Layout Extinct

3 / 174ft.   3 / -- Par / Distance:

Its as good as you are

5+    5/4/2009   5/5/2009
Review By: Scrumby
Pros: Challenging, great for playing with a competitive friend. Use every shot in the bag to play a good round.
Cons: Glorified janitors driving around in golf carts pretending to be some sort of dog leash authority.
Other Thoughts: Weekdays are pretty quiet, the course layout is the way it is because the course was there before walking paths, and the tennis court. I like the challenge. We still play from the original tee at 13 throwing right over the tennis courts. The tennis players seem to only say nice try if you OB. I've gotten within 10'. The pins that are right on the creek are a real golfers decision to go at it with a putt and risk the OB when you are behind a shot. I guess it's just not a course for beginners. This is one of my favorites.

C+ = As average as the come

5+    9/18/1995   4/18/2009
Pros: What I personally like and how this course stacks up:
1) Holes with good risk/reward -- B
2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities -- B
3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography -- B
4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion -- C

Not Very Pleasant

1    2/3/2009   2/4/2009
Review By: andrewn1919
Pros: -Open fairways
-Accurate shots required
Cons: -Lots of creeks
-Hole #15 is right next to a creek
-Awkward throwing discs next to baseball fields
-One mistake will get your disc lost in thick bushes of thorns and creek
-Hard to find hole #12 (Have to walk 400 yards to get there and directions are unclear. I got lost)
-Courses are not well planned out
Other Thoughts: I would come back to play this course to improve my game and the course is fairly close to my house. However, I wouldn't recommend it to others.

FORE!!!

1    1/24/2009   1/24/2009
Review By: BLANTON
Pros: The course is set in a beautiful park with much of the course winding in and out of the woods. The walk is enjoyable and the creeks running through the park add to the setting. This course presented more technical challenges than the other 2 courses I've played. Bring your short game and a lot of patience. As others have said, it might be worth a try if you're in the area. Though I probably wouldn't go out of my way to play here again.
Cons: To start, I played on a Saturday. If you play this course, try a weekday. The park was really crowded with joggers, walkers, dogs, baseball teams, horses, etc.

I had a difficult time finding the tee box for hole #1. I saw the pin, but never found the tee box. So I started with hole #2. I almost hit a horse on hole #3, so I just decided to start playing at hole #5 and go from there (Equestrian Center was packed too). The course flows pretty well from there.

Pack a lunch for the walk from #11 to #12. Good Luck on hole #12.

The condition of the course was tolerable. Tee boxes are fairly well marked, but there are no tee pads to speak of. Some of the baskets are showing age, but at least they're all there.

Pedestrian traffic would probably be the only thing that really annoyed me. The layout of the course puts pedestrians in danger at times. I haven't hit anybody with a disc yet, but it wouldn't surprise me if that happened here.

Other Thoughts: This was my first trip to Wills Park. I'm fairly new to disc golf, and I have enjoyed playing at some of the parks around the metro area. But in my opinion, this course was a little disappointing.

The walk through the park is very nice, but this course would be best experienced on a weekday when traffic is minimal.

Give it a shot

2-4    12/27/2008   12/27/2008
Review By: craigd
This review was updated on 1/25/2009
Pros: Well this is an unusual park to be sure. Unlike some of the reviews that precede mine, I happened to find a glimmer of light in this course. I can only describe it as an old friend. No matter what experiences disc golf has thrown your way in the past this course could always be there as an "old standby" if you live close. This was genuinely a fun little course.

I was really surprised by the fact that some of the holes were really technical. Eleven of the eighteen run right beside a small creek (5-9 and 12-15 and 17-18 all have water). The creek does have a few steep banks but for the most part they are manageable so there is no chance of losing your disc in deep water or wide areas. You might have a couple difficult retrieves but don't worry, just let em fly. I didn't see any areas that would make it impossible to get your disc back. You might have to work a little and bring some dry socks for the ride home.

You can leave the big arm at home. I can't throw very far and had a great time. Some of the folks that can really get some distance may get a little bored with out the long holes you can find on some other courses. You do have some risks to work out though. I found myself contemplating two paths to the basket on some holes. One would be to avoid trees and one to avoid water. If not trees and water look out for roads, kids, dogs, picnic tables, campers, grills and even tennis courts (these are also cons...see below). It was a challenge but it was still fun.

I know I run the risk of sounding cliche but I can't think of a way to describe this course other than to say what it has to offer, "It has a good mix". Most of the short holes are situated in such a way as to make you work in order to reach them. Aces are possible but are not granted. The longer holes are accentuated by slight doglegs or natural obstacles to keep it interesting. It has everything but super long holes. A couple were just over 300' and some were under 200'.

The signs got me around pretty well even without a map. With help from some friendly locals we found our way around with little effort (except # 12 across the parking lot). We looked around and found 12 without too much trouble. I remembered seeing a basket near the intersection of Wills Road and Old Milton so I headed that way. Sure enough, that's twelve. I am sure you will run into some friendly locals to help you around too. If you would rather keep to yourself then I would defiantly print out a map.

There is a nice big field to the left of hole number one. It is perfect for a quick warm up.

Overall this is a decent course and well worth a play. If not for the following cons this would be one of my local favorites.

Cons: Well this course is dangerous in my mind. I assume that no one has been hurt badly or else the soccer moms would have this course shut down in about two seconds. The problem is that there seems to be some confusion between fairways and walkways. I can see how one or two fairways might mingle on a tight piece of property but this is crazy.

