Layout Extinct

3 / 318ft.   3 / -- Par / Distance:

A one time classic

1    10/25/2009   12/20/2009
Review By: tmahan
Pros: Course is situated in a nice but crowded neighborhood close to just about every convenience imaginable. The first three holes play around the parking lot and aren't too exciting. At about #4 the course turns into the woods and that's where it gets going, I really like this stretch of wooded holes through #11, it's also the most secluded part of the course. From there you take a completely non-intuitive turn and walk around some ball fields in the general direction of the parking lot. The last seven are shoe-horned in between a decent sized creek and a few buildings and courts. Some of these are actually pretty good challenges but are intimidating the first time you play them due to their proximity to other park patrons.
Cons: I played on a Sunday afternoon which I'm sure the locals would say is the absolute worse time. You have to keep a constant eye out for walkers, bikers, joggers, etc. The worst part of the day for me was my approach on #16. I was on an embankment next to a couple ball fields along the left side of the fairway. After waiting patiently for a number of strollers it looked all clear and I launched my shot only to see a toddler on a tricycle pop out from the far side of the embankment, fortunately my shot landed far away from him. I suggest a spotter for this one.

I hooked up with a couple guys that had played here before on #4 or I never would have found my way. There are maps available on the course info here on this site, I strongly suggest you print one if you're playing without a guide.

If you're playing in autumn when the leaves are falling you'll really want to avoid the creek around the last few holes. It's surprisingly deep and when it's covered with leaves it's very difficult the find your disc.

Other Thoughts: This is a venerable old course that appears to be almost overrun by suburban sprawl. It's obvious that the course has been modified from it's original design, probably more than once. I imagine the athletic fields that you hike across on the walk from 11 to 12 were not part of the original course. I'm guessing the the same may be true about the tennis court and pavillion in the middle of the back nine.

The course is located in the west end of a good sized recreation complex, if you're coming from Route 400 as I was you won't want to turn (left) until you get to the light that is almost completely past the park, If you turn in earlier you can spend a while driving around and not find it. It's tempting to say they should give up on this course and try to trade it for favor in getting a new one, but if this were my 20 y/o course in my neighborhood I would probably press the fight to keep it too. If you can get here in the morning or some other off time and have a map or a guide it's worth stopping in for a round,

C+ = As average as the come

5+    9/18/1995   4/18/2009
Pros: What I personally like and how this course stacks up:
1) Holes with good risk/reward -- B
2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities -- B
3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography -- B
4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion -- C

FORE!!!

1    1/24/2009   1/24/2009
Review By: BLANTON
Pros: The course is set in a beautiful park with much of the course winding in and out of the woods. The walk is enjoyable and the creeks running through the park add to the setting. This course presented more technical challenges than the other 2 courses I've played. Bring your short game and a lot of patience. As others have said, it might be worth a try if you're in the area. Though I probably wouldn't go out of my way to play here again.
Cons: To start, I played on a Saturday. If you play this course, try a weekday. The park was really crowded with joggers, walkers, dogs, baseball teams, horses, etc.

I had a difficult time finding the tee box for hole #1. I saw the pin, but never found the tee box. So I started with hole #2. I almost hit a horse on hole #3, so I just decided to start playing at hole #5 and go from there (Equestrian Center was packed too). The course flows pretty well from there.

Pack a lunch for the walk from #11 to #12. Good Luck on hole #12.

The condition of the course was tolerable. Tee boxes are fairly well marked, but there are no tee pads to speak of. Some of the baskets are showing age, but at least they're all there.

Pedestrian traffic would probably be the only thing that really annoyed me. The layout of the course puts pedestrians in danger at times. I haven't hit anybody with a disc yet, but it wouldn't surprise me if that happened here.

Other Thoughts: This was my first trip to Wills Park. I'm fairly new to disc golf, and I have enjoyed playing at some of the parks around the metro area. But in my opinion, this course was a little disappointing.

