Columbia, SC
Earlewood Park Share

My youth group is going to regret this

2-4    4/23/2014   4/23/2014
Review By: Bennybennybenny
Pros: -Earlewood is an old course. It was designed six years before I was born. It has so many of the "old course" qualities. It's a relatively easy course that any player can enjoy. The hole quality here is a 137/180 so that makes it exciting.
-Great balance of open/wooded here! Most holes are in the middle here. There are a few truly wooded holes and a couple open holes. A hole that stands out as an open/wooded hole is 13! It's an uphill hyzer that starts in the open but the green is very wooded. Definitely my favorite green on the course. 18's green is up there with 13's green! 18 has a creek past the basket. I can't believe I got in the creek on my drive! There are plenty of treacherous greens as well (particularly drop offs.)
-Some huge elevation changes here. 18 is one of the greatest finishing holes I have played! It's a long par 3 (par 5 if you play rec) with a huge elevation drop. It's the empty your bag hole! 18 is my favorite hole on this course. 7 is a huge uphill shot as well. It's only 275' but plays right around 400'! Those two holes have the greatest elevation changes but there are several straight ups and downs! There is a six hole elevation combo. Holes 11-16 all utilize elevation very well! 16 is a sweet valley shot over the amphitheater. I would never want to see an event going on around the amphitheater because it would be hard to play the hole!
-Beginner friendly! The tee signs say the par for rec players but you can always play white level by playing every hole as a par 3. I shot 1 under playing every hole as a par 3. The rough is used very fair. None of the rough is used to the extreme but is used solidly and just the way it should. The lost disc potential is low but there is a chance.
-Trees. The trees make it a little bit tricky but nothing over the top. Due to trees, some holes require an interesting hyzer. Particularly hole 12. Very cool hole with very small gaps straight ahead making it a good idea to hyzer to the right. Same with hole 2. A straight shot won't do here. You can hyzer or anhyzer.
-The Teepads are the way they need to be. Perfect size, great shape and concrete.
-The Mach 1 baskets work very well with the course. They are old but still catch fine. Like I said before, I love the basket locations too! Great greens with roller potential!
-Ace opprotunities. Some good ace runs here, they are definitely not gimmes but birdies will come if you hit your lines. An ace can come here but it's not going to come easily at all.
-Nice little park that's family friendly. It has a playground, a ball field, etc.
Cons: -Hole safety can be a real problem. Holes 1 and 2 are so close to each other. 17's fairway is awfully close to 18's Teepad as well. This problem comes around here are there showing there should be mandos.
-Hole 8 isn't a very good hole. It's just crammed in. It's super close to the road and there is a sign warning that the road ends. The hill slopes pretty steep to the left which could bring you back to hole 7. Just not a good hole for this course.
-Lack of amenities. No benches, trash cans, bathrooms.
-Hole 5's gulley is deep and insanely steep. I picked up my dad's disc and had a hard time getting out. It's even worse when it's wet outside. That's the hole that has good lost disc potential.
-I remember when I played here with my church group in 2012 and the bugs can be really bad in the summer.
Other Thoughts: -I love Earlewood and I love how it's still worth a road trip to play the disc golf course. We stopped in Columbia to spend the night so our drive to ocean isle won't be so long and boring. It was well worth my 2+ hour drive over here in Columbia where I was actually born. Even the scary merge from hwy 20 to hwy 26 during rush hour. I was glad to play here again because I loved the course when I played in the summer of 2012 and only played 10 holes. My youth leaders did not know what they missed here. They only played 1 thru 8. I played those holes as well as 10 and 11. They should've made more time to play here. A lot more time! Things get interesting after 11. Hole 12 was one of the best holes here as well as 13. Great greens and very interesting fairways.
-This is probably the best course in the area. I don't see what the hoo plah is about Crooked Creek. I've seen the pictures. It looks like a generic flat course. Same goes for Owens Field. This course is worth a road trip if you mostly play for your personal enjoyment. The hole quality is great! Same goes for Stoney Hill. I'd love to play that course and I will one day! This course is great and deserves this rating of a 4.0. I personally liked the back nine better than the front nine. It's just as hilly but has more uniqueness to it.

