Layout Extinct

Wills Park - Old Layout Share
Uploaded By: punkfan55 Hole #1
3 / 347ft.   3 / -- Par / Distance:

< Prev 1 2 3 4
 Challenging but with a few problems

1    10/10/2010   10/10/2010
Review By: Longace
Pros: Alot of long narrow shots. Some newly poured concrete pads. Many holes require some tight shots. All in all it is a challenging course.
Cons: Park can be busy at times and several holes require you to thow. Across paths that are heavily used. Supposedly the are in the process of moving a few holes around. Navigating the holes can be challenging your first time around.
Other Thoughts: Try to avoid after rain; several of the tee pads become muddy holes.

I Wills goes here again

1    8/15/2010   8/17/2010
Review By: slengel82
Pros: A variety of holes with good transitions from slightly open to tight and narrow. Well manicured and quality baskets. Some nice sights and flows smoothly through the park. (One long walk which can make it confusing if you haven't been there or if your not playing with someone that is familiar with the course)
Cons: Tee boxes left a little to be desired, actually they were pretty bad. Seems like someone had recently dug up all or most of the tee pads so they were soft and somewhere between dirt and mud.

There were some people walking about which made it difficult to just grip and rip. Almost stepped in the same pile of dog shit three times but that is kind of my own fault. Speaking of excrement, be prepared for smells of equine waste. Turns out this is also a horse park.
Other Thoughts: Would like to see a practice basket off to the side. Seems like there is plenty of room and I am not too keen on practicing on an actual hole.

Oh SNAP Wills... REDESIGN IN PROCESS

5+    12/17/2010   8/4/2010
Review By: Bakenstine
This review was updated on 12/17/2010
Pros: -Practice Basket
-Paved Teepads.. Hurray! 2 pads for hole one.
-General flow makes more sense, if not perfect sense.
-Parking at either main entrance or rec center work equally well, but tennis matches might limit the availability.
-Course doubles back for a long walk from 16 to 17, instead of the old long walk from 11 to 12 through the center of the park.
-As soon as signs and benches are put in, I will be about as happy as I could be about this setup.
Cons: -DRAINAGE: Huge issue on the new fairways and around the pads. I am sure that something will be done about this in a few places, but other spots look like they will be returning problems, just as it was in the past.
-Walking paths and course flow still amount to alot of people in the way of drives, and alot of waiting.
-Parking at the old lot makes for a pain of a walk, but if you feel like a run at just a few holes after 18, it is fun to play the 4-7 circuit next to that lot.
Other Thoughts: Hopefully more teepads and pin locations are in store for Wills. I'd like to see them lengthen some of the short shots on this new layout.
I would think the property should provide a better way of lining up 18 shots, but I know that sacrifices must be made to squeeze them all in. I just wish more progress had been made on this problem before laying the cement.Maybe some last minute changes are in the works I do not know about.

Worst park yet

1    6/25/2010   6/25/2010
Review By: kevinrsullivan
Pros: It was close to where I was driving by to go home.
Cons: No concrete pads.
Baskets are out dated.
Place needs work. I can see where it can get VERY muddy when it rains.
Too many places where the course crosses areas where people are walking or playing. Too many chances to hit people!
Other Thoughts: If you are in the area and enjoy the game, go for it. Other wise, don't judge the game from this course. It needs work and on crowded days, can probably be very frustrating!

A one time classic

1    10/25/2009   12/20/2009
Review By: tmahan
Pros: Course is situated in a nice but crowded neighborhood close to just about every convenience imaginable. The first three holes play around the parking lot and aren't too exciting. At about #4 the course turns into the woods and that's where it gets going, I really like this stretch of wooded holes through #11, it's also the most secluded part of the course. From there you take a completely non-intuitive turn and walk around some ball fields in the general direction of the parking lot. The last seven are shoe-horned in between a decent sized creek and a few buildings and courts. Some of these are actually pretty good challenges but are intimidating the first time you play them due to their proximity to other park patrons.
Cons: I played on a Sunday afternoon which I'm sure the locals would say is the absolute worse time. You have to keep a constant eye out for walkers, bikers, joggers, etc. The worst part of the day for me was my approach on #16. I was on an embankment next to a couple ball fields along the left side of the fairway. After waiting patiently for a number of strollers it looked all clear and I launched my shot only to see a toddler on a tricycle pop out from the far side of the embankment, fortunately my shot landed far away from him. I suggest a spotter for this one.

I hooked up with a couple guys that had played here before on #4 or I never would have found my way. There are maps available on the course info here on this site, I strongly suggest you print one if you're playing without a guide.

If you're playing in autumn when the leaves are falling you'll really want to avoid the creek around the last few holes. It's surprisingly deep and when it's covered with leaves it's very difficult the find your disc.

Other Thoughts: This is a venerable old course that appears to be almost overrun by suburban sprawl. It's obvious that the course has been modified from it's original design, probably more than once. I imagine the athletic fields that you hike across on the walk from 11 to 12 were not part of the original course. I'm guessing the the same may be true about the tennis court and pavillion in the middle of the back nine.

