Anaheim, CA

Great with kids

5+    11/27/2010   11/29/2010
Review By: DookieHyzer
This review was updated on 12/11/2010
Pros: The park is easy to find.
Parking is plentiful.
Short course, kid friendly.
Everything is clearly marked.
Just enough challenge to keep things interesting.
NIGHT GOLF!!!!
Cons: Gets crowded with non-golfers in the late morning and stays that way til sundown.
Flat course that is prone to wind.
Some shots are over busy sidewalks.
Other Thoughts: This is a fun little course that is great for first timers and smaller kids. I will definately be back.

Decent 9er

1    8/16/2010   8/30/2010
Review By: mashnut
Pros: The course plays through a grassy city park with some scattered areas of trees. There are a couple minor elevation changes that come into play and add some interest. The trees available are used well to make some nice lines, the variety of hole shapes here surprised me compared to the other 9 holers around the area. There is a nice balance of shorter and longer holes here.
Cons: There are no defined tees, some seem to be next to the tee signs on sidewalks or sloped grassy areas, and some seem to be some distance away from the actual sign. There are also some alternate tees marked around the park, probably a fun addition for locals but it adds to the tee confusion. The baskets and tee signs were in poor shape, the only real evidence of it being a less than stellar neighborhood (all the locals we ran into including non dg-ers were very friendly). Several holes conflict with picnic areas and walking paths which could be a safety issue on a nice day. We were there on a gray not very nice day and still had to throw around several picnics, I imagine that a sunny summer day would be significantly worse.
Other Thoughts: This is one of the better 9 hole courses around the area, especially in terms of design. It does, however, share the same issue of overlapping with lots of other park uses in a busy park, and that's one big thing that brings my ratings down in general. It's a great course for people learning the sport, with reasonable distances and not too much punishment for errant shots, but enough challenge that you'll need some different shots. More experienced players won't find it all that challenging, but there's enough variety to make it interesting when you can play on a non-crowded day.

Rush Hour Course

2-4    7/2/2010   7/5/2010
Review By: Twinskulls
This review was updated on 7/14/2010
Pros: Easy to follow... Mostly open with some big trees as obstacles. Big and clean park with amenities. They have lights for night play! It probably best time to play due to less crowd.
Cons: It is a public park. The park usually is crowded, I mean really crowded!, I had to skip few holes due to crowded non-disc golf people. That's only con about this course.
Other Thoughts: I recommend you to try play there during non-peak hours such as early morning or night with less crowd people.

Not your Average 9 Hole Course

2-4    3/23/2010   3/23/2010
Review By: OcDiscGolf
This review was updated on 4/23/2010
Pros:
In a Large park with adequate restrooms
Park is well maintained and clean with lots of trashcans
Good distance on several holes that surprises you for a 9 Hole course
Elevation change and trees are used extremely creatively - it works well with what it has
Alternate "local" tees actually make it an 18 hole course playing to the same baskets
Good tee signs indicating distance and hole #
Very well thought out lines and angles on almost all the holes - I was pleasantly surprised. Seems like whoever designed it knew what they were doing.
Lights provide night play possibilities!
Homeless people sleeping in the park provide additional obstacles to play around
Very friendly locals who are more than happy to show you around the course
Cons:
The Park is completely packed with non-disc golfers often making several of the holes unplayable. A few holes are right around a popular soccer area and I almost hit soccer players 4 different times
Cars can easily be hit on a few of the holes (Holes 1, 2, and 3)
No official tees - all tees painted on the sidewalk and the paint is fading
A bit of a questionable element in the park, with a police car just hanging out in the parking lot the entire hour and a half I was there. Didn't have any problems at all with the (Non DG'er) locals though - a few people even moved out of the fairway for us to throw.
One dude was playing ball golf to the basket on # 9 and gave us a dirty look when we threw our drives at it.
Twila Reid was my last holdout course in Orange County that I had not played to this point. 12 years of DG in the OC and I just didn't pay attention to what I thought was a pitch and putt wedged into a residential neighborhood in a questionable area. The course surprised me and dashed my preconceived notion that it is a pitch and putt. A few holes play out to 300+, with nothing under 200 feet.

