Knoxville, TN
Victor Ashe Park Share
Uploaded By: DiscChainBasket18 Hole #3 (Taken 11/2008)

Distance and Terrain

1    7/24/2010   7/4/2011
Review By: Brent Renken
Pros: 500' holes are a norm on this course so it'll give you a chance to work on your arm. It blends open space, hills and trees into a great combination of challenging holes. This course provides the rare opportunity to throw over the tops of trees while standing on the peak of huge hills...this is a shot you'll want to toss a few discs on for novelty sake.

It's a long course so wear your walking shoes. I would play this course again.
Cons: The pros could also be viewed as cons. There is more focus on the length of your drive and less on the precision of the placement.

The holes aren't marked very well either. I tagged along with a local which was the only reason I was able to find half the holes.
Other Thoughts: It's hot in the summer so bring water.

Victor Ashe Park

1    5/27/2011   5/30/2011
Review By: 3OrangeWhips
Pros:
• Huge park, huge course.
• Big concrete tee pads and signage on every hole.
• Get ready for some sort of challenge on every hole.
• Mostly long holes with lots of challenging obstacles and pin positions. Chicks dig the long ball.
• Lots of rolling elevation.
Cons:
• DISCLAIMER: These cons are sort of picky, but they need to mentioned because you could have trouble if you are not aware of them. They definitely do not detract from the overall playability of the course.
• The signage is pretty generic and doesn't accurately show you where the baskets are. No way to know what position the pin is in if you cant actually see it from the tee pad. We had a local guide and would not have known where to throw without him.
• The course flow is a little weird with the holes being in three groups (1-5, 6-14, 15-18) in different areas of the park, with long walks between the three groups. The course map did not seem to match the actual layout of the course, so take your time navigating.
• Not a course for beginners, kids, families, etc. The water on #1 is unplayable for many. Although the map showed an alternate tee pad for weenies like me, I could not find it so I just started on hole #2.
Other Thoughts: This course really feels like a championship caliber course. It is obvious that whoever laid out this course knew what they were doing. I have a weak game, but still really enjoyed playing here. The course appears to be built on old farmland based on the appearance of barbed wire fences here and there. The holes are not wooded but have plenty of rolling hills and big old trees to make you think before you throw. Big arms will love this course, lesser arms will love the opportunity to work on their distance throws. Definitely the "must play" course in the Knoxville area.

Definitely worth it

1    5/11/2011   5/12/2011
Review By: ChronoDisc
Pros: It is a beautiful park and is very well maintained. Nice tee boxes and signs at every hole. It was a good mix of holes with a nice variety of shots needed. It was a decent challenge as well. Definitely will be returning here.
Cons: Trash cans were overflowing. Without the help of some locals I dont think we would have ever found some of the holes. We didnt feel like the signage quite accurately represented the holes such as the distance being off.
Other Thoughts: Now that I know my way around the course the next play through will be even better.

If you can, play it!

5+    4/19/2011   4/19/2011
Review By: tjweig
Pros: I've played Victor Ashe probably 20 times and really like this course. Is it the nicest/best course I've ever played? No. But I'd say it ranks better than many in most aspects. It sits in a really nice park. Huge teepads. Practice basket. Feild next to parking lot to warm up in when soccer games aren't going on. Multiple baskets on several holes. Almost all of the single basket holes have multiple placements. Tons of parking.

I think this course will challenge most mere mortals.
Cons: The distance on this course isn't out of control, but for beginners or those who just can't throw too far, this course is tough. I don't see many beginners getting too many birdie looks on this course.

There are plenty of trash cans on this course, but most of the time they are overflowing.

Maybe this is just me, but there are a few basket placements that aren't reflected well in the signage. But for the most part signage is good.

If you're looking for a woods course, this isn't it. There are trees, you're just not in the woods.

Most reviews state the course layout is a big con. It doesn't bother me at all. The flow from hole to hole isn't seamless, but I've never once gotten frustrated because I had to walk a little bit from five to six, or from 14 to 15.
Other Thoughts: I know not everyone can play this course during the week, but week days are far less crowded then weekends. And earlier in the day is almost always better. I've played this course before and been the only person out. I've also played it when its been extremely crowded. It'll take you a long time to play when its crowded.

This is a very spread out course, so you'll be doing some walking. I think they could fit in at least 9 more holes no problem.

This is a very nice park, and so there are a lot of people that aren't disc golfers that show up. They are usually smart enough to stay out of the way. Playing a course this open in a strong wind can be a bear, I've done it a few times.

The first hole is awesome, but I think most people skip it and just start on hole 2.

