Tuscaloosa, AL
Bowers Park Share
Uploaded By: BennettUA Hole #9 (Taken 4/2010)
Hole #9 Tee: "BEARDEN LANE"

Average Course

1    6/23/2012   7/6/2012
Review By: bpartrid
Pros: *Pretty cool tee signs
*3 tee boxes for each hole
*Many pin positions
*Potential
Cons: *Did not stick to one pin position for all holes
*3 holes in open to 15 in woods
*ill conceived long tee box shots
*throw and hope for the best for many holes
*Needs next tee direction signs
*POISON IVY
Other Thoughts: This is a good to very good course (at best). If rated higher, then that person hasn't been to quality courses. I live in Birmingham and there are at least 3 better courses merely in the Birmingham area to choose from. If you want a good wooded course then just go to Inverness (indigo) or trussville instead

Tuscaloosa leech

1    3/27/2011   3/28/2011
Review By: Josh The Leech Long
Pros: This course was extremely well put together.with clearly marked holes and signs pointing towards the next tee. Compared to some of the other parks where it is entirely likely to miss a hole, this hike through the woods lacks any path confusion

A beautiful hiking trip through the woods of Bowers Park with truly picturesque surroundings. The creeks were presenting a water hazard on a few holes but they were not disc guzzlers.

Fantastic replay value! The baskets are cycling through a three position rotation and this time through I was shooting on C position. Combine this with the fact that there are three tee offs and you find yourself with a course that can present 9 possible routes!

One of my favorite holes that I played on and to date my most favorite hole yet is Hole 18. An amazing shot downhill and then uphill, (or just straight across the ravine if your a professional I'd wager), to extend this 250+ ft. beauty.

A lot of the holes required some maximum arch with precise shots, bending through a dense copse of trees. This requires some real finesse and I find it as a novice to be one of the more challenging and rewarding experiences thus far.

Cons: Wear long pants. If you like taking the long route to save a favorite disc or just OCD like me and try to salvage all your discs, you will need pants traversing the woods. Stickers and poison ivy are abundant through the trail!

Basket color. The baskets for the most part were grey and silver or very dark blue that made it difficult to see when against a backdrop of green foliage. I would suggest yellow to the groundskeepers if there is ever an opportunity to upgrade baskets.

The only real other fault that I could find with this place would be that it is so far from New Orleans! Man I wish I could play this course every weekend! A great time!
Other Thoughts: This will be the third park that I have played since I started about a month ago. The other two mainly being Lafreniere and City Park in Louisiana. There is little room for imagination and as a novice I found myself appreciating both the mid range disc and sacrificing on power for more control.

Truly a great course! If your ever driving through Tuscaloosa you should stop on by!

Underrated Amazing Course

1    11/29/2010   12/2/2010
Review By: Natedog565
Pros: This is one of the best courses I've ever played; only DeLaveaga Park in Santa Cruz, CA has been better.

Excellent use of Multiple Tee pads
Excellent use of Multiple Basket placements
These combine to make the course extremely challenging or good for beginners
A variety of throws are needed
A variety of distances and use of elevation
Isolated and only used for disc golf
Nice restrooms
Excellent signage, always a "next tee" sign
Nice course flow that is easy to follow, albeit a lot of walking is required
Cons: 37th street did not have sign (its the first light)

I don't mind, but the woods frame every basket so that you really have no "choice" of throw, you either make the one window/alley or you don't.

One hole was pure luck because of all the trees, and the first 3 baskets are nothing to brag about.
Other Thoughts: The first 3 baskets are really a warm-up. I liked the fact that few trash cans were out there, it gave the course more of a natural-hike sort of feel. The carpet tee pads are not that bad... The creek crossing are not that bad, you may have to backtrack a little to use the nice, fresh-wood bridges.

If you are passing through on I-59/20, you should play this underrated and amazing course.

This is a quality course done right with a lot of thought - excellent job!

Great Course

5+    11/8/2010   11/9/2010
Review By: CGarcia
Pros: Fun course for most levels of players.

Course:
Multiple tees offer differing lengths and/or challenges for different levels of players. There is a true difference between the pro tees, the regular tees, and the am tees on most holes.
Multiple Pin locations change play severely. I went out and played on Oct 31 when pins were at location "A" and finished at +8. The next day, I arrived to see that pins had changed to "C" and proceeded to stop keeping score because I was doing so poorly.
Signs helpful.
Friendly locals (mostly college students)
Fun to hike around.

