Gautier, MS
Shepard State Park Share
Uploaded By: ninja-don
One of the natural teepads. Look behind the thrower at the type of rough you may encounter.

Old Yeller

1    12/17/2012   12/27/2012
Review By: swatso
Pros:
Easy to navigate, with yellow baskets and yellow next-tee signs, and nice map/scorecard.

Two nine-hole loops. Bathroom near tee-1.
Cons:
It was a tight race between Bud Light, Keystone, and Budweiser as to which was the favourite of the litterbugs.

Single row-of-chains baskets. $3 to enter park.
Course is carved out of the pines, and in/out of the open space, of a near-seaside state park. With an average length of ~250', and most holes being of walking-path width, this is a course about touch and control. Attributes you should expect to find include:

Tee areas: About 1/3rd of the tees were 6'x'9' concrete trapezoids, the remainder natural. Basic signs. Benches at every hole.

Elevation: quite flat throughout, only a few holes having a modicum of change.

Distances: only a couple of holes require you to really cut loose, but even on these, you have a left-side tree/brush line to avoid. Over 3/4ths fall into the 165'-265' range.

Tightness: While a few holes are open, typically along the right side, most are broad-to-narrow walking-path widths, defined by tall, thin pines, and their supporting brush.

Shot-shapes: A couple dead-straight, a couple S-shapes, a few righties, but the majority being straight-then-fade-left.

Favourite hole(s): #17/#14. Two similar (mirror-image) holes, 300'/333', requiring elongated S-shapes within mid-width fairways defined by tall, thin trees.

Nice course to work on your touch-game.

Home Course

5+    7/5/2012   10/21/2012
Review By: demamazins
Pros: The course is located within a state park. A heavily wooded course that will make or break a players score. Finesse shots are required to reach each hole while navigating fairways that are 10-15 feet in width. Favorite holes are 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9, 11, 13, 15, 17 and 18. Bright colored discs are encouraged. This is a par 3 course.
Cons: Some areas are overcome by water. Often tee-pads need to relocated for tee-offs when water creates an area that is unsuitable. Overgrowth needs to be trimmed.
Other Thoughts: A par 3 course. Holes 3 and 16 play as a par 4. (56 = Par). The scorecard has correct distances but with incorrect Par listings.

Wooded

5+    5/11/2012   5/16/2012
Review By: DiscCoulter09
This review was updated on 5/21/2012
Pros: The design of the course is wonderful. It goes through a wooded area and uses the trees and water and surrounding areas wonderfully. Each whole is different and requires some skilled shots. They have recently put up signs to next wholes. This is wonderful.
In the summer time, be prepared for a lot of insects, bring lots of water, sunscreen and bug spray. #11 also is a water hole - must be able to throw 200 ft in the air to clear the water. Also, it is good to have a spotter on some wholes to locate discs when they don't land in the fairway.
Cons: Not all tee pads are cement. They had some gravel ones, but have not maintained them at all. In the spring and summer, more keeping the course in shape would be nice.
Costs $3.00 to get into the park.
Other Thoughts: Put in more teepads, gravel or pavement, but take time do it right.

Mississippi swamp

1    4/3/2012   4/4/2012
Review By: cmoney49
Pros: Good difficult course. It has a lot of varying distances for the holes. I would suggest having a spotter for most hole because you can't see many baskets. If I am ever down there again i will play again.
Cons: Bugs and fire ants. My dumb ass played in sandals, shorts and a tank top. I lost my favorite disc on hole 3 and was looking for it and stood on a tree and got stung by fire ants. Bring bug spray and wear shoes.
Other Thoughts: Hole 11 was scary with having to throw over the swamp. I am from Maryland so I am not used to those elements.

