Canton, GA

Something for everyone

5+    2/11/2011   2/12/2011
Review By: Jeffrey2636
This review was updated on 8/25/2011
Pros: Some very unique holes that you will remember.
A variety of shots are required.
Some holes are a true test of accuracy while other holes allow for airing it out.
Cons: Some holes are filled with trouble.
Some treacherous terrain #17.
Other Thoughts: *The holes have changed(for the better) compared to the pictures in this review.
* New #15, Original #15 becomes #16, original #16 becomes #17, original #17 has been removed(yea!) original #18 remains.

This is my home course due to its convenient location and where I was introduced to Disc Golf. I look forward to it everytime. There are many unique holes that you will remember and look forward to playing. Fairway size it mostly reasonable, some are pretty tight and require accurate placement but there are a few holes(#10,11,15,&18) that allow you to air it out.
**New Hole #15 is a great addition which removed original #17 (the parking lot tee pad across entrance road). They extended #14 which still has the disc eating sludge pond over the hill and #15 plays from the back of that hole across a steep gorge back near #14 tee pad. This is a really nice addition to the course.
#16 has now been reworked and the steep gorge on the left has been properly filled in and the pond on the right has been drained. This hole is now far less scary with those two changes. #17 is difficult uphill shot. The terrain can be very difficult as it is a straight upward climb. Leaves can make it a slippery hike. Also many opportunities for your disc to roll down the right bank into the stream.(The water is not the problem but rather the steep grade retrieving your disc) so play the hole to the left as it is an easier walk and better approach. Hole 18 if you can keep it off the road is a great ending allowing for the release of letting it rip off the tee.

This course has introduced me to a variety of shots and since playing other courses around the area, I found that I was ready for anything from learning here. I still look forward to coming back to Sequoyah Park.
Hats off to the gentlemen who keep this course maintained. They do a great job and the course just keeps getting better. Even after 9 months of consistently playing this course it still challenges me every time.

Sequoyah Review

5+    2/5/2011   2/7/2011
Review By: Crupie
Pros: Great woods course with many birdie opportunities. Disccatcher baskets and concrete pads with good signs and directions to next hole.
Requires good forehand and a decent backhand
Cons: Not all of the holes have concrete pads and could use some more mulch for when it gets muddy. Some holes such as 1 and 4 are not as good when the move the pin positions
Other Thoughts: Fun course for beginners because of all the birdie opportunities and short distance holes. Beautiful during the spring time

One of the best in this area

1    8/12/2010   8/13/2010
Review By: MarkDanielle
Pros: Some real picturesque holes. ... A lot of hole variety, with some straightaway and others dogleg left or right. ... Well-groomed. ... Loved the 'next tee' signs. For the most part, we had no trouble locating the next tee box. ... The holes are just the right length. At one point I thought that maybe they were too short. But this course isn't just about length. ... The course requires you to perform a lot of different shots. I found myself having to be imaginative on a lot of the holes, which is one of the criteria I use when judging courses. Of course, that means that on this night I got to use some discs that normally gather dust. ... Just enough hills. Sometimes I feel as if there are simply too many hills. But this felt just right. ... A few of the holes had you throwing through the limbs of two trees, which I found pretty neat
Cons: Bring your own water because we never found a fountain. ... Hole 17 actually had you teeing off -- if you can believe this -- through a parking lot filled with cars and over a road. I convinced my two playing partners that this was silly and we simply skipped the hole. ... The inclines on one of the back-9 holes were too steep. Fetching a wayward drive on this hole means risking life and limb. ... Some of the tee boxes were missing hole maps. ... Some of the 'next tee' signs had fallen off their respective trees, leaving us to guess. .... For me, the only real way to get to No. 13 was by throwing over a busy road. My playing partners chose not to do this, opting instead for the long way around. But the hole really needs to be worked over because a disc golfer getting hit by a car isn't out of the question. ... A few of the holes were just too tight.
Other Thoughts: Would most likely be my home course if I lived in the area. A friend recommended I play it before leaving town, and he didn't disappoint. I return home in a few days but I sure hope I get the chance to play this course again. Aside from the lameness of Nos. 13 and 17, I really have no complaints.

12 holes good, 6 holes bad

1    4/3/2010   4/3/2010
Review By: 3OrangeWhips
Pros: First 12 holes.
Cons: Last 6 holes.
Other Thoughts: My rating for this course is a one disc/poor primarily due to the last six holes. The first 12 holes are a really fun pitch & putt. Tightly wooded but very fair--there are actual paths to the basket and not just random openings through scattered trees. I used a good variety of discs & shots here. The two long holes (10 & 11) combine distance and accuracy. The features of the "Front 12" include:

Concrete tee pads on all holes
Easy to follow flow (despite the absence of signs on many holes)
Risky shots are rewarded if executed correctly
No benches, although many tee pads had plastic lawn chairs; a unique touch
Alternate basket positions on just about every hole
Great for family play & beginners, but advanced players will be challenged by the tightness and twistyness of the fairways

After the first 12 holes, you emerge back in the parking lot where you started. Here, there is a snack bar (open during baseball games) and restroom facilities. While enjoying some cold drinks, we bumped into a couple of players that were going to replay the first 12 holes. When we told them we were continuing on to #13, they were surprised and told us "Good luck" with a grin. We very quickly found out why.

