Sylmar, CA
Sylmar (Veterans Park) Share
Uploaded By: Danger Hole #10 (Taken 4/2010)
3 / 255ft.   3 / 305ft.   3 / 390ft.   3 / -- Par / Distance:

One of the Best

1    3/24/2011   5/21/2011
Review By: roadtripstuff
Pros:
On-Site Pro Shop
Multiple Pin Positions
Baskets/Each Position is Color Coded
Amazing Use of Elevation
Requires Every Shot in Your Bag
Figure 8 Design (9 & 18 End at Parking Lot)
Great Flow and Design
Great Variety of Distances
Course Is Away From Other Park Traffic
Very Well Manicured and Maintained
Locals Are The Best (Friendly and Helpful)
Practice Basket
Trash Cans and Benches Throughout
Ample Parking
Beautiful Course/Landscaping
Lessons (From Pro) Available for a Fee
Great Tee Signs
Bathrooms On-Site
Cons:
*I really have to nitpick for cons.

Could Use More Distance Holes
Can Get Crowded
You Can See the Wear/Erosion Issues
Sylmar/Veteran's Park Disc Golf Course is located in a nice 96-acre park in Sylmar, CA, a suburb of Los Angeles. The Park is very easy to locate, just minutes from the 210. Enter the park from Sayre Street and make a left once inside the park. The 19th Hole, the pro shop, and parking lot will be on your left.

From the parking lot you can see the pro shop, practice basket, and the first tee pad will be beside the pro shop, left of the entrance to the shop. Be sure to stop in the shop, not only to pay for your rounds, but to check out their huge selection of discs and accessories. The pro shop is also where you are likely to find at least one, if not both of the Rico brothers, Bamba and Steve. Not only do the run the shop, they designed the current layout and also give lessons by the hour (for a nominal fee).

Begin your round at hole 1 near the pro shop. The designers have implemented a well thought-out red, white, and blue color coded system for the baskets. Each hole has a red, white, and blue placement and the baskets are painted to match. Not only does this allow you to see which placement the basket is in and the distance of each, it also helps with navigation. The holes are always placed in a red, white and blue pattern so if you just played a red hole the next will be white, then blue and so on.

The course itself plays through beautiful mature trees that really force you to chose your lines and use a variety of shots to shoot well. The designers also made great use of the elevation that this park has to offer. At least half of the holes, if not more, have some sort of elevation in play, whether it be uphill, downhill, or a well placed basket you will need to know how to play elevation changes on this course.

The designers/crew also did an amazing job with the landscaping and overall aesthetics. Carefully placed boulders, bricks and landscaping timbers are not only pleasing to the eye, they create challenge and prevent further erosion keeping this park in great condition.

Overall this is one of the best and most fun courses I have yet to play. Sylmar is a must-play for anyone heading to the greater LA area and a course I will play time and time again.

I would rate 4 star but...

2-4    9/4/2010   9/18/2010
Review By: The Meat Truck
This review was updated on 9/21/2010
Pros: Great hole variety, nice elevation on certain holes, all baskets are clearly marked.
Easy to find your way around hole to hole.
Nice pro shop.
Good tee pads.
Park right at hole one and finish near your car.
Cons: Can be very busy, had to wait for two people in front of my group last time, but not everytime.
2 dollars to play not a big deal really but still.
My one BIG issue with this course is the overgrown weeds with thorny stickers, that stuck everywhere, and i mean everywhere the entire bottom of my shoes were covered with them and for a course i have to pay to play at, they should really have better upkeep.
Other Thoughts: Good challenging course that I would give 4 stars if they would clean it up a bit.

Highly Recommended

1    9/9/2010   9/17/2010
Review By: throwmadisc
Pros: First off, I would like to say this is now my favorite course to play. When we played this course there wasn't to many people so it was nice and relax. I love the scenery, the holes are short but still make you give your shot some thought. Technical but not out of control. You got your left hooks, and you right hooks, you got your trees, your ups and a downs. My favorite hole is 11, you throw down the hill and your disc just flys real nice. They also have a man-made pyramid that a basket sits on top of raising the basket about 4 feet off the ground, we weren't lucky enough to have it the rounds we played but it looked like it would be alot of fun to play. Also one thing to bring attention to is the tee work and color coded tees and baskets. This set up makes the flow of the course extremely easy to follow. You simply see the color that is posted on the signs and that is the color basket you are throwing to. Such a great system to have. All the tees have some type of stone work or rock work around them. Tee pads to range in size but never to small. and the biggest plus of all..this side of the park is 100% Dedicated to Disc Golf.

