Hickory, NC
Glenn C. Hilton Memorial Park Share
Uploaded By: thirstydisc Hole #19 (Taken 1/2014)
Basket is uphill and right, hiden form tee.

Great work in progress.

1    1/19/2014   1/20/2014
Review By: LeeLK
Pros: A couple really great hole designs. Mostly perfect concrete pads. All great baskets. Challenging, in a good way for the most part. A couple really fun holes, like the #20 downhill ace run and of course the grand finale #24 across-the-valley shot.
Cons: #15 could use a few trees removed, unless they're going for that throw-and-pray type shot. Some of the tee signs are not accurate (#4 was especially confusing, could just be me). I always prefer when the course loops back to the parking lot after 9 (or 18), but you have to commit to the whole thing on this one.
Other Thoughts: Why a 24 hole course? Not that it really matters, but that's a bit confusing. Overall though, a wide variety of shots are needed, which is fun. The course is mostly wooded and some fairways are tight, so get ready to bounce around a bit. Definitely not a beginner course, but a great round for advanced players.

1    9/20/2013   9/22/2013
Review By: skeeterpig
Pros: As always the course was in good shape. Having multiple baskets on several holes makes it nice to have options. Posting a recreational par also makes it less intimidating for newbies etc.
Cons: Signs missing on holes 19 through 24. Vandalism happens sure, but it dismayed me that one of the regulars who I talked to after thw round didn't seem it was a big deal. Having played the course before it wasn't a big deal, but a first timer would be lost because 2 of the baskets are not visible from the tee. Also more arrows/ signs showing where the next tee is located would be nice. The new pin placement on hole 5 is just plain silly- less then 10 feet from the bank of the stream basically on the beach. Seriously do you guys want people to get discouraged or for some kid who scraped his money together to buy a new disc to lose it? Maybe save that one for tournaments!!!!
Other Thoughts: I don't get to play this course as often as I use to, but it is fun to see how it has grown and matured. One note though if like me you have leg or ankle issues- i have a fused ankle- the length and terrain will test you!

HoMe CoursE

5+    12/9/2012   12/11/2012
Review By: badsmurph
Pros: 1) Tee signs
2) Variety of Shots
3) benches and Trash cans
4) Bridges
5) Easy navigation with next hole direction on tee sign and after basket.
6) Multiple Pins which are changed often
7) elevation
8) new par 4 on 4 but wish position B was used more.
9) the whole park in general.
Cons: 1)erosion
2) Some awkward and crapshoot shots
3) Alot of Luck factor on some holes especially with roll aways.
4) 24 holes so when club plays 18 hole events they play different configurations which cuts in front of casuals and can be confusing at times.
5) Not many driver shots, mostly midrange
6) alot of missing s hooks on basket's chains which effects putts
Other Thoughts: Overall a good home course and strong group of dedicated locals that take ALOT of pride in the course. But it is nice to have a new course in area to throw some different shots.

1    12/10/2012   12/10/2012
Review By: Suspena kenna
Pros: Good technical holes. 24 bad ass hole. Good view. Easy To find holes. Sign on trees that point to next tee box. Not to many holes u can loose discs long as u keep an eye out. Good amount of seats. One with a shack around it to get away from rain.
Cons: Heavily wooded. A lot of hills. To far away

Holy Hilton!

1    5/19/2012   5/23/2012
Review By: New013
This review was updated on 3/23/2013
Pros: Layout - Bring your big bag of discs and your A game because you will be tested. You will have to hit tight gaps, place shots to make turns, place shots to not roll down hills, place shots to not be behind a grove of trees 5' from the basket. From a technical standpoint the course has it all, if you love to shape shots and think about just what the hell you're going to do this is the course for you.

This course is a banner child for risk/reward on a good many holes. If you go for the basket it can cost you, accuracy and creativity are a key here. The good thing about this course is that you still have multiple options to get there, it's just that rarely are any of them easy.

Got elevation? Yeah the place is hilly and not every hole is on an incline but the ones that are make things really interesting. Even a good many greens are on no joke type hills.

Another huge plus for this course is the multiple basket positions that really change up the hole lengths on some holes.

The course does give you more than just wooded insanity, the front nine while not all open is more of defined fairway type part of the course and has a few park type open holes with sparse trees.