The biggest con at this course is the glut of non disc golfers everywhere - and I do mean everywhere. I played this course at 6PM on a Tuesday with the sun just going down and there were people on every hole with soccer goals setup directly in the fairway of Holes 3 and 5. The people were forcing tunnel shots on several of the Fairways. They seemed to know what we were doing as no one picked up my disc, but they were oblivious to the fact that getting hit by one could injure them. Several people just wanted us to play over/around them, but I am not for getting any blood stains on my pretty green Katana.

What really blew me away with this course is the potential. If I lived closer I would play this one regularly. Compared to other 9 hole courses, this one is great. It is probably best to go either on a weekday mid-morning around noon, and avoid it after work/school when it fills up. Nighttime seems like it might be a good time to play it too. If not for the people factor this would easily be a 3.5 disc course, but the crowding is just epic, more than I have seen at any other course. I was surprised that I was so impressed by this course - the design is great for the space it has to work with.

I really enjoyed Holes 5 and 9, both with slight elevation changes. Hole 9 plays through 2 trees that form a "Field Goal" type of cross bar on a hill, with the basket 100 feet beyond that on another hill. 5 is a downhill shot playing right up to the bridge with no trees in the fairway - great turnover shot. 7 looked like fun too but there was like 40 people in the fairway.

EDIT: played the 18 hole layout here which has alternate local tees. Much better than the standard course. Played at 8pm and it was significantly less crowded. +.5 disc.

Good 9 hole near Knotts.

1    12/11/2009   12/15/2009
Review By: Danger
Pros: -Informative tee signs at every tee, keep an eye on the 'next tee' notation as it can help out, especially toward the end of the course.
-Uses terrain, park layout the best it can, although the hills are no more than 15' high.
-Hole 2 dogleg was a nice little surprise, usually that variety is not found on 9 holes here in LA.
-Baskets were in very good shape.
-For a 9 hole course, we found a good amount of variety in shots, including long shots. Not just a beginner course like so many 9 holes seem to be.
-Two bathrooms, at opposite ends of the parks.
-Very well lit. All baskets except for 8 are easy to see. 8 was still easy to see, just not AS easy.
Cons: -Out of about 10 cars in the parking lot, I think 7 had people sitting in them. That sketches me out a little bit.
-Holes 8 and 9 feel like an afterthought. It is a LONG walk over to 8, just keep going to the other side of the basket-free basketball courts and parking lot.
-I think there is room for a few more holes. Not for 18 total, but at least one or two to get you over to holes 8 and 9 for the sake of course flow.
-OB's marked on maps are kind of weird, I can see them causing debates if the disc lands in a 'grey area.' They are not always based on obvious landmarks.
Other Thoughts: Went to this park after La Mirada closed for a track event. It is only about 10 or 15 minutes away from La Mirada and about 3 minutes away from Knotts Berry Farm.
It was raining off and on, so our impression of the park is probably a little different, however we did not find crowds to be a problem. A few holes played over picnic benches (notably hole 2), so they may become unplayable.
We noticed a good amount of people just kind of hanging around, despite the rain. It left the impression on us that the neighborhood is less than favorable, but the park and the homes around it look nice so I don't know for sure.
I gave this a 3 rating because so far, it has been the most legit 9 hole course in the LA area that we have visited. There are long bombs, short holes, a dogleg, pins on hills, pins behind trees, and creative tee off areas. So many other 9 holes are just pitch and putt, and this one was not.
I saw a tee 13 which indicates to me that there is a 'locals 18.' Did not see any other 'beyond 9' tees though, however based on the park layout I have no doubt that there are more. The holes are all very spread out and do not feel crammed in, which was also a pleasant surprise. Next time I am at Knotts or even Disneyland, or just in northern OC in general, I will probably stop by again, I had an enjoyable time here.

The best night golf around!

