Phoenix, AZ

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6
Buffalo Ridge dgc

2-4    2/2/2016   3/29/2016
Review By: laurenalexDG
Pros: •(only played 18 layout) Desert Mtn course that plays up and down the side of a rocky ridge, lots of short cacti and pokey trees making you need good placement.

•Pin positions were cool some raised ground baskets and some tough to putt at with the low lying trees

•Water and restrooms before hole 1 is nice

•Decent signs and fairly easy to navigate with good tee pads

•Lizards are there
Cons: • Rough terrain may mess up your plastic

• Some janky baskets

• Some repetitive shots
Other Thoughts: Could use some work but being from MN it was really fun playing a true desert course w/good elevation changes

Not the DGC I would bring a friend to

1    12/25/2015   12/25/2015
Review By: alexbridgeforth
Pros: There is baskets out there. Any course is better than no course.

The hills add a nice variety of shots and make it more interesting than just throwing a drive out and then an up shot then putting in a short putt.
Cons: Par is totally off. You walk up to a hole that is 450+ and should be a par 4 not 3. I would like to see how a 1000 rated player does out there and see them get pissed off because it is off.

There are ZERO fairways. I'm used to a disc golf course that plays like a pro golf course. Even desert golf courses have fairways and are enjoyable to play.

The baskets SUCK. The money used on the "new" 9 holes should have been put toward making the first 18 holes better, including their baskets.

Too many blind shots, it feels like you can't see the pins half the shots and there are 2 to 5 different pin positions for each hole and there is no marking showing you what pin position it is currently in. So you are stuck walking out and finding the pin before you throw your drive.

Many of the "fairways" are used side by side with holes shooting back at you. This could be very dangerous as players from other holes move forward to throw their second shot.

Not a course I would ever bring someone brand new too. I am a 850 rated player and did terrible out there.

There are no lanes for throwing. All this course requires is you to have a bit of good aim and big arm to get some birdies. If you don't have an arm don't expect birdies here.

Tee pads are not well marked and are a bit hidden at some points, not much of complaint because each prior holes sign tells you where the next tee pads are.
Other Thoughts: This type of course is why Disc Golf will never grow to be respectable. It is frustrating when it feels like tee pads and baskets are just strewn about the desert and there is zero fairway and zero golf course feeling.

1    5/2/2015   5/14/2015
Review By: josephreese
Pros: This was my first time playing a proper desert course, and I liked it. The locals I joined warned me about the rough terrain, and how it would eat up my discs, but I didn't realize how bad it would be. After a few throws with soft plastic I switched to the harder stuff. One one long throw I was expecting a skip, but as it disappeared behind a bush I just heard a loud "thunk" as it hit a rock and stopped dead.

I was shown a "secret" alternate tee pad near the end of the lettered holes, where we had a nice view and a fun throw down to the basket.

There is ample parking. There are bathrooms and water near the beginning/ending of the course, but be sure to bring plenty of water to drink during your round. As you would expect, it gets hot.

Be sure to play the 9 lettered holes. They add elevation changes and some terrain challenges not available in the 18 numbered holes.

I played fairly early on Saturday, and the course was not crowded.
Cons: The lack of trees made most holes friendly to whatever shape you wanted to throw. I prefer a couple of clear lines, with varying risk and reward for each, but that's not really possible here. It's no fault of the course designer, who did a nice job with what was available.
Other Thoughts: I played in May, and by the middle of my 27-hole round it was pretty hot for this California kid. Play early unless you like the heat.

Rainy Morning In The Desert!

1    3/19/2015   3/19/2015
Pros: How could I be so fortunate as to show up at Buffalo Ridge on one of the few mornings when Phoenix experienced a rain shower? So after sloshing around for the first 5-6 holes, getting totally soaked and cold, I was finally able to settle in and enjoy the course. The letter holes A-I were definitely the highlight of the course for me. I felt they were just a step above the original 18 in terms of challenge and interest. I had been told by many players down here about what a hike/workout this was going to be. I was fully expecting to be going up and down this down this mountain a time or two not just just skirting around the periminter.

There's only so much you can do with the design when you don't have trees and/or much elevation to contend with. As previous reviewers have noted, it's hard to get into serious trouble on this course due to the fact that even if you shank your drive badly, you still should be able to be in position to lay and par the hole.
Cons: I found the navigation to be a little tricky in a number of places. Having the the next tee arrow on the tee sign is helpful but I always seem to remember to look for it when I've finished putting out. A little late then. I would love to see some simple little rock arrows like someone has placed at Red Mountain or little concrete block signs like Paseo Vista has.
The desert terrain eats up discs.
Other Thoughts: As usual, I'm agreeing with Mashnut's expert opinion that I enjoyed the desert scenery but the disc golf didn't rock my world. It's definitely a course to play in the early morning hours. It's a nice little workout. Sturdy shoes and water are a must. And it'll probably do wonders for your self-esteem as most players should score well here.

Great desert course

2-4    2/11/2015   3/17/2015
Review By: stratedge
Pros: Although it's a desert course, there's a lot less "up and over" shots here than you'd expect. There are a fair number of trees, and the brush is high and thick. Placement of the tee pads and baskets make good use of the available natural obstacles and the terrain. The "letter holes" that added an additional 9 holes to the original 18 are superior and really take the course up a notch, so if you don't play the full 27, make sure you play these holes. Many of the baskets have tall flags above them so that you can see where you're aiming even if the basket is hidden, which I really like. Lots of drastic elevation changes, a couple of really fun and challenging downhill shots. Great tee pads and basic facilities on site.
Cons: I've never described a course as hard to navigate before, but I am now. This course is very hard to navigate. I showed up by myself with the map in hand, and just finding the first tee and basket took like 5 minutes. Fortunately, wandering around the first hole let me to meet some locals and get a guided tour. As we progressed through the course, I couldn't imagine having done it by myself. The tees are hard to spot because there's so much brush you have to be close before it's visible. This course needs someone to make a better map, badly. All that having been said, there were enough people playing middle of the day on a weekday, that someone should help show you the way fairly quickly.

