8 Helpful / 1 Not
Best Shorty in OC
Pros: Just plain fun!! Quick 9 hole course to get a fix when ya need it. Long hole placements for the shorter holes.
All tees are concrete. New tee signs for the "Original" course. Most holes are in decent shape. Cool, small local scene.
One thing I will always say about these lil neighborhood 9'rs they can make some awesome guerilla courses (see below). So the potential for some good fun is always there
Cons: Mostly wide open. Not challenging enough. Can get very crowded on weekends/ afternoons with park goers. Not disc golf exclusive area
Other Thoughts: I have played this course for over 15 years, so I am a lil partial to it. I have made a decent 18 hole track to follow. Has made it much more fun/ challenging. I would give it a 3.5 if you play my 18 and figure-in that you can play at night here (which I love doing!!), but a 2 if I took the course as is. Therefore, it is a 3.0...objectively
The "shaddy" people that hang around here are far from that. Most are just homeless and ran into some hard times. As a matter of fact, I never lock my truck and leave my keys, wallet, phone, etc in my truck and park it next to them. Why? Because they keep an eye on it for me..... since they are so shaddy
Restrooms on each end of the course. Plenty of trash cans.
My Guerilla #1 (green paint). Tee off just NE of the restrooms on path, about 230+' straight at # 8 on hill surrounded by trees. Tree to the right is OB to keep people out of the parking lot. It has 3 teeepads for 2 other shots as well
My Guerilla # 7. 2 teepads that make 2 completely different shots. The short is a RHBH spike about 180' with an "island" green. The long throw is about twice as far with a slightly narrow fairway and the hole guarded by a large tree
If you want to try the 18 hole track I laid out, PM me and I'll make arrangements to guide you
8 of 9 people found this review helpful.
5 Helpful / 3 Not
Needed help to figure out
Pros: -The park itself is very nice and definitely has plenty of amenities for a nice day
-Well manicured grass
-The fact that it has lights for evening play is GREAT!
-The people were extremely nice and would move if you ask (they even said encouraging remarks when I threw one into a tree)
-Lastly, the local players are extremely friendly and helpful
Cons: -The signage is completely wrong and makes it almost unplayable, unless you have a guide
-Basket One is missing?! I ended up shooting at a light pole instead
-People are nice but when its busy it can get a little dangerous
-All the baskets are not the same type which can really throw off your putting
Other Thoughts: I was in the area so I decided to stop by and throw a round, but when I got there, I didn't know where to start. The signage was all defaced and some of the baskets had the wrong numbers. I was lucky to find a local player that showed me around. After you get the layout, it's not that bad.
I returned later that night to throw one more round and I was please to see how lighted it was. Hole 8 & 9 could need one or two more lights but unless you throw a horrible shot, you should be able to find your disc.
5 of 8 people found this review helpful.
11 Helpful / 0 Not
OK once you figure it out, local knowledge needed
Pros: - pretty park
- local to a large part of L.A.
- friendly local players are happy to help you figure out the course
- soccer players are happy to move if they are practicing on the fairway
Cons: - course is hard to figure out, 1st tee is a long way from the sign, there are some long walks between holes, and two holes are reversed. See notes on how to play this course
- local pitch-n-putt, most holes are short with few obstacles
- course was laid out with holes #8 and #9 reversed, see notes on how to find and play these holes
- some of the tee markers are defaced, point the wrong way, or are incorrect
- park is busy with soccer practice around 5-6 pm, play earlier or later (lights) to avoid crowds
Other Thoughts: How to play this course:
- To locate 1st tee, start at park sign and look east to find tee sign, then from tee sign walk to sidewalk approx 30' south to locate two small corner markings spray painted on sidewalk indicating front edge of 1st tee (see photos). The "real" first basket was removed, so we use basket #6 for holes #1 and #6. You'll see it straight ahead from the first tee markers on the sidewalk.
- 2nd tee is in between the tee and basket for hole #1 and the 2nd basket is a dogleg to the left around the fire station back fence. Take two discs -- shoot tee shots for #1, then on the way shoot tee shots for #2 before continuing with hole #1
- 3rd tee and basket are easy to find walking south (away from Orange)
- 4th tee is a longish walk south on park sidewalk from basket 3 and the sign has been broken out of the holder, look for the empty frame on a pole by the sidewalk
- 5th tee faces the wrong way, basket is back north to the east/right of the south foot bridge
- 6th tee is by the south foot bridge and shoots north toward the other foot bridge
- 7th tee is across the north foot bridge from basket 6 and shoots back toward south foot bridge
- 8th tee is all the way on the other side of the park. Walk west along park sidewalk past playground and park buildings until you come to a basket marked #8 on a mound encircled by the sidewalk
- holes 8 and 9 are marked backwards, the basket marked 8 is actually for the 9th hole
- the tee sign by the basket marked 8 says it's for hole 9, but play it as 8 -- locals have painted the REAL tee box for #8 on the sidewalk to the right of the "official" tee sign marked 9
- shoot #8 from the sidewalk tee box north to the basket by the horseshoe pits and NW parking lot
- shoot #9 from the defaced tee by the horseshoe pits, back to the basket marked 8
Once you know how to play this course, it's a fun, short course to practice. It's probably not worth traveling to, but if you're in the area, it's a lovely little park and a fun little course. The locals here are very friendly. Print these instructions to take with you, maps are not available and the course is difficult to follow.
11 of 11 people found this review helpful.
2 Helpful / 5 Not
not a go to if your planning a trip
Pros: random doubles on wednesday nights, lighted
Cons: pitch and putt
Other Thoughts: huge field to practice at other than that it's a pretty small course with very little challenge,
2 of 7 people found this review helpful.
Join Disc Golf Course Review
for free to add your review. Have an account already? Sign In
to add a review.