Hickory, NC
Glenn C. Hilton Memorial Park Share
Uploaded By: DiscChainBasket18 Hole #4

Great Job on this course.

1    7/11/2009   7/12/2009
Review By: roadtripstuff
Pros: clean, great variety, good variations in distance, very well laid out, very easy to navigate (there are signs pointing to next tee), not crowded, plenty of parking, trash cans on several holes, benches on every hole, wooded and open holes (wooded holes are clear of underbrush making it easy to spot off target discs), multiple pin placements, great elevation changes
Cons: not a lot to speak of here, the only issue we had were other park users on the fairways that didn't seem to know, or possibly care, that we were trying to play the hole
Other Thoughts: Course is one of the better courses that I have played. The course is beautifully laid out and the local club does a wonderful job of upkeep on the course. When we got to the first hole I was expecting long open holes. Holes two starts out in an open field and you throw into the woods. After that there is a great mix of wooded and open holes.

Once you get into the wooded holes the great elevations changes also start to come into play. They have you throwing up and down hills, and across as well. Holes three has you at the bottom of one of the hills throwing up and across the hill. At the bottom of the hill is the creek, if you have a bad throw that ends up rolling it cold very well make its way into the water.

After hole #3 there is a bit of a walk to the tee for four, probably the worst part of the course, but it is very well marked with an arrow pointing in the direction of the next tee, and once out of the woods, there is a marker on the blacktop walkway that directs you to the tee. These markers are great, other courses should take a page from these guys books and mark all courses this well, made playing the course a lot more enjoyable, not once did we have to look for the next tee.

This course has some great holes worth pointing out, but I will try to keep it short. My favorite holes one the course are 14 and 18. On hole 14 you find yourself throwing an extreme downhill shot, with a rather tight wooded fairway. The basket sits at the bottom of the hill right behind a rather large tree. There was no one else on the course so I let a few loose on this hole, it was great fun until I had to go retrieve all of them.

Hole 18 was the best on the course. The tee and the basket are on opposite hills and you throw over a valley to get to the basket. The valley below is full of Kudzu and can make it very easy to loose a disc, I would say if it goes in, there is a really good chance its not coming back out. I even pulled out an old dx Valk, known as the throw away disc, used mostly for water holes, to throw in case I had a bad throw.

Overall this course, was great. I would recommend this course to anyone, no matter skill level. Each hole has at least two pin placements, some more, that make for a variety of play, and as I said before the local club does a wonderful job with upkeep so I imagine the placements get changes on a regular basis. If this course is any indication of the quality of courses in North Carolina, I can't wait to get back down there and play many more.

I gave this course a 3.5 rating but struggled with giving it a 4. If you look at my rating I would say that I am rather stingy in the rating area, so that's how good this course is.

The park also has many other facilities. Restrooms on site, picnic areas, and playgrounds. They even have a loudspeaker system and when we were on 16, you could here the announcement that the park was closing in 20 minutes. I thought this was a pretty good idea as well, since they close and lock the gate at different times, according to the sunset times. Great touch.

Fun, Fair but Tough

5+    7/5/2009   7/6/2009
Review By: Bandit's Ride
This review was updated on 8/31/2009
Pros: A good variety of holes, left and right fairways and water that plays a factor on a couple holes for added "adventure" but not too deep so wading out to get your disc is easy. Terrain changes that challenge you on a few holes.

Seems to be just about free of Poison Ivy and such as I am allergic and spend some time in the "woods" throwing my disc.

Quite challenging for a novice player but still well worthy for a veteran. Beautiful surroundings - pack a lunch for after.
Cons: Roots play a factor more often than not. They can help or hurt, especially when your disc starts to roll away. Hole #18's ravine is starting to get overgrown by Kudzu making any disc thrown short just about impossible to find.

Agree that parking can be a problem if you get there mid-day or later, on the weekends especially.
Other Thoughts: I am a novice but really enjoy playing this course. One reason is that it is about a mile from my house. It offers a good chance for me to get some decent exercise, bring my dog along and have fun. Worth a trip to play.