There's a creek running through some of the holes as well which adds a nice touch of difficulty and the brush here can be thick and punishing in parts.

The greens and basket locations are very well designed and really add another layer of difficulty on top of an already challenging layout.

Equipment - Nice large concrete teepads and newer baskets. There signage here is very well done and let's you know which position the basket is in. I think there were benches on just about every hole which is a good thing for a course with 24 holes, hills and punishment. There's navigational clues along the routes as well.

Atmosphere - The park is beautiful aside from the erosion but for me that kinda adds to it all. The exposed roots add another level of difficulty and keep you on your toes while walking. It looked like a pretty heavily used park but aside form the first few holes you are pretty secluded from it all which is a huge pro for me. All of the club graffiti they've thrown in to random parts adds a nice touch.
Cons: Layout - One of the better designed courses I've played but... it doesn't mix up the wooded and sorta open holes enough for me. I know it wouldn't flow as well but it does get kinda monotonous at some point and I can't really tell where. There's just some holes that kind of blend together on the back part, you go in to the woods and never really come out.

There's a few long holes on the course but only a couple really let you rip it and that's one thing adds to my enjoyment. If the course had two or three more open bomber holes thrown in the back 14 I'd be in love and the course would be rated higher.

Equipment - I could see this course needing some kind of effort to stop the erosion, hopefully the club will address that looming problem soon enough.

Atmosphere - Finding this course is confusing, there are like 900 6th streets in Hickory so make sure you're going to 6th NW.
Other Thoughts: I could list the holes I loved but that would take to many words, so I'll just say #24 is badass. I've played valley holes before but this one is special, it's not incredibly difficult but it's just that badass and a great finishing hole; puts the course over the top.

A day in the foothills

1    9/29/2011   10/6/2011
Review By: chrissauls
Pros: Beautiful park with all the amenities to keep the entire family busy while dads gets a round in. There is a great vibe about this place as soon as you get out of the car. Hole 1 is the perfect "empty your bag out" kind of hole to get you lose before you enter the woods for the next couple of hours.

-Direction signs and arrows on every hole so you always know where to go next.

-Bridges, great signs, tee pads, easy navigation.

- Very fun course to play.
Cons: None really, but my only negative thoughts were that there are 24 holes. Sometimes, you can have too much of a good thing. The final 6 holes do not add anything positive to the course, with the exception of hole 24 which is scenic but not very challenging. Although the first nine holes have great variety and some very fun shots, the course started to lose my attention much like a long drawn out story. If I didn't know any better, I swear that I played some of the same holes twice when I hit the next 15.
Other Thoughts: I've been waiting 10 years to play this course and I didn't leave disappointed. Some people are so lucky. What I would do to have a park like this in my town. The elevation changes, mowed fairways, bridges, landscaping around pins, nice LONGGG tee pads, playgrounds for the kids, Hickory has it going on and they should be proud. Well worth the wait.

A Dash of This, A Pinch of That

5+    12/11/2010   12/12/2010
Review By: digital
This review was updated on 12/27/2012
Pros: Accessibility: Course is at a central location in town. A short drive regardless of where you live in Hickory. Also nearby to I-40 and Highway 321 for those traveling to play.

Maintenance: Course is very well maintained. The local club is devoted to keeping everything in top shape, from blown fairways during the fall to mown fairways during the spring and summer. You'll always know the basket location and the footage to said location. They use letters for different position and there will be a screw beside said letter to let you know exactly where it is. Accurate footages and hole layouts. Benches on nearly every hole, more than one bench on a few. Trash cans on nearly every hole. Keep it clean. These folks work hard to provide us an enjoyable experience, so we should do our part as well.

Variety: A wide variety of holes and shots. Open, wooded, uphill, downhill, left, right, straight. This course will test your game in all aspects. It's rare to have a round that doesn't force you to pull every shot out of the bag. The majority of holes have multiple locations. As noted above, those will be noted beside each tee. These locations can have a big impact not only on the way the hole is played and the shot required but also the difficulty of the hole. Make sure you check before you throw. As of now, many holes are being moved to their closer positions for the winter.
Cons: I don't have many gripes. #11 is a tough route. Fairway stays straight and turns dead left. It's not really the ideal route for either location. There really is no identifiable route aside from it other than a squeaker through the trees. Can't complain about the roots. Just a warning, watch out for them, especially with those steep greens.
Other Thoughts: Just a great course. Maybe a bit technical and challenging for a beginner. Even challenging for advanced players. Demanding. Good flow of holes, even with the several new additions. Looks like at least one more is coming in the near future. From what I hear we could have 27 sooner than later.

