Huntsville, AL
Univ. of Ala. Huntsville (UAH) Share
Uploaded By: BmaEngnr92 Hole #11 (Taken 8/2009)

2-4    3/24/2009   3/24/2009
Review By: jdawg24
Pros: *Challenging - has long holes, water & wind that will test all levels of players
*Some awesome holes -- over water that make you think about what disc you're gonna throw -- and a long, multi-shot hole down a narrow path and into an open area
*OB comes into play on ~50% of holes....shot selection is important, as well as playing the wind
*Good signage with distances
*Fun combination of long & short holes
*All holes have valid fairways.
Cons: *Plays around a busy road
*More than a few 'tweener distance par 3.5 holes that are 450-500+ feet....you aren't going to get a 2, you shouldn't get a 4....these were probably legit par 4's when the course went in, but aren't now
*Much of the course plays along a road, on campus, or in sight of both -- not secluded at all
*Only one set of teepads; would be a really tough course for beginners
Other Thoughts: This is an excellent course that i will always look forward to playing when visiting huntsville. I've played casually and in a tournament; for tournaments the course is setup with roped OB & poles to retrieve discs from cedars & water & is very groomed....playing it today casually, these elements were not there and the course seemed kinda overgrown, especially with privet in the wooded areas. Fun either way. All holes have valid fairways & most are visible from the tee, which is a huge perk. This is an open course with high exposure to the elements -- if it's sunny, you'll get plenty, and the same goes for wind.

2-4    3/22/2009   3/24/2009
Review By: AdamE
This review was updated on 8/3/2010
Pros: UAH is a beautiful, well maintained course that will challenge both your distance and accuracy (through long up shots, placement holes and avoiding OB). The majority of the course is very long with half the holes over 400ft. Most of the course is wide open, but there are a couple wooded holes and a few other holes with strategically placed trees. There is OB in play on over half the holes in the form of roads, sidewalks and water.

While big distance can really help you out here, it can also get you in trouble if you aren't accurate. Distance is helpful, but I believe a player who can throw 300-350 ft accurately can do well here.

Course has great signage, long tee pads, the baskets are in good shape and even have flags on top of them.
Cons: Very little shade, bring water in the summer! It would be nice to have more trashcans and benches here.

The course has a very nice flow from hole to hole, however there is a bit of a walk from 13 to 14 and 14 to 15. It isn't difficult to find the next hole, but it's not obvious like it is on the rest of the course.
Other Thoughts: Keep that in mind this is a championship caliber course, not a par 3/ace run course. If this is the kind of course you're looking for, you won't be disappointing.

Meh.....

2-4    8/17/2008   3/18/2009
Review By: wirerat123
Pros: 3 or 4 interesting holes, well maintained.
Cons: Mostly open, gets burning hot in the summer, not enough benches trashcans, or shaded areas. I despise courses that toy with busy roads, and that road tends to be BUSY. The water holes are nothing special really. The challenges bring a risk of nothing more than a ruined or lost disc if your throw is errant, and the valid possibility of denting someones car, or breaking their car window which adds challenge, but I don't think that kind of challenge is sensible.

This course is highly over rated, yes it's well maintained, yes it tests your arm, but other than that, it's nothing special. Monte Sano, Mastin Lake, and Redstone Arsenal are much more enjoyable courses.

Other Thoughts: Also the reviewer below said the people are rude. Sorry about that, I hate it when people ruin our reputation for southern charm and hospitality, UAH is where all the egos go to play disc golf. Go to any other course in the area and you'll be pleasantly surprised by how great the people are.

Well maintained course, pro caliber

1    12/13/2008   12/13/2008
Review By: SimonCarr
Pros: The UAH course is a dream course for golfers that can crush. There are plenty of opportunities to rip a drive. Many of the long holes (400-500 feet) require a good placement shot for a 3.

This course has good use of O.B. with the road coming into play on 4 shots, and another 3 or 4 where water comes into play. The course is mostly flat, with only slight elevation changes and sparse trees throughout.

There is one true par 4 that is a little over 600 feet. The fairway is about 30 feet wide with woods on either side - the shot is slightly downhill for the first 550, with a sharp cut to the left for the remaining 80 feet.

