Gautier, MS
Shepard State Park Share
Uploaded By: ninja-don
Keep an eye out for these markers to save yourself some searching time.

1 2 Next >
 Needs Attention

1    5/9/2009   5/11/2009
Review By: Matthew Gardner
Pros: This course has good baskets and hole 11 is pretty cool and thats about it as far as pros.
Cons: This course is way too grown up. Out of 18 holes there is maybe 2 or 3 with fairways over 2 feet. And if you dont throw at least 250 ft straight on most holes you may lose your disc. And even then you may lose it.
Other Thoughts: If you play this course take BUG SPRAY or you will be carried off by the bugs here!

Great Vaction course

1    4/3/2009   4/7/2009
Review By: gusc2375
Pros: This course was very clean. Baskets are in very good shape. The score card did have a map it helps but is not the greatest. I really liked the fairways most were tight blind shots but if you walk the hole or have spotters disc lose is minimal. Hole 8 has an island rough this feature is some thing I haven't see used before nice feature. I liked the rough it was thick and made you chose accuracy over power. Not all the holes were the same 3, 15 16 were much more open with little rough in play.
Cons: The course could use more trash cans. The tee pads were not all concrete. The Pad for 8 had big roots that could be a trip hazard. Hole 3, 5 cross a road be mindful when teeing off. Watch your disc full flight easy to lose disc in thick rough. The gap for 9 was very tight it could be a little wider and still be a hard shot.
Other Thoughts: I liked this course a lot. Hole 11 over the swamp was my favorite, I have thrown over water before but not like this. I walked each hole before I played them, really helped me to get a feel for the shot. A little better map on scorecard would help. also look for arrow head shaped signs pointing the way to the next hole. This I would like to see on some other courses. the $3.00 is nothing to pay for such a good course. I would like to play this course more but I was on Vacation in the Biloxi MS area .

For the adventurous type

1    3/6/2009   3/6/2009
Review By: Jager
Pros: Good layout. Good distance on most holes. The front nine were great diving in and out of the woods.
Cons: Back nine got a little deep. A lot of long narrow winding fairways with disc eating woods on each side. No maps, and almost every basket was not within view from the tee. Alot of exploring to navigate this course. Dirt tees with roots screwing up your throw.
Other Thoughts: Bug spray is a must on this wood course. If you get off the fairway you will be burried in thorn bushes. Hole 11 was a thrill. It plays over a mud swamp and into a wooded cove. Bridge is necessary to get from tee to basket. Scared the crap out of my partner. The holes can get quite adventurous as you go deep into the woods. Luckily there are enough holes out of the woods to make this an enjoyable course.

Welcome to the Jungle!

2-4    10/12/2008   10/20/2008
Review By: Ninja_Disc_Master
Pros: Beautiful scenery with nice baskets.
Cons: Too many "Blind" shots to count with a high probability of a wayward shot into the "Jungle". The provided scorecard map is ineffective and only some of the trails to next tee is marked appropriately.
Other Thoughts: Very challenging with a couple really cool holes. One of which was across a sizeable bayou swamp gap. If you're prepared to lose a disc at any given time I highly suggest this scenic course with a true natural feel.

Bush Wackers Needed!!!

2-4    10/19/2008   10/19/2008
Review By: ninja-don
This review was updated on 10/31/2008
Pros: Nice DISCatcher chains. Place was well maintained considering the nominal amount of people they have to take care of this park. Just try to stay on the trails. Trail are very nice, and scenic. Over all I really enjoyed this course.
Cons: Not all holes had concrete tee pads, 16 of the 18 holes are blind shots from the tee. You either have to play this course with someone who has been here before, or walk the hole before you throw. Most holes are narrow and if you put a disc of course (and you will) you will be "Bush Wacking" your way through some thick brush and tall grass, thorns, and other trees and growth to find your disc. Score card map is not that helpful. Posted pars on card are unrealistic.

(UPDATE)- I've heard horror stories about the bugs on this course, but the two times I've played I didn't have a problem. But the MS area is pretty bad for bugs in general, so bug spray is not a bad idea.
Other Thoughts: Strongly suggest bringing you brightest colored disc and use spotters at least half way up the "fairway" (most likely just a trail) to spot where your disc may be "when" you put one in the trees. Might be a good idea to wear pants too if weather permits... there are some sharp plants of the trails.

(UPDATE)- I just played this course for the 2nd time and it was an awesome experience... once you've played this course once the map becomes much easier to navigate. The holes don't seem so hard because you "should" have a better idea where the baskets are. I still strongly suggest having a spotter so you won't be looking trough the tree as much.
If you do throw one or twenty into the trees, Don't give up... you'll probably find it with some effort... especially if you have a spotter to kind of gauge where it landed in the first place.
I'm going to raise my initial rating of 2.5 up to a 3.5 because I feel my first review may have been a little harsh due to the challenging nature of this course compared to my beginner arm.
This is my favorite course now. I plan to play it at least one more time before I move in a month.
It cost $3.00 per car to get into the park, they will give you scorecard with the course map on the flip side if you ask, or it will be next to the mail box at the toll booth house looking thing. WELL WORTH THE MONEY!!!

1 2 Next >