Canton, GA

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5
Par for the course

1    7/11/2015   7/11/2015
Review By: Foyboy89
Pros: -Almost no traffic from other park activities
-good amount of "next tee" signage
-many of the holes had a good terrain features across a small valley or throwing off a steep drop off
Cons: -very few tee map signs. So while the tees were relatively easy to find the baskets were not (it didn't help that the baskets were grey metal color not brightly painted). Often I found myself having to walk down the fairway 50-200 feet to find the Basket and once on hole 12 I played the wrong basket the first time
-everything is a par 3...... boring (I only give 4.0 rating to par 56+ and 5.0 to par 62+)
Other Thoughts: not a bad course but not worth the drive for me. (especially with wills park and East Roswell park less than 15 min from my house) If the hole map signs were all there and it had a few par 4s and one par 5 it could be a great course there were lots of really fun terrain features and hole concepts. and the layout made a lot of sense except one or two holes

Gotta Play Here

1    3/1/2015   4/17/2015
Review By: GSquare44
Pros: Multiple Pin Placements, Technical Holes, Bathrooms at Hole #1 and on walk to #13. All kinds of shots will be required to get under Par. Most holes have concrete which was noted above.
Cons: Old tee signs, Couple Long Walks between Holes
Other Thoughts: I enjoyed this course a lot. The local guys are doing a great job keeping it up and hosting weeklys here. I am looking forward to new tee signs.

Gets the job done.

2-4    4/1/2015   4/2/2015
Review By: threedaysmore
Pros: -It's pretty for a wooded course
-Good distance variety on a lot of holes
-Baskets are the same the whole way through
-Paths are clear
-Many basket placements on most holes
-Decent shot variety
-Really fun tunnel shot on hole 5
-You go by the pavilion where you parked after 12 holes (wife always uses the restroom here)
-Safe environment
-Plenty of benches and trashcans at the park, great park to bring a dog to
-Most of the locals are pretty fun and relaxed about what's going on
Cons: -Really poor navigation. There are signs that point to the next pad, but they're nailed to trees and often times aren't pointing the right direction due to gravity or people messing with them.
-Poor signage on holes. Some holes actually have a sign with the hole layout on it, but a lot of times it's no longer accurate or doesn't depict the hole location that is actually being played. Holes with out signs have a piece of plastic with the hole number on it, on some of these people have tried to draw out the layout of the hole with a sharpie. Good idea maybe, but practically it's hard to tell what the drawings are actually showing since most of them are very faded.
-Very strange layout. 6,10, and 11(I pretty sure it's those 3, if not it's 3 holes on the front 9) all share the same little pocket of open space. I understand trying to make the most out of the open space in a wooded area, but I personally think that this is a little much. Every time I've played here (4 or 5 times) I've almost been hit with a disc while putting out on 6 or playing my second on 11(11's drive almost throws over one of 6's baskets). Not a huge deal, but it's just kinda weird and really cramped feeling.
-Not an organic flow through the holes. 1-15 are all fairly close to the parking lot, however 16-18 pretty much all take you directly away from the parking lot and you end up with a 1/3 or 1/2 mile walk back to the parking lot. I most certainly don't mind the exercise but it does kind of make me wonder why on Earth it was designed like this?
-On the topic of design and layout, there are entirely too many blind holes on this course. Depending on the basket placements well over half the course is a blind tee shot. I get that that's a neat shot and all, but to see it used so many times on a course it just gets a little boring and frustrating.
-13 plays down a road with a big curve in it (thrower and driver are blind to what's around the corner). It's the road that comes into the park so it's fairly well trafficked. I've almost been hit in my car and hit cars while throwing a couple of times, just kind of stupid if you ask me.
-15 plays down a walking trail that people have been using every time I've played, not a huge deal but definitely a bit of a safety concern.
-The way that 4A/4B plays is really weird if you've never been there before.
Other Thoughts: Sequoyah is a very acceptable park. There are some really nice things about this course, but at the same time some really werid/stupid things that keep me from going back frequently. I gave more detail on the cons because I think cons without explanations are worthless, I hope people don't see that as me totally trashing the course because it is a decent course. I've played with friends not from the area or my wife all the times I've played it and sometimes just kind of feel lost out there. I imagine playing this course with a local could make it a fair amount better, but I can only rate it through the experiences I've had with it.

