Gautier, MS
Shepard State Park Share
Uploaded By: cbr1000derek Hole #13
Hole #13 Tee: Basket is on the ridge between the the 2 open paths.

1 2 Next >
 Disc Golf in Ole Miss

1    2/14/2011   2/16/2011
Review By: RussMB
This review was updated on 3/6/2011
Pros: -Located in a State Park (Does cost 3$ to enter the park.) Well maintained, and taken care of. There is a campground, as well as hiking trails, and a host of other activities.
-Very friendly staff at the ranger station.
-Mixed shots: Predominately shaped wooded shots that play through dense tree-lined woods. Also includes wider fairway shots, and a couple open field shots. If you don't like tight woods, playing accuracy shots, and risk/reward holes, then this may not be the course for you.
-Course map & Scorecard available at the Ranger station
-The ranger told me they sell discs in the ranger station. (Though I didn't have time to go inside and shop)
-Restrooms at the start. (Located next to first tee)
-Good pin placements, but not balanced. Predominately Right-Handed pin placements.
-What's available at the Tee: Benches, Natural Tee pads with Markers, No tee signs.
-Navigation wasn't difficult, although a couple of holes were difficult to locate. (Namely #4. It's across the road, after the road turns left.) After that, everything follows a path in the woods.
-Navi cont… There are wooden signs that will point you towards the next tee pad.
-Varying shots are required here. It's a mixture of Distance shots, Doglegs, strategic approaches and some Risk/Reward shots.
-Accurate placement here is the key. VERY dense woods can cost one his or her disc. If this is your first time, it would behoove one to play more conservative. (I lost 3 discs the day I played here)
-Hole #11 is my favorite. It's a 210ft shot that throws across a watery marsh. You tee off from the path, then cross a bridge to get to the basket. Very scenic, and subject to the weather. I love it!
Cons: Cons
-Could definitely use signs to mark the tee area, at least a bigger marker. (As mentioned above, some were difficult to locate). Second time navigation should be easier.
-There are quite a few blind shots, where you will need to walk the fairway to locate the basket.
-As you make your way to way to hole 9, you have cross fairway #2. A group walked out of the woods near the basket as I was getting ready to tee off.

These Issues are a part of the course. They fall into that "It is what it is" category. Though the park is located on the beautiful gulf shores of Mississippi, the woods can be very unfriendly.
-The woods are very dense and full of thorns, briars, and a tall grass that covers the ground. Locating an errant throw could be next to impossible. …and will it will tear the snot out of your arms.
-Thick Mud and water make this course treacherous. A heavy rain will make it worse.
-Bugs, Snakes, and other wildlife will also be a factor. (Be prepared
- On the distance throws, I would recommend a spotter. Most of the baskets are blind, and if your throw goes into the woods, I hope you find your disc. All of my throws were good throws, but I lost track of them in the woods. This course consumed three of my discs. So, if you remember one thing, remember this: Stay out of the Woods!
Other Thoughts: I was in Gulfport Mississippi for a funeral, and I had a window of free time. So I rushed over here to take in a round. This was the first thing I realized. If you are going to play here, it will be more enjoyed if you are non-rushed. I think that rushing lead to some of my problems. This course needs to be played with strategy and proper placement. I would recommend a conservative approach, as you will be playing in some rough terrain. After losing my two drivers, I toned down my drives and began driving with my putters and mids. I actually began to score very well, which helped my score. ...until I lost my roc!
The front 9 was more wide open and flat, with the last few holes going through the woods. The back 9 was what I was looking forward to, with the token hole being #11. (The teepad is about 10ft past the turn to cross the bridge). More treacherous terrain and some hill climbing. I enjoy going deep into the woods, and seeing amazing imagery. I did lose my Roc on hole #14. It's a long and narrow path that has a subtle "S" shape to it. I watched it land near the basket, but I never found it. I had to leave after #14 to return to the funeral activities, but I hope to return here again under better, non-rushed circumstances.
I would recommend wearing attire for muddy areas, with bugs. I wore my Nikes, but I would have preferred my Merrells. There weren't any food places or Gas stations near the park, but if you are coming from I-10, Highway 90 has a bunch of restaurants and gas stations. This place looks like it would be a great place to camp for the night, if you are so inclined. It's an hour from Mobile, and maybe just over an hour from New Orleans.

Good in the Winter

1    3/16/2010   4/9/2010
Review By: Suic
Pros: This course has a varied and generally challenging layout and sadly is one of the best on the MS coast. I played during the Winter and so didn't have much if any trouble with overgrown brush. Have I played better courses? Absolutely; but for this course being as off the beaten path as it is and with such a small staff to keep things up; I was pleasantly surprised at the hole variety.
Cons: 1)Recent rain will turn a decent number of the holes into marshland
2)Most of the course punishes non-accurate throws by forcing the thrower to take a trip into thick underbrush(only during the summer)
Other Thoughts: I don't really feel that this deserves 4 stars, but I think the current overall average is much lower than this deserves. My real rating would be a 3.5 or 3.75 if that were possible.

