Canton, GA

Under rated!

2-4    11/26/2011   11/26/2011
Review By: Chrisgeoguy
This review was updated on 5/31/2013
Pros: This is a great course. Not to long but great basket placement and trees in the right places to make you think twice.
Layout - Good variety with multiple basket positions. Mostly wooded. Great signage and the layout is well marked.
Tee pads are mixed some concrete and mats.
Maintained!!!!! The guys that maintain this course are always doing something. Once during the fall one guy brought a blower out to clear the fairway!
Holes 10 & 11 - These two are favorites. Shooting over valley with baskets same elevation as tee pad. Fun to launch it and watch them go. Baskets are well placed for these holes. 10 - is guarded by a tree and slightly to the left of the tee. 11 - is higher up and to the right.

13 - 18 Has to be the one place where I can turn a bad round back in to a positive. I know most people don't like these holes but they are great.
13 - Over the road into on coming traffic or down the trail. The first couple times you worry about it but you can see well enough that you shouldn't have an issue.
14 - Water to the right and the basket is down below tee box hidden. Great placement.
15 - My least favorite hole besides 6. Basket is to the.right with water possibly in play.
16 - Sweet hole now that the creek bank has been fixed. Basket is to left in the trees.
17 - Nice change in elevation. Basket is high and to right. Don't miss to the right!
18 - Throwing over the road again. No big deal.
Cons: Just erosion issues...but hopefully
it will improve with recent upgrades to park.
Hole 6 - when it is in the XL position. Makes for the longest hole in the course. (Just not my favorite.)
Other Thoughts: This course isn't going to be the hardest you play but is challenging. Holes 1-4 get you warmed up. 5 nice wide long straight shot. 7 & 8 are shorter but trees help make them challenging. 9 is a nice hole with a turn to the left.

I play this course a lot and it is fun. With the changing of baskets and the types of holes.

Great Day on the Course

1    10/18/2011   10/19/2011
Review By: wabrown23
Pros: -Restrooms located at #1 tee box which is also walk between 12 and 13.
-Several Benches and trash cans scattered throughout the course.
-Signs to next tee.
-Lots of parking
-Trails and Fairways were well kept.
-Holes 1-9, 12,14,15-18 (Not sure why everyone hates 17, great up hill anhyzer, fairway is open
Cons: -Hole signs, there are a few but not many and not in good shape, they also do not include all of the pin placements.
-A lot of blind pin locations, no flags or markings on holes to find pin from the tee. (1,2,4,6,8,9,12,14,15,16,17) It appeared that A positions were visible from the Tee but very few holes were in A position.
-Hole 13... Plays down a road. Really just poor design.
-Holes 6,10,11 all share a fairway
-Holes 3 to 4 and 6 to 7 you have to back track on the fairway to gt to the next tee box, this could cause back up on busy days.
Other Thoughts: I really enjoyed the course, a few locals were out and they were friendly. Course was clean and well kept, not the most challenging course but I would consider it a great intermediate course.

Course changed

5+    5/27/2011   5/27/2011
Review By: Dsplayname
Pros: The maintenance of the course is pretty good, as it has always been. The "signature holes" are still there, with #14 getting longer and better, new #15 is my favorite. Today, there was a little league game, so the concession stand was open for business. $2 for powerade, $3 for bratwurst. Cougars galore!
Cons: It feels like they shortened most of the course. The front nine are all short(as was the pin placements for them), and can all easily be birdies. Classic #17 is gone, which I miss. New #17 is like a nightmare from White Oak, and is too demoralizing for the end of the round. Oh yeah, there are next tee signs, but not really any proper maps or hole layouts at the tees.
Other Thoughts: For the most part, this has become too easy of a course for my taste. The entire front 9 can be played in 18 strokes, and the only challange is a few trees. There isn't much requirement for skills or luck until you get to 14. The game changes drastically from 1-13 being pretty easy, to 14-17 becoming a real difficulty. 18 is a nice solid par 3 to finish out felling good. If only they could add 100 more feet on to holes 1-9, I'd call it a much better course. I left this course feeling like I should have gone to Central Park in Cumming for more of a challenge.

5+    3/7/2010   3/7/2010
Review By: TylerD
Pros: Sequoyah park is a nice little pitch and putt course, with a couple of holes that give you the opportunity to open it up. The designers have done a nice job with the amount of land they had to work with. There are two things you have to do to score well out there, throw straight and get out of trouble. The shule can be punishing, but it is fair.