1    6/28/2009   6/29/2009
Review By: Cmdrmack
Pros: Great Variety of holes

Gorgeous view on Hole 18

Great course flow for the most part

Lots of interesting elevation changes
Cons: Sometimes frustratingly difficult, especially for a beginner. Be sure and be patient with this course, most holes would not be a par three at other locations.
Other Thoughts: Lot's of fun, especially with friends. Be sure to a lot yourself a lot of time when playing this course, It took four of us almost two and a half hours to get through it.

The course is a bit of a hike, so be prepared for that. Hole number 18 is easier than it looks. It's about 200 feet, but it also drops between the tee and the hole, I actually overshot it significantly. It's a beautiful hole though, but almost anyone could make it across the ravine unless they really messed up their drive. I made it across easily with an Innova Goblin.

Review From A Local

5+    6/12/2009   6/17/2009
Review By: vonDrehle
This review was updated on 5/17/2013
Pros: -One of my favorite things about this course is the variety of shots that you can use through out the round. There are holes that favor a backhand, some that favor sidearm, and some that favor overhand shots.
-Another good thing is the tee boxes and the benches. In the last year the local club has done a great job in getting benches placed on almost every hole.
-The course also has different basket positions on every hole and changes them fairly frequently. This allows for the course to play differently a good bit of the time you play it.
-Hole #18 is one of my favorite finishing holes I have played. It is not often that after a round I feel like emptying my bag but this hole always brings it out of me.
-Almost every hole is reachable in someway or another which makes it a challenge to find what shot type would be the best. So in other words if you have a not so strong arm but great accuracy you will be able to shoot well at this course.

**Update
-Course now has 24 holes total with paths that have been created so if you don't have time for all of them you can cherry pick which holes you want to play very easily.
Cons: Both of my main cons are things that really can't be helped.
Roots. On a few holes you can have a great drive and have it roll into the water because of root. Another thing about the course is the parking during the summer weekends. Normally after 12:00 in the afternoon all the spots are taken and it is just luck whether you get one or not.

**Update
-Since the park put some pipelines in the drainage on on hole #1 can be a little rough after a good rain.
Other Thoughts: This is one of my favorite courses to play. I have played it at least 150 times and still can find new ways to throw some of the holes. With 400+ holes and holes around the lower 200's you have an opportunity to throw hard and have some ace runs. I believe that anyone that makes the drive out to play this course will have a good time.

hickory

2-4    6/5/2009   6/7/2009
Review By: chingaling
Pros: this course is one of my favorite courses around, its an all par 3 but don't let that fool you, the slopes and the roots on the ground will make your frisbee roll like you wouldnt believe, and watch out for the main creek running through the course, a couple holes hug it tight.
this is a good course for a beginner to play around with there shots, great course to try to ace some holes, park is great, really really, top notch.

have fun with #18 , fun hole
Cons: if your out of shape, this park isnt for you, by all means wear comfortable shoes, you'll be walking up and down slopes from hole 3ish on out.

2-4    4/30/2009   5/6/2009
Review By: heelboycraig
This review was updated on 12/12/2010
Pros: This is a fun course. The course has that "it" factor where you can't really describe it, but you know there's something special about it while you're playing.
- Great tee signs. Some of the best around. Course also has good signs pointing to the next tee. I had a map with me the first time I played, but I never needed it.
- Course has three extra holes, one after #7 and two after #11. None of them are overly difficult or long, but it is 3 extra holes.
- I really liked how the course flows. After the first three holes, the course weaves throughout the park, taking advantage of the elevation changes. I thought it's really cool how the basket for #10 and teepads for # 11 & 13 all were within about 50 feet of each other.
- Good variety of hole layouts allowing you to throw all types of shots. You really don't need to pull out the driver.
- Nice seeing #9 & 11 both have longer basket positions at more than 400 feet.
Cons: Course could take even better advantage of the terrain. Very few courses in the region have such a great layout, with the elevation changes, that I was slightly disappointed it wasn't more difficult. Even with errant tee shots, there's still a chance to recover to save par. On a course like this, I feel bad tee shots should cost you.
- Course needs to be longer. Too many holes in the 150 - 250 range. I was throwing a putter or Roc as tee shots a ton. As mentioned above, only #9 & 11 are more than 400 feet. There does seem to be room to expand a couple holes, which would make them even more challenging.
- Course had too many easy holes to be truly elite. #6, 14, 16 and even 18, despite the impressive view, were short and relatively simple. I have no problem with short holes, they actually suit my game quite nicely, but the short holes should be more challenging like #2 & #8.
Other Thoughts: I left this course with mixed feelings. On one hand, it's a great layout and tons of fun. On the other, I left wanting more - more distance and challenging holes. I felt like this course was searching for a true identity, where it's trying to appeal to both the casual player (with the short, easy holes) and the advanced player (great layout, some tough holes). The simple solution is alternate tees or baskets, like # 9 & 11.
- My favorite hole was #11. It seemed everything about the course, the "it" factor, comes together on this hole. Something fun and challenging about throwing in a ravine with hills sloping upwards on both sides. Add to that the long basket at more than 400 feet. It's going to take 2 great shots to get a 3.
- I don't think this course should get markups simply because of the hilly terrain, as I've seen in other reviews. If that's the case, every course in the Rockies is going to get huge boosts simply because of their location. It's just one part of what a great course.
- Everyone in the Charlotte area should take the 1 hour drive to this course. It's well worth the trip. If this course is ever lengthened, it could be scary how difficult it could become. It's the best short course I've played.

