Columbia, SC
Earlewood Park Share
Uploaded By: DiscChainBasket18 Hole #12 (Taken 5/2010)

Excellent design

5+    10/28/2009   10/26/2009
Review By: Shannon Winn
This review was updated on 10/28/2009
Pros: The person who laid this place out did a brilliant job. It may be the best use of a small piece of land I've ever seen.
Many course builders have done way worse with better land. While the holes are close to one another, they do not really interfere with each other, and the flow of the place is just about perfect. There are many nice trees, but it doesn't play tight. You can get to all the routes with decent accuracy, and luck is not an issue when driving. I always find this characteristic positive. Some very short holes that play longer than the footage would indicate. There are no long holes- every hole is under 400 feet and most are under 300. It's old school bird-land. Think Rutgers with elevation changes.
My favorite holes, for now, are #9 (do NOT go right!), #16 (a healthy huck across the amphitheater), and #18- a fairly long, fairly tight downhiller that calls for a low, straight jolt.
Some holes lend themselves to roller drives, and some of the greens are very fast.
Me likee!
Cons: Having a huge arm is not an advantage. Not possessing said huge arm, this is not a con for me, but might be to some.
The baskets are weird- not really Mach l's- they catch better than that. Not really an issue either. They are adequate. Just received this update from DavidSauls;"The baskets were originally on a lighted course at Myrtle Beach in the 1980s. They are domed and configured for lights in the domes. The course was destroyed by Hurricane Hugo (1989), and the baskets relocated to Earlewood.

They are hybrids, since they've been upgraded with deeper baskets and inner chains. But they're narrower than most, and the domed top is unique.

The design is Harold Duvall's. Probably one of his first." Thanks for the Info Dave! Love this course!
Other Thoughts: Designers would do well to check this course out to see how well 18 holes can fit on a tiny parcel of acreage. Looks like a fun tournament venue- short enough to score but tight enough to keep you honest.
A darn good little course- Ignore the listed pars- this is a classic par 54 course.

Up and Down - Cool Course

1    9/25/2009   10/19/2009
Review By: hooboy
Pros: Course is set away from the rest of the park (for the most part) in a large ravine that would otherwise be unusable. One cement tee pad per hole, in generally good shape. Course is moderately wooded. The trees combined with huge elevation changes make for interesting and challenging shots. Course uses some elements other than trees as obstacles which I normally don't like, but here its pretty cool. Telephone poles, a large above ground pipe on 10, and an amphitheather all come into play. 15-18 are very neat finishing holes. 15 goes downhill to the top of the amphitheater (I overshot and ended up in row 2 of the theater). 16 crosses back through the theater to a basket perched on a hill. 17 is 200 feet through narrow trees. 18 is a spectacular 350 feet steeply downhill through a narrow chute. I stopped for a deep breath and took it all in. Course has par 3's, 4's and 5's, so you'll get a variety of distances. With all the hills here you will get a good workout. Course also loops back to parking lot after front nine. Course is conveniently located, only a few miles from downtown and the USC campus.
Cons: Course essentially is in a big "V" shaped ravine. Front nine on one side of the "V", back nine on the other. If you don't like throwing or walking up and down, then this is a con. Some co-mingling of fairways, which could be an issue if crowded. It was very hot even on a late Sep. morning. Breeze blows when you get to the top of the ravine, no breeze when you are down low...I can only imagine what its like here in July or August. Hole markings have distance only, no map, had to walk up for a look on several holes. Any cons are minimal...this is a good, fun, and interesting course, where you'll get a real workout.
Other Thoughts: Not sure if this is pro or con, or "non-issue", but the par markings here are very easy. I went 3-3-3 on the first three holes, which were marked par 4-4-5. I was 11 under total with only one "2", and I'm not that good. I don't worry too much about the par markings...I enjoyed this course and will definitely go back on my next trip to Columbia.

