Canton, GA

Sequoyah Shakedown

1    6/30/2013   7/3/2013
Review By: Upshawt1979
This review was updated on 7/13/2013
Pros: Sequoyah Park in Canton, GA is a fun course in a nice park. The variety between short holes skirted by woods and long, open bombs give good contrast. Elevation changes often provide another nice element to the mix. The equipment is good, including concrete tee pads, good baskets, signs for all holes, as well as great, descriptive arrows pointing out paths connecting the holes. Not super difficult, but no pushover: it definitely got the best of me first time out. I think this course is underrated, and kind of want to give it a four, they have done a great job with what is there. A couple of really great shots, as well as a few birdie holes. One of those that I know I could play well, if I was a little more familiar with it.
Cons: There were other park users that strayed onto the course a couple of times, causing delays. Dogs must stay on a leash. Sort of a long walk between 17 and 18. There are really not a lot of negatives that come to mind.
Other Thoughts: Sequoyah Park is a really nice, intermediate to advanced level disc golf course. If you like elevation change, you will likely enjoy this course. The park is clean and in good condition. I would play it again, if I were in the neighborhood. Baseball games brought crowds the summer Sunday I visited, and the concession stand was open for business. Reminiscent of Deer Lick Park.

Love This Course!

5+    6/25/2011   6/27/2011
Review By: Rosswake
Pros: Great course if you enjoy the shade. Lots of wooded holes with an abundance of trees to keep you cool. The tight fairways reward you well when you hit your mark from the tee, but can punish you if you miss. Excellent changes have been made over the past month or two that have gotten rid of a bad hole and replaced it with a very cool hole that hugs a small pond. Right now, they are fixing the 16th hole so that 20 foot deep ditch and the nasty little pond has been filled in so the tee area isn't quite so scary.
Cons: Not a lot of people play this course, so it's not the best place to meet new disc golfers. This is my home course, so I hate to say that the players at this course aren't friendly but that is the 'feel' I get sometimes. So, just bring a friend with you if you don't like to play solo.
Other Thoughts: Lots of benches to relax and take a break after walking up and down the many hills at this course. Plenty of trash cans too, but it never hurts to bring your own and put your garbage in the cans close to the parking lot. There are a few holes that feel like easy birdies here, but if you don't play them smart you will end up with a bogey or worse. My rating will go up once the 16th hole is completed! Really close to a 4 right now!

One of the best in this area

1    8/12/2010   8/13/2010
Review By: MarkDanielle
Pros: Some real picturesque holes. ... A lot of hole variety, with some straightaway and others dogleg left or right. ... Well-groomed. ... Loved the 'next tee' signs. For the most part, we had no trouble locating the next tee box. ... The holes are just the right length. At one point I thought that maybe they were too short. But this course isn't just about length. ... The course requires you to perform a lot of different shots. I found myself having to be imaginative on a lot of the holes, which is one of the criteria I use when judging courses. Of course, that means that on this night I got to use some discs that normally gather dust. ... Just enough hills. Sometimes I feel as if there are simply too many hills. But this felt just right. ... A few of the holes had you throwing through the limbs of two trees, which I found pretty neat
Cons: Bring your own water because we never found a fountain. ... Hole 17 actually had you teeing off -- if you can believe this -- through a parking lot filled with cars and over a road. I convinced my two playing partners that this was silly and we simply skipped the hole. ... The inclines on one of the back-9 holes were too steep. Fetching a wayward drive on this hole means risking life and limb. ... Some of the tee boxes were missing hole maps. ... Some of the 'next tee' signs had fallen off their respective trees, leaving us to guess. .... For me, the only real way to get to No. 13 was by throwing over a busy road. My playing partners chose not to do this, opting instead for the long way around. But the hole really needs to be worked over because a disc golfer getting hit by a car isn't out of the question. ... A few of the holes were just too tight.
Other Thoughts: Would most likely be my home course if I lived in the area. A friend recommended I play it before leaving town, and he didn't disappoint. I return home in a few days but I sure hope I get the chance to play this course again. Aside from the lameness of Nos. 13 and 17, I really have no complaints.