The walk through the park is very nice, but this course would be best experienced on a weekday when traffic is minimal.

Crowded...

5+    12/23/2008   12/26/2008
Review By: ecohippie
Pros: Worth playing at least once. Most holes offer a new and unique challenge, forcing you to use a variety of shots to get around. Hole lengths are reasonable and the baskets are in decent condition.
Cons: First off, the park is way to crowded and presents somewhat of a danger to other park users due to the paved trails that meander in and out of the fairways. Some holes even have benches in the areas of drives.

The tee pads are absolute crap (uneven dirt, roots, and some gravel).

Hole 12 has no preferred fairway, so enjoy the wall of trees guarding any sort of fairway/landing area. The only open area is above the creek that runs parallel with the hole.

Hole 13 forces you to throw over tennis courts. The landing area is all concrete so if you have a favorite disc that you don't want scratched, then be advised to relocate your tee off position (the corner of the tennis courts).
Other Thoughts: This course is worth at least one play if you are in the area. It does offer a good deal of challenges.

One other warning, lots of people like to walk their dogs through holes 8, 10 and 11. So watch out for dog crap!

you got to play it once

2-4    9/14/2008   11/20/2008
Review By: 3monsterboys
Pros: nice park. the holes are pretty cool. if you are in the area you might as well play.
Cons: course is kinda dangerous. people on the walking path you could possibly hit. have to be careful near the tennis courts.long walk from hole 11 to 12.
Other Thoughts: like the title if you are near by you need to at least play it once. durring the week you should be o.k.(not many people) weekends hope your game is ON!

Worth playing if you're close by

5+    9/18/2008   9/18/2008
Review By: Lewis
Pros: This course has a pleasant setting in an attractive park. Several of the tee shots are extremely risky, promising both the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat. The course is not particularly wooded nor overgrown, so a good second shot will let you recover from a disastrous drive. The other players are friendly, are are happy to help you find your way around.
Cons: Many of the fairways cross pedestrian paths that see heavy walking traffic. You will probably have to shoo small children out of the middle of several fairways. You will also probably need help navigating this course the first time or two you play it, because the flow from basket to tee is often confusing, if not counterintuitive. This course is interesting, but in my humble opinion, poorly laid out.
Other Thoughts: The large, open field by the first hole is a nice place to warm up your arm before starting.

Don't try to throw over the tennis courts on #13. Step up to the concrete slab by the corner of the tennis courts and tee off from there. #16 is maddening, and it's where you're most likely to hit somebody. It's a narrow shot from the tee straight up a pedestrian path, with heavily used ball fields a few yards away on the left, a number of large trees a few yards away on the right, and two medium-sized trees directly in front of the tee box.

With all the strikes against it, this course remains charming, probably because it's only a 5 minute drive from my workplace. Recreational players will likely enjoy this course more than the nearby East Roswell. If you're willing to play it safe and wait for pedestrians to clear away, you'll have plenty of fun.

Not the best course.

2/7/2008   2/7/2008
Review By: punkfan55
Pros: A good mix of holes. Some of the holes were very challenging.
Cons: Dirt tee pads. It just rained and it was very muddy. No main entrance bulletin board. It was very hard to find the first tee, since there were a bunch of entrances.
Other Thoughts: I was playing this course since I was down in the area. Fun to check out new courses just wish it would have been concrete tee pads and proper signage.

Shouldn't be high on your list

12/1/2007   1/11/2008
Review By: jdawg24
Pros: This course has a lot of history... Some fun, but short holes. Mix of open and tight partially wooded holes.
Cons: The park has really sprung up around (and through) the course, so be prepared for pedestrians or even horses on the holes. Sidewalks come into play on multiple holes. The course is poorly marked, has dirt teepads and a dilapidated feel, and is tough to find your way around. Also be prepared to walk 1/4 mile after hole 11 (head towards the giant playground)
Other Thoughts: Worth playing if you're in the immediate area...but definitely check out any other local course before this one if time is limited!