Hickory, NC
Glenn C. Hilton Memorial Park Share

Great Technical Course

2-4    7/21/2011   8/4/2011
Review By: Plankeye
Pros: This course has 23 holes with a majority of them having multiple pin placements. If a hole has multiple pin locations, there is a screw in the sign post indicating which position the box is in.

22 of the 23 holes are very fair with the only unfair hole being 15.5. I am assuming that they will work on making a fairer fairway on this hole as there is little to no line currently from the tee-pad to the basket.

There are signs with arrows which lead you from one basket to the next tee; you may have to look above eye level to see these signs.

Elevation comes into play on almost every hole and a creek is in play on 2 or 3 holes(right side of fairway). There are a variety of shots and the most of the shorter holes play longer due to throwing uphill. Most of the holes have a righty and a lefty route to the basket.

While benches are not on every hole, they are generally located on ever 2 - 4 holes apart.

Teepads are nice as only 1 or two could be improved by making it another foot longer.
Cons: Hole 15 is an approximately 425 foot hole. The teepad is currently an old conveyor belt. This would be a nice teepad except for the fact the ground underneath it is not level.

Hole 15.5 has little to no line from basket to tee.

This is a multiuse park and it is not common to see people on the hiking trails that run near some of the holes. Not really a con but you have to keep an eye out on really busy days.
Other Thoughts: Do not play this course if you are not in shape! I am in somewhat decent shape and halfway during the second round I was wanting to quit. Of course it didn't help that it was in the mid 90s that day with high humidity. I finished the second round but I could definitely tell that my body had spent all of its energy.

Great Course

5+    8/3/2011   8/4/2011
Review By: jpgraves
Pros: Lots of shot types to work on, open fairways
Cons: hornets!! only on a few holes
Other Thoughts: Great course to play, love the various shots you have to have and use, teaches putting because if you hit band you will more than likely roll away on most holes.

Hilton Luxury

1    3/30/2011   5/14/2011
Review By: Jukeshoe
This review was updated on 5/26/2011
Pros: - A beautiful course, extremely well-kept, with a diverse range of hole styles and distances. 23 holes work their way across grassy park areas dotted with trees, by a river, and through the woods.
- A fair amount of elevation used to full potential, including sloped greens. The final gorge shot on 22 is epic.
- Excellent signage. All tee signs detailed and comprehensive. Pin position is indicated on the base of each tee sign with a bolt. Next tee signs as needed. Good concrete tees. Benches, trashcans, etc.
Cons: - Not a whole lot here to complain about. Nothing mind-blowing, but nothing out of place or bad, either.
Other Thoughts: - Friendly locals will graciously go out of their way to include visitors or aid in navigation.

Hickory

1    2/14/2011   2/14/2011
Review By: BobStutts
Pros: Great course with a variety of holes. While I am not a very good player I felt the course was fair. The upkeep and signage by the local disc group (UFOs) are worthy of praise. If you play 15.5 you actually play 23 holes. Lovely foothills stream through park and beside course. This was an absolute delight. Water did not really come into play but I am sure it would be different afterwards of much rain.
Cons: If you can't walk up and down inclines you will have a problem. No other cons.
Other Thoughts: The locals, including UFO members, were great to meet. They have a passion to have a good course. I played this course and Buckhorn in New Hill, NC in the last two Mondays. Highly reccomend both.

"Funomenal"

5+    10/22/2010   12/12/2010
Review By: Middy
Pros: For me, a fun course is one where I get to throw my mid range discs/shots off the tee a good bit and this course is ideal for that. Hyzers, anhyzers, forehand, backhand, thumbers- they all have their place on this course. I typically throw a driver on few holes- but I don't have to throw over 400ft. to have a chance at a birdie. I love wooded courses like this one- tight but fair. There are no silly mandos or man made out-of-bounds needed on this naturally well designed course. Easy parking, nice putting basket, great signage, comfortable seating for four people at each hole, excellent tee boxes- this one has all the amenities one could ask for in a disc golf course. I will spare you the hole-by-hole analysis.
Cons: There is and will continue to be some issues with erosion. In a tourney, I missed a 25ft. birdie putt that quickly became a roll-away and a 7 on the score card. That was my fault. Eventually, the erosion may negatively impact the trees and that should be addressed.
Other Thoughts: This was one of my favorite courses even before they added four great new holes. If you are local- you already love it. Road tripping to western NC? Play this one and Richmond Hill in Asheville. You will be glad that you did.