Enjoyable

1    10/16/2009   10/17/2009
Review By: JBryant
This review was updated on 6/20/2012
Pros: First holes are a joy. Very easy to play and signs on most holes to help you out. Take a print out from this site of hole footage.
Cons: Hole 14 and 15 are a waste of time. I didn't even play them. I pay too much money for discs to be lost in the muddy swamp creek on those holes. 16 is fun and a hike but guys put on your big boy pants and stop complaining! It wasn't that bad of a hike. The swamp creek does play along the lower right of that hole though. Could pose a problem.
Other Thoughts: 17 and 18 do play into oncoming traffic. It wasn't too bad but it was also super early in the morning. I did not mind these holes at all.

Overall this was a good course not a very good course. 14 and 15 water issues could have very well put this course lower than what I rated it.

1    1/1/2009   8/10/2009
Review By: Ro1_
Pros: First 12 holes aren't good, they are great! I actually enjoy hole 13 too, but the woods to the left are awful place for a beginner to lose a disc, and tee pad is misleading.
-good signs, restrooms, course flow
Cons: Hole 13, 14,15,16 are the strangest holes. There are so many places to lose a disc, especially for a beginner, that they end up not being played very much.
I believe the signs end at hole 13?
Other Thoughts: Good course. Ninja turtles will enter your mind every time you walk from 14 to 15 :}

12 hole courses are fine

2-4    2/23/2009   2/23/2009
Review By: NDABRUSH
This review was updated on 3/4/2014
Pros: 2 signature holes. LOTS and LOTS of elevation, down and uphill. Hole 10 is breathtaking to me. You are throwing over a gorge or small valley. Nice scenery and plenty of trees. Great workout. First 12 holes are easy to navigate and fun to play. Friendly locals.
Cons: Most of the back 6. This isn't a long course but it has some nice elevation working against you on a few holes.
Other Thoughts: In my opinion this course should have been 12 holes. 13-18 are wastes of baskets. There is another Atl course that falls apart on the back 7, Wills park. Old park that has too much activity. Hopefully Sequoya never comes to that. After moving to Atlanta from Louisiana where there is little to no elevation, the front 12 at this course blew my mind. If you are used to high elevation heavily wooded courses, you might not be as impressed as I. It was my first course with elevated scenic shots so it will always hold a place in my heart. I miss Atlanta DG. If you are in area, East Roswell, Central and Rosewood Dekalb and white Oak are the most popular local courses that I am aware of, who knows there might be some new ones on the way.

great course overall

2-4    11/28/2008   12/12/2008
Review By: craigd
This review was updated on 5/5/2010
Pros: This is a very nice course in a very nice park. Besides being a fun course, it offers plenty of other ways to lure you back to play often.

I've never seen it overly crowded so waiting to tee off is not going to be an issue very often. You will find some other players out at peak times though. Everyone I have met on the course is very friendly. There is a good group of locals who take great pride in the course and will be sure to welcome you.

At the parking lot you'll find ample parking. There is a bulletin board with info, maps and score cards at the bathroom shack with water fountain near hole number one. While organized sports are in season you'll find a concession stand selling snacks and soft drinks.

