Knoxville, TN
Victor Ashe Park Share
Uploaded By: DiscChainBasket18 Hole #18 (Taken 11/2008)

Nice bomber course

1    3/7/2011   3/10/2011
Review By: culinarywiz
Pros: Huge concrete tee pads. This was a big plus for me. These pads were ideal for this long, relatively open course.

Nice bomber course. If you like to grip and rip this is the place for you. Very few plain holes. The elevation and scattered tree coverage kept each hole challenging and interesting.

Great elevation changes. These changes affected my disc selection on many holes.

Cool signature holes #1 and #12. As soon as you arrive you step up to hole #1 and realize you may be in for a real challenge today. I throw primarily LHBH and this pin is perched precariously close to a pond on a sweeping anny line (LHBH). There are multiple trees that force a precise toss to land safely on dry land. Hole 12 was a huge bomb from an elevated pad, over tree tops, to a pin approx. 550ft. ahead. Due to the raised pad, this hole was reachable. Loved watching my discs sail here. I tossed many discs off this tee.
Cons: The course ran along more back yards than I had expected. Also, a walking path wound through much of the course. Even in the less than ideal weather, I had to wait a few times for walkers/runners. I can only assume in the spring and summer, this park will be very busy.

Not all pins were in play. Each hole sign detailed two pin placements. Many of them were blind. After realizing the long pin on #3 was missing (which totally sucked because I was looking forward to that 1100ft fairway), I began walking each hole prior to throwing. Many pins were missing - sometimes the long one and sometimes the short one. Many holes, both were present. The problem is you cannot tell from most pads. The signs do not detail this.

There has been plenty of rain lately, however, it is clear that low lying areas get marshy through the year.
Other Thoughts: This was a fun course. I was initially hoping for a bit more seclusion, but the park is beautiful. Being early March, I missed out on most of the foliage. Hopefully I will make it back down when this course is in bloom and many of the fairways tighten up.

This course is clearly well maintained. There is a lot of ground to cover here and no area seemed run down or neglected.

Just a note, hole 16 has some very dense rough. Looked for 30 mins to find my drive. Keep in safe here.

Good and indifferent...

1    1/27/2011   3/9/2011
Review By: EddieBTrue
Pros: Clean. Safe. Looooong. Hole 1 as a signature for any course. Concrete pads. Great course for folks with cannonesque arms!
Cons: There were no discernible 'next tee' directional signs; so it was difficult finding where to go next. It would appear this is a former ball golf course; so there is a ton of walking between some of the holes.
Other Thoughts: Of the four courses in the Knoxville area my son and I played over a w/e trip this was the highest rated. Having said that, Admiral Farragut was more fun; however Victor Ashe is a much nicer overall park and 18 holes to boot. If you are a beginner this course is good in that you'll probably not have any problem losing a disc. Still, if you don't possess long throw skill you will take a lot of extra strokes as the course is very long.

5+    12/6/2010   12/6/2010
Review By: coolhand
Pros: fun open course. big shots. some placement golf on a couple holes. good mix of left right. played here quite a bit when it was first built. they've made a few nice tweaks to it. easy 9 hole loop if you're in a hurry. back 9 is more difficult.
Cons: too open i think. long walk back to 15.

What a huge course!

1    10/24/2010   10/25/2010
Review By: johnnyfoodstamp
Pros: Very nice design. Hole 1 plays over a nice pond with a fountain. Hole 9 plays through a peach orchard. Huge course. They have room for 36 holes out there. Huge concrete tee pads and trash cans and benches on most holes.
Cons: The trip from 6 to 7 is hard to find. Walk to the left after the basket and you will see it to the right up the trail a bit.
Other Thoughts: Huge course with lots of room to throw. Several signature holes. Will definitely make the trip back.