Rude Golfers Spoil the Course

1    2/19/2011   3/20/2011
Review By: DSCJNKY
Pros:
- Great Golf. Victor Ashe has some great golf to be played… I can see why Will Schusterick and Kris Orrick have gotten so good… Victor Ashe has it all. Long open Holes, short technical Holes, elevation, a little water, punishing ruff, etc…
- Multiple Pin Placements. Every Hole seemed to have two or more pin placements that the baskets could rotate between, and 5 or 6 Holes that had two pins in the ground, giving the players options to play the Hole as Long or Short. This is a good touch that allows more advanced players the ability to play the Longs, while more recreational groups play may prefer to play the shorts. (However, see also Cons).
- Amenities. Victor Ashe has proper concrete tees, decent enough signage, benches on a few of holes (could have been more), and restrooms (on the other side of the park).
Cons:
- Rude Golfers. I have never before been to a course with players that had less etiquette than Victor Ashe. Groups of golfers were cutting the course left and right. For example, as we were finishing Hole 1, two groups raced over to Hole 2's tee and jumped in front of us??? This is probably common as beginners would be scared to play Hole 1.
Similarly, the tees for Holes 3 and 5 are close together so when there was a back-up on 3, groups would cut to Hole 5, which created more back-ups. And finally, since the back-up on 5 was bad (4 groups waiting), the group in the back of the line decided to skip to Hole 6… so as my 3-sum finished Hole 5, a five-pack was racing past us trying to beat us to the tee of 6. When we got to Hole 6, they were looking at us like, "We got here first".
- Speeds of Play. Because they have 2 pin positions on 5 or 6 of the Holes (Long and Short), and we were playing the longs… there was a lot of conflict between our group and the groups playing the shorts. It can become frustrating to always have the short groups running up on you every hole and wanting to play through. By the time we had finished the long pin positions, the group behind us had rushed through the short and raced over to the next tee-pad trying to get in front of us.

Bottom Line: The course is packed... there 5-sums on every hole... I'd love to let you play through... but, there's no where to go... So, you need to wait for your f-ing turn people.
- Overall… Victor Ashe is definitely a championship level course. Big arm holes, technical placement holes, Par 4's, a testy water crossing, punishment for bad shots, lots of elevation, and lots of different types of shots required. It is definitely more Open than Wooded, but trees are a factor on almost every Hole and definitely force particular types of shots.
- My Score: 68 (on the Longs, Lefty)

1    7/20/2009   3/16/2011
Review By: bjreagh
Pros: 18 hole course very spread out over some spacious land in a city park. This course is in a nice area of town that makes you feel safer about being here, playing, and leaving your car unattended for a couple of hours (unlike nearby Morningside). Each hole has a concrete tee and serviceable basket. The tee signs are not the newest, but are still decent and, most importantly, informative.

General hole design is pretty good. There is variety here as some holes are wide open, many play through an orchard-like area of several isolated trees, hole #1 plays over water, and #18 plays through more dense woods. There is some minor elevation that comes into play on some of the holes as well. This course is longer and spread out so it takes a lot longer than normal to play 18 holes which tests both your physical and mental toughness along with your shot making skills.

Hole #1 is one of the better disc golf holes around, and maybe the best opening hole your will find anywhere. The slightly elevated tee plays across the large pond to a basket located on a peninsula that is well protected by trees and other plants. This is a tough opening hole (no warm-up holes before trouble here!) with a chance to lose a disc on your first throw. And then if you do it will be a mental challenge to forget about it over the next 17 holes.

For those who have the ability to throw it really far, this course provides some opportunity as there are several really long holes that are wide open. These holes are also good for newer players trying to improve length or learn shot shapes without having to worry about losing a disc .
Cons: The layout is pretty bad. The flow does not seem logical and is very unnatural in many spots. There are a couple of places where there are long walks to the next hole, and then there is the walk from 15-16 that has to be the longest walk between holes in the world. What makes these walks worse is there is absolutely no signage telling you which way to go or that you still have a mile to go before you will see the path to the next tee. Thankfully the course was crowded and there were locals to assist us. It was obvious by the comments that they know navigation is a problem, but nobody seems to see the need to fix it.

Speaking of crowds, this course is very popular by players of all ages and skill levels, as it viewed by many to be the best in the area, so you probably encounter lots of other people playing here, and many may be in larger than normal groups. Also a factor is the walking trail that runs along and through the same area of the park. You will possibly have to wait on walkers, runners, dog walkers, etc. as this park is very popular for these activities as well.