The signs are pretty nice and I didn't have too much trouble finding my way around at all. The concrete pads are in great shape (a couple of tees are rubber). Hole number four has the possibility to flip flop the pin/hole placements. In other words you There are pin and pad placements that can be flipped flopped and don't effect the flow of the course negatively. It truly would make them two different holes altogether if you catch them in different placements. There are multiple pin placements on at some or most of the holes and some were in different places each time I've played. Six has some of the most challenging placements if you find them in the long position. On other holes there are ace opportunities even for less than average arms. There are a few longer holes and different degrees of variety mixed in, especially in the back six. Not too much repetitiveness when the course is looked at as a whole. There is a difficulty level good enough to keep a seasoned player challenged yet has the opportunity to keep a new player enjoying themselves by being frustrated or discouraged. Hole one is a nice uphill shot followed by a strait shot that tails off to left along a ridge. Both are decent holes then it's down a small hill to number three and in my opinion that's when the best of the course really starts. In my mind three-twelve are the heart of the course with plenty of variety in terms of mixed shots, minor doglegs, and some variations in lengths. Hole number four has the possibility to flip flop the pin/hole placements. In other words you would be throwing near where the pin ordinarily is to near where the hole normally is and vise versa. It truly would make them two different holes altogether if you catch them in different placements. These ten take you through a nice nature walk and it is quite pleasant and scenic. I believe hole number ten is the most fun of all. It is a nice shot across a gorge and is just beautiful. Number eleven is back across and uphill and you can really let her rip. Twelve is a tight shot across the ridge and thenů
Cons: This is where most consider the worst of the course to begin. You'll have to walk down a steep hill and across the parking lot to get to thirteen. Once there you'll notice the concrete tee pad points several degrees away from the pin on the other side of a walking path. Then pin is on the side of a hill that is terribly eroded (and muddy after a rain) but it is a pretty fun hole though. Number fourteen is ok but without the swamp that you have to throw over, it is a pretty basic hole. There is a little backtracking on this hole too. At this point, my least favorite part of the course begins. Number fifteen's pad is up on a mound which looks really cool but shoots over and along a pedestrian path with a punishing "cliff" to the left and the mire and mud to the right. I welcome risk and will gladly pay a penalty stroke for a bad shot but a laborious and irksome retrieval is an unnecessary gimmick. To be fair though, it is not that difficult to throw past the area. Additionally you might have to wait on walkers to pass before you can shoot. A longer than ideal walk to hole number sixteen brings you to the best of the "back six". It's a great and scenic wooded hole with some good elevation but the trouble it takes to get in and out of the area where it's located outweighs its reward. Then it's another longer walk to hole number seventeen. My first time there I had a hard time finding the tee pad; it is painted on the parking lot. It requires you to shoot across the parking lot and up to the top of the meadow on the side of a hill by the baseball field. Eighteen finishes up on a forgettable shot, slightly uphill and to the right. The park entrance road to the left (OB) will have you cautious throwing to avoid hitting incoming traffic. Another longer than practical walk back to the parking lot follows.
Other Thoughts: I hope the cons I pointed out don't scare you away. This really is a great course and the good far outweighs the bad. I do have a suggestion though. If you want to play all eighteen then start at thirteen and play from there. You will still finish your round at the parking lot near your car and assuming the back six isn't your favorite, you won't leave with a bad taste in your mouth.

Wooded courses lovers will be pleased. If longer open courses are you favorite then this may not be the course for you. For most folks, even with a decent drive you'll leave happy with an overall good course under your belt. Just know what to expect and enjoy.

Interesting mix

12/2/2007   12/27/2007
Review By: 12StonesScott
Pros: Lots of tight woods holes that reward accuracy and touch more than distance. Multiple pin positions allow for mixing things up for tournaments. A few more open holes have OB areas to keep things interesting. 10 and 11 are particularly nice -- comparatively open for this course, medium distance, elevation changes (down then back up), and just enough trees to keep things interesting
Cons: Most of the more difficult holes are tough but fair. Hole 16, on the other hand, is basically just brutally tough. Very close OB on the left, no real flight path through the trees uphill to the basket, and an extremely steep slope away from the basket down into a ravine on the right; basically you either get lucky or get screwed.
A few holes cross or play alongside roads/sidewalks that could be tricky when the park is busy.
Baskets seem particularly bad about spitting discs back out (I saw at least 8 nearly perfect putts, including two of my own, somehow manage to come back out during two tournament rounds).
Probably not enough long, open holes to satisfy guys with big arms.
Flow of holes sort of discontinuous on last part of back nine -- lots of distance between holes, navigation between not obvious, etc.
Other Thoughts: Restrooms near first tee locked Nov-Mar -- may be portajohns down near soccer fields.