Signature holes would be 16 and 18. With 16 being the most interesting and 18 having the greatest use of elevation

Toughest hole-Ehhh I'd say hole 2. It's a very tricky downhill anhyzer shot. Perfect for flicks. Still a pretty easy 3 but requires an unusual anhyzer.

nice course and fun to play

1    4/4/2014   4/4/2014
Review By: KINGDUCK
Pros: Very nice course with varied distances and pars. Every course I played on always is a par 3 for every hole...it is nice to have par 4 and five mixed in. I like the terrain and the holes and tee boxes are well marked. It has up and down terrain giving you a good work out when playing.
Cons: The hills are rough on players like me that have bad knees. The course is very busy at times making it hard to get in a round. Some of the hilly parts can be a little slippery.
Other Thoughts: Overall a great course that I would recommend to anyone that plays disc golf. It is also good that there is minimal pedestrians in the way.

Fun Course to Play

5+    11/9/2013   11/10/2013
Review By: drj1807
Pros: Well kept up. Beautiful area/surroundings.
Cons: A LOT of densely wooded area and deep ravines where you can lose a disk.
Other Thoughts: A really solid course. There are a LOT of trees. Is is also pretty hilly. ON a few tees the elevation drops or rises 30+ feet in a relatively short span.

Great place

5+    12/2/2011   12/2/2012
Review By: EricBasile
Pros: great place
i only played here while first learning to play
my reviews probably would be different now that i can play a lot better
If in SC i would definately make a stop here to get in a round or two
Cons: Not much to complain about. I see people out there doing maintenance so it is well kept. Not a lot of traffic but maybe it could be a bit more challenging.

A Great 18 Hole.

5+    8/27/2011   8/27/2011
Review By: JoshuaWayneHester
Pros: *All Mach 1 goals in excellent shape.Great use of the hill sides, making some shots upwards, downwards and a few flat shots.

*Fair amount of trees give some of the short distances a better challenge.

*All concrete tee pads, except on hole 1.

*All tee's are marked with number post with feet and par on them.

*There are navigation stickers on every basket pointing towards the next hole.

*Great scenery with very good maintance.

*Great course for beginners or newer players to learn the sport.

*Low risk of losing a disc, although there are water hazzards they are very small.

*Hole 18 is a hole with great use of elevation and wooded area.
Cons: *Navigation the first time around can be overwhelming, although the tee's are fairly easy to find the baskets are not so easy to spot.

*Very little buffer zones on a few holes, make it easy to fly a disc into another players way.

*This course can be a safety concern for smaller children due to the steep inclines and declines on a few holes.

*Although the baskets are in excellent shape they are older designs with smaller baskets and can cause a few more spit-outs.

*An easy course for intermediate to advanced players using the courses par system.
Other Thoughts: This is by far one of my favorite courses, Earlewood Park utilizes all of it's land to maximize the fun level for golfers. This course offers 18 easy to play holes with great elevation changes and good maintance. I would recommend bringing a map to navigate this course and plenty of water. I traveled 2 hours to play and it was worth every minute. *Highly recommended course*

My Morning Earlewood

5+    7/3/2011   7/6/2011
Review By: Upshawt1979
Pros: Earlewood Park has a very fun disc golf course that utilizes the limited space available perfectly. Each hole has a concrete tee pad, and a sign with distance and an inflated par for that hole. All holes are par 3 for experienced players. Distance is never overwhelming, as any basket can be reached from the box with a well placed drive. Elevation change is a factor on most holes, to varying degrees. Hole 18 is probably the signature hole, a long drive down a tall hill through the trees. Great flowing layout with little chance to lose plastic keeps the pace steady, even on a crowded day.
Cons: The fairways are not overly technical, and highly skilled players might find this course to be too easy. The baskets are OLD SCHOOL, and those chains will spit out a putt that would fall in many other targets. It is a compact park with other facilities, but other users rarely hinder disc golf play.
Other Thoughts: I love Earlewood Park. It is one of the most fun courses I've played that is still quite beginner friendly. The layout is practical with just enough obstacles to keep it interesting. The antiquated dome top baskets add a little flavor you can't find on modern courses. I may be over rating this course in some peoples opinions. There is a lack of difficulty (last round I had 6 consecutive birdies on the back nine), but it is care free disc golf and I like it! If you are in the neighborhood with your plastic at hand, then check it out for sure.