5+    4/29/2009   5/3/2009
Review By: JackAce
This review was updated on 3/21/2011
Pros: First off I wanna say that the UFO club does a great job in all aspects for this course. The course is unbelievably well maintained. Holes are sponsored by local businesses. Weekly tournaments. The guys are super nice and always helpful.
All that and it's in a very nice park.
The course is heavily wooded and is easy to navigate. I think they are up to 22 holes and most have multiple pin placements. Concrete tee pads, great signage, and trash receptacles throughout course. Heavily wooded and has a creek to contend with on 3, 5, 7, and 22. Challenging course, but not frustratingly so. Just a beautiful layout. The final hole is just awesome. Tee pad is right on the edge of a gully that you throw across.
Cons: Getting from 3-4 can be confusing, as it's the only "long trek" between holes. Just cross the field to the right and you can see the tee pad. On the weekends the park can get crowded so parking can be an issue. There are a couple of different parking areas but it fills up fast.
Other Thoughts: Just an all around great course. Challenging holes. Aceable holes. Great people.
If you are anywhere in the area this is a must play.

B+ = You Be Feelin' Positive After Playing This

5+    9/24/2007   4/20/2009
Pros: What I personally like and how this course stacks up:
1) Holes with good risk/reward -- A-
2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities -- B+
3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography -- A-
4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion -- B+

Beauty & the Beast

2-4    4/18/2009   4/20/2009
Review By: DiscChainBasket18
Pros: Clean park setting. Benches & trash cans on most holes. You'll need a variety of shots here. Open & wooded holes. Up & down hill shots. Multiple pin locations. Nice concrete tee pads & signs. Practice basket with indoor-outdoor carpet at the base so there's no mud. Large, clean restrooms with water.
Cons: Parking seems to be in short supply. They take in so many cars & then it gets filled up & no more cars are allowed in. Not sure where you park then.
Other Thoughts: Download a course map as navigating may be difficult for the first time visitor. They have large shaded gazebos & picnic areas. Bring the whole family!

aka Paris Hilton

5+    2/13/2009   2/13/2009
Review By: Mando
This review was updated on 3/31/2009
Pros: Gorgeous city park with incredibly varied layout. The full monte. Open holes, semi-open holes, holes bordered by water, holes with OB's tight wooded holes, tighter wooded holes, kudzu-filled ravines, heinous pin placements,friendly locals,strong club support, with all the amenities...what more could you ask for ? Well, how about two new holes and a couple of permanent longer position basket options.
Cons: Hole #3. This is a heavily-wooded sidehill hole that slopes down to the stream. Even if you thread your drive down the microscopic fairway, you have no window with your approach regardless of the pin position. So, chances are either your drive or approach is going to hit a tree and roll dowhnhill in or near the drink. Asssuming you make two miracle shots and are putting for a par, it ain't over till the fat lady sings. In the long position any putt that does not go in the basket can potentially roll way out of your automatic zone for the next putt. Many times after playing this hole, I have to set my bag down and walk down to creek for some time alone with ducks ala Tony Soprano.
Other Thoughts: Like Paris, this course is easy to look at, but hard to figure. I normally drive mostly with a (RH) forehand, but this course is better suited for driving with a backhand.