Knoxville, TN
Victor Ashe Park Share
Uploaded By: DiscChainBasket18 Hole #9 (Taken 11/2009)

What a huge course!

1    10/24/2010   10/25/2010
Review By: johnnyfoodstamp
Pros: Very nice design. Hole 1 plays over a nice pond with a fountain. Hole 9 plays through a peach orchard. Huge course. They have room for 36 holes out there. Huge concrete tee pads and trash cans and benches on most holes.
Cons: The trip from 6 to 7 is hard to find. Walk to the left after the basket and you will see it to the right up the trail a bit.
Other Thoughts: Huge course with lots of room to throw. Several signature holes. Will definitely make the trip back.

Mix of everthing

5+    10/16/2010   10/20/2010
Review By: curveball4
Pros: Some holes are wide open, some are fairly wooded. Good mix of shots, places to bomb away & places to pull back & hit a line. Decent length holes for a noodle arm like mine but a few I can get there in one. Awesome concrete pads, nice & big, 2 hole locations. 1st hole over a lake. Nice practice basket by #1 tee
Cons: A lot of walkers near a couple of the holes, city park so lots of people on weekends & evenings, not all golfers though. LONG walks between some of the holes, good exercise. 5-6 & 14-15 can get a person lost if it's their first time. There are bathrooms but they are at the other side of the park, none near the course. Grass isn't mowed as often as it should be, have come close to loosing disc in the fairway when grass was at it's highest
Other Thoughts: A good to place to play, where I usually go. You will walk alot, bring plenty of water in the summer. Good variety of shots- wide open, some with many trees, #18 HEAVILY wooded. Would recommend to play, nice course in a nice area. Find a map online, you will need it your first time

Long throws, longer walks

2-4    8/26/2010   8/26/2010
Review By: maynes35
Pros: Just judging this course on the actual holes themselves is why I considered this "Very Good". The signs were great and having multiple basket locations is very cool. The tee pads were awesome, long and concrete (I hate bad tees, and these are great). The baskets were all nice. Very challenging course, which is nice from time to time, if you shoot even or under par (54) you're a really solid disc golfer. The surrounding area is nice and the disc golfers out there seemed to be nice.
Cons: The flow from hole to hole is not so good. My goodness some of it doesn't make any sense. Even when you know where you're going it's still a really long walk #3 to #4 and #14 to #15 are really long and you could get lost of turn around before you reach the next tee. Areas off the fairway are extremely thick. I spent about an hour looking for discs and I'm a decent disc golfer. I wouldn't recommend playing this course alone because finding discs is a pain! Some holes are very long, so for newer players and beginners the 1100, and several 600+ foot holes are very rough! If you don't know where to look for the basket in it's different locations you will be just "throwing and hoping" you picked the right path. There is no indication of where to go from the basket to the next tee, which is rough when it is no where in sight.
Other Thoughts: It was hard to decide on my rating, I thought about a 3.0 instead but the actual holes are pretty good disc golf holes. It seems like I had more "cons" than "pros" but the actual holes were all pretty good. If you know where you're going and no where the basket is, then you'll enjoy this course much more. Best of luck first timers to the course because you'll spend probably an hour or more looking for baskets, tee boxes and discs lost in the deep trees! It would be great if there was some indication of which location the baskets are in on that day.

Fun Course

1    8/13/2010   8/18/2010
Review By: philman
Pros: I thought this was a fun course in a nice park. There were a variety of shots and a chance to use multiple throws/discs. Very picturesque #1.
Cons: Signage was not good. It was hard to find the next hole and it wasn't always logical.
Other Thoughts: Grass was a little high but I don't fault the course or park for this. It was being cut at the time we were playing which was 10 am on a Friday morning. Not the time you expect a lot of people to be playing. I would definitely play this course again if I found myself in Knoxville.

Bring Your Walking Shoes!