Lots of fun, no big arm required

2-4    2/9/2011   2/9/2011
Review By: Sabooo
Pros: Compact course with lots of elevation changes. The park is very well kept, and the course is well maintained. Some great signature holes (#18 and the ampitheater are my favorites) Local players are very friendly!
The course has a very good amount of activity, and it's easy to find a tour guide.
Cons: While no long distance walking required between holes, lots of up and downhill walking. Parks dept recently added a walking path that runs through some fairways, but no walkers when I played. Soil compaction along the wooded fairways means lots of exposed roots to trip over.
Other Thoughts: I love this course! You can knock out a solo round very quickly. I dropped in on the wednesday doubles, and joined 17 other players for a round. The locals are super friendly, and offered quite a bit of help with this old man's technique.

A great course in the Capital of South Carolina

1    8/5/2010   8/12/2010
Review By: RussMB
This review was updated on 2/27/2012
Pros: Earlwood is a classic course from the 90's that is well worth your time to stop and play.
-Located in a nice urban park. Well maintained & clean
-Trash Cans & Benches
-Beautiful Terrain. The course plays up & down hills continually.
-Decent Navigation. Some of the baskets have arrows pointing to the next teepads. (I'd still recommend printing off the map.)
-Courses navigates back to the parking lot. Allowing for a "quick 9" on either the front or back 9. This also allows for a stop off at the car if needed.
-Course interactions with Non-players was minimal.*
-#18 is a spectacular finishing hole. Definitely the courses signature hole.
-Throwing over the Amphitheater on #16 was a fun experience! It's the type of hole where you will two more discs, beyond your initial shot, just to watch them fly!
-It may be a challenging course to start out on, but I think beginners will do just fine playing here.
-Earlwood still offers a challenge to the regular player. It may not be as challenging to the professional player, but a professional player could still have a good time here.
-Big "Fun Factor" for me!
-Course requires strategy over distance, but still offers holes that will let you drive for distance.
-The majority of Earlwood is shaded with trees, this can offer a little bit of relief on hot days.
Cons: -Walking trails have been added to the course, which may cause interference from Non-players.
-*(flip side of the pro) Though interactions were minimal, I noticed a few areas where crowds could cause a stop in play. Perhaps a family reunion at a shelter house, some type of Concert in the park in the Amphitheater, or even just a busy Saturday when everyone is "out & about".
-Signs, although they were very nice, offered limited information. (Hole #, Par and Distance only)
-I didn't have any major "Issues", I've been told that the bathrooms aren't readily "accessible".
Other Thoughts: I thoroughly enjoyed Earlwood! It's a fun course that is not overly challenging. Don't mistake that, Earlwood has challenges. I'm saying that there is a great (Challenge:Fun) ratio. Earlwood is located in a really nice park, in downtown Columbia. It was well maintained, and clean.

Play at Earlwood will have you working that right line through the trees. You will be throwing up and down hills. Sometimes throwing on a blind shot, as you throw over the top of a hill. There are a few risk/reward holes, as well as numerous holes that will make you consider the lie for your second shot. (i.e. You may have a great drive, but you could end up with a bad roll going downhill.) 18 is the signature hole, and the epitome of "Risk/Reward". You throw down a steep 382 ft tight & narrow wooded fairway. All it takes is one tree to ruin a nicely executed drive. #18 can be painful, but it's also a fun challenge! You may even find yourself emptying your bag, just to see if you can pull it off.