I won't make it much more lengthy even though I could go into vivid detail of every hole. Questions about particular holes, etc? Send me a message. I'll be happy to answer.

The way courses should be!

5+    9/11/2010   10/3/2009
Review By: DSCJNKY
This review was updated on 9/12/2010
Pros:
- Great road trip course. You will not be disappointed to get out of your car to play this one. It's just fun to play.
- Great shots. Soooo many holes have great shots, requiring you to perfectly shape your drive… or else! You'll need to be able to throw hyzers, anhyzers, BH, FH, OH, s-turns, uphill, downhill, sidehill, longish, short, and accurate.
- The fairways are more than FAIR. If you hit your gap with the right disc you have a great chance to birdie. However, if you miss your gap, you could get kicked into the woods and have to pitch out for bogey.
- Beautifully Maintained… benches, tee-signs, baskets, next-tee signs, no trash, etc… The local club (the UFO's) does a wonderful job.
- Multiple Baskets. All of the holes had multiple basket positions. And, a few of the holes actually have two baskets, giving you the option to play the hole as long or short, or both (if no one is behind you).
Cons:
- Sewer Smell. The city installed a sewer line through the park... and on a few holes, it's pretty rank. Every now and then you get a whiff, and the smelly dense air coats your throat for a while. Gross.
- There was a cop in the parking lot the whole time. "MAJOR Con". You have to walk right past him on the way back to the car, which can be sketch if you're carrying anything you shouldn't be carrying.
- The 4 Extra Holes do nothing to make the course better. A few of the "extra" holes are redundant to what is already out there (13 and 20 are practically the same golf Hole). More could have been done (although I do like 15).
- Driving directions could get confusing. Thus…
- GPS Directions: The house's address directly across the streets from the parking lot is 2080 6th St. NW. Hickory, NC 28601.
- Overall... I had a good time and have come back to play this course a few times. However, the second and third time I played it I wasn't as impressed as the first time. Only a few of the Holes are Championship quality, the rest are good little golf holes, but far from exceptional. Most of the holes were reachable with a putter or midrange, with only a few Holes requiring a driver due to the distance of the Hole, an extreme turn, or needed skip.
- Great shots, benches, signage, next-tee directional aids, etc... all great and make for a fun disc golf experience. However, there's not enough length, and the course is slightly redundant. In the end, I dropped my disc rating 1/2 a disc because the shots just weren't epic enough for me. Still a very good course as 3.5 Discs indicates.
- My Score: -10 (with 2 bogeys).

Great Job on this course.

1    7/11/2009   7/12/2009
Review By: roadtripstuff
Pros: clean, great variety, good variations in distance, very well laid out, very easy to navigate (there are signs pointing to next tee), not crowded, plenty of parking, trash cans on several holes, benches on every hole, wooded and open holes (wooded holes are clear of underbrush making it easy to spot off target discs), multiple pin placements, great elevation changes
Cons: not a lot to speak of here, the only issue we had were other park users on the fairways that didn't seem to know, or possibly care, that we were trying to play the hole
Other Thoughts: Course is one of the better courses that I have played. The course is beautifully laid out and the local club does a wonderful job of upkeep on the course. When we got to the first hole I was expecting long open holes. Holes two starts out in an open field and you throw into the woods. After that there is a great mix of wooded and open holes.

Once you get into the wooded holes the great elevations changes also start to come into play. They have you throwing up and down hills, and across as well. Holes three has you at the bottom of one of the hills throwing up and across the hill. At the bottom of the hill is the creek, if you have a bad throw that ends up rolling it cold very well make its way into the water.

After hole #3 there is a bit of a walk to the tee for four, probably the worst part of the course, but it is very well marked with an arrow pointing in the direction of the next tee, and once out of the woods, there is a marker on the blacktop walkway that directs you to the tee. These markers are great, other courses should take a page from these guys books and mark all courses this well, made playing the course a lot more enjoyable, not once did we have to look for the next tee.