Hole #13: When you get to the tee box and see the hole placement, you will actually ask "Are you kidding me?" out loud. You have to throw a long shot that turns left, but you are actually throwing right down the middle of the busy park entrance road. The hole is around to the left and the road goes down and out of view to the right, so there is no way to determine if there is any oncoming traffic. There are tall trees to the left and right of the road and the road itself is out of bounds--I am NOT making this up. You have to throw right down the middle of the road and have your disc follow it down and around to the left then keep curving to the left after the road turns right to get to the basket. The basket itself is on a steep embankment that is all Georgia clay and has experienced so much erosion, it is surprising the basket is still standing. The area around the basket looks like moon craters. I went into so much detail because this is actually the best of the final six holes--it just keeps getting stranger.

Hole #14: The fairway is actually the trail that you had to walk up to get from #13 to the #14 tee pad. You are walking up the trail while golfers teeing off on #14 are throwing down the trail. You have to throw across a nasty pond and back into the woods. Beyond the basket is about a 20 foot sharp drop-off to the same nasty pond--don't overthrow.

Hole #15: Unplayable by all but the most adventurous players. You are throwing down a 20 foot wide trail about 300 feet to the basket. For the first 250 feet, throws to the right get another nasty pond and anything to the left gets a sheer 20 foot drop-off to a creek with water that has both color and smell that water should not have. Anything not down the middle is almost a sure goner. You have three choices: be really good, be really lucky, or throw a series of 25 foot flop shots. I skipped this hole.

Hole #16: About 300 feet up a steep hill through the woods following a winding footpath. 20 feet to the left of the footpath is a barbed wire fence; immediately to the right of the path is the 20 foot sheer drop-off to Stinky Creek. For added fun, the barbed wire fence takes a sharp right turn and runs about 20 feet behind the basket as well. Hole skipped for the same reasons as #15.

Hole #17: The tee pad is painted in the parking lot of a soccer field. You have to throw across the parking lot, across the busy entrance road (which is about 10-15 feet higher than the parking lot) towards the basket which is on a steep embankment that rises up to the outfield wall of a baseball field. There are trees all around the entrance road, but you only have about a 20 foot wide alley to go through. I would have actually played this hole except most shots will zip across the road at windshield level and it is not possible to see traffic coming down the road until it is too late.

Hole #18: Playable, but the tee pad is right alongside the very busy entrance road (don't let an arm or leg wander off the left side of the tee pad). The fairway is the narrow right shoulder of the road. The road itself is out of bounds, but the traffic is so heavy you don't want to wander over there anyway. The top of the basket is barely visible over a hill; be advised that overthrowing the basket could put you on the busy road that the park is located on.

While I thought #18 was the most normal hole of the "Back Six", there was one more surprise in store for us. Following the trail from the #18 basket back to the parking lot, after a lengthy walk we were surprised to find the trail evolves into the fairway for hole #1 and we were walking right towards a threesome about to throw right at us as we were coming down. Fortunately they saw us and we did not have to deal with any unplanned plastic surgery.

I really don't like being so negative about these last six holes (especially considering the enjoyment of the first 12), but they are just so darn bizarre I feel they have earned it. In fact, I highly recommend playing this course at least once if you have the opportunity. Even if you decide not to come back, the entertainment value of those last six holes makes the trip worthwhile.

5+    3/7/2010   3/7/2010
Review By: TylerD
Pros: Sequoyah park is a nice little pitch and putt course, with a couple of holes that give you the opportunity to open it up. The designers have done a nice job with the amount of land they had to work with. There are two things you have to do to score well out there, throw straight and get out of trouble. The shule can be punishing, but it is fair.

95% of the holes are valid. This is not a chuck and pray wooded course. The back six are fun.
Cons: The local barneys seem to have no understanding of the etiquette rules. Watch out for people throwing when you are still on a hole. Also, it's very easy to find groups of 5 or 6 that do not want to let you play through.

Hole nine's short left position
Hole ten's short left position
Other Thoughts: Do not listen to the barneys that have written reviews about the back six, for they are barneys. Chances are, if you can only throw 250 ft, you won't care too much for challenging holes with water, or holes that have other park activities located near them. We get it, you are scared.

This is a fun course and it can be rewarding. I would recommend playing it if you are in the area.