Shots:
Varied shots, open shot on 1, lightly wooded on 2 and 3, then heavily wooded for the remainder. Water comes into play.
Good variation between FH and BH throws.
Good distance variety.
Good use of elevation.
New bridges for creek crossing in most wanted locations.
Cons: One creek crossing point needs to be improved (though it'd be really hard to build a bridge there).
Signage could be better (tee signs and course navigation).
Mud is an issue after it rains.
LOTS of underbrush/fallen leaves. Not hard to lose a disc if you throw out of the fairway.
Might be too much of a hike for some people, but I thoroughly enjoy it.
Other Thoughts: Located in a park with multiple Gazebos, playgrounds, baseball fields, and a pool. Plenty of entertainment for any non-golfers you may travel with.
Really fun course with great holes, though none are signature, I thoroughly enjoy 9 (uphill shot over a very large fallen tree), 10 (big downhill shot), and 13 (downhill shot over the creek). 13 in pin position "C" is a ~400ft anhyzer shot (for RHBH throwers).

If you're driving down 59/20, you should DEFINITELY stop by for a round.

Great course!

1    10/2/2010   10/17/2010
Review By: stsren
Pros:
1. Variety of shots required (or recommended)
2. Variety of distances (from the 200's to 300+)
3. Excellent use of elevation
4. Situated in a nice park, but doesn't interfere with other park activities
5. Restroom facilities are good
6. Multiple pads
7. Multiple basket placement
8. Good signage (including "Next Tee" signs)
Cons:
1. Carpet tee pads ( I prefer concrete )
2. Limited garbage cans on course
3. Creek crossings are less than ideal
Other Thoughts: Overall I thought this course was excellent! In fact, I played 4 courses in the Birmingham / Tuscaloosa area, and Bower's Park was definitely the best. The overall flow of the course is great; it's fairly easy to find your way along the well worn paths in the woods. The rolling hills are nice, and there was (for me) just the right mix of open throws with wooded obstacles. There's a nice variety of throwing uphill, downhill, and over valleys. Water does come in play, but it's only a shallow creek (at least it was when I was there, could get high water in the spring or rainy season, I suppose). I played the long tees except for 1 hole, where I got "lost" and threw from one of the alternates (I later backtracked and found the long tee box without difficulty). There happened to be nobody else out there when I was playing - Saturday morning on an Alabama football game day, so I found the park to be very peaceful. My only suggestions would be to improve the creek crossings, add some trash receptacles at a few of the tee boxes, and chip away at putting in concrete tee pads. Overall, I had a great experience and wouldn't hesitate to play this park again!

Loved It

1    10/16/2010   10/16/2010
Review By: ibekent
This review was updated on 10/22/2010
Pros: This course feels cared for. The extra-large carpet tees are flat and solid. The baskets are all in good shape. Each hole has multiple tees and pins. Major elevation changes, OB water in gullies that criss-cross the course, and shots that let your discs soar over valleys make for a series of just great shots. The first few fairways are mostly open. The rest cut through tall pines with minimal underbrush.

Quality signs, benches, bridges, and landscaping steps are everywhere you need them. Each tee has a broom to clear it off. Course navigation is easy, and it has good flow. Fairways use the landscape and trees to great effect, it's a pretty course with beautifully framed shots. Restrooms are near the first tee, and water is not far off. The course is easy to locate, and other park facilities do not interfere with it. It's just a great course.
Cons: I'm guessing this is a bitch to play in the rain. It was a little crowded. Some of the alternate tees are not immediately obvious. The tees aren't concrete.
Other Thoughts: Even though the course is mostly wooded, the fairways are long and wide enough to let you air out some discs.

Dissapointed

1    7/7/2010   7/8/2010
Review By: TheCarGuy
Pros: The course is minutes off of the interstate. The course has good baskets that catch well. It is located in a very pretty park that seems to be well maintained. I did not notice very much trash. Ran into a local fellow on the first tee and he asked me to join up with him and was very friendly. Easy to get to the next tee pad.
Cons: The biggest problems I had with the course were poor tee pads, too much luck involved for my tastes, bad bridges or a lack there of and not knowing where the baskets were.