The 2 shots throwing over the edge of the pond (13 and 17) were awesome shots. Hole 13 plays about 270, with a slight anhyzer over the edge of the water required to land next to the basket. Hole 17 was around 400 feet - and a line drive shot would have to clear about 370 feet of water to reach the other side. Another nice feature was a 20 foot long disc retrival pole at the edge of the water.
Cons: The road/traffic comes into play on several holes. It wasn't a problem for me, but I imagine that when this course gets busy it can be dangerous.

There were several fairly straight and open holes that I did not care for. They could have benefited from planting a few trees/bushes.
Other Thoughts: This is a tough course that pros will love (mostly for the distance). I would not recommend this disc golf newcomers.

Anyone who can throw 400+ will really have an opportunity to score well here. This course could be a 4.5 with a few alternate tees. I will definitely play this course again if I am in the Huntsville area.

Long, Championship Caliber Course

5+    12/12/2008   12/12/2008
Review By: BmaEngnr92
This review was updated on 8/22/2011
Pros: Championship caliber course that will test most aspects of your game, but none more than your middle approach shots. There is good signage and concrete tee pads on every hole. The course flows naturally, so finding the next hole shouldn't be a problem. There's also a lot distance for those with big arms, but it's not just a grip-it and rip-it course. It was designed to be a pro-level course, so a lot of the trouble is magnified when you start throwing it 400+ (which I don't ;)). It's right on campus, so it's usually well maintained, and you're close to stores and the like.

Holes 4 (The Beast), 13 (The Leech), & 17 (The Dragon) are demanding, but really good holes.
Cons: There are no trash cans or benches on the course, which detracts a bit, because there is no shade other than a few holes, and having a place to sit and rest would be a nice addition. It also borders a few busy campus roads, and one very busy road, so it can be a bit distracting sometimes. However, this isn't a big negative, because the roads allow for some strategic OB lines on a few holes.
Other Thoughts: Bottom line, this a good course, but isn't necessarily beginner friendly. Most of the holes are very long, and several equally require good accuracy and big D. I enjoy playing the course due to it's challenge, and it's also a special course in the area because it has held USDGC twice, and the USWDGC. If you're looking for an easy pitch and putt course, this isn't it. However, if your looking for a good course that will challenge every facet of your game, then this is the place for you. I definitely recommend this course to anyone in the area, or anyone looking to take a day trip for some disc golf.

Favorite Holes: 2**(the old one), 4, 7, 9, 13, 16, 17, 18

**Update: 2 was a great hole, but now, due to the layout change, it leaves a lot to be desired.

One of the best designs in the SE

1    11/20/2008   11/20/2008
Review By: ZMan44
This review was updated on 1/27/2009
Pros: Tee Pads are in great shape. Holes are challenging and require placement off the tee. There is a lot of thinking about how to set yourself up for approaches which I believe adds a lot to the game. Signs are excellent. Groundskeeping was immaculate. Bathrooms are close to a majority of the holes.
Cons: Litter...there are few (if any) garbage cans on the course. There is a small pond that some of the holes play around and it was full of trash all along the bank of hole 17. There was also a lot of trash in the woods lining hole 4.

Traffic Distractions...Some holes are close to the interstate. Some play along a strectch of a 4-lane road that is very very busy. Many other holes play along campus roads. There were more than one occasion where I would wait for traffic as flight paths go over the roads.

DiscCatchers...I just don't like them. But these have been decorated very well by the Rocket City Chain Gang.
Other Thoughts: If you asked me to grade the design of the course, I would give it around a 4.5. But the traffic that is encountered is a nuisance at some point. I know I am not the highest rated pro, but stepping up to a tee pad and thinking "if I don't get on top of this drive, it may hyzer out into 4 lanes of traffic" is not a thought that makes a course enjoyable. Strangely, I found this course to be almost stressful to play and I play for relaxation. The litter was a pretty big problem. If it was cleaned up with some garbage cans placed at every third hole or so, the course would look much better.