Up and down

1    9/3/2009   9/3/2009
Review By: billnchristy
Pros: Huge elevation changes, makes a lot of GA courses look flat in comparison.
Great use of a small amount of land.
Several elements combine to make a pretty easy (on paper) course at least enjoyable:
1) elevation
2) old baskets make putting a more technical procedure
3) baskets on elevation make putting a risky procedure.
Nice tee pads and simple, yet adequate signs.
18 is daunting and a great way to finish.
Cons: Ridiculous sign par.
I would bet that on a crowded day you would see several overlaps that might involve you throwing onto or very close to people.
Possible tough navigation spots (I had a guide), these will clear up upon playing once...if I had to walk up and down the hills to find holes I might not be too happy.
Other Thoughts: What a great little course! It is a heck of a cardio workout if you play fast and has enough intrigue to keep you interested I think. I could see having a really good game here one day and just sucking the next time...the lines are tight but reasonable but could seriously punish you.

I will play here whenever I am in town.

Niiiice!

2-4    8/26/2009   8/26/2009
Review By: sloppydisc
This review was updated on 5/5/2010
Pros: Nice city part that is easy to find, and easy to get around. Good layout with small distances between holes. Good signs. Good concrete tee-pads and a nicely kept-up park. Good use of elevation. Lots of ups and downs. Elevation is used on almost every hole. Several nice ace possibilities available. Several very nice holes, but I really enjoy #18. Tee off down a big hill and try to get your disc between a fairway clustered with trees. There is a line, but it can br tricky to get through. It's also one of the longer holes on the course.
Cons: No real long bomber holes. Nothing dramatic or unique. Throwing over the ampitheatre is cool, but pretty simple. There is a small creek that comes into play on several holes.
Other Thoughts: A good solid course. Probbaly best for newbies or intermediate players. Advanced players may get bored. I am about 5 strokes better here than on more challenging course's. Would be a great home course to learn the game and multiple shots. I play it whenever I go to Columbia now.

There is now a new crushed gravel walking path around the park. Could add some pedestrian traffic, but could also be used as an OB to toughen up some of the holes.

A Fun Short, HIlly Course!

1    7/17/2009   7/19/2009
This review was updated on 10/19/2009
Pros: The Earl is set in another multi-use park. For the most part the course is separate from the majority of the park patrons. This course is well designed using the rugged, hillside terrain of the park on almost every hole. The tee signs are good. The teepads are more than adequate. They have these funky old baskets with a chrome dome on the top, which incidentaly is a great place to place the next tee signs, which they have in many instances. Although it is a very short course with only five holes longer than 300 feet and none over 400 feet, it's fun and challenging due to the trees and elevation. The course was built in 1991 and the current pars on the signs reflect the disc technology from back then. I'm sure the course record playing the listed pars is somewhere around 20 to 25 under par. There are many ACE ops here. There are plenty of mature trees here but not so many that this would be considered a wooded "technical" course. That's my kind of my favorite thing about this course. The appeal it holds for most every player.
Cons: # 16 is a fun throw when nothings happening in the amphitheater but would have to be skipped with people seated there. The overall shortness of the course would be turnoff for some players.
Other Thoughts: With four par 5's and probably eight par 4's listed on a course this short, there are plenty of chances for eagles and probably a lot of double eagles, as well. I say play the pars as listed, rack up those exclusive eagles and enjoy. # 18 is a fun disc golf hole, looking down at the basket 330 ft. away through the many trees. I would love to have Earlewood as my home course.

Great Course

5+    6/9/2009   6/11/2009
Review By: Shooter McGavin
Pros: -Great Layout with a good mix of open drives and tight accuracy shots.
-Good use of trees to make course more challenging.
-Great course for beginners and for more advanced players.
-My favorite holes are #9 (allows for a big drive with a "well placed" tree in front of the basket) and #18 (downhill where you can see the basket clearly through the trees)
-Columbia club has a weekly doubles tournament, check their website for more info
Cons: If it's your first time I suggest printing a map or going with a veteran. Not really a con ,but it can get fairly crowded during the prime hours.
Other Thoughts: A great course located close to downtown. A good mix of shot types and obstacles. If you are visiting Columbia, this is the course to play.

A- = A Great Course!