Tip: If you look at the course on Google maps satellite view, you can make out the tee pads from above pretty easy. Use this on your phone while there to figure out where the next tee pad is relative to you. Tall flags near the tee pads to mark them, like the baskets, would be really useful... though I guess local DGCs aren't particularly focussed on making the course they already know like the back of their hand easier to navigate.

Other than that, not much to complain about. As usual, desert courses will really beat in your discs fast.
Other Thoughts: This course isn't going to knock your socks off, especially not the regular 18 numbered holes, but you will enjoy it. It's worth a drive out if you're in the Phoenix area, and makes a good day trip in combination with Fountain Hills. I think behind Fountain Hills and Maricopa Meadows, it's the 3rd best course I've played in the area.

Goes without saying, but bring lots of water, and a phone with a data connection for access to satellite maps. Or, until a better map appears, try approaching a local for some guidance, everyone I met was (as usual) really friendly and helpful.

Desert course

1    1/5/2015   2/12/2015
Review By: thespeedokid
Pros: It's a good desert course. 27 holes. Good distances. Nice elevation changes. Not many people play it. Good hole signs. Alternate baskets. The baskets are in good condition.
Cons: No trees. Hard to find tees. Its a desert course which I personally don't care to much for. (I like grass).
Other Thoughts: Good course if you know where the tees are. I spent a lot of time hunting them down.

The ridge will grow hair on your chest!

5+    2/4/2015   2/9/2015
Review By: DaRk CReePs
Pros: The guys who take care of this course do a superb job all around. It has been my home course since i started throwing three years ago. There are a big variety of hole lengths, some throwing off of cliffs. Also, hiking up and down the mountain is great for your cardio.
Cons: Like any true desert course, your discs will take a beating at the ridge.

Awesome course, worth the drive

2-4    1/4/2014   5/15/2014
Review By: Outdoor Craziness
Pros: The elevation change: you can't throw off a mountain on any of the other courses in Phoenix!

The openness: you have unobstructed views of the basket (and your disc) for all 27 baskets. I've never lost a disc out here!
Cons: The landscape: the rocks will definitely scuff up your discs.

The location: I've had trouble getting to the course using the 101, as there's no exit for Union Hills. Turns out you can just get off the 101 about a block early either way and take the frontage road to Union Hills.

The layout: if you're just playing the standard 18 baskets, then it shouldn't be too hard to find your way (except for 1-4, those are a little challenging). However, the extra 9 baskets on the north side of the park can be difficult to navigate - bring a map if you can.

The pedestrians: there's plenty of joggers and walkers in the park, please don't hit them!
Other Thoughts: It's always a great time at Buffalo Ridge Park!

Wide open spaces

1    9/21/2013   11/8/2013
Review By: mashnut
Pros: The course plays through a large rocky park with no real conflict from other park uses. There is some nice elevation, with the middle section of the course playing on the side of a large hill. That makes for some fun downhill shots and some tricky uphill shots. There are a couple throws across the hill as well, with the chance to fade or roll down the hill if you don't land your shot correctly. A couple cool pin positions make for some challenge in the short game with rollaway potential as well.

Some of the pins are placed well, using the low brush as a better obstacle than I expected. There's some length variety, with a few ace runs and a few holes where most players will pull out a max distance driver. The tees and baskets show a little age, but are in fine shape.
Cons: This course is wide open. You can throw whatever your favorite shot is on every single hole out here and score just fine. Nothing forces you to shape any different lines, and there's no punishment for even really bad shanks. You can recover for a 3 from anywhere with no trees and no rough that's tall or thick enough to force creative recoveries. Even the holes with elevation feel pretty repetitive when you're just throwing up and down the same hill over and over.

There's a lot of broken glass throughout the course, as well as some areas where trash has been dumped. The signage is inconsistent at best, navigation is pretty tough without a map or local guide. Several of the holes play really close to one another, especially a few holes on the added loop of 9 letter holes.
Other Thoughts: Beginners are going to find this course a little long but very approachable with no real punishment for a lack of accuracy. More experienced players can use this course to work on placing hyzer shots, but won't find much of a test of other disc golf skills. I liked the desert scenery here, the disc golf just wasn't very exciting.

Great course and people

5+    9/12/2013   9/12/2013
Review By: jthacker48
Pros: This is my new "home" course. It has 27 holes now. The group of guys that manage and play the course regularly really do a great job of keeping things fresh and clean. It's got beautiful views as you get up the side of the ridge. Offers a great experience of the desert. Lots of wildlife (lizards, quail, rabbits, and occasional snake). Core group plays regularly. They are very friendly and very talented.
Cons: Until you know the layout, it can be difficult to find your way around. Nothing more can be done to help though. It's just the nature of a desert course. Discs can get pretty beat up too. Once again, just the result of any desert course.
Other Thoughts: Being new to the sport, I'd only played Vista del Camino before moving north. It took a little getting used to but now that I have, I absolutely love it. I'd definitely recommend it. Give it a shot, and see if it's your cup of tea.

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6