5+    11/26/2009   12/1/2009
Review By: Apothecary
Pros: -LIGHTS! very well-lit for your night-golf needs!
-friendly locals. always handing out compliments from the picnic benches and happy to show you around.
-moderate difficulty and all sorts of shots needed to play the course successfully
-great layout and use of terrain. holes 3 and 4 have you bobbing and weaving through the tall trees. practicing low shots and big hyzers are recommended before playing.
-restrooms at 2 places along the course
-great picnic and bbq area
Cons: -hole 8 has poor lighting and eats many a disc at night
-apparently there are quite a few fights there between some essays and golfers. i havnt personally witnessed anything but love over there though.
-course gets wet at night. bring a rag!
-baskets disappear from time to time
-signs could use work as they give you a general idea, but some are inaccurate. makes night golf hard when you cant see the pin.
-for people new to the course, its a little tricky to find your way around
-a few of the baskets could use some work with a mallet.
-only 9 holes
-no golf center
Other Thoughts: I have only played this course at night. the lighting is the best around for night golf, but make sure youre good at tracking your discs if you play there at night. the locals are some of the most welcoming, gracious hosts i have come across. they are generally more than happy to show you where the holes are and, if you ask nicely, they might even show you the monster course!

1    9/12/2009   9/12/2009
Review By: Lhana
Pros: Challenging,nice distances. Has a map of each hole at tee off. Some wooded areas. FREE. There is a man that walks around selling corn and ices. YUM
Cons: It is a public park so there are some people walking around. Came close to hitting a few. Hole 8 and 9 are on the other side of the park, behind and bathrooms.
Other Thoughts: Fun course. Close to Knotts if anyone is there and wants to come play

New Signage 09/06/09

5+    9/6/2009   9/6/2009
Review By: opizzao
Pros: This park recently got brand new signs. The signs are currently in excellent condition. Both tee and basket signs are now crystal clear. Anyone who may have recently steered clear of this course due to poor signs should give it another chance. In addition, basket one has returned! All 9 baskets now exist. Play on weekdays only.
Cons: Don't even bother playing this course during weekend. Huge groups of non-golfers await you on every hole and flight-path thereto, including live mariachi bands. Also, the brand new basket #1 is already deformed/warped. The sad reality is that the new signs will likely not last long in the gang-ridden neighborhood.
Other Thoughts: It's a good park overall when it's not too crowded with non-golfers. Park has never been too crowded with other golfers in my experiences. I feel the course is not too easy (like Deerfield or Liberty Park are), and a nice break from (albeit a step down from) Huntington, La Mirada and El Dorado. It's a good practice field.

Need a guide

1    8/19/2009   8/20/2009
Review By: coast2coast
Pros: Nice park that is mostly open with some large trees.
Cons: Only 8 baskets (#6 used twice). Extremely hard to follow. Tee signs are useless. Markings on the sidewalk are confusing because there are at least two different layouts that the locals play. Park is heavily used by non-golfers.
Other Thoughts: The course is there, but unless you have a guide or good directions from tee to tee I would skip this one. There are to many good courses in the area for this one to compete.

In Need Of TLC

1    5/27/2009   5/27/2009
Review By: TalbotTrojan
Pros: Course is in a very nice park setting, some holes provide for a unique challenge. There appears to be a local crowd that loves this course as they are trying to make the most out of what is there. There are at least 11 playable holes. There are lights so that you can play at night.
Cons: Tee signs are in horrible disrepair, I counted one that was actual useable. Markings on walkways for tee pads are hard to find especially for those holes that are currently missing signs. The course is built right through several high traffic areas, including one hole that goes straight through a basketball court. There are only 8 baskets there currently and many holes play to the same basket. The course is on the short side as only a couple of holes are longer than 300 ft. The layout makes very little sense as far as flow of play is concerned. Baskets are not in the best shape.
Other Thoughts: I am so glad that when I came to this course that I ran into some guys that I know from playing in tournaments. Without them I would have been completely lost on this course. I parked in the back parking lot on the course and this put me very far away from the course so be sure to park in the lot that is right on Orange. First tee is near the firehouse though the origional first hole basket is no longer there, play to #6. I am glad that I played this course once, but will probably never come back here to be honest. If you live near here, you may as well go to La Mirada or El Dorado. The way the course is now, there needs to be some work done to make it of much value. You will also need to make sure that if you are going to play this course to go at a time when foot traffic is at a minimum, the good news is that you should be able to figure out when this will be the case.