This course has some great holes worth pointing out, but I will try to keep it short. My favorite holes one the course are 14 and 18. On hole 14 you find yourself throwing an extreme downhill shot, with a rather tight wooded fairway. The basket sits at the bottom of the hill right behind a rather large tree. There was no one else on the course so I let a few loose on this hole, it was great fun until I had to go retrieve all of them.

Hole 18 was the best on the course. The tee and the basket are on opposite hills and you throw over a valley to get to the basket. The valley below is full of Kudzu and can make it very easy to loose a disc, I would say if it goes in, there is a really good chance its not coming back out. I even pulled out an old dx Valk, known as the throw away disc, used mostly for water holes, to throw in case I had a bad throw.

Overall this course, was great. I would recommend this course to anyone, no matter skill level. Each hole has at least two pin placements, some more, that make for a variety of play, and as I said before the local club does a wonderful job with upkeep so I imagine the placements get changes on a regular basis. If this course is any indication of the quality of courses in North Carolina, I can't wait to get back down there and play many more.

I gave this course a 3.5 rating but struggled with giving it a 4. If you look at my rating I would say that I am rather stingy in the rating area, so that's how good this course is.

The park also has many other facilities. Restrooms on site, picnic areas, and playgrounds. They even have a loudspeaker system and when we were on 16, you could here the announcement that the park was closing in 20 minutes. I thought this was a pretty good idea as well, since they close and lock the gate at different times, according to the sunset times. Great touch.

2-4    4/30/2009   5/6/2009
Review By: heelboycraig
This review was updated on 12/12/2010
Pros: This is a fun course. The course has that "it" factor where you can't really describe it, but you know there's something special about it while you're playing.
- Great tee signs. Some of the best around. Course also has good signs pointing to the next tee. I had a map with me the first time I played, but I never needed it.
- Course has three extra holes, one after #7 and two after #11. None of them are overly difficult or long, but it is 3 extra holes.
- I really liked how the course flows. After the first three holes, the course weaves throughout the park, taking advantage of the elevation changes. I thought it's really cool how the basket for #10 and teepads for # 11 & 13 all were within about 50 feet of each other.
- Good variety of hole layouts allowing you to throw all types of shots. You really don't need to pull out the driver.
- Nice seeing #9 & 11 both have longer basket positions at more than 400 feet.
Cons: Course could take even better advantage of the terrain. Very few courses in the region have such a great layout, with the elevation changes, that I was slightly disappointed it wasn't more difficult. Even with errant tee shots, there's still a chance to recover to save par. On a course like this, I feel bad tee shots should cost you.
- Course needs to be longer. Too many holes in the 150 - 250 range. I was throwing a putter or Roc as tee shots a ton. As mentioned above, only #9 & 11 are more than 400 feet. There does seem to be room to expand a couple holes, which would make them even more challenging.
- Course had too many easy holes to be truly elite. #6, 14, 16 and even 18, despite the impressive view, were short and relatively simple. I have no problem with short holes, they actually suit my game quite nicely, but the short holes should be more challenging like #2 & #8.
Other Thoughts: I left this course with mixed feelings. On one hand, it's a great layout and tons of fun. On the other, I left wanting more - more distance and challenging holes. I felt like this course was searching for a true identity, where it's trying to appeal to both the casual player (with the short, easy holes) and the advanced player (great layout, some tough holes). The simple solution is alternate tees or baskets, like # 9 & 11.
- My favorite hole was #11. It seemed everything about the course, the "it" factor, comes together on this hole. Something fun and challenging about throwing in a ravine with hills sloping upwards on both sides. Add to that the long basket at more than 400 feet. It's going to take 2 great shots to get a 3.
- I don't think this course should get markups simply because of the hilly terrain, as I've seen in other reviews. If that's the case, every course in the Rockies is going to get huge boosts simply because of their location. It's just one part of what a great course.
- Everyone in the Charlotte area should take the 1 hour drive to this course. It's well worth the trip. If this course is ever lengthened, it could be scary how difficult it could become. It's the best short course I've played.