As a side note (this did not factor into my evalauation) I found the locals to be very unfriendly. There were two guys that were in front of me, which is what I wanted because I did not have a map and I wanted to see where they would go after holing out. After a few holes they yelled at me to play through. I told them why I was following them but they said I was "pressuring" them by waiting at the tee. So I finally thought "screw it" and I played through. Then about 4 holes later, they yelled ahead at me because I was taking too long and didn't know where to go. There was also another guy who jumped in front of me in the middle of the course. No big deal, I figured I would follow him. There are two holes that play parallel (down and back) and we both teed off at the same time, so our drives landed about the same distance, each in our own fairway. Well he was about 30 feet away, so I politely said "how's it going?" as I passed. He looked right at me, kinda shrugged his shoulders and grunted and walked right past. So I just finished my round and drove to Guntersville for the night.

5+    5/25/2008   10/9/2008
Review By: bazkitcase5
Pros: Located on the UAH college campus, this course is beautiful and well maintained. The local club is very active and takes care of all their courses. The course has nice long concrete tees and DISCatcher baskets with a flag on top. The course is a long arm's dream, but with plenty of dangers, including roads, a stream, a big ditch, and 2 good water shots. If that is not enough, then it is almost always windy on this course, which can make your long shots even more difficult. If you like a challenge, you will love this course.
Cons: This course is long and not very beginner friendly. I do not know if it is possible, but I wish a few trees could be planted in the many open fairways to take this course to an even higher level of challenge, as well as giving some shade during the hot summers. It would be nice to see more benches throughout the course. The only bathrooms and water fountains are inside the building, which is usually locked unless a tournament is going on.
Other Thoughts: This is one of my favorite courses. Tournaments in Huntsville are well run and fun to play, and the mixture of courses, particularly with the addition of this one, will really test your overall game. The course is a lot of fun to play for advanced+ level players. The combination of the wind, OBs, distance, as well as some of the tricky shots involved in the course, along with the awesome upkeep, really makes this course something special. I would highly recommend this course if you are in the area and are looking for a challenging, yet beautiful course.

North Alabama Rocket Course

1    9/22/2008   10/2/2008
Review By: jaymon1
Pros: Upkeep, length, signs, layout.
Cons: Flat, could use more variety (mostly open).
Other Thoughts: The University of Alabama in Huntsville's disc golf course is long, manicured, and challenging. While the majority of the holes are open, trees do come into play, particularly on the front nine, and water makes for challenging OB on a couple holes. So the course does favor those with big arms for the most part, but also has enough holes with dangerous OB to require some strategy and control. Along with perfect signage, long concrete teepads, and great upkeep (at least when I was there, but I bet all the time), these factors all add up to a classic course for northern Alabama.

I was lucky enough to play this course just after the U.S. Women's Disc Golf Championship. So of course it was in peak shape. I feel confident, however, that upkeep is always one of the strengths of this course. The course is easy to find and is laid out over a considerable amount of land; fair par is probably in the mid to upper 60s. Most holes are picture perfect, but the course does lack variety to some extent, in that most holes are also mostly open. There are two woods holes on the front nine, and two water holes on the back nine, but otherwise nothing too tight out here. But you'll need a 400-foot arm to excel, otherwise you'll be looking at a lot of 4s. The only other disadvantages are that the course plays too close to roads in a few spots, and has no elevation at all, but even so this is a top notch course, based on its length and appearance most of all.

Overall, UAH is definitely worth playing. Just be sure to stretch your throwing arm ahead of time and carry your most booming driver (you may not need much else), and you'll be all set to enjoy this high-end disc golf experience.

Favorite Hole - #17 - Moderately long shot that must angle over water and landscaping.

4/26/2008   4/29/2008
Review By: Rogue Skunk
Pros: Beautiful. Very well maintained. The flags on top of the baskets were a very nice touch that I haven't yet seen at other courses I've played.
Cons: The majority of the holes were far too long for a player of my skill level. After finishing one round my arm was killing me.
Other Thoughts: Bring your floaters. The two holes skirting the pond were actually two of my favorites on this course but if it wasn't for the Dragon I would have lost a driver on the first one.

Beautiful park

4/19/2008   4/19/2008
Review By: domihop20
Pros: very well kept, beautiful pond and scenery. lots of different challenges.
Cons: Lost a Frisbee on Hole 17, bring your floaters. The fairway is ridiculously narrow. Also, I highly recommend bringing a map your first time, the holes and following tees are a bit spread out.