It's a good park, but it's hard to convince myself to go here with Oregon Park fairly close and Frog Rock nearing completion of its back 9.

The Saq!

5+    7/31/2014   8/4/2014
Review By: iLessThan3DiscGolf
Pros: ~Mostly concrete pads, with a couple high-density rubber mats
~Tight & technical course. Definitely "Shot Golf"
~Mixed variety of shots will test most of the discs in your bag
~Couple chances to bomb a driver
~Holes are long enough to be tough, but short enough to be fair
~Some short, ace-worthy holes
~Fairways are kept clean and clear
~Most holes have multiple pin positions, and positions are updated throughout busy season
~Local club & county maintains the course
~Great walk through the woods
Cons: ~Older Mach 1(or 2?) baskets do frequently spit out discs
~Murky retention pond in play that will eat your discs (Holes 14,15,16)
~Walking path sometimes in play
~Road in play, but only one hole and generally not a hazard
~Hole 17; one of the less-enjoyable holes ever created
~Park is getting busier every year. Baseball and fall-football tends to fill the parking lots most days
~Can be a bit tricky to navigate; the signs are dated and some are missing
Other Thoughts: Sequoya is a course that will test your game, and your patience. If you are willing to fight through some tight fairways and ill-placed trees, par will be your reward. Hit a few too many trees and you're looking at a long round.

The "shot-golf" style course will test your woods-game, and if played often will sharpen your skills into a better golfer. Sequoya has been my local course over the past few years, and she still reaches out and slaps me in the face quite often. There are a few unfortunate aspects of Sequoya that we could live without, but those things are what make Sequoya what she is. You know what to expect when you play Sequoya; a real challenge!

During baseball season weekends, the concession stand is open and will sometimes even stock Chik-fil-a sammiches, but don't expect it every weekend.

If you are a fan of the tight & technical aspect of disc golf, I highly recommend Sequoya!

*She recently received a bit of a haircut, so if you haven't been here since June, take a look.

Mixed Bag

1    3/2/2014   3/3/2014
Review By: Moose33
Pros: This course has great potential, some very nice technical wooded holes and obstacles. Significant elevation changes throughout and the baskets are pretty good.

Concrete tee pads on almost every hole with a few grippy rubber mats mixed in.

It's a pretty course and a decent hike as well.

Also if you are there during baseball games there is a conssesion stand with water and power aide.
Cons: It's a very busy multi use park and there are serial times where you have to throw across the jogging path and a few where the road comes into play. I didn't like the fact that an on target throw could often hit a runner.

The layout is okay if you have the map, you will want to download the map, but can be a little confusing. There are several spots where you can see 2 or 3 baskets from the tee and if you don't have the map you won't know which one to throw to.

Also 13/14/15 throw over a murky retention pond. If you throw one in there it's done you won't be able to see it at all.

Actually several easy spots to loose discs, I won't bring my A bag if I play there again.

It's also a little hard to find tee 1.
Other Thoughts: I like the course but the many spot where it is hard to navigate and intersect the jogging path detract greatly.

If your working on refining you short game it's great but overall other local courses are easier to enjoy.

Sequoyah Park Canton

5+    7/13/2013   7/16/2013
Review By: D Slanger
Pros: Nobody is ever playing the course. Decent for learning some specific shots.
Cons: Super tight lanes, very unforgiving, some of the holes look like they were after thoughts and just thrown together. Strictly shot golf, no open drives.

Sequoyah Shakedown

1    6/30/2013   7/3/2013
Review By: Upshawt1979
This review was updated on 7/13/2013
Pros: Sequoyah Park in Canton, GA is a fun course in a nice park. The variety between short holes skirted by woods and long, open bombs give good contrast. Elevation changes often provide another nice element to the mix. The equipment is good, including concrete tee pads, good baskets, signs for all holes, as well as great, descriptive arrows pointing out paths connecting the holes. Not super difficult, but no pushover: it definitely got the best of me first time out. I think this course is underrated, and kind of want to give it a four, they have done a great job with what is there. A couple of really great shots, as well as a few birdie holes. One of those that I know I could play well, if I was a little more familiar with it.
Cons: There were other park users that strayed onto the course a couple of times, causing delays. Dogs must stay on a leash. Sort of a long walk between 17 and 18. There are really not a lot of negatives that come to mind.
Other Thoughts: Sequoyah Park is a really nice, intermediate to advanced level disc golf course. If you like elevation change, you will likely enjoy this course. The park is clean and in good condition. I would play it again, if I were in the neighborhood. Baseball games brought crowds the summer Sunday I visited, and the concession stand was open for business. Reminiscent of Deer Lick Park.

