Anaheim, CA
Twila-Reid Park Share
Uploaded By: nexanimal Hole #4

Nice Little Nine Holer With Thousands OF Pedestrians!

1    6/19/2014   7/5/2014
Pros: Wow, it's not often when the biggest problem with a course is seemingly endless horde of walkers using the park's sidewalks, even at 06:30 am. I can't even imagine attempting to play this course on a Saturday afternoon or any evening.

Twila-Reid is a fairly large, mostly flat city park which seems to be in a fairly decent neighborhood. The course has these nice, large signs which have a big hole #, distance, Par and a basic route for the hole. There is the standard "Rules of Disc Golf" sign at the beginning. the designers have simply used the park's sidewalks for tee pads. The park has scattered trees to provide most of the challenge. It plays as a basic recreational level course. That is, it's challenging enough for an old REC player such as myself or easy and open enough that you could bring a beginner and they wouldn't get too frustrated. Advanced/Pro players won't find any challenge here. The holes are mostly in the 275' range without much in the way of obstacles. there are a couple of shorter ACE runs such as #8 which is 150'. # 9 sign says it's a 100' but the basket is probably set out at 200'.
Cons: # 9 basket is pretty well beat up. # 6 is currently an older single chain model. @ 2 basket is plastered with various stickers making it look like a Nascar car.
There were many times, even at 6:30 am, when I found myself having to wait for the parade of morning walkers to clear before I was able to throw.
Navigation got a little sketchy after # 6.
Other Thoughts: This is actually a fun little 9 holes. There are a decent variety of throws needed, enough distance and trees to provide challenge for most of us, places to roll and the course loops around to the finish.
A previous reviewer had commented on the navigation issues toward the end of the course. I'll have to agree. I needed some homeless dude to point me in the right direction for holes 7-8-9. I rewarded him with a hit of black tar heroin.
Play early (maybe 4 am) to avoid the crowds and bring some street drugs to reward the homeless.

Not your Average 9 Hole Course

2-4    3/23/2010   3/23/2010
Review By: OcDiscGolf
This review was updated on 4/23/2010
Pros:
In a Large park with adequate restrooms
Park is well maintained and clean with lots of trashcans
Good distance on several holes that surprises you for a 9 Hole course
Elevation change and trees are used extremely creatively - it works well with what it has
Alternate "local" tees actually make it an 18 hole course playing to the same baskets
Good tee signs indicating distance and hole #
Very well thought out lines and angles on almost all the holes - I was pleasantly surprised. Seems like whoever designed it knew what they were doing.
Lights provide night play possibilities!
Homeless people sleeping in the park provide additional obstacles to play around
Very friendly locals who are more than happy to show you around the course
Cons:
The Park is completely packed with non-disc golfers often making several of the holes unplayable. A few holes are right around a popular soccer area and I almost hit soccer players 4 different times
Cars can easily be hit on a few of the holes (Holes 1, 2, and 3)
No official tees - all tees painted on the sidewalk and the paint is fading
A bit of a questionable element in the park, with a police car just hanging out in the parking lot the entire hour and a half I was there. Didn't have any problems at all with the (Non DG'er) locals though - a few people even moved out of the fairway for us to throw.
One dude was playing ball golf to the basket on # 9 and gave us a dirty look when we threw our drives at it.
Twila Reid was my last holdout course in Orange County that I had not played to this point. 12 years of DG in the OC and I just didn't pay attention to what I thought was a pitch and putt wedged into a residential neighborhood in a questionable area. The course surprised me and dashed my preconceived notion that it is a pitch and putt. A few holes play out to 300+, with nothing under 200 feet.

The biggest con at this course is the glut of non disc golfers everywhere - and I do mean everywhere. I played this course at 6PM on a Tuesday with the sun just going down and there were people on every hole with soccer goals setup directly in the fairway of Holes 3 and 5. The people were forcing tunnel shots on several of the Fairways. They seemed to know what we were doing as no one picked up my disc, but they were oblivious to the fact that getting hit by one could injure them. Several people just wanted us to play over/around them, but I am not for getting any blood stains on my pretty green Katana.

What really blew me away with this course is the potential. If I lived closer I would play this one regularly. Compared to other 9 hole courses, this one is great. It is probably best to go either on a weekday mid-morning around noon, and avoid it after work/school when it fills up. Nighttime seems like it might be a good time to play it too. If not for the people factor this would easily be a 3.5 disc course, but the crowding is just epic, more than I have seen at any other course. I was surprised that I was so impressed by this course - the design is great for the space it has to work with.