The course is located in the west end of a good sized recreation complex, if you're coming from Route 400 as I was you won't want to turn (left) until you get to the light that is almost completely past the park, If you turn in earlier you can spend a while driving around and not find it. It's tempting to say they should give up on this course and try to trade it for favor in getting a new one, but if this were my 20 y/o course in my neighborhood I would probably press the fight to keep it too. If you can get here in the morning or some other off time and have a map or a guide it's worth stopping in for a round,

1    11/8/2009   11/23/2009
Review By: 3OrangeWhips
Pros: Signs on every hole identifying the hole number and distance to basket. Good place to take the kids since there are lots of other park activities in addition to the disc golf course.
Cons: Course intertwines other areas of the park such as walking trails and playgrounds making it hard to play without risk to injuring other park goers. No tee pads other than a few worn down dirt patches near the tee signs. Course is almost impossible to navigate without a map or previous experience.
Other Thoughts: There is not much going for the Wills Park DGC other than the fact it is a complete 18-hole course in a nice safe park. However, I would not consider returning unless I really needed to play a round and this was somehow the only option. My party did not print a map in advance, and without having one, the course was just about impossible to navigate. We spent more time walking around trying to match baskets to tee pads than we did actually playing. In fact, we finally gave up after five holes when a 15 minute search did not yield the #6 tee pad (even though I later found it is very close to the #5 basket). Each hole is marked by a low wooden sign with the hole number, par and distance. These are the only indications of where the tee box area is and you really need eagle eyes to spot them. Once you can find where to throw from and what to throw to, there is the issue of danger to other park goers. Most of the five holes we played had you throwing over or along a busy walking trail. We spent a lot of time waiting for pedestrian traffic to clear so we could safely play a hole. Even then, you had to use extreme care to throw clear of other public areas like the adjacent playground and parking lots. I dislike giving such a lengthy negative review because it seems like I am just griping, but I hope sharing my experience will help others to decide whether or not a visit to this course is worthwhile.

Old times there are not forgotten

5+    11/21/2004   11/21/2009
Review By: KickMuttButt
Pros: There are a few challenging holes.
Cons: Too much activity in this park. I dont mind sharing space with other park users; but enough is enough.
Other Thoughts: This was once "the" course to play back in the late 80's. Once Chastain and Southern Tech were closed...and prior to Redan opening... this is where Atlanta Disc Golfers played. Back then this course was very popular. It has long seen it's day and I wish the PARD would move the course to a more suitable location. Many memories here!

Extreme Makeover Disc Golf Edition

1    10/16/2009   10/17/2009
Review By: JBryant
Pros: None that I could see. First few holes were fun to play. Other than that not much in the likeable category.
Cons: Older than dirt! This course is in bad need of repairs and a fresh look. Could use some new baskets at the most! The layout is awful on the last few holes. The walk from 11 to 12 is a pain! Who in the heck built those last holes did not know what they were doing. Many ppl at this course. That wasn't as bad as the course layout and all the water that had piled up from the rain from earlier in the week.
Other Thoughts: I would not go back to this course unless it was a different time of year and at a time when less ppl were there. Is there a time for that? Highly doubtful. UPDATE IT GUYS! There are plenty of other courses in the area that are far better to play.

Not too Bad

5+    8/11/2009   8/13/2009
Review By: dmerk
Pros: A pretty easy course, with still some challenges. A well balanced course.

Holes 1-5 are open and are pretty fun (then is your time to birdie). The front 9 are a lot of fun. Just well thought out holes, and well placed. The distances are fairly short, for the most part, but still have a bit of a challenge.

There may be no signs to tell you distance or pars, but you can see the pin on every hole (except 8 and 14), so its not too difficult to figure out. Overall good course.
Cons: Two holes in particular. I have no idea what they were thinking when they made hole 12 & 13. On 12 you pretty much have to go through a pavilion or get lucky to have a good 2nd shot, and, at least for me, you can forget about birdie. Just not a well thought out hole, definitely my most hated hole, its just unnecessary. Hole 13 is just annoying with heavy woods to the left and tennis courts immediately to your right. Your only good choice is a very tight lane or maybe over the tennis courts. Again, just not a very well thought out hole.

If its your first time playing you might get a bit lost, no signs to the next hole.

It gets really annoying when you have dogwalkers/walkers/runners/crazy-gator-drivers going through the course.

Other than those two holes, for the most part its not a bad course. It gets a little boring after a few times, but not bad if just play it once or twice.

Park Shared with ......Everyone!

1    7/4/2009   7/5/2009
Pros: This is a large MULTI USE PARK. Golfers have to share the park with joggers, bicyclists, walkers, tennis players, ball players, equestrian folks, picnics, family reunions and many others. I hope we can all get along. The course plays from one end of this large park to the other starting and finishing near a small community garden plot. The skill level is above recreational but well below championship. The course is kind of old school with 17 single chain baskets, grass or dirt teepads, small wood signs at each hole. But it all worked for me. There were only a couple of next tee signs. One pointing the way for the very, long hike from # 11 to # 12. Starting at # 12 and continuing through about # 16, a deep drainage ditch comes into play. It was almost dry in July when I played but when filled would provide a hazardous obstacle. It especially comes into play on # 12.
Cons: I really didn't like the design of # 13 next to the tennis courts. You have two choices. Throw the intended narrow route between the courts and the ditch and risk the murky ditch waters or take the safer throw over the courts whereupon many players will end up landing on this courtyard next to the tennis courts or in the courts themselves. On one hole the basket is by two ditches with no bridge or log to cross. So everyone just crosses the ditch causing damage to it.
Other Thoughts: If you're going to play this course, please be a good ambassador for our sport and interact positively with all whose paths you cross. I played at 7 in the AM on a Saturday morning and even then had to wait a few times for joggers or walkers. But the good news, I found a Roadrunner with no name lying next to the # 3 basket. Threw it on the next hole and got a 288' gimme birdie. Now it's my new favorite disc!

< Prev 1 2 3 4