Cons: Holes could be a little bit longer, its sylmar so on the wrong day it could be a scorcher! A little far out there (thats just for us because we live further south so its a bit of a drive)
Other Thoughts: PLAY HERE!!!

Disc Golf the Way It Was Meant to Be

1    7/12/2010   7/19/2010
Review By: jaymon1
Pros: Amenities, views, course upkeep
Other Thoughts: The course at Veterans Park is a high-end SoCal disc golf experience. With an excellent onsite pro shop, lessons available from the onsite pros, top-end signage, concrete teepads, a large area of the park devoted strictly to disc golf, an easy to follow color-coded system to get from hole to hole, and a bunch of broad views, you'll be hard pressed to find a better overall disc golf outing in the whole Los Angeles sprawl.

The course starts out on grassy, flat, groomed park land, which does unrealistically set expectations a bit. After hole 4 you move down into the more dirt and mulch area of the park, but the advantage is that elevation becomes more of a factor also. Sylmar is an older course, and thus is not particularly long, but does have plenty of fun shots, downhill, uphill, and just among the many large trees. There are enough trees to keep you honest, but you don't need a variety of shots to succeed out here - driving long enough and for the most part straight is the main thing. Beyond the pro shop and other amenities already noted, the two features that stand out are the nice views of the valley from several holes, particularly #11, and then the several uphill holes, which add a good bit of challenge to an otherwise par 3 course.

While Veterans Park has only one set of teepads, multiple pin placements will keep the course fresh for even regular players, I'm sure. It's the kind of course most of us would love to have as a local course - you can buy everything you need right there, it's nice looking, the baskets can be moved around as needed, you don't have to share the space with other park users, and it's kept in great shape. I'd put this course at or near the top of your SoCal wishlist if you're planning a visit, and I'm sure all you locals are grateful to have such a nice course tucked away out there on the quiet edge of the L.A. megaopolis.

2-4    5/21/2010   7/17/2010
Review By: Jason Daves
Pros: Exclusive use course, great pro-shop, multiple pins and tees. I really enjoyed this course. The staff at the pro-shop were great!
Cons: It's not in Colorado!
Other Thoughts: This is a must visit if you're in the LA area. I can't wait to go back.

Great Course

5+    6/6/2010   6/16/2010
Review By: TrippinBill
Pros: Sylmar has a great variety of holes with varying degrees of length and difficulty. Some nice elevation change, nice tunnel shots, some more open holes with protected greens, shorter finesse holes, multiple pin locations, and now a couple of extra "pro" tee pads. The disc golf section of the park is used primarily for just that. Some occasional folks walking their dogs, but all that I have encountered yield to the disc golfers. I've even had some stop their walk while I putt. The tee pads are a good size and all concrete. The baskets are in good shape, and they alternate colors. Red, white and blue as you go around the course. This makes navigation a breeze. My first time playing it I did it with no map with no problems. They have an excellent pro shop with discs, bags, apparel, snacks, and drinks. Some times Steve Rico is working behind the counter. Nice practice basket just outside the pro shop. There is a bathroom close to several tee pads and baskets.
Cons: The course can be a bit dusty, but it's not too bad. The area is frequently windy, and this makes the dust worse. There could be a few more trash cans throughout the course. Some players might feel that the course is too short or not challenging enough, but for a player like me it is great.
Other Thoughts: One of the best things about this course is that the Rico brothers are very involved with it. Unless I play the course multiple times in one day, it is never the same. I have personally never experienced back ups on the course except in tournament play. One thing I feel I should mention is that the sheriffs patrol the park frequently. No alcohol allowed and smoking on the course is prohibited.

5+    5/1/2010   5/4/2010
Review By: Ludwig
This review was updated on 5/21/2010
Pros: -Friendly and knowledgeable staff at pro shop.

-Friendly fellow disc golfers on the course.

- Relatively short course, but that's more than made up for with trees and elevation changes in addition to the multiple pin locations that seem to change every week or two.

- Pro shop has great selection of discs and other related equipment. As well as some snacks and drinks for those hot days.

Cons: - Arriving any time after 10:00 a.m. on weekends, the course can get a little crowded and very HOT. Although there's a good amount of shade, bring something to drink or buy water or gatorade from the pro shop.
Other Thoughts: This will most likely become my "regular" course as not only is it the closest one to me, but it is an excellent course to boot and I'll be returning frequently.