I am not a huge fan of really long holes that are completely wide open, and this course has several of them, often back to back. Most of the other holes in the middle are just ok, nothing that really stands out, and they do start to get repetitive. As listed as a pro, hole #1 is awesome and you hope the whole course is up to that standard, but unfortunately it goes downhill quickly after that. (We joked that if we ever came back, we would just play #1 a few times and then leave!)

This course is a long walk and takes extra time to play because of its length, long walks, and popularity. It does not loop back to the car in the middle of the round, and there is little shade. During the summer months, add in the TN heat and humidity, and this course can take a lot out of you- almost to where it might not be fun if you are not prepared.
Other Thoughts: This course is very popular locally and many seem to really enjoy this course, but I personally found it to be average and generally uninteresting. There are a few good holes here, and I can see some positives, but there are really just too many cons for this to be a top level course and major disc golf destination. Knoxville as a whole for disc golf would rank in TN below the Nashville, Memphis, and Bristol areas in my opinion. OK if you are passing through, but don't make it a priority destination.

I was debating between a 2.5 and a 3.0, but I give it a strong 2.5, which is the rating for a decent/typical course. It does not place in the upper half of all the courses I have played, it is just on the outside.

A Round at Victor

1    3/11/2011   3/11/2011
Review By: rpitt08
Pros: Concrete tee pads, tee signs, practice basket, some nice elevation changes and contoured pins. Long tees and baskets on many holes and helpful locals.
Cons: Very tough on a windy day. Could use some "next tee" indicators.
Other Thoughts: Very challenging course with very few opportunities for twos. I like that but not too beginner friendly. Awesome course and definitely a should play!

Nice bomber course

1    3/7/2011   3/10/2011
Review By: culinarywiz
Pros: Huge concrete tee pads. This was a big plus for me. These pads were ideal for this long, relatively open course.

Nice bomber course. If you like to grip and rip this is the place for you. Very few plain holes. The elevation and scattered tree coverage kept each hole challenging and interesting.

Great elevation changes. These changes affected my disc selection on many holes.

Cool signature holes #1 and #12. As soon as you arrive you step up to hole #1 and realize you may be in for a real challenge today. I throw primarily LHBH and this pin is perched precariously close to a pond on a sweeping anny line (LHBH). There are multiple trees that force a precise toss to land safely on dry land. Hole 12 was a huge bomb from an elevated pad, over tree tops, to a pin approx. 550ft. ahead. Due to the raised pad, this hole was reachable. Loved watching my discs sail here. I tossed many discs off this tee.
Cons: The course ran along more back yards than I had expected. Also, a walking path wound through much of the course. Even in the less than ideal weather, I had to wait a few times for walkers/runners. I can only assume in the spring and summer, this park will be very busy.

Not all pins were in play. Each hole sign detailed two pin placements. Many of them were blind. After realizing the long pin on #3 was missing (which totally sucked because I was looking forward to that 1100ft fairway), I began walking each hole prior to throwing. Many pins were missing - sometimes the long one and sometimes the short one. Many holes, both were present. The problem is you cannot tell from most pads. The signs do not detail this.

There has been plenty of rain lately, however, it is clear that low lying areas get marshy through the year.
Other Thoughts: This was a fun course. I was initially hoping for a bit more seclusion, but the park is beautiful. Being early March, I missed out on most of the foliage. Hopefully I will make it back down when this course is in bloom and many of the fairways tighten up.

This course is clearly well maintained. There is a lot of ground to cover here and no area seemed run down or neglected.

Just a note, hole 16 has some very dense rough. Looked for 30 mins to find my drive. Keep in safe here.

Good and indifferent...

1    1/27/2011   3/9/2011
Review By: EddieBTrue
Pros: Clean. Safe. Looooong. Hole 1 as a signature for any course. Concrete pads. Great course for folks with cannonesque arms!
Cons: There were no discernible 'next tee' directional signs; so it was difficult finding where to go next. It would appear this is a former ball golf course; so there is a ton of walking between some of the holes.
Other Thoughts: Of the four courses in the Knoxville area my son and I played over a w/e trip this was the highest rated. Having said that, Admiral Farragut was more fun; however Victor Ashe is a much nicer overall park and 18 holes to boot. If you are a beginner this course is good in that you'll probably not have any problem losing a disc. Still, if you don't possess long throw skill you will take a lot of extra strokes as the course is very long.

5+    12/6/2010   12/6/2010
Review By: coolhand
Pros: fun open course. big shots. some placement golf on a couple holes. good mix of left right. played here quite a bit when it was first built. they've made a few nice tweaks to it. easy 9 hole loop if you're in a hurry. back 9 is more difficult.
Cons: too open i think. long walk back to 15.