1    6/24/2010   6/25/2010
Review By: Thundering Elephants
Pros: The course is easily accessible with it being close to the Interstate. Great concrete tee pads (very large). Every tee had a sign which showed distance for multiple pin settings. Set in a very nice park. There were restroom facilities in the park, but they were not convenient to the course in my opinion. A decent blend of open and wooded and elevation changes. There were a lot of long throws required on this course. I think the longest hole I played was over a 1000 ft. If you like to add in exercise by walking, this is the course for you! Most of the course is away from walking paths and the main part of the park, so you don't have to worry too much about nailing pedestrians with a disc. There was a practice basket near hole 1.
Cons: As always, I hate to complain about a course, because I'm always thankful to have one, no matter what, since that's better than none! Having said that, there is a LOT of walking on this course. Not necessarily a bad thing, but it does get old and requires more time than usual to play 18. Not knowing where the basket is placed (due to multiple placement options on the tee signs) on blind shots could get frustrating. The layout and flow just didn't feel natural to me, but I guess they did what they had to, to get the kind of shots the designers wanted in the course.
Other Thoughts: I imagine this would not be a fun course in the dead of summer from 11AM -4PM. The sun/heat on the wide open fields mixed with tons of walking could be brutal. Luckily when I played there was a quick rainstorm and then cloudcover that kept things much cooler. When I played the fields had just been mowed, so I don't know if this happens regularly or if the grass gets knee/waist high before it is mowed again. If it gets that high, I can't imagine trying to find discs on all the blind shots. It would be nice if some locals could become course guides on the dgcoursereview website to help visitors navigate the course and current pin placements. I thankfully knew a local, so I was very fortunate to have a guide to show me all the tees and tell me where the pins were placed for the many blind throws. This is my main complaint, that without help, I could probably navigate with the map on this website, but more times than not you can't see the basket, and there is no indication on the sign/map which placement it is currently at (obviously you can walk up the fairway and find out, but the walking is already insane on this course). There seemed to be a lot of activity on the course, so chances are a visitor could find someone to tag along with. Hole 1 was pretty cool with having to throw a good distance over a pond. I'm not a great golfer, and can only throw 350-400 feet max (with little accuracy at that distance), and I found very few birdie opportunities for my skill level. All in all, I had a great time playing this course and recommend it, and hope to play it again sometime when I'm traveling through Knoxville.

What a long, strange trip this course was.

1    6/15/2010   6/17/2010
Review By: numbernine
Pros: - Good, not great, Innova baskets on every hole. They seemed to catch true and were all in good shape.

- Uncracked, long concrete pads on every single hole. Good launch areas all told. Very little mud around the pad on most holes, minus one or two here and there.

- Good signage at the tee pad itself to let you know how far out each basket was, and which direction. There was some down side to these signs, but I will get there later.

- OK variety in shots. Lots and lots of very long holes. Some shorter holes, but most of them were bomber holes. there was, 13 I think, a creative hole cut into the woods coming from the wide open.

- Tons of elevation change. Though it could have been used better, there are lots and lots of elevation change shots on this course. Loads of blind shots going down hill. Some more shots going uphill, but not as many as there could be.

- Awesome #1 and #18. 1 starts over a lake and 18 ends in the woods for a VERY hard techie type shot.

- Very nice park with lots of amenities. Though not many of those are near the disc golf course.

- Practice basket! Although I didn't see it until the round was over. :(

- Nice locals who helped me navigate this monster! Thanks guys!
Cons: - I'll start out with the most glaringly obvious con - The layout of this course is just plain TERRIBLE. Going from 2 to 3 makes almost no sense. 3 to 4 is just ridiculous. I would have never found 6 had some locals not stopped me and pointed me in the right direction. The walk between 14 and 15 might seriously be the longest walk I've ever made on a disc golf course, ever. Had it not been for the guys stopping me on 5 and making sure that I knew where I was going, there is absolutely no way that I would have found the hole. Maybe if I was leaving the course in anger I would have found it. This issue could be fixed by some signs here and there that say "Hole #6 this way" or something. But as it stands, I wouldn't go out on this course by yourself. And if I had to play it again, I wouldn't look forward to it. There is just so much distance between a lot of the holes that it almost makes the round not fun.

- while the signs at the tee pads are good, I wouldn't call them great. a few of the holes simply weren't where the signs said they were, at any of the positions. and since many of the holes were blind shots, this was super frustrating. I'm looking at you hole 15.

- many of the holes felt "uninspired", if that makes sense. many of the holes were just long holes in the middle of an open field type area. cool elevation change, but that was the only interesting part at all. and even the changes weren't used all that well.
Other Thoughts: This is an Ok course. I honestly wouldn't hustle out to play it again, but I wouldn't not play it again either. The layout is just so frustrating that it really killed the round for me.

I recorded a lot of this round in HD as I went, so please check that out here:

And let me know if the video helps the review. This is my third video review, and I feel like it helps give a better idea of the course. Etc.
Thanks!

5+    3/4/2010   3/21/2010
Review By: DGphanatic
Pros: Lots of holes to grip and rip it but enough variety that your gonna have to use back and forehand throws. If your not able to accurately throw 300+ on hole 1 you might want to play off to the left side, beside the pond. # 3 is a good hole to test your might. After you play hole 5, follow the walking path left for about 600 ft, to get to hole 6. It will be on the right side of the path. I dont think there is a single hole I dont like here. Its a wonderful course and I really like hole 9 when the basket is at the long location. There is a nice nook you have to throw down to once you crest the hill. Signage would help but once you play this course you wont forget it. After hole 14, walk back towards #5 basket and go past it to get to hole 15. Hole 18 is also a nice hole and good use of trees to make it slightly difficult but there are many routes to take to reach the basket. I'd have to say that this is one of my favs.
Cons: Very long course, so wear comfortable shoes and if your gonna play in the summer bring lots of water. Navigation is needed but really only for 5 to 6 and 14 to 15. The rest is pretty much easy to find.
Other Thoughts: I would recommend this course any day of the week. I love it and try my best to corse my wife to let me take the hour drive to go play it when I can.