The tee pads are carpeted and very slick. I fell hard on the 3rd hole and completely shanked my drive. After hole 3 too many of the holes seemed like a poke and hope for me. Some of the holes were hard to play because of the bridge issue. Many of the baskets were not identifiable from the tee pad which is ok but it would be nice to have something letting you know what position it is in.
Other Thoughts: There were multiple basket locations on every hole. The local I played with told me most were in the C position other that the ones that the locks were stuck on. Of all the positions C seemed like the worst, almost like they just put them there to put them there to say there were multiples. I might have liked it a little better if it was laid out in the other positions which seemed like they were the originals and had better defined fairways. I also expected more based on the previous reviews. I have played some courses that really were 4 star courses and this course is no where near the same caliber as those. Had it not been for the extremely nice local I probably would have been even more frustrated.

Best course i've played yet!..but...

1    6/21/2010   6/21/2010
Review By: Nathanbr2
Pros: 1) Best Playing course i've played (out of around 20 courses)

2) extremely good use of elevation, creeks, and woods.

3) first couple of holes are EXTREMELY deceptive. they look nice and relatively simple, but the farther you go on this course, the better it gets

4) A Very good challenge for anyone

5) Holes 8/ 9/10/11- Just...wow. you know you're in trouble when a hole is aptly named "the pinball wizard"

6) fairly good navigation on this course
Cons: 1) couple of bad signs

2) Slick carpet tees- had to throw from a standstill on some

3) Creek crossings- NEED SERIOUS WORK... a bridge that is falling apart, and cement filled tires which we're covered in water when i was there.

4) Posion Ivy, I missed all of it, but did see it, keep your eyes open.

5)Course has High Potential to eat disc due to underbrush and the long holes over valleys.
Other Thoughts: Course itself gets a 4.5 or possibly a 5 in my opinion, but the tees and creek crossings are a big negative.

If those two things could be improved upon, this would easily be one of...if not the best course in the state

also, a few more benches would be nice...but not really a big deal in my opinion

Great Course

1    5/29/2010   5/29/2010
Review By: tjohnson99
Pros: Some long and short shots. Well marked and it's very easy to find the next tee. Each tee pad was in ok shape and some even had brooms that could be used to sweep off any extra dirt.
Cons: There needs to be some bridges put in over the creek. It was difficult to cross and we had to get a little wet when crossing them.
Other Thoughts: Over all the course was good. It's was not easy after the first three holes, but it didn't seem impossible. If I'm ever back in that area I will for sure stop by and play it again.

Quality course for Title Town

1    4/18/2010   4/19/2010
Review By: BennettUA
Pros: Excellent wooded course. I'm used to wooded courses, and this one ranks up there with some of the best.
The throwing lines are fair on every hole, and 3's are possible on every hole, so long as you hit the fairways.
Three pin positions make for a unique challenge. Different distances, doglegs, and elevations. Real thought here.
Tee signs are great, showing the 3 pin positions and lines, and the hole names.
Hole names -- how sweet is that? Sleepy Hollow, Camelot, Why Why, etc. A nice touch!
Great use of the landscape. Not much elevation change in Tuscaloosa, but the course makes use of what there is. The creek adds some risk/ reward.
The park itself is awesome. Lots of running room, baseball fields, basketball, etc. And right off the highway and close to Alabama's campus. The course doesn't get in the way at all, except maybe the first two holes, really just the second hole, but not even that bad.
Park management was cleaning up, on a Sunday morning. Looks like they do a great job with it.
Benches on lots of holes, very high up(I'm 6'3" and couldn't touch the ground while sitting!).
Brooms on most tees to sweep tee clean. Another great touch.
Cons: Poison ivy, just keep your eyes peeled.
Crossing the creek(s) aren't much fun. I don't mind getting wet on a disc golf course, I'm used to it, but if you're gonna try get people across, use better than tires and concrete blocks(or at least use more of them).
There is a bridge over some stagnant water that you would NOT want to fall in, and the bridge is very bouncy and warped -- I weigh under 200lbs and was not comfortable crossing it.
Kinda straight. There are some slight doglegs, but mostly it's fairly straight. May have been the B pin placement, but I looked at the other pin spots too.
Tee pads. It's been said, but for all the positives and work done on this course, good tees would be the biggest improvement. I didn't have any trouble with what's there though.
No fours or fives. If I hadn't had such fun at the U of A A-Day game, I would have been hitting threes on every hole.
Other Thoughts: With better tee pads and a few easier ways to cross the creeks, this course would be right up there.
I just posted a bunch of pics, these should help. I enlarged the tee signs on some pics.
Wish I'd been into disc golf when I was at the U of A!