Sheparding the Flock

5+    12/27/2011   1/3/2012
Review By: ohtobediscing
This review was updated on 7/22/2013
Pros: This is a nice little course that borders a coastal marsh, yet has a number of small elevation changes that spice up the short game. Most of the front 9 traverses through a southern pine forest with yupon, huckleberry and sweet bay undergrowth that likes to slap your disc down and hide it if you're off-fairway. #s 1 and 9 cross a creek hollow[open, but mucky in rainy season], and #s 2-5 use a corner of a field and the road cutback for the only "open" shots on the course. The back 9 throws over a swampy, reedy arm of the bay, crosses the creek hollow for a few holes, has more hardwood canopy and taller undergrowth, yet the fairways are a bit more open than the front 9. Lots of blind baskets, so grab a course map at the entrance station or have someone who knows the course. For a couple of the holes a spotter would be appreciated. Route finding is decent as there are new next-tee signs near all the baskets. As a lefty I had to use forehand more than most courses, but found reasonable distances and enjoyable shot-shaping. Situated just off the gulf, its isolated from traffic routes and I've yet to ever see it crowded. Benches, and a scattering of garbage cans. Tee pads are an erratic mix of natural and cement.
Cons: Narrow, undergrowth-walled fairways with a mix of house-high shrubbery and ground cover just tall enough to hide discs. Fall/winter/spring is a better time to play in terms of weather[heat, humidity], shrubbery, insects[mosquitoes, flies, giant garden spiders] and reptiles. Wear long pants for disc-hunting in the blackberry- and thorny vine-infested undergrowth.
Other Thoughts: I took 6 kids under 12 and 3 adults, all newbies, 'cause they lived nearby. Only managed to play 9 holes, everyone had fun, and nobody got brained[though it was close a few times]. Playground is right by #9 hole, with bathroom[and drinking water] nearby. Nearest convenience store is 2 miles away. Bulldog Bayou DGC is about 3 miles away, and except for #s 1-4, a bit more noob-friendly.

Make You Holla Fo 3 Dolla

5+    11/18/2011   11/18/2011
Review By: Osshane
Pros: Various shots are called for. It has a good mixture of short, medium, and long holes. Great course to play in the upcoming winter. The course is not crowded and provides a great family atmosphere. Newly cleaned up by myself and some friends.
Cons: Bugs are very bad in the Summer and whenever else the feel like coming out so always have your bug spray for the woods. Easy to lose a disc if you go left or right as the woods are thick. I have been played there over 50 times and cleaned the course and have only seen one snake but they are present.
Other Thoughts: Very nice course if you are in the area! Come check us out! Looking to start up league play on the Weekends or late afternoon. If interested email me at OSshane@yahoo.com

Awesome

2-4    10/23/2011   10/25/2011
Review By: Rebels44
Pros: Calls for different shots
Clean and well taken care of.
Tight as well as open holes.
Cons: Mostly for right handers and im a lefty
Could be a little hard to follow holes

Other Thoughts: Really fun course. Well worth 3 dollars. Could lose a disc if not careful.

cleaned-up!

5+    10/9/2011   10/12/2011
Review By: madmikesmith
Pros: newly cleaned and cleared!!! low traffic area, somewhat challenging, nice scenery, small overall distance b/w holes
Cons: bugs in the summer, thick brush, people littering!!!!
Other Thoughts: i was recently given permission to clean up this coarse as its my local coarse.my friends and myself have cleaned up the front 9, cleared alot of the overgrowth, even upgraded some of the natural tee boxes. we've also started the back 9 but still have a couple of holes to finish. hopefully everyone will enjoy our efforts and try to keep it clean from litter!!!