Beautiful Park

1    5/9/2009   1/19/2010
Review By: mashnut
This review was updated on 7/8/2010
Pros: The course plays through a sprawling beautiful park with rolling hills, a small lake and lots of different types of flowering trees. We played in late spring, so the course was in full bloom and was a very nice setting for a round. The grass was very well maintained, with no muddy spots, and nicely mowed throughout. There was a walking path, but it was lightly used, and no other park features interfered with the course.

The course is fairly open on most holes, but the course is still challenging with lots of good hill shots, well placed small trees and bushes, and lots of length. Some holes did a good job of forcing right and left turning shots, and these seemed pretty balanced. The first hole is fantastic, with a reachable carry over water, and a tough sloped landing area and green, one of my favorite starting holes.

The tees here are fantastic, with huge concrete pads, nice signs with all pin positions and distances marked, and landscaping and retaining walls around most tee areas. The multiple pin positions really change up the course, often having a pretty large distance difference, and quite a few that changed the shot on the hole. The baskets seemed a little older, but were still in good shape.
Cons: There are some spots where the flow of the course is not at all obvious, and a first time player will have to do some wandering to find the next tee. It would be fairly easy to put up some next tee signs to remedy this, as it's a bit frustrating. The multiple pin positions are great, but there needs to be a way to mark the current pin position as there are several blind holes where you have to walk the hole before you play it to know where the basket is.

The first hole is a lot of fun, and then the lake never comes into play again which was pretty disappointing. Overall, the course is a little too open, though the elevation and trees available were used well to add some challenge.
Other Thoughts: This course is a beautiful setting for disc golf, and overall a fun course. Beginners will find it approachable, but long. More experienced players will probably enjoy this course, though it's not terribly challenging especially on a calm day. Big arms will enjoy the chance to really air it out on several holes here, especially with the huge concrete tees.

This is definitely a course I would recommend if you are in the area, especially in the spring. It's a lot of walking to play this course and you don't loop back to the parking lot, so on a warm day make sure you bring plenty of water.

Awesome, long course

1    11/5/2009   11/9/2009
Review By: newsguru
Pros: Practice basket - Concrete pads - maps with pars - very helpful local disc golfers - Long, innovative holes - Multiple basket positions - Difficult holes - Quality baskets -
Cons: Unclear which baskets are in which positions - Pars need to be increased on at least half of the holes - Easy to lose a disc if you're a beginner - Confusing layout (threw to wrong baskets more then once) - No directional signs to the next holes - Long walks between certain holes
Other Thoughts: I try to play a new course every time I go on a trip and Victor Ashe was a delightful surprise in Knoxville. It was a nice change of pace after playing a bunch of sub-par short courses.

Victor Ashe doesn't suffer from what most course suffer from - which is a short boring course that doesn't mix up it's shots. The course demands accurate long drives and great second shots to even put you in position for a par putt. There are interesting long holes and short technical holes. There are blind holes and there's also a nice water hazard on 1.

I had a HORRIBLE game, but I still contend that half the holes' pars should be upped. The course is difficult to play if you're new.

Next time I'm in Knoxville, I'll play Victor Ashe at least 2 or 3 times. It takes an afternoon to play and it's a great place to play no matter the skill level.

Good Times!

2-4    9/24/2010   8/26/2009
Review By: forehandfranz
This review was updated on 4/30/2011
Pros: What's not to like - playing golf, watching pretty girls walk dogs through the park, people fishing in the lake where you just threw two of your discs? This course has all the great elements- nice tees and signs, rolling hills of grass, challenging pin placements, elevation changes on most holes and did I mention the lake? Plenty of trees and thick shrubs make this a real challenge, causing you to THINK & SHAPE your shots. Most of the course is rolling grass & trees with only a few wide open holes and one in tight woods. Multiple pin placements will keep you thinking. Even when the course was beating me up, I kept thinking "wow I sure like this place!"
Cons: The brush can be thick and nasty with thorns awaiting you. The lake on #1 is not too forgiving when the pin is in long position (about 300' to clear the pond). Even if you lay up on the peninsula, you still have a difficult approach to likely get a bogey 4. The long pin on the right should be removed- though it makes a great pin position, the shore below it is a popular place for anglers and too dangerous! A few of the open holes lack trees or other good obstacles (#3-5). Hole 3 in the long position is a bit dull once you pass the first set of trees, and then it's literally wide open the next 700 feet- yawn. Many holes are really lacking "next tee" signs particularly holes 6,13,15 - these walks are also quite lengthy! Trash was a minor problem. Standing water between holes 5 & 15 after a big rainstorm. Finally, the long walks between 5 & 6 and again between 14 & 15 are just rotten if you are new and don't have a map - get a map!
Other Thoughts: No two holes were alike and you could tell the designers were really making the most of the land there! I feel an improvement of flow (or a few badly needed signs) and some improvement to the wide open holes would help immensely.