Tuscaloosa, AL
Bowers Park Share
Uploaded By: BennettUA Hole #10 (Taken 4/2010)
Hole #10 Tee: "SWINGTOWN"

1 2 3 Next >
 great course right off the freeway

1    11/5/2009   11/9/2009
Review By: dr.chainslove
Pros: Bowers Park has a great flow through a park perfectly suited for disc golf. I like how it starts with a few long, open holes to get the arm warmed up and then it gets technical by hole 4 all the way to 18. The wooded holes were well-defined and not as frustratingly difficult as they could have been. The designer put in a lot of thought into the shot shape of each hole and there weren't many oddly placed obstacles/trees to get in the way of a well-placed shot. This layout provided more downhill holes than uphill too. When I first stepped into the woods, i expected to occasionally have trouble finding discs (especially with the fallen leaves). This wasn't a problem as there was very little rough to worry about! These factors helped make this a FUN play as opposed to a highly technical frustratingly challenging play. Bowers park is definitely one of the more fun wooded courses I've played. I appreciated the multiple pin positions on each hole although it wasn't always clear where each pin was hiding. Signs were basic but useful
Cons: With concrete pads and a few bridges (instead of concrete-filled tires throughout the creek), I'd rate this course as a very strong 4 star. The carpet wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but I did slip a few times on my run-up. I would imagine that these and the rubber pads would be trecherous when a little wet. As a positive, they were at least pretty uniformly flat. rubber teepads can get lumpy without proper maintenance
Other Thoughts: Driving from Louisville to New Orleans, this was a perfect pit-stop off the 59/20 hwy and exit 73. It is seriously a 1 minute drive from the highway! I played it with a friend in about an hour and we each had a thoroughly enjoyable disc golf experience.

Nice wooded course

1    8/13/2009   8/21/2009
Review By: jgentry
Pros: This is a nice wooded course that starts you off with a 3 long holes that are mostly open with some big mature trees. From there you go into heavy woods for the rest of the round. The woods for the most part are tight and pretty thick. The majority of the holes have well defined fairways. There are mutliple pin location of every hole. 3 of the holes incorporate a nice little creek that can make for some really nice holes with baskets right before or just over the creek. There is a good mix of left and right throws.
Cons: Concrete pads would be nice but the carpet actaully felt fine.

A couple of the holes were kind of a crap shoot. Hit your first gap and hope.

There bidges over the creek need to be replaced, one of them was even missing.

The first hole buy the creek the pin was not in the marked location. I threw over the creek to were it was supposed to be only to get down there and find no bridge over the creek and the basket on the short side over to the left.
Other Thoughts: This is a pretty tough course but was a fun play. There are some really nice holes and several duece oppurtunies. If you are close it is well worth checking out.

A Great Home Field to Play On

5+    8/2/2009   8/6/2009
Review By: rolltidegopokes
Pros: Fantastic wooded course that will keep you coming for more. Very possible to score birdies on every single hole if you can keep your disc in the fairway and gain some accuracy. Lots of diverse terrain that makes for different challenges in strategy and approach. Great multiple
Cons: Tee pads aren't all in place and sometimes the pin location changes without notice. Also, nothing but par 3s on this course. Lots of potential for a couple of par 4s, or even a par 5. The greens and fairways are also not as clean as other courses can be.
Other Thoughts: I live 4 miles away from the course and learned to play here. I have played several other courses since learning here and can honestly say we have a very challenging course that has made the group I play with better and competitive even on courses that we have never played on before.

2-4    4/18/2009   4/19/2009
Review By: wdemick
Pros: great course. Has everything a challenging woods course should have. tight fairways, good pin positions and baskets guarded by trees and the creek on three holes
Cons: rained both rounds I played so tee pads were very slick. carpet pads were O.K.
Other Thoughts: I have only played twenty or so courses but this may be my new favorite.

