Greensboro, NC

Now a fan.

5+    4/26/2010   12/14/2009
Review By: AdamCaudle
This review was updated on 4/26/2010
Pros: - There is good use of elevation here, especially on the front 9. 1 is a big uphill shot while 5 & 6 are two nice "wow" downhill shots (especially 5).
- There is a decent mix of pretty open shots, moderately open with a few trees, and woods type holes.
- The course has a challenging length to it with most holes in the 300-400 ft range.
- The 6 or 7 holes that play in the woods are fun and tight. They reward an accurate throw and punish throws that are off line.
- All baskets are in good working order. For some reason they all have neon pink/green tape on them right now.
Cons: - I don't mind good dirt teepads, but these are in poor condition. They are just worn out ruts in the grass with little white cylinders to mark where they are. It would be nice if they would make a square with 2x4's and fill 'em in with dirt and rake them once in a while.
- None of the holes are marked with numbers or distance or anything. Some good tee signs would help new players find the holes. It's nearly impossible to navigate without knowing the course or without a map because it doesn't have a very natural flow or layout to it.
Other Thoughts: After playing this course as a better player I now appreciate the challenges it offers, while I still realize the obvious flaws in the course.

I still don't exactly know where the hole 7 and hole 17 tees are. We just throw from a big dirt spot in the ground. If you get stuck at 8, make an immediate left from the basket and go in the opening the woods. Go across the little dam thing, and the tee for 9 shoots slightly uphill into the woods.

not that great

1    7/11/2009   7/18/2009
Review By: jason6253
Pros: Nice and challenging. First 8 holes are open and pretty easy to find the hole.
Cons: Poor Signage, Dirt and gravel tees make it easier to slip and hurt yourself, lots of poison ivy around the wooded holes, construction stuff makes obstacles. It was hard finding the tee on some holes.
Other Thoughts: Very challenging course. Not a course for beginners. Most hole lengths are in the 200's and 300's.

Not bad, Not bad

5+    5/2/2009   5/2/2009
Review By: zbyrd
Pros: Some long holes to flex your distance shot. Good mix of open and wooded. This course makes good use of elevation. Hole 6 (I think) has a big drop towards the basket. Someone with a strong drive could throw it 500 from here, but the basket is only 350-400ish. 14 is similar because in terms of elevation drop. These downhill throws challenge your ability to throw straight because most fades and annies will make their way into the woods. The wooded holes are nice change of pace, but still relatively straight forward.

The course isn't a busy one, so you can take your time. It is very convenient to I-40.
Cons: The only true con is the poor signage. Other than that the only con is that the course is sort of bland overall. Other than the elevation stuff, there isn't much creativity in terms of shot selection. It isn't broken in any way, but nothing impresses me about it.
Other Thoughts: Johnson Street or North Asheboro are better choices if you are in the area. None the less, it is fun and reasonably challenging. If you haven't played it, it is worth a round, but it probably won't wow you.

B = Better Than Average

2-4    9/22/2005   4/19/2009
Pros: What I personally like and how this course stacks up:
1) Holes with good risk/reward -- B-
2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities -- B+
3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography -- B
4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion -- B-

Ghetto Cedarock

5+    4/15/2009   4/15/2009
Review By: BrotherDave
This review was updated on 11/7/2011
Pros: One of the longer courses in the area and its openness makes it somewhat novel. This is almost decidedly going to be favored more by bigger arms who can reach the basket on the wide open front 9. The back 9 is more of your typical, NC wooded DG. Some holes play in and out of the woods which is a big plus in my book. Most of these wooded holes are moderately wooded, with some marginally tight. Rough is pretty merciful on most holes but be wary of fences, the creek, and some thick schule along them.

The park is actually very nice, not that ghetto at all really, with the grass usually kept well mowed. Decent amenities as well with a nice new playground for the kiddies and a large gym, which, when open, has bathrooms and a GATORADE VENDING MACHINE!!!! Sorry, I love being able to get gatorade on site.

Most holes play more or less straight as the crow flies, with some wooded holes playing slightly left to right. Elevation change helps to make up for this lack of hole variety by favoring some lines over others. Good course for practicing gentle turn over shots. Scorecards are available with course map, at hole one, make navigating MUCH easier. A good course to play when you want to warmed by the sun or on a windy day if you want some challenge.
Cons: Some of the holes on the back 9 seem to be
"out of sight, out of mind" for the park maintenance people, as some litter and the gross creek reminds you. There are no tee pads nor signage for the holes, just rutted out bare spots near the concrete pavers that designate the tees. No benches either save a spot or two that syncs up with other park benches. The course can get a bit swampy after a heavy rain and for some reason, the fairway for hole #7 seems to always be torn up by someone doing doughnuts or figure 8's or something.

Not in the finest neighborhood but certainly not the worst, though I wouldn't like to play alone near dusk on the regular.

