Camden, SC

woodward

5+    12/24/2010   1/2/2011
Review By: discninja
This review was updated on 3/3/2011
Pros: has a small variety of open and close holes. and they have lately been keeping up with it a little more. and the hole near the bridge has been fixed.
Cons: some baskets are missing, it sometimes floods, and the signs are falling over.
Other Thoughts: good for intermediate, or beginners. not that hard of a course

Woodward Park: Rough and Rugged.

1    8/6/2010   8/12/2010
Review By: RussMB
Pros: -Very Challenging.
-Tight wooded fairways.
-One fairway has an island hole. (Which I enjoyed!)
-Tunnel shot on #17.
-Segregated from the rest of the park.
-Scorecards w/map in Mailbox
-Course is currently being renovated and redesigned to help with the navigation and overgrown brush problems
-Some directional signs pointing to the next basket.
-Good pin placement.
-Strategic drive placement. The second shot is a big factor here.
-Improvements are in progress here
Cons: -Navigation is probably the #1 issue at Woodward. Some tee's can be hard to locate. The new location of the 8 tee was hard to find.
-There is a lot of overgrown brush, which lends itself to the statement of "being precise".
-Some overlapping and crossing of fairways occurs.
-Map could use some landmarks to help in locating and navigating ones way throughout the course
-Bugs can be bad as well (I've been using Avon's "Skin So Soft" and it has worked great! Just an FYI)
-Keep in mind, as you go from #11 to #12 you have to cross, and walk towards the teebox of #7. Look both ways before crossing the fairway. Otherwise you could take a disc to the face. ...I'm just sayin!
Other Thoughts: Woodward Park is all about being accurate, and in some cases it's about being precise! You will find tight wooded fairways, that are narrow. Now, if you aren't a fan of the "Tight and Narrow" then this course may not be for you. However, if you like an accuracy challenge, and you enjoy playing in rugged elements then Woodward might be worth checking out. If it's possible, I highly recommend hooking up with a local. The navigation here is a challenge in it of itself. Just trying to locate the next tee can be a challenge. Holes #4 & #5 are lined with some seriously dense brush, so it would behoove one to stay to the left of the fairway! As I said in the first sentence "It's about being precise here!"

There is a cadre of people that are working to renovate the course. Remember, it's not an overnight process, but one that takes time. ...and $$$! If you can get past the navigation and brush issues, it's not that bad of a course. People are in the process of improving the navigation issues, as well as the brush issues. I would play here again. I wouldn't make a special trip, but if I was in the vicinity I would stop and take in another round. (Now that I know where I'm going! ;) )

I really enjoyed playing the wooded fairways and I really enjoyed the island hole. I also have to say that the tunnel shot on #17 was my favorite hole of the course. I enjoy the challenge of a tunnel shot, especially ones with a healthy Risk/reward. Just remember to keep this in mind: Woodward is a work in progress, and it's not finished yet. I'm not opposed to bumping my rating, as it improves. This course definitely has potential.

Needs some lovin'

1    6/15/2009   6/30/2009
Review By: Unkles27
This review was updated on 6/28/2010
Pros: **DISCLAIMER** I've been informed that this course has recently undergone significant changes, so many things mentioned in my review may no longer apply. This review was from June 2009

There are some fun shots on this course, I particularly like the first two and last two holes. The spread out the lines between lefties and righties fairly well and the fairways are generally fair. Island hole is an interesting idea. Tee signs were excellent when they could be found. The park was in good shape and well used, but the course never interfered or vice versa.
Cons: Dirt teepads, which often made it hard to determine where to actually tee from. Lack of signs on many helds led to some confusion and I wandered around a bit looking for the next tee, a couple times just guessing. The island hole, while a fun idea seemed a bit contrived. The course has some very wet and marshy areas. While there are some shots in the open a lot of the holes are tight in the woods, which could lead to some tree frustration.
Other Thoughts: I think with some help this would be a real nice course. Tee signs need to be replaced where missing and tee-pads are always a plus. Otherwise, despite throwing pretty crappy I thought that this was an enjoyable course, and worth the relatively short drive from Columbia.