A Tale of 2 Courses

1    2/18/2010   2/19/2010
Review By: sloppydisc
Pros: Clean course in a nice park setting. Port-a-potties on site and benches and garbage cans all around the course. As I was playing the beginning of the course I was thinking what a nice little wooded course it is. Good tee pads and signs everyewhere. A typical wooded course with ups, downs and doglegs. #10 is a neat hole. Throw out of the woods and down into a little valley. Then up another hill into some sparse woods around the basket. #11 goes back down the hill into and up again to another wooded area around the basket. Nice holes on a tight wooded course. #12 is a tight tunnel shot, but has a hill to the left to add some risk. Then you need to cross the parking lot to get to #13. And that is where things go very wrong...
Cons: #13 is simply one of the worst holes I have played. It is in the grass between a walking path and the road into the park. Your choices are to throw over the road, where cars would come around a blind corner, or throw over the walkway straight at the basket. No choice choice at all if the park is busy. Then the small slope that the basket sits on is eroding terribly. Just a bad situation. #14 plays down a small hill and near a small pond. OK hole, but you must walk back through the fairway to get to the tunnel to #15. Then #15's fairway is once again the walking path. With an OB creek on the left and some water to the left. Just another bad hole. #17 is a tee pad painted on the parking lot. You must throw over the lot and the roadway once again. The basket is up on a hill about 30' from the baseball field fence. Not a great hole either. After a long walk to #18 you finally get to escape this ugly end of the course.
Other Thoughts: The one really pleasant surprise to this course is #16. It's a very good hole. Down a small hill, over a creek, and back up a large hill to the basket while bending to the right the whole way. If you get a disc on edge to the right you could roll a long way down the hill to the creek. It is a hole you would expect to see at someplace like Richmond Hill in Asheville, NC. Almost makes playing the last 7 holes of this course worthwhile. Almost. This isn't a terrible course due to the decent wooded front 12. Some of the holes are very short, but they play OK. #16 is a real nice hole. I almost wish they would have just built a great 9 hole course instead of an extrememly inconsistent 18 holer. A decent course to play if you are nearby, but not worth a huge effort to get to.

First Course I Ever Played...

1    10/17/2009   10/24/2009
Review By: JoshBoggs
Pros: I liked the course, in general. I always played around in the woods as a kid, so this was not out of the ordinary for me. The first 13 holes were very fun and technical. You can definitely hone your technical skills here if you play the course a lot.
Cons: As a beginner, the water on Holes 14 and 15 intimidated me. I don't want to go fishing for discs in the water. Didn't find the painted tee box on Hole 17 until we ran into another disc golfer... may need some fresh paint.
Other Thoughts: I'm a first timer, so take this review for what you will. I had a good enough time playing this course with my friend that I'm getting into the sport. I've gone out once and now have 8 discs for all different styles of throwing. This course may scare some away with the wooded landscape and the up and down terrain, but as a home course, I think it will suit me just fine and strengthen my game for courses that aren't wide open and lack some technical features.

Enjoyable

1    10/16/2009   10/17/2009
Review By: JBryant
This review was updated on 6/20/2012
Pros: First holes are a joy. Very easy to play and signs on most holes to help you out. Take a print out from this site of hole footage.
Cons: Hole 14 and 15 are a waste of time. I didn't even play them. I pay too much money for discs to be lost in the muddy swamp creek on those holes. 16 is fun and a hike but guys put on your big boy pants and stop complaining! It wasn't that bad of a hike. The swamp creek does play along the lower right of that hole though. Could pose a problem.
Other Thoughts: 17 and 18 do play into oncoming traffic. It wasn't too bad but it was also super early in the morning. I did not mind these holes at all.

Overall this was a good course not a very good course. 14 and 15 water issues could have very well put this course lower than what I rated it.

I hope you like spiders

1    9/12/2009   10/8/2009
Review By: Psalman
This review was updated on 10/13/2009
Pros: This course requires a lot of different types of throws. It really challenges your throwing ability. There are some spectacular elevation changes. Don't be surprised if you unload your entire bag on a few of the holes just for fun.
Cons: I walked through about 40 spider webs in one round. At times I could feel things crawling on me. About a third of the holes could really use some improvement.
Other Thoughts: The amount of trees are good for an experienced player, but an newbie will become frustrated quickly. Because the course is so hilly, you get a lot of excercise which is good, but it may be too much for small kids to follow along.

2-4    8/6/2009   8/13/2009
Review By: dmerk
Pros: It's a very wooded course, but not too much. The first twelve holes are just superb. Every hole is a challenge but great. Just so well thought out and placed. Its very diverse. some holes are well over 300 and then some are well under 200, but just as hard. Some of the most fun I've had. Just a great first 12 holes. Oh, and hole 14.
Cons: I get annoyed with all the hiking you have to do after the first 12 holes. It gets tiresome. Be prepared to climb (hole 16). The first twelve holes are fun but the last 6 are just kind of a blur. Nothing too exciting about them
Other Thoughts: There are a lot of places to lose a disc. keep that in mind.