Mix of everthing

5+    10/16/2010   10/20/2010
Review By: curveball4
Pros: Some holes are wide open, some are fairly wooded. Good mix of shots, places to bomb away & places to pull back & hit a line. Decent length holes for a noodle arm like mine but a few I can get there in one. Awesome concrete pads, nice & big, 2 hole locations. 1st hole over a lake. Nice practice basket by #1 tee
Cons: A lot of walkers near a couple of the holes, city park so lots of people on weekends & evenings, not all golfers though. LONG walks between some of the holes, good exercise. 5-6 & 14-15 can get a person lost if it's their first time. There are bathrooms but they are at the other side of the park, none near the course. Grass isn't mowed as often as it should be, have come close to loosing disc in the fairway when grass was at it's highest
Other Thoughts: A good to place to play, where I usually go. You will walk alot, bring plenty of water in the summer. Good variety of shots- wide open, some with many trees, #18 HEAVILY wooded. Would recommend to play, nice course in a nice area. Find a map online, you will need it your first time

Long throws, longer walks

2-4    8/26/2010   8/26/2010
Review By: maynes35
Pros: Just judging this course on the actual holes themselves is why I considered this "Very Good". The signs were great and having multiple basket locations is very cool. The tee pads were awesome, long and concrete (I hate bad tees, and these are great). The baskets were all nice. Very challenging course, which is nice from time to time, if you shoot even or under par (54) you're a really solid disc golfer. The surrounding area is nice and the disc golfers out there seemed to be nice.
Cons: The flow from hole to hole is not so good. My goodness some of it doesn't make any sense. Even when you know where you're going it's still a really long walk #3 to #4 and #14 to #15 are really long and you could get lost of turn around before you reach the next tee. Areas off the fairway are extremely thick. I spent about an hour looking for discs and I'm a decent disc golfer. I wouldn't recommend playing this course alone because finding discs is a pain! Some holes are very long, so for newer players and beginners the 1100, and several 600+ foot holes are very rough! If you don't know where to look for the basket in it's different locations you will be just "throwing and hoping" you picked the right path. There is no indication of where to go from the basket to the next tee, which is rough when it is no where in sight.
Other Thoughts: It was hard to decide on my rating, I thought about a 3.0 instead but the actual holes are pretty good disc golf holes. It seems like I had more "cons" than "pros" but the actual holes were all pretty good. If you know where you're going and no where the basket is, then you'll enjoy this course much more. Best of luck first timers to the course because you'll spend probably an hour or more looking for baskets, tee boxes and discs lost in the deep trees! It would be great if there was some indication of which location the baskets are in on that day.

Fun Course

1    8/13/2010   8/18/2010
Review By: philman
Pros: I thought this was a fun course in a nice park. There were a variety of shots and a chance to use multiple throws/discs. Very picturesque #1.
Cons: Signage was not good. It was hard to find the next hole and it wasn't always logical.
Other Thoughts: Grass was a little high but I don't fault the course or park for this. It was being cut at the time we were playing which was 10 am on a Friday morning. Not the time you expect a lot of people to be playing. I would definitely play this course again if I found myself in Knoxville.

Bring Your Walking Shoes!

1    6/24/2010   6/25/2010
Review By: Thundering Elephants
Pros: The course is easily accessible with it being close to the Interstate. Great concrete tee pads (very large). Every tee had a sign which showed distance for multiple pin settings. Set in a very nice park. There were restroom facilities in the park, but they were not convenient to the course in my opinion. A decent blend of open and wooded and elevation changes. There were a lot of long throws required on this course. I think the longest hole I played was over a 1000 ft. If you like to add in exercise by walking, this is the course for you! Most of the course is away from walking paths and the main part of the park, so you don't have to worry too much about nailing pedestrians with a disc. There was a practice basket near hole 1.
Cons: As always, I hate to complain about a course, because I'm always thankful to have one, no matter what, since that's better than none! Having said that, there is a LOT of walking on this course. Not necessarily a bad thing, but it does get old and requires more time than usual to play 18. Not knowing where the basket is placed (due to multiple placement options on the tee signs) on blind shots could get frustrating. The layout and flow just didn't feel natural to me, but I guess they did what they had to, to get the kind of shots the designers wanted in the course.
Other Thoughts: I imagine this would not be a fun course in the dead of summer from 11AM -4PM. The sun/heat on the wide open fields mixed with tons of walking could be brutal. Luckily when I played there was a quick rainstorm and then cloudcover that kept things much cooler. When I played the fields had just been mowed, so I don't know if this happens regularly or if the grass gets knee/waist high before it is mowed again. If it gets that high, I can't imagine trying to find discs on all the blind shots. It would be nice if some locals could become course guides on the dgcoursereview website to help visitors navigate the course and current pin placements. I thankfully knew a local, so I was very fortunate to have a guide to show me all the tees and tell me where the pins were placed for the many blind throws. This is my main complaint, that without help, I could probably navigate with the map on this website, but more times than not you can't see the basket, and there is no indication on the sign/map which placement it is currently at (obviously you can walk up the fairway and find out, but the walking is already insane on this course). There seemed to be a lot of activity on the course, so chances are a visitor could find someone to tag along with. Hole 1 was pretty cool with having to throw a good distance over a pond. I'm not a great golfer, and can only throw 350-400 feet max (with little accuracy at that distance), and I found very few birdie opportunities for my skill level. All in all, I had a great time playing this course and recommend it, and hope to play it again sometime when I'm traveling through Knoxville.