Disc Golf in Ole Miss

1    2/14/2011   2/16/2011
Review By: RussMB
This review was updated on 3/6/2011
Pros: -Located in a State Park (Does cost 3$ to enter the park.) Well maintained, and taken care of. There is a campground, as well as hiking trails, and a host of other activities.
-Very friendly staff at the ranger station.
-Mixed shots: Predominately shaped wooded shots that play through dense tree-lined woods. Also includes wider fairway shots, and a couple open field shots. If you don't like tight woods, playing accuracy shots, and risk/reward holes, then this may not be the course for you.
-Course map & Scorecard available at the Ranger station
-The ranger told me they sell discs in the ranger station. (Though I didn't have time to go inside and shop)
-Restrooms at the start. (Located next to first tee)
-Good pin placements, but not balanced. Predominately Right-Handed pin placements.
-What's available at the Tee: Benches, Natural Tee pads with Markers, No tee signs.
-Navigation wasn't difficult, although a couple of holes were difficult to locate. (Namely #4. It's across the road, after the road turns left.) After that, everything follows a path in the woods.
-Navi cont… There are wooden signs that will point you towards the next tee pad.
-Varying shots are required here. It's a mixture of Distance shots, Doglegs, strategic approaches and some Risk/Reward shots.
-Accurate placement here is the key. VERY dense woods can cost one his or her disc. If this is your first time, it would behoove one to play more conservative. (I lost 3 discs the day I played here)
-Hole #11 is my favorite. It's a 210ft shot that throws across a watery marsh. You tee off from the path, then cross a bridge to get to the basket. Very scenic, and subject to the weather. I love it!
Cons: Cons
-Could definitely use signs to mark the tee area, at least a bigger marker. (As mentioned above, some were difficult to locate). Second time navigation should be easier.
-There are quite a few blind shots, where you will need to walk the fairway to locate the basket.
-As you make your way to way to hole 9, you have cross fairway #2. A group walked out of the woods near the basket as I was getting ready to tee off.

These Issues are a part of the course. They fall into that "It is what it is" category. Though the park is located on the beautiful gulf shores of Mississippi, the woods can be very unfriendly.
-The woods are very dense and full of thorns, briars, and a tall grass that covers the ground. Locating an errant throw could be next to impossible. …and will it will tear the snot out of your arms.
-Thick Mud and water make this course treacherous. A heavy rain will make it worse.
-Bugs, Snakes, and other wildlife will also be a factor. (Be prepared
- On the distance throws, I would recommend a spotter. Most of the baskets are blind, and if your throw goes into the woods, I hope you find your disc. All of my throws were good throws, but I lost track of them in the woods. This course consumed three of my discs. So, if you remember one thing, remember this: Stay out of the Woods!
Other Thoughts: I was in Gulfport Mississippi for a funeral, and I had a window of free time. So I rushed over here to take in a round. This was the first thing I realized. If you are going to play here, it will be more enjoyed if you are non-rushed. I think that rushing lead to some of my problems. This course needs to be played with strategy and proper placement. I would recommend a conservative approach, as you will be playing in some rough terrain. After losing my two drivers, I toned down my drives and began driving with my putters and mids. I actually began to score very well, which helped my score. ...until I lost my roc!
The front 9 was more wide open and flat, with the last few holes going through the woods. The back 9 was what I was looking forward to, with the token hole being #11. (The teepad is about 10ft past the turn to cross the bridge). More treacherous terrain and some hill climbing. I enjoy going deep into the woods, and seeing amazing imagery. I did lose my Roc on hole #14. It's a long and narrow path that has a subtle "S" shape to it. I watched it land near the basket, but I never found it. I had to leave after #14 to return to the funeral activities, but I hope to return here again under better, non-rushed circumstances.
I would recommend wearing attire for muddy areas, with bugs. I wore my Nikes, but I would have preferred my Merrells. There weren't any food places or Gas stations near the park, but if you are coming from I-10, Highway 90 has a bunch of restaurants and gas stations. This place looks like it would be a great place to camp for the night, if you are so inclined. It's an hour from Mobile, and maybe just over an hour from New Orleans.

Good in the Winter

1    3/16/2010   4/9/2010
Review By: Suic
Pros: This course has a varied and generally challenging layout and sadly is one of the best on the MS coast. I played during the Winter and so didn't have much if any trouble with overgrown brush. Have I played better courses? Absolutely; but for this course being as off the beaten path as it is and with such a small staff to keep things up; I was pleasantly surprised at the hole variety.
Cons: 1)Recent rain will turn a decent number of the holes into marshland
2)Most of the course punishes non-accurate throws by forcing the thrower to take a trip into thick underbrush(only during the summer)
Other Thoughts: I don't really feel that this deserves 4 stars, but I think the current overall average is much lower than this deserves. My real rating would be a 3.5 or 3.75 if that were possible.