5+    1/24/2009   1/27/2009
Review By: Justin L
Pros: Outstanding elevation, an eclectic selection of holes, and a the potential to be a par 60+ course. This is quickly becoming my favorite course in Alabama. I've played this course probably 7 or 8 times and every time I've left exhausted, frustrated, and awesomely impressed.
Cons: Carpet/Flypad teepads can get slick, leaves can cause you to spend some time looking for discs.
Other Thoughts: I _really_ like the new C positions, but I think that to many of them are similar. If the positions were shuffled a bit to add variety to the rounds it would help tremendously. Figure out a way to pour concrete in the woods and this course turns into the best in the state hands down! The local players are some of the nicest I've ever met. If you have the chance stop in for a tournament or doubles!

Hidden gem

5+    1/24/2009   1/20/2009
Review By: bazkitcase5
This review was updated on 1/28/2009
Pros: This course is awesome. The baskets are in good condition. There are 3 pin placements for every hole with 3 tees for every hole. Every regular tee has a nice wooden tee sign, showing the flight path, distance, the other tees, and the pin placements. The message board at the start of hole 1 tells what places the pin positions are in. The regular tees have a mix of carpet pads and mats.

Design wise, this course is excellent. The first 3 holes are mostly open, with enough trees on holes 2 & 3 to force an accurate shot. Then you start into the woods to take on 15 holes with lots of trees, great elevation change, great shot variety, distance variety, and lots of shule that will test your physical skills as well as your mental skills. The regular tees will challenge pro caliber players and the shorter tees allow newer players to also enjoy the course.
Cons: Even from the short tees, this course can be a disc eater if you do not stay in the fairway, so be sure to keep an eye on any errant shots. The short and long tees are natural only, which can get slick/muddy when it rains, but I know the club is working to add carpet pads as they can afford it.

The carpet pads with more fluff worked fine, but the mats and the other carpet pads would collect massive amounts of dirt, which made it very slick to throw on even in good weater conditions, at least for me. A couple of these pads had brooms, but unless you carried one around with you (like I did my 2nd round), it is not enough. This is only a minor complaint, but it is difficult to enjoy playing an awesome hole when you slip on tee and shank your drive.
Other Thoughts: Before playing this course, I had heard good things, but it is truly a gem of a course. The only thing holding this course back from getting 5 stars from me are the lack of good tee pads and the fact that it is an all par 3 course. It is a personal opinion of mine that a course has to have pro level par 4s and 5s in order for me to give it 5 stars, because those kind of holes bring in the strategy element of disc golf that is completely untapped by the majority of courses. However, this will not stop me from bragging about this course any time soon. I look forward to playing this course again, as well as playing it during the warmer months when the shule gets even thicker and to see how much tighter the fairways will become.

As it plays now, the regular tees seem to be set up for gold level players. Shooting par from those tees (at least in C positions, which is all I have played, but possibly others) is very close to a 1000 rated round. Close enough that I think it is safe to say SSA = 54.

The local club seems to be growing and putting in a lot of work on this course. Hopefully as they can afford it, they will improve the tee pads, as well as adding tee pads to the long and short tees. I highly recommend playing this course if you are ever in the area.

2/25/2008   2/25/2008
Review By: The Drake
Pros: This is one of the most beautiful wooded courses I've played. Aside from the first three holes which are fairly open (2 and 3 do have many trees lining their fairways) thick shule lines both sides of the fairways. The routes are clearly defined and really test your accuracy. Some interesting pin placements (hole 11's pin lies about 3 ft from the edge of a creek) force you to make tough decisions off the tee. There's a great use of elevation with some scenic views from the tee (10 and 18 come to mind as my favorites).
Cons: Hole 8 is the only bad hole on the course. Its basically a filler hole with about 50 questionable routes to it. You're probably best off just closing your eyes and chucking the disc in the general vacinity of the basket, hoping you don't hit a tree. The walk from hole 12 to 13 will test your endurance. Both those are just knit picky things.
Other Thoughts: This is probably one of the most underrated courses in the state. Before I played it I heard nothing good about it but it definately ranks as one of my top courses. Definately worth the trip to play a casual round or tournament round.

1 2 3 Next >