My Cali home course

5+    1/1/2010   4/15/2010
Review By: z-man
Pros: Let me begin by saying California lacks the park land for really spectacular disc golf courses...This being said...Sylmar offers a course that is about as close to what I expect coming from my home state of Iowa...

-Multiple pin positions changed fairly frequently allow a different course to be played each week.
-Accurate tee signs
-Pro shop right off of hole number 1
-Friendly locals willing to show you around
-Excellent use of terrain...this course will require you to throw hyzers, anhyzers, up and down hills, etc...
-Practice basket off of hole 1 to allow you to warm up
-Weekly mini on Thursday nights
Cons: -Can get fairly crowded on the weekends...if you arrive early enough its usually not a problem
-Kind of rocky terrain can scuff up some of your plastic
-Gets hot in the summer time...try to play from the shade
Other Thoughts: There is a huge expanse of land just north of the park...If the city would allow the course to drift a little farther up that way another 18 hole course could be created...

L.A. Area Icon Course!

1    3/31/2010   4/9/2010
Pros: Because I showed up to play at daybreak, I'll have to skip on a couple of obvious pros to this course. The pro shop wasn't open yet. There were no friendly (or unfriendly) locals around to play with or guide me. Just a nice old couple out for a early morning walk. It's obvious that a lot of TLC has gone into this course. Great teepads with some rock work on some. The signs were pretty clear and informative. This is just a nice park for a course, lots of trees, plenty of elevation. A little more rustic than most courses I've experienced in SoCal. It's definitly a course that could challenge most any player. There are chances for most of us to air it out. # 11 plays is a sweet downhill throw. A couple of very demanding uphill shots. There's enough elevation to wear you out.
Cons: Just a couple of smaller items. Playing by myself in the early AM, navigation ws a little dicey. Even with the map, I wasn't always sure which basket to throw to. I think I'm a liitle too thick for the three colored basket system. There were a couple of holes playing very close to neighbors yards.
Other Thoughts: I'm sorry I missed out on visiting the pro shop. Sounds great. The $2 sounds like a small pittance to play all day. And I think had I been able to play here with a local or had been able to follow some locals, it would have greatly enhanced my experience at Skylmar. While I liked this course, I won't say it was my favorite in the area. I don't know if the locals consider Lake Casitas as an area course or not? But I would have to rank it as my favorite SoCal course. But having said that, I enjoyed Skylmar and would love to play it again or have it as my home base.

Worth every penny!

2-4    3/29/2010   3/30/2010
Review By: mrstiggy
Pros: Well maintained. Plenty of trash cans and nearly litter free. Great more "rustic" setting then most SoCal courses. Great sinage was being installed as I played. Elevation changes, and a good mix bag of shots. It took nearly every shot in my bag. Most holes are birdieable if you are a moderate player. There are a few huge bombs and a couple tough uphill shots. Plenty of obsticals, and the rough is not too rough.
A good mix of distances. Well maintained and placed T-pads. Pro-shop on-site. Pro-shop takes Visa/Mastercard/Discover. Plently of cold drinks and snacks in stock at fair prices. Large selection of Innova and a moderate selection of Discraft. A good selection of rare discs, and X-outs. Small used stash. What is really great is that they have a lost and found section, though it would be tough to loose a disc here. Friendly staff.
Intuitive Red, White, and Blue basket system makes it very easy to navigate. Maps provided at proshop when you pay your entrance fee. Paths are worn in and easy to follow. Conrete tees poured throughout the course. Friendly locals always willing to let you pick up a game, or give you navigation directions. Multiple pin positions.
There is a putt practice basket that is very well set up. It contains a "confidence" ring made out of concrete blocks. Each block is labled with a distace to quite a way out. Great place to tune in your short game, start from the closest block and work out. Its truely a So-cal Gem.

Cons: There are only few small cons, and I have to dig to find them on this course.
Biggest drawback was there was kinda a creepy homeless guy looking for bottles and cans, but he kept to himself.
Although it is not an issue for me, some recreational players might get winded/tired out from some of the climbs.
As the same for all So-Cal Parks drinking is a bad idea on the course so keep yer beers low, if you fancy that sort of thing on the course.
Other Thoughts: So far this is the best year round course I have found in SoCal. Only course that tops it that I have seen here is Sunrise. If you are in the area, this is a must play.