95% of the holes are valid. This is not a chuck and pray wooded course. The back six are fun.
Cons: The local barneys seem to have no understanding of the etiquette rules. Watch out for people throwing when you are still on a hole. Also, it's very easy to find groups of 5 or 6 that do not want to let you play through.

Hole nine's short left position
Hole ten's short left position
Other Thoughts: Do not listen to the barneys that have written reviews about the back six, for they are barneys. Chances are, if you can only throw 250 ft, you won't care too much for challenging holes with water, or holes that have other park activities located near them. We get it, you are scared.

This is a fun course and it can be rewarding. I would recommend playing it if you are in the area.

First Course I Ever Played...

1    10/17/2009   10/24/2009
Review By: JoshBoggs
Pros: I liked the course, in general. I always played around in the woods as a kid, so this was not out of the ordinary for me. The first 13 holes were very fun and technical. You can definitely hone your technical skills here if you play the course a lot.
Cons: As a beginner, the water on Holes 14 and 15 intimidated me. I don't want to go fishing for discs in the water. Didn't find the painted tee box on Hole 17 until we ran into another disc golfer... may need some fresh paint.
Other Thoughts: I'm a first timer, so take this review for what you will. I had a good enough time playing this course with my friend that I'm getting into the sport. I've gone out once and now have 8 discs for all different styles of throwing. This course may scare some away with the wooded landscape and the up and down terrain, but as a home course, I think it will suit me just fine and strengthen my game for courses that aren't wide open and lack some technical features.

A worthwhile stop

1    3/31/2009   8/10/2009
Review By: tmahan
Pros: Nice mix of uphill, downhill and sidehill holes in pretty pine forest. Some really nice tunnel shots demanding accuracy, particularly on the front. The drive on #10 across the valley to the guarded pin up the hill is a treat. Nice little pond shot on 14 (I think). #16 is a very challenging uphill/sidehill combo where par is a pretty good score. Nice tees.
Cons: I had a bit of difficulty finding the first tee, sign or two on the way in would help. There are a few pretty short holes on the front that aren't particularly challenging. #13, #17 and #18 play over the park road and around a ball field and give the impression some of the course was shoe-horned in.
Other Thoughts: There are a number of other activities in this park so I have an appreciation for what it must have taken to get a disc golf course included. I'm in the minority as I actually liked the last 6, particularly the infamous #16, though I can see where this might be a tricky walk when the course is wet. When you take into account this is a multi-use area the designers really did a nice job here. This course is worth playing if you're in the area.

A good time

1    7/26/2009   7/26/2009
Review By: billnchristy
Pros: Lots of elevation change. Some tight, but clear fairways. Mostly concrete pads and the signs that existed were nice. Hole 10 is spectacular, I could stand on that hill and throw my whole bag if I wasn't afraid of losing half of it by forgetting where they went. Not a whole lot of non-dg traffic in the park. The wooded holes have 100,200,300 foot lines painted on the trees. Very cool way to see how far you threw. We also realized that a clothespin tells you what pin position is used on some holes with signs.
Cons: Many signs missing. On 6 we actually both decided on a do-over because the pin was waaaay beyond what we thought possible (most have one alt, this one seemed to have 4). Bathrooms were locked, park seemed kind of deserted....but not creepy.
Other Thoughts: A challenging, but not frustrating course. We really liked 4a, 10, 11 and 7 and 12 gave us fits. We did only play the front 12 because most people say to avoid the rest and it was 95 degrees and we were dying.

We drove 31 miles to check out this course and were not disappointed.

Nice Hilly Georgia Pines Course!