I really enjoyed Holes 5 and 9, both with slight elevation changes. Hole 9 plays through 2 trees that form a "Field Goal" type of cross bar on a hill, with the basket 100 feet beyond that on another hill. 5 is a downhill shot playing right up to the bridge with no trees in the fairway - great turnover shot. 7 looked like fun too but there was like 40 people in the fairway.

EDIT: played the 18 hole layout here which has alternate local tees. Much better than the standard course. Played at 8pm and it was significantly less crowded. +.5 disc.

Good 9 hole near Knotts.

1    12/11/2009   12/15/2009
Review By: Danger
Pros: -Informative tee signs at every tee, keep an eye on the 'next tee' notation as it can help out, especially toward the end of the course.
-Uses terrain, park layout the best it can, although the hills are no more than 15' high.
-Hole 2 dogleg was a nice little surprise, usually that variety is not found on 9 holes here in LA.
-Baskets were in very good shape.
-For a 9 hole course, we found a good amount of variety in shots, including long shots. Not just a beginner course like so many 9 holes seem to be.
-Two bathrooms, at opposite ends of the parks.
-Very well lit. All baskets except for 8 are easy to see. 8 was still easy to see, just not AS easy.
Cons: -Out of about 10 cars in the parking lot, I think 7 had people sitting in them. That sketches me out a little bit.
-Holes 8 and 9 feel like an afterthought. It is a LONG walk over to 8, just keep going to the other side of the basket-free basketball courts and parking lot.
-I think there is room for a few more holes. Not for 18 total, but at least one or two to get you over to holes 8 and 9 for the sake of course flow.
-OB's marked on maps are kind of weird, I can see them causing debates if the disc lands in a 'grey area.' They are not always based on obvious landmarks.
Other Thoughts: Went to this park after La Mirada closed for a track event. It is only about 10 or 15 minutes away from La Mirada and about 3 minutes away from Knotts Berry Farm.
It was raining off and on, so our impression of the park is probably a little different, however we did not find crowds to be a problem. A few holes played over picnic benches (notably hole 2), so they may become unplayable.
We noticed a good amount of people just kind of hanging around, despite the rain. It left the impression on us that the neighborhood is less than favorable, but the park and the homes around it look nice so I don't know for sure.
I gave this a 3 rating because so far, it has been the most legit 9 hole course in the LA area that we have visited. There are long bombs, short holes, a dogleg, pins on hills, pins behind trees, and creative tee off areas. So many other 9 holes are just pitch and putt, and this one was not.
I saw a tee 13 which indicates to me that there is a 'locals 18.' Did not see any other 'beyond 9' tees though, however based on the park layout I have no doubt that there are more. The holes are all very spread out and do not feel crammed in, which was also a pleasant surprise. Next time I am at Knotts or even Disneyland, or just in northern OC in general, I will probably stop by again, I had an enjoyable time here.

Best Shorty in OC

5+    3/4/2009   3/9/2009
Review By: pokamitch
This review was updated on 4/28/2010
Pros: Just plain fun!! Quick 9 hole course to get a fix when ya need it. Long hole placements for the shorter holes.

All tees are concrete. New tee signs for the "Original" course. Most holes are in decent shape. Cool, small local scene.

One thing I will always say about these lil neighborhood 9'rs they can make some awesome guerilla courses (see below). So the potential for some good fun is always there
Cons: Mostly wide open. Not challenging enough. Can get very crowded on weekends/ afternoons with park goers. Not disc golf exclusive area
Other Thoughts: I have played this course for over 15 years, so I am a lil partial to it. I have made a decent 18 hole track to follow. Has made it much more fun/ challenging. I would give it a 3.5 if you play my 18 and figure-in that you can play at night here (which I love doing!!), but a 2 if I took the course as is. Therefore, it is a 3.0...objectively

The "shaddy" people that hang around here are far from that. Most are just homeless and ran into some hard times. As a matter of fact, I never lock my truck and leave my keys, wallet, phone, etc in my truck and park it next to them. Why? Because they keep an eye on it for me..... since they are so shaddy

Restrooms on each end of the course. Plenty of trash cans.

Favorite Holes:

My Guerilla #1 (green paint). Tee off just NE of the restrooms on path, about 230+' straight at # 8 on hill surrounded by trees. Tree to the right is OB to keep people out of the parking lot. It has 3 teeepads for 2 other shots as well

My Guerilla # 7. 2 teepads that make 2 completely different shots. The short is a RHBH spike about 180' with an "island" green. The long throw is about twice as far with a slightly narrow fairway and the hole guarded by a large tree

If you want to try the 18 hole track I laid out, PM me and I'll make arrangements to guide you