It all started by the parking lot at number one, close to the equestrian park/ RV area. Someone had their screen tent set up just to the right of the fairway. Beyond that it was frequent interaction with dog walkers and strollers. There are some holes (1 and 12 come to mind) where picnic tables literally come into play. One or two of the walking paths follow the fairway exactly so when someone comes around the bend you have to wait for them to walk the full 200-300 feet or so only to see someone else coming around the bend from the other side. Bring you patience with you for sure. You can also scrape up some plastic on the sidewalks too.The tennis court hole can be made better by just using the sidewalk to the left of the courts as the tee pad. It shortens the hole but hey, at least you have a concrete tee pad.

The tee pads are dirt/grass/mud/roots/gravel. Some are better than others but don't expect any consistency. They were all pretty soggy. I played after lots of rain so keep that in mind.

There is a long walk between eleven and twelve. We had to look around and try to figure out where twelve is located. Once you figure out where it's located it's no big deal. The next time you play you will not sweat it at all. The sign says 400 yards (across the parking lot) between the two. It felt like more but whatever. There are restrooms with water fountains on the journey so what the heck, just take a break.

I thought the baskets were in pretty bad shape relatively speaking. Some of them had a noticeable lean. Additionally they had some questionable (albeit creative) repairs. Pipe clamps and rope connected some of the inner chains on a few. I guess if it works don't knock it! They still work.
Other Thoughts: If you live in the area there is no reason not to play this course. I would give it a 3.5 or maybe a 4 but the foot traffic on the course really takes a toll. It really is a shame.

Turn down Wills Road, park in the small lot just before the big horse barn close to the basketball courts. I did not pay attention but I think it is the first lot on the left. Look for the basket at the far end of the small lot. That is hole number one and the tee pad is at the top of the hill to the left near the horse barn area.

If you are looking to make a day of it try this plan. East Roswell Park, Wills Park, then Sequoyah Park. You cold easily fit these into a long day of disc golf. Start with either East Roswell Park or Sequoyah Park and work your way across.

One caution is to avoid Wills on the weekend.

Wishy-Washy

5+    5/27/2008   12/27/2008
Review By: Galahad
Pros: A few decent holes.
Cons: Far too much interaction with the other activities in the park. Walkers, joggers, baseball, tennis, etc etc. Some of the fairways are simply ridiculous, esp. the one next to the tennis courts.
Other Thoughts: This is the first ever disc golf course I played on about 20 years ago. Back then there was minimal, almost none other things to affect the play except the fields on hole 16. Now the park is so doggoned busy it's really not a reasonalbe place to play except maybe early early. I don't want to diss it so much but it really would do so much better to redesign it or find another place for the baskets. The course layout now is a little different than it used to be. We also used to play "curse of the reverse" where we played the course backwards...kind of fun. Peace.

Crowded...

5+    12/23/2008   12/26/2008
Review By: ecohippie
Pros: Worth playing at least once. Most holes offer a new and unique challenge, forcing you to use a variety of shots to get around. Hole lengths are reasonable and the baskets are in decent condition.
Cons: First off, the park is way to crowded and presents somewhat of a danger to other park users due to the paved trails that meander in and out of the fairways. Some holes even have benches in the areas of drives.

The tee pads are absolute crap (uneven dirt, roots, and some gravel).

Hole 12 has no preferred fairway, so enjoy the wall of trees guarding any sort of fairway/landing area. The only open area is above the creek that runs parallel with the hole.

Hole 13 forces you to throw over tennis courts. The landing area is all concrete so if you have a favorite disc that you don't want scratched, then be advised to relocate your tee off position (the corner of the tennis courts).
Other Thoughts: This course is worth at least one play if you are in the area. It does offer a good deal of challenges.

One other warning, lots of people like to walk their dogs through holes 8, 10 and 11. So watch out for dog crap!

Woods.....

1    12/13/2008   12/18/2008
Review By: jreeves16
Pros: If you like a challenge... this is one to play. It's 90%+ woods, so if you like a wood course give this park a try. It's very straight forward. The signs are helpful.
Cons: DO NOT PLAY THIS COURSE AFTER A RAIN. If you do... bring boots and a bathing suit. This course retains water. Plus there's a creek or two that runs through it. I didn't see one tee box. It's also really close to people on several holes. It's almost completely in the woods so don't plan to let it rip here. The only other thing is around 11, it's a little difficult to know where to go. Just make sure you get a map.
Other Thoughts: I've only done this course once and it was after a rain. I want to play it again when it's dry. I'll give it a 1.5 for now...

Challenging Course

2-4    12/13/2008   12/18/2008
Review By: BobbyC13
Pros: Very fun wooded course that makes you think about your shot. Very well laid out with good signage.
Cons: Some holes are downright tough to get a good shot out, but still possible to par. Retains water after a rain for a while and almost becomes a swamp!
Other Thoughts: Great course in the north atlanta area!

you got to play it once

2-4    9/14/2008   11/20/2008
Review By: 3monsterboys
Pros: nice park. the holes are pretty cool. if you are in the area you might as well play.
Cons: course is kinda dangerous. people on the walking path you could possibly hit. have to be careful near the tennis courts.long walk from hole 11 to 12.
Other Thoughts: like the title if you are near by you need to at least play it once. durring the week you should be o.k.(not many people) weekends hope your game is ON!