A Dash of This, A Pinch of That

5+    12/11/2010   12/12/2010
Review By: digital
This review was updated on 12/27/2012
Pros: Accessibility: Course is at a central location in town. A short drive regardless of where you live in Hickory. Also nearby to I-40 and Highway 321 for those traveling to play.

Maintenance: Course is very well maintained. The local club is devoted to keeping everything in top shape, from blown fairways during the fall to mown fairways during the spring and summer. You'll always know the basket location and the footage to said location. They use letters for different position and there will be a screw beside said letter to let you know exactly where it is. Accurate footages and hole layouts. Benches on nearly every hole, more than one bench on a few. Trash cans on nearly every hole. Keep it clean. These folks work hard to provide us an enjoyable experience, so we should do our part as well.

Variety: A wide variety of holes and shots. Open, wooded, uphill, downhill, left, right, straight. This course will test your game in all aspects. It's rare to have a round that doesn't force you to pull every shot out of the bag. The majority of holes have multiple locations. As noted above, those will be noted beside each tee. These locations can have a big impact not only on the way the hole is played and the shot required but also the difficulty of the hole. Make sure you check before you throw. As of now, many holes are being moved to their closer positions for the winter.
Cons: I don't have many gripes. #11 is a tough route. Fairway stays straight and turns dead left. It's not really the ideal route for either location. There really is no identifiable route aside from it other than a squeaker through the trees. Can't complain about the roots. Just a warning, watch out for them, especially with those steep greens.
Other Thoughts: Just a great course. Maybe a bit technical and challenging for a beginner. Even challenging for advanced players. Demanding. Good flow of holes, even with the several new additions. Looks like at least one more is coming in the near future. From what I hear we could have 27 sooner than later.

I won't make it much more lengthy even though I could go into vivid detail of every hole. Questions about particular holes, etc? Send me a message. I'll be happy to answer.

A great course... hole after hole after hole after hole...

2-4    10/11/2010   11/15/2010
Review By: mcleanclan
Pros: A great course. A fun course. Any time I need to go to the big-town, I try to allow time to go to the Glenn. I love the opening rip than quickly turns into wooded wonder. A wooded course is always more fun for me (being more of a precision player instead of power). This course is awesome. And how many holes do they have today!? Who knows... they add one about every few months or so I think. Great work, UFO crew!
Cons: Maybe the poo smell on and around hole 7... but maybe that has been fixed by all the construction. Anyway... that was a stretch. Couldn't think of anything else.
Other Thoughts: A great course. In the area, play it.

5+    10/26/2010   10/28/2010
Review By: catfishhunter
Pros: This course is awesome. The park is beautiful and well laid out. The local club does an excellent job of maintaining the course. Good facilities, benches and signs at every hole, multiple pin locations at most holes and they are moved frequently which is very nice. There is a very good mix of left and right shots, uphill and downhill shots, lots of trees which make you think about how you'd like approach each hole.

There a only a few holes (#1, #8 and #12) that let you open up and crank a drive. Slower, more controlled throws are the keys to success on this course. If you stay on the fairway the course is very manageable but if you hit a tree or go off the fairway you'll have to make a very good shot to save par.

#5, #7 and #22 are my favorite holes. #5 and #7 both play alongside the creek that runs through the park. The creek is pretty easy to avoid but it can get inside your head a little. For RHBH players, turning your disc over can spell disaster. #22 is very cool with 4 different pin locations. You'll throw a short shot over a deep gulley filled with kudzu. All three of these holes are good places to pick up a birdie.

There are a number of holes that can really mess up a good round here. It's not uncommon to hit the basket on an approach shot or putt only to watch your disc roll 50 feet down a hill, which can be funny when it happens to your buddy but is a real bummer if it happens to you.
Cons: The only thing that keeps me from giving this course a rating of 5 is that there are a few holes (#11 with the pin in the long, #13 and #14) that are basically a crapshoot. There isn't a definable route to take or gap to hit. On these holes you basically throw and then pray that your shot doesn't hit a tree and makes its way through. I have birdied these holes and it's not impossible but it is about 80% luck that your shot will make it through the trees.
Other Thoughts: I love playing here but it's not really a good beginners course. The trees and tight holes can be discouraging to new players. However, the guys at the local club are very nice and helpful. I've learned a lot by playing with them over the last year.
I've played here over 30 times and it feels like a new course every time I go out. If you're in the area or want to take a little roadtrip this is very good/fun place to play.