5+    2/25/2008   5/1/2009
Pros: What I personally like and how this course stacks up:
1) Holes with good risk/reward -- B+ (most of the danger is a result of roll-aways)
2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities -- A
3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography -- A (even though the course is not a woods course, the use of the huge oaks and the terrain make up for that big time)
4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion -- B (The big oaks are beautiful, but it still has too much of a feel of an urban park)
5) Bonus amount for multi-shot holes with defined landing zones, good risk/reward and multiple options to play them -- N/A
Other Thoughts: It's all about feeding the addiction, so I ranked this course subjectively based on my own "personal addiction factor". The grades above tell how well the course will draw me back to itself again and again and again. Since I have played a decent number of courses (115 18-hole, 50 9-hole as of early 2009), my hope is that players/explorers who have similar addiction tastes will find my ratings list helpful as they choose courses to play and explore.

1    7/14/2008   7/30/2008
Review By: heelboycraig
This review was updated on 8/12/2008
Pros: Good course layout. Course flows nicely.
- Holes are close together, so no long walks.
- Good use of elevation, leading to a variety of holes and basket placements.
- Plenty of chances for birdies. On most holes, you won't get punished for bad tee shots.
- Short course means higher emphasis on accuracy than on distance. Average hole length is less than 270.
- Low chance for losing discs. Only holes with any risk are #3 & 12 (creek and thick brush between holes), to the right of #9 and to the left of #18.
Cons: Holes are too close to each other at times. I threw to wrong basket once because baskets were so close.
- Risk of hitting people on other holes seems high when course is crowded.
- Blind shots to several baskets can be good and bad.
Other Thoughts: If you wanted a blueprint for a course that uses the terrain to its best, this is it.
- This course was right in the middle in terms of difficulty. I was very neutral on it. Nothing really wowed me nor bothered me. I was hoping for more holes like #18.
- Most challenging hole is #18. Throwing downhill through a narrow opening in the trees. Hole plays shorter than listed, but the elevation drop increases the chance of disc curving. This was the only hole I stood on the tee and knew a great tee shot was needed to get a par.
- Favorite hole is #16. Loved the scene of throwing over the amphitheater and seats. One of the best views on any disc golf course I've played. NOTE: The photo of #16 on the website is old and doesn't give the full sense of view.

Fun Course

5+    5/20/2007   5/23/2008
Review By: nosajeel99
This review was updated on 4/30/2009
Pros: Earlewood is a semi-wooded course, with just enough trees to be challenging, but still open enough that you don't need precise drives. There are good tee pads and some very memorable holes.

There are some pretty dramatic holes in this course, especially #16 throwing over the amphitheater and #18 a long, downhill, wooded hole. Nice use of elevation and using those hills to make some very nice holes. There is elevation on nearly every hole. Water comes into play on several holes, the most likely hole to get wet is #4 in the small creek running by the basket.

It is pretty easy to find your way around. Most of the tees are within sight of the previous basket.
Cons: The course isn't as challenging as others I have played, but it also isn't frustrating. It is easy to "figure out" this course, meaning after playing a couple of times, you know exactly what you want to throw from a given tee. The course generally has a nice flow, but watch #9 basket to #10 tee... you have to cross #1 fairway to get there. As was mentioned before, this course has fast greens. The "Earlewood Roll" can turn a par into a double-bogey real fast. A lot of the holes are simple 3s, so there isn't much to challenge better players.
Other Thoughts: I played this course a whole lot when I lived in Columbia, so I've had good days and bad days on it. I always had fun playing it, though. I really like what they did with what they had terrain wise with this course and it is one that I feel has "signature holes."

What I think

5/18/2008   5/18/2008
Review By: Newberry7
Pros: Plays through a lot of trees and gives you some difficult shots if you get behind them, has a great finishing hole with 18 being some 380 feet long all down hill, only really able to loose discs on a few holes that are either lined with trees or a lot of underbrush.
Cons: Theater comes into play on 15 and 16, near downtown so it didn't allow the course to spread out a good bit, basketball court is built in the course and I have had people come into the path to the basket and just stand there or long periods of time.
Other Thoughts: Its a good course to practice both long throws and short throws and allows starters to get the feel of the game and how it is played.