If your trip has you in, around or near Columbia, SC then this course is definitely worth a stop. I drove from over an hour away to play here, and I was not disappointed. No special footwear is needed here, but you will be trekking up & down steep hills. I was also warned that Poison Ivy, Sumac, and Oak can be bad in some places, so take proper precautions. You would be well advised to bring some liquids, because you will get a work out walking this course. If you can hook up with a local, that will help with some of the blind shots and other navigation issues.

A Nice Easy Little Course

2-4    6/23/2010   6/27/2010
Review By: performancecoach
Pros: - Elevation changes: A great mix of elevation. In some cases, it made the hole a little more of a test if you didn't land the perfect shot. You had to sometimes think of what approach shot or putt angle to go after in case you missed.

- "Thought" needed to maximize score: Like listed above, some holes required you to think of your exact angle and power of your approach. If you made a mental error and didnt take obstacles, hills, etc. into account, you could go from makable birdie to tough par in an instant.

- A good amount of obstacles: Not as bad as courses where just not hitting a tree is a pro, this course has a solid blend of trees and other obstacles in the way making a duffed shot more difficult to find par.

- Scenic (both park and people): There were people playing basketball and softball and walking on the scenic trail, which made it nice to be around others and people watch. At the same time, I never found any of these people to be in the way or have to worry about them. The holes did a good job of maneuvering around that.
Cons: Bathrooms never open?: A few people said they were rarely open, which is odd considering the amount of people there. Made it very uncomfortable for the round I really need to go!!

- Par 5's: Even my worst attempts at the Par 5's resulted in birdies. I had one where I hit the first tree possible and still had an easy birdie. I'll discuss "Par" below, but I didn't care for these Par 5's.

- Signage for Beginners: The signs didn't point toward the basket. My first round I had to start over because I was playing the wrong baskets. After one time through with some local players, this wasn't a problem.

No changes in pin placement, which could make it too easy after playing the course repeatedly.
Other Thoughts: I am not an advocate of "everything is a par 3". In regular golf, there are some courses that are extremely difficult (like the US Open) where breaking par over 4 rounds is ideal. Other courses, -4 might not be all that great for a round. A lot of the holes on this course are too easy to birdie. My biggest problem would be the Par 5's. If they were made into Par 4's, they would still be legit and relatively easy to birdie.

Again, I don't like a course where you feel like you never have a real birdie chance and par is easy if you stay conservative. I wouldn't mind seeing some of these get a little closer to realistic.

Overall, I really enjoyed this course. I'm not from South Carolina and enjoyed the change in scenery (being from West Texas right now). The 18th hole is great (should still be a par 4) but I loved it. The course really setup to my game well (the majority of my shots are power shots and I throw sidearm a lot, which helped with a lot of holes. Almost had the shot of my life on 18. Threw a near perfect over-correcting snapper (side arm) that bounces off the ground and hit the basket! Tapped In for double eagle.

Overall, a great course that I would love to play again if I ever get back to Fort Jackson.

My Scores: -9, -13, -11

Discing Down South

1    11/24/2009   4/14/2010
Review By: maynes32
Pros: - Excellent use of elevation
- Enough trees to be challenging, but not so many that it feels like plinko
- Each hole presents multiple routes to choose between. I really like this. Two different styles may play each hole entirely differently.
- Relatively difficult to lose discs is a nice perk for beginners. Even if it goes into the creek bed, at least you KNOW that's where it is. Getting to it is a different matter.
Cons: - Only one set of tee pads is a shame. I can understand that there may not be enough space for two on every hole, but I've played plenty of courses where there were not multiple tees on every hole.
- In some instances, pathfinding is a challenge on your first time around. This is mitigated somewhat by the map, but painting a basket spoke might not be a bad idea.
Other Thoughts: Coming from the heart of disc golfing in Michigan, I was a bit worried about discing in what I'd heard was the "poor disc stepchild" of North Carolina. I was VERY impressed with Earlewood, though, and can't wait to play again.