5+    9/10/2009   11/15/2009
Review By: Mcswainmj
Pros: Excellent course! Beautiful park and very challenging holes. Every hole requires something different and there are a lot of wooded holes. Course weaves all through a park and all around it! Good course for beginners and pros! Has a little of everything! 18th hole is amazing: Thrown over a ravine, looks awesome!
Cons: Few holes are hard to walk on because of all the rocks and roots. but that comes with some great terrain like this course has. not too much wrong with this one.
Other Thoughts: Any player can improve from playing this course! I have played it over 15 times and still look forward to playing it so i can try to improve my score! Very fun and easy to find!

WET AND WILD

1    10/31/2009   10/31/2009
Review By: jackrbailey72
Pros: Where do I start....
I am rating this as a 4.5 simply because it was truly PHENOMENAL and I want to reserve the 5....maybe I will change my mind...***This is the BEST course I have played to date***I played this course in the rain today with 52 degree temps and loved it. For the UFO's...your commitment to the sport and to your course is evident and very much appreciated.

1)Course Layout- This course is laid out PERFECTLY in tune and in line with its surroundings. Every hole is an adventure in itself, which is one of the reaons I LOVED this course. The mix of long, short, open, tight, up hill, down hill, cross the Kudzu valley on 18...plus a very plesant walk in the woods...
2) Signage...THIS COURSE IS THE STANDARD, in my HUMBLE opinion. Perfect signage and directional signs, hole layout, basket placement...EVEN the practice basket says, "PRACTICE" on it. BRAVO!!!!!!!
3) Risk versus Reward- A+...every single hole caused an internal dialogue...do a lay up or do I bomb it? Do I spike hyzer or keep the disc below the tree line and work the shot? What happends if....you catch my drift...This was SUCH a neat treat because not only was I playing in the rain, playing a course I never played before, but I was playing THE COURSE....today it won..+2...
4) Architectural detail- I say this because of the DIFFERENT shots that I had to make today because of the fairway shapes, hole placements, uphills, downhills...alone today I had to execute straight shots, Hyzer/A-Hyzer, Thumber, Tomahawk, long put, short put, roller, skip shot, and a PUT UP or SHUT UP 200' drive (normally not a big deal) acoss a Kudzu valley..
5) Practice area. NICE open practice area (well marked as stated above) and adjacent to the parking lot and Hole #1. I state this as a Pro because it is nice to have an area where you can short put and long put for warmups, plus be near your car for a quick change if you under or over dressed
6) Online course map. This map was GREAT...it was VERY easy navigating the course, but it was nice to have such an accurate and detailed map to have as a back up...I drove over 2 hours to play this course and did not spend my time searching for baskets or tee pads....
7) Course Condition. A+++...PROPS to the UFO's...guys, your course is OUTSTANDING and I appreciated the attention to detail with the benches, signage, directional signs, but more importantly there are no downed trees in the fairways, or psycho underbrush. The steps, bridges, and benches are in GREAT if not PERFECT shape, and it is CLEAN...AHHHH...how refreshing...AND...nice Info Kiosk...it represents you guys and gals wells and hats off to the UFO's...Oh, I would be remiss if I did not mention on Hole #2 HOW COOL of a idea was it to dig out UFO in the fairway...NICE TOUCH!!
Cons: Cons....Hmmm, the ONLY con I can think of is that this course is over 2 hours away from me (I live in Chilhowie, VA).
Other Thoughts: Thanks to the person who previously posted the GPS address....this was SPOT ON...thanks...I can see where it would get tricky without that.
For me, this is disc golf, This is why I have fallen in love with this sport. On a very serious note, THANKS UFO'S. You have a great course and I appreciate the love and attention you show your course. It made it a very PLEASANT trip and I plan to be back...
Favorite Holes-
#2- I LOVE this hole...one slip up or left turn of the disc and you are toast!!! Nice little holeshot hole and steep drop on the other side of the paved trail...
#10...I nearly aced this hole...I hit the basket and it hit the tree right in front...
Hole 7.5- I will always refer to this as the BASTARD hole...a simple little hole, but that little L to R curve and across the ravene took me by suprise...but it was fun...
Hole 18- I have to admit that a 200' drive is really not a big deal for me, but put kudzu between you and the basket and a ZERO chance of finding your disc if you shank it, PRICELESS....got my blood pumping....
GO PLAY THIS COURSE...This was such a great round for me and worth every minute of travel and gallon of gas. You have restrooms/changing area (CLEAN, too), great playground areas and places for the family to play while dad is in the woods chasing discs...safe area of Hickory in a nice neighborhood, but most importantly a very family-oriented, clean, and inviting place to come to!!!