Lost disc hazards: The left side of the fairway on hole #3 drops away, is thick with schule, and has lots of trash dumped there. Not fun to scramble around. A fence and a nasty creek is immediately on the left on hole #8. #13 has a forked tree in the middle of the fairway with a fairly deep hole in it. I never thought I'd throw a disc in there but I found a way to the other day. Sucks.
Other Thoughts: I had a local to show me around, guy was cool as a moose. I asked him about the neighborhood issue and he said that in his 12 years of playing there he had never had a problem as he knocked on wood. It is definitely a course where some "urban" males might stroll through but I'd play there, especially with a buddy. Hole 14 is as nice a hole I've seen, you tee off inside the woods, down hill straight into a field with the basket nestled behind two nice oak trees. Hole 16 is very uninspired, short, straight, easy, and the walk to that hole is insultingly long and uphill.

For regulars

5+    8/21/2008   3/6/2009
Review By: JLKeip
This review was updated on 8/5/2011
Pros: Course and holes are well maintained and usually playable. Once you know the course, it's fairly easy to follow. Nice mix of woods and open holes.
Cons: I would prefer holes with multiple tees.
The course is not well marked and can be tough to follow the first time; toughest transition is from 8 to 9 - you need to cut through a fence and go across a small creek/sewage runoff. walk from 15 to 16 you will likely feel as tough you are going the wrong way before you reach it.
Other Thoughts: Hole 14 can be an issue if baseball or softball is being played. Holes 5, 11, and 14 are the most interesting/challenging plays in my opinion. I missed hole #11 the first time I played, don't follow the baseball fence - go into the woods.

All 18 Holes Playable Now

1    2/22/2009   2/22/2009
Review By: hycard
This review was updated on 2/25/2009
Pros: Long and open front nine great for warming up and airing out.

Back nine mostly wooded much more technical shots to test your accuracy.

Decent scenery despite the surrounding area.
Cons: First: Signage.
With a few more signs to help first-timers this course could be easily navigated; however, current signage conditions (and map/scorecard) just make the course confusing.

Second: Tee pads.
Or lack there of. There are no tee pads. This would not be such a con if there were adequate signs pointing you to next tee and marking the tee areas.

Other Thoughts: I liked the variety of shots - no chance of getting bored here.

Course has a lot of potential. A little time and effort along with some interest in improvement from the community would go a long way.
Add decent signs for navigation and any improvement to the tee areas and you could bump this course up to at least 3.5 out of 5.

1    11/14/2008   1/9/2009
Review By: KnightAce222
This review was updated on 1/19/2009
Pros: Front eight holes are open with flat and hills with room for errors. The number nine hole and back 9 holes are mostly wooded except a few. A new comer to the sport could use the front 9 holes to learn.
Cons: The Tee boxes for the start of the holes lack any real identifying makings. The holes are marked by a painted white concrete nub of a pole, a flag on a wire used in marking underground utilities, a nail with survey tape and no markings, just plain hard to see. I was able to find some of the Tee boxes by the so/so rock dirt pitting out tees. Some of the tee boxes were not too safe and that made for some injuries to ooccur. If the tees boxes were to get wet with the pitting could cause tripping. When you do find the tee boxes you then have to find the baskets some are marked 1 and 3 visible other are 5's (on a scale of 1 - 5 poor to good ) Also they do have a score card at hole one with the lay out it helped some. Holes #7 and #8 are basically in a swamp. The ending of #7 and start of #8 are just too wet. This brings me to hole #9 which from #8 was hard to find which way to go. Then seeing a small sign with an arrow that pointed over a stream to hole #9. The crossing was over a pipe of at least 4 feet high used for sewage that made a little dam and a nice water fall. To cross over this stream you had to jump or step on two concrete pads to get over. Slip while trying to get to hole #9 could be a wet fall or a wet fall hitting your head and or falling 4 foot plus into a pool of water. I was going to have a friend bring his young daughter. After seeing this unsafe route, I was just upset that the city of Greensboro could not spend more to make a better course and safter. I left after the 9th hole and I might return to play the back 9.
Other Thoughts: "Quote: Please only rate a course if you have played all the holes on it. Quote"
I would have but I was upset that the city of Greensboro could not put a bit more money into this course, that has the means to be a better course.

5+    10/18/2008   10/20/2008
Review By: buddy
This review was updated on 4/16/2011
Other Thoughts: This course has grown on me over the years. The park has been improved over the last couple years and is actually pretty nice except the neighborhood around it is pretty sketchy. Overall, there is variety, long/short holes, open/tight holes and elevation change. I would recommend if you're in the area but I wouldn't go out of my way to play it.

2-4    7/27/2008   8/27/2008
Review By: Behace
Pros: It's the only game in town. That and it's still disc golf are the only positives.
Cons: No signs. Uneven dirt tees with many chances to sprain an ankle. Very little course planning. One hole will end and the next tee will be hundreds of feet away with no direction where to go. Even with the "map" that you can pick up, which is not even close to being drawn to scale, you will have no idea where the next hole is on many holes.
Other Thoughts: Disregarding the 3 holes that are off limits because of construction, and have been that way for years now, this is the poorest example of a disc golf course that I have ever played, and I played a short 9 hole course set up by Eagle scout as his service project. While this course is only 5 minute from my house I would much rather drive over an hour to a much better course. When you are playing the course you get the feeling that they just threw this together to say that they have a frolf course. I will not play this course again unless their are a number of drastic changes. Anyone that gives this a rating higher than a 1 has obviously never played at a nice course.