1    7/3/2009   7/5/2009
Pros: The course, especially the first 12 holes are set up in a lovely, hilly Georgia pine forest with lots of elevation to contend with. The tee pads are mainly concrete and are big enough to provide a nice run-up. The course generally plays tight to very tight with accuracy being the key. This is a not a course for the beginner. Although the course is fairly complicated to navigate, the many next tee signs allowed me to find my way around fairly (?) easily. There are benches on most every hole. The baskets are in a great shape. I saw no signs of any vandalism anywhere and the course was litter free. Holes # 10 and # 11 are the twin signature holes. Both throw across a little valley finally giving you a chance to air it out.
Cons: I, too, felt that the course design kinda fell apart starting with # 13. Throwing into oncoming traffic on # 13 is a recipe for disaster. Then on # 17 you throw across the road and an errant throw on # 18 could hyser off into traffic. Another thing that I didn't particularly like about this course was the amount of uphill, blind throws. I like seeing the basket I'm throwing to. I know some uphill throws are to be expected on a hills course but I was surprised at how many there were here.
Other Thoughts: My congratulations to the locals who worked and obviously continue to maintain this course. You obviously take pride in it. I truly appreciate how well marked it is and the lack of vandalism that tends to detract from so many other courses we play.

Sequoya

1    4/9/2009   4/9/2009
Review By: StPaulie
Pros: Pretty park that is well maintained. Nice restrooms at the beginning with a bulletin with course info avaliable. There are benches and trash cans available on most holes. The course was very clean and the locals I encountered were all very friendly. Mostly wooded course that makes great use of the avaliable elevation changes on this property. Tee pads are a mixture of concrete and rubber, most holes had signs. I missed a few signs I don't know if they were missing or I just overlooked them. However I had no problems navagateing the course.
There is a nice mixture of shots required here and many holes had multiple baske postions available. Every hole had a decernable fairway most were are pretty tight but there. Good shots yeild birdy or even some ace possibilities but the potential of disc pinball with trees allways lurking. I have to agree with others holes #10 and #11 have to be the most visably awesome. Long toss across the same valley with enough distance required to satisfy those big arms out there. Plenty of fun for all to had on the first 12 holes.
Cons: Things start to fall apart some at #13, the hole runs right along the park road. This hole is fairly dangerous in my opinion. If the tee pad was moved down by the walking path the road would be taken out of play. I actually like this hole other than the road hazard, especially the basket placement on the side of a hill with deep water run off crags. The water in play on these back 6 holes looked pretty nasty. They look like they would be mosquito heaven in the summer. Once again on hole 17 you have to throw accross the road.
Other Thoughts: All in all this was a very fun park to play. While the last 6 were not quite up to the same level as the first 12, I would not let that stop me from comming back again, And hey you get to walk thru a tunnel to get from 14 to 15, how much fun is that?

Honest local

5+    2/11/2009   2/11/2009
Review By: Sea Bass
Pros: This is my home course,but honesty is the best policy...

-Woods holes are fair.Throw the correct shot and you will be rewarded, a bad shot will be punished.
-Lots of trash cans and benches.
-Good job using available land. Most of the course is right along property lines or other park activities, but you still get that isolated sort of feeling.
-Great support from locals.With almost no help from parks dept. the locals get the work done out here.Kudos.
-Teepads are concrete.There are 3 holes with rubber pads, but these holes are VERY short.Its really a non issue for those holes.
-Just plain fun. I have been playing here for 8 years now, and it still makes me smile.Some days I play great and shoot 7 or 8 down (54 par) Some days its 2 or 3 over. It rarely comes down to luck out here.Throw straight, putt well, and your score will reflect it.
Cons: -13 teepad is pointed at the wrong basket.Look down the jogging path for the basket. If its in the long you will see it, in the short it hides behind the pines.
-On 13 14 15 and 17 you have to throw over either a jogging trail or the park road.Most of the time its a non issue, but in the summer/fall the park can be busy on weekday evenings.You may have to wait for some walkers or cars to go by.
-Hillsides can be slippery, if it has rained recently, pay attention.
-In a perfect world this course would be longer, but just about every inch of available land is used here.
Other Thoughts: I noticed a few of the reviewers who did not like the "Back 6" ,as we call it, were players who have not been playing long. l can definitely see these holes frustrating a newer player, but they are not as tough as they seem.The ponds and schule can be harsh, but if you can control your disc for about 200'+ you will be fine. On 16, if you don't see the line right away, walk to the shorter pad and you will see that there is a clear line.From the concrete tee, throw something stable with a touch of anhyzer, and let it flex. This will help you avoid the schule on the right.

This is another 5 star in my heart course for me.I wont lie,there are flaws, but the pros really outweigh the cons here.The fun factor here is high, and thats generally the most important for me.

One more thing....The donkeys on 16 really love to do their HEE-AWW noise right as you throw. Then they give you a children of the corn kinda stare when you turn around.Creepy...