Great Course

5+    12/12/2012   2/21/2013
Review By: DG_Printer
Pros: Great course. The course is empty most of the time. Friendly golfers. Course located inside a park for the most part you do not overlap with pedestrians. Great elevation holes. Good mix of open and wooded holes.

Cons: Not to many negative things to say about this course. The baskets/chains are not the greatest. On occasion a putt will slip through the chains and miss. Some of the hills are very steep which makes for some very fun shots. However, once you are finish the 18th hole it is unlikely you will want to play much more cause you will be tired
Other Thoughts: I love this course because it helped me develop my game, especially in terms of elevation. Whenever I go there is usually no one or very few golfers. It almost feels like I have the whole course to myself when I am their. Very relaxing course

Under rated!

2-4    11/26/2011   11/26/2011
Review By: Chrisgeoguy
This review was updated on 5/31/2013
Pros: This is a great course. Not to long but great basket placement and trees in the right places to make you think twice.
Layout - Good variety with multiple basket positions. Mostly wooded. Great signage and the layout is well marked.
Tee pads are mixed some concrete and mats.
Maintained!!!!! The guys that maintain this course are always doing something. Once during the fall one guy brought a blower out to clear the fairway!
Holes 10 & 11 - These two are favorites. Shooting over valley with baskets same elevation as tee pad. Fun to launch it and watch them go. Baskets are well placed for these holes. 10 - is guarded by a tree and slightly to the left of the tee. 11 - is higher up and to the right.

13 - 18 Has to be the one place where I can turn a bad round back in to a positive. I know most people don't like these holes but they are great.
13 - Over the road into on coming traffic or down the trail. The first couple times you worry about it but you can see well enough that you shouldn't have an issue.
14 - Water to the right and the basket is down below tee box hidden. Great placement.
15 - My least favorite hole besides 6. Basket is to the.right with water possibly in play.
16 - Sweet hole now that the creek bank has been fixed. Basket is to left in the trees.
17 - Nice change in elevation. Basket is high and to right. Don't miss to the right!
18 - Throwing over the road again. No big deal.
Cons: Just erosion issues...but hopefully
it will improve with recent upgrades to park.
Hole 6 - when it is in the XL position. Makes for the longest hole in the course. (Just not my favorite.)
Other Thoughts: This course isn't going to be the hardest you play but is challenging. Holes 1-4 get you warmed up. 5 nice wide long straight shot. 7 & 8 are shorter but trees help make them challenging. 9 is a nice hole with a turn to the left.

I play this course a lot and it is fun. With the changing of baskets and the types of holes.

Great Day on the Course

1    10/18/2011   10/19/2011
Review By: wabrown23
Pros: -Restrooms located at #1 tee box which is also walk between 12 and 13.
-Several Benches and trash cans scattered throughout the course.
-Signs to next tee.
-Lots of parking
-Trails and Fairways were well kept.
-Holes 1-9, 12,14,15-18 (Not sure why everyone hates 17, great up hill anhyzer, fairway is open
Cons: -Hole signs, there are a few but not many and not in good shape, they also do not include all of the pin placements.
-A lot of blind pin locations, no flags or markings on holes to find pin from the tee. (1,2,4,6,8,9,12,14,15,16,17) It appeared that A positions were visible from the Tee but very few holes were in A position.
-Hole 13... Plays down a road. Really just poor design.
-Holes 6,10,11 all share a fairway
-Holes 3 to 4 and 6 to 7 you have to back track on the fairway to gt to the next tee box, this could cause back up on busy days.
Other Thoughts: I really enjoyed the course, a few locals were out and they were friendly. Course was clean and well kept, not the most challenging course but I would consider it a great intermediate course.

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5