Needs Attention

1    5/9/2009   5/11/2009
Review By: Matthew Gardner
Pros: This course has good baskets and hole 11 is pretty cool and thats about it as far as pros.
Cons: This course is way too grown up. Out of 18 holes there is maybe 2 or 3 with fairways over 2 feet. And if you dont throw at least 250 ft straight on most holes you may lose your disc. And even then you may lose it.
Other Thoughts: If you play this course take BUG SPRAY or you will be carried off by the bugs here!

Great Vaction course

1    4/3/2009   4/7/2009
Review By: gusc2375
Pros: This course was very clean. Baskets are in very good shape. The score card did have a map it helps but is not the greatest. I really liked the fairways most were tight blind shots but if you walk the hole or have spotters disc lose is minimal. Hole 8 has an island rough this feature is some thing I haven't see used before nice feature. I liked the rough it was thick and made you chose accuracy over power. Not all the holes were the same 3, 15 16 were much more open with little rough in play.
Cons: The course could use more trash cans. The tee pads were not all concrete. The Pad for 8 had big roots that could be a trip hazard. Hole 3, 5 cross a road be mindful when teeing off. Watch your disc full flight easy to lose disc in thick rough. The gap for 9 was very tight it could be a little wider and still be a hard shot.
Other Thoughts: I liked this course a lot. Hole 11 over the swamp was my favorite, I have thrown over water before but not like this. I walked each hole before I played them, really helped me to get a feel for the shot. A little better map on scorecard would help. also look for arrow head shaped signs pointing the way to the next hole. This I would like to see on some other courses. the $3.00 is nothing to pay for such a good course. I would like to play this course more but I was on Vacation in the Biloxi MS area .

For the adventurous type

1    3/6/2009   3/6/2009
Review By: Jager
Pros: Good layout. Good distance on most holes. The front nine were great diving in and out of the woods.
Cons: Back nine got a little deep. A lot of long narrow winding fairways with disc eating woods on each side. No maps, and almost every basket was not within view from the tee. Alot of exploring to navigate this course. Dirt tees with roots screwing up your throw.
Other Thoughts: Bug spray is a must on this wood course. If you get off the fairway you will be burried in thorn bushes. Hole 11 was a thrill. It plays over a mud swamp and into a wooded cove. Bridge is necessary to get from tee to basket. Scared the crap out of my partner. The holes can get quite adventurous as you go deep into the woods. Luckily there are enough holes out of the woods to make this an enjoyable course.

Welcome to the Jungle!

2-4    10/12/2008   10/20/2008
Review By: Ninja_Disc_Master
Pros: Beautiful scenery with nice baskets.
Cons: Too many "Blind" shots to count with a high probability of a wayward shot into the "Jungle". The provided scorecard map is ineffective and only some of the trails to next tee is marked appropriately.
Other Thoughts: Very challenging with a couple really cool holes. One of which was across a sizeable bayou swamp gap. If you're prepared to lose a disc at any given time I highly suggest this scenic course with a true natural feel.

Bush Wackers Needed!!!

2-4    10/19/2008   10/19/2008
Review By: ninja-don
This review was updated on 10/31/2008
Pros: Nice DISCatcher chains. Place was well maintained considering the nominal amount of people they have to take care of this park. Just try to stay on the trails. Trail are very nice, and scenic. Over all I really enjoyed this course.
Cons: Not all holes had concrete tee pads, 16 of the 18 holes are blind shots from the tee. You either have to play this course with someone who has been here before, or walk the hole before you throw. Most holes are narrow and if you put a disc of course (and you will) you will be "Bush Wacking" your way through some thick brush and tall grass, thorns, and other trees and growth to find your disc. Score card map is not that helpful. Posted pars on card are unrealistic.

(UPDATE)- I've heard horror stories about the bugs on this course, but the two times I've played I didn't have a problem. But the MS area is pretty bad for bugs in general, so bug spray is not a bad idea.
Other Thoughts: Strongly suggest bringing you brightest colored disc and use spotters at least half way up the "fairway" (most likely just a trail) to spot where your disc may be "when" you put one in the trees. Might be a good idea to wear pants too if weather permits... there are some sharp plants of the trails.

(UPDATE)- I just played this course for the 2nd time and it was an awesome experience... once you've played this course once the map becomes much easier to navigate. The holes don't seem so hard because you "should" have a better idea where the baskets are. I still strongly suggest having a spotter so you won't be looking trough the tree as much.
If you do throw one or twenty into the trees, Don't give up... you'll probably find it with some effort... especially if you have a spotter to kind of gauge where it landed in the first place.
I'm going to raise my initial rating of 2.5 up to a 3.5 because I feel my first review may have been a little harsh due to the challenging nature of this course compared to my beginner arm.
This is my favorite course now. I plan to play it at least one more time before I move in a month.
It cost $3.00 per car to get into the park, they will give you scorecard with the course map on the flip side if you ask, or it will be next to the mail box at the toll booth house looking thing. WELL WORTH THE MONEY!!!

1 2 Next >