What a long, strange trip this course was.

1    6/15/2010   6/17/2010
Review By: numbernine
Pros: - Good, not great, Innova baskets on every hole. They seemed to catch true and were all in good shape.

- Uncracked, long concrete pads on every single hole. Good launch areas all told. Very little mud around the pad on most holes, minus one or two here and there.

- Good signage at the tee pad itself to let you know how far out each basket was, and which direction. There was some down side to these signs, but I will get there later.

- OK variety in shots. Lots and lots of very long holes. Some shorter holes, but most of them were bomber holes. there was, 13 I think, a creative hole cut into the woods coming from the wide open.

- Tons of elevation change. Though it could have been used better, there are lots and lots of elevation change shots on this course. Loads of blind shots going down hill. Some more shots going uphill, but not as many as there could be.

- Awesome #1 and #18. 1 starts over a lake and 18 ends in the woods for a VERY hard techie type shot.

- Very nice park with lots of amenities. Though not many of those are near the disc golf course.

- Practice basket! Although I didn't see it until the round was over. :(

- Nice locals who helped me navigate this monster! Thanks guys!
Cons: - I'll start out with the most glaringly obvious con - The layout of this course is just plain TERRIBLE. Going from 2 to 3 makes almost no sense. 3 to 4 is just ridiculous. I would have never found 6 had some locals not stopped me and pointed me in the right direction. The walk between 14 and 15 might seriously be the longest walk I've ever made on a disc golf course, ever. Had it not been for the guys stopping me on 5 and making sure that I knew where I was going, there is absolutely no way that I would have found the hole. Maybe if I was leaving the course in anger I would have found it. This issue could be fixed by some signs here and there that say "Hole #6 this way" or something. But as it stands, I wouldn't go out on this course by yourself. And if I had to play it again, I wouldn't look forward to it. There is just so much distance between a lot of the holes that it almost makes the round not fun.

- while the signs at the tee pads are good, I wouldn't call them great. a few of the holes simply weren't where the signs said they were, at any of the positions. and since many of the holes were blind shots, this was super frustrating. I'm looking at you hole 15.

- many of the holes felt "uninspired", if that makes sense. many of the holes were just long holes in the middle of an open field type area. cool elevation change, but that was the only interesting part at all. and even the changes weren't used all that well.
Other Thoughts: This is an Ok course. I honestly wouldn't hustle out to play it again, but I wouldn't not play it again either. The layout is just so frustrating that it really killed the round for me.

I recorded a lot of this round in HD as I went, so please check that out here:

And let me know if the video helps the review. This is my third video review, and I feel like it helps give a better idea of the course. Etc.

5+    3/4/2010   3/21/2010
Review By: DGphanatic
Pros: Lots of holes to grip and rip it but enough variety that your gonna have to use back and forehand throws. If your not able to accurately throw 300+ on hole 1 you might want to play off to the left side, beside the pond. # 3 is a good hole to test your might. After you play hole 5, follow the walking path left for about 600 ft, to get to hole 6. It will be on the right side of the path. I dont think there is a single hole I dont like here. Its a wonderful course and I really like hole 9 when the basket is at the long location. There is a nice nook you have to throw down to once you crest the hill. Signage would help but once you play this course you wont forget it. After hole 14, walk back towards #5 basket and go past it to get to hole 15. Hole 18 is also a nice hole and good use of trees to make it slightly difficult but there are many routes to take to reach the basket. I'd have to say that this is one of my favs.
Cons: Very long course, so wear comfortable shoes and if your gonna play in the summer bring lots of water. Navigation is needed but really only for 5 to 6 and 14 to 15. The rest is pretty much easy to find.
Other Thoughts: I would recommend this course any day of the week. I love it and try my best to corse my wife to let me take the hour drive to go play it when I can.