Scottsdale, AZ
Vista Del Camino Park Share
Uploaded By: bcr123psu Hole #4 (Taken 3/2011)
3 / 238ft.   3 / 275ft.   3 / 347ft.   3 / 450ft. Par / Distance:

Not Top Level, but Humbling...

1    7/9/2015   7/9/2015
Review By: JNichols
Pros: Wow. What a beautiful setting for a DG course in the Phoenix area! Lush, Green , some trees, all in a nice Park setting. A nice combination of hole lengths and Alternate Basket placements. The layout is a Great use of available space in the park. O.B. is well defined, fairways are fair, available trees and obstacles are well placed/thought out. A good number of Water holes to keep it interesting, especially with the lines of them and the WIND.
Cons: Some of the holes, particularly on the back 9, seem like repeats of the same hole. Not that it is a CON, per se, but this is a Multi use park. LOTS of other folks doing other things and you need to keep your eye out Before you throw.
Other Thoughts: I was Stoked to Finally set foot on this course after seeing it on Youtube over and over. If the Wind is Constant like it was today, I can see this course being a bit of a Sleeper, IMO. The WIND came up after Hole 5 and beat us to death. Steady 15-20 mph with 25-30 mph gusts. For an Intermediate player like me, I recommend being prepared to throw more Stable plastic than Normal! Can't wait to hit this course again!

A good warm up course.

1    9/20/2013   9/22/2013
Review By: Doofenshmirtz
Pros: The lake. Without the lake, this course would not be worth playing. Of course the lake is there and adds a certain risk/reward factor to many of the holes, especially 1, 9, 11 and 18. What elevation there is is used well. The park is clean, the tee pads are concrete and there are multiple baskets on most tees.

Also a big plus is the location in the shopping center near hole 12 of "Spinners on the Green," a great disc golf shop. Stop by and give them some business before, during or after your round.
Cons: There are multiple baskets on some holes and multiple basket positions on all the holes. But there is no way to tell at the tee pad which of the 4-5 positions are being utilized, which defeats the distance marking at the tees a little bit. This is only a minor con.

The holes tend to be wide open with only sparse trees and occasional OB to add some complexity.
Other Thoughts: This is a pretty easy course. More advanced players aren't going to get much of a challenge out of this course. But this course has a certain fun factor because of the layout of the holes that use the lake for OB that makes it a great choice if you are in the Phoenix area and looking to play a round.

What? Is This Desert Golf?

1    5/27/2013   6/16/2013
Pros: Vista Del Camino is a sprawling city park which at the end of May was green and lush and beautiful. At 7 am on an absolutely gorgeous Arizona morning, it was also a beehive of activity with joggers, walkers, bicyclists, disc golfers, families and all sorts of folks out enjoying this lovely oasis in the city. And therein seems to lie the problem for many reviewers. That is, that we have to share this park with others.
The course utilizes the canal and small ponds as much as possible with several throws forcing you into risk/reward decisions. The park is mostly flat with scattered trees although the small areas of elevation are used to the fullest.
The tee pads are great. They're painted blue and have a house number on them so you know you're on the right pad. The signs are informative with all the pertinent info including next tee. I was able to navigate the course by myself the first time with very little difficulty. There are usually five baskets positions indicated on each sign; A-B-C-D-E. A problem is the player doesn't know which of the five positions the basket is currently in. Some kind of a system would be helpful here. Perhaps a colored washer bolted next to the letter indicating which is the basket placement. Many courses use this system effectively. Some of the baskets have the little yellow plastic next tee arrow at the bottom like they have at Fountain Hills.
For a Rec/Intermediate player such as myself, there were a few semi-scary throws over water. # 1 will make your "okole" pucker. # 11 looked scary until I threw and realized that it was just a routine hyszer. And finally # 18 for me. With my noodle arm, it was easier and less stressful, to throw far right around the water, and I still managed a fairly comfortable three. And that's probably one of the main problems with the course. It's a little on the easy side. On # 18, a very average REC player like me shouldn't be able to to par the hole by playing it like a scared little girl.
Cons: The back nine became a little redundant to me. These mostly long, open holes all started to blend together in my mind, Drive-Pitch-Putt.

Definitely a course where you'll have to be aware and possibly wait at times for other park users.

Advanced to pro players won't find the challenge here. I understand the layout for the Memorial is much more challenging.
Other Thoughts: I know early in the morning is not prime golfing time for many disc golfers but on a lovely Phoenix morning with not a cloud in the sky, this place was glorious. Unfortunately a few other folks in the city have discovered this too. Fortunately, this park is easily big enough to share.

My biggest problem was when I stepped up to the # 1 tee pad, it was occupied by this 5 foot tall gray bird of some kind (a crane? a heron? a pterodactyl? ). I don't mind, snakes, spiders, lions, tigers, alligators, bears, bulls, the dark, heights, or most anything else but I absolutely hate any kind of bird with a sharp beak. So having a 5 foot tall menacing bird with a razor sharp long beak eyeballing me like I was a giant minnow he was to going fillet and gobble down for his breakfast probably threw me off my already sorry ass game. Luckily for me, he ambled off in the opposite direction (possibly to carry off some smaller park patron) and I tried to vainly to compose myself enough to avoid the water on # 1 and carry on with my round.

1    3/31/2012   6/25/2012
Review By: crystal haze
Pros: Nice open plan with combination of distance and some placement to do well. Water comes into play on a number of holes more psychologically than because of distance, but that adds to the fun. The layout has great pin placement to increase the challenge on a mostly open course. Definitely recommend to visit. Spinners on the Green is right next to the course and worth stopping by before or after to load up on some discs. Good chance to rip some long throws on a couple of holes.
Cons: If you like tunnel shots and trees, it's not the course for you. Can't really think of any others.
Other Thoughts: When I saw the layout originally and photos I was not particularly interested. I only went since it was next to Spinners. But after playing doubles there with locals on a beautiful day with a very welcoming bunch of folks I was definitely sold on this course. Nice use of multi-use park with running/walking/biking trail weaving through. That in itself has me considering other parks I visit for possible DGC viability.

Vista del Camino

5+    9/5/2010   9/12/2010
Review By: chillis
This review was updated on 3/20/2011
Pros: This course is situated on a well-kept park with (gasp!) grass beneath your feet as you play. For a Valley area course, this truly is special =)
The layout isn't groundbreaking, but because of the multiple basket placements, some holes have two baskets up, you can challenge yourself however you'd like. I appreciate this 'freestyle' approach, a lot. Sometimes you don't want to throw a little 240ft hyzer and you're looking to air out a new disc or work a new throw! In which case, this course has a bunch of different lines and opportunities as such.

There isn't much else to say about this course that hasn't been already. This is a must play course if you live in the Valley or are just visiting.
Cons: Not much elevation change, so while you're playing it can seem a little stale. (Though, you're in a green belt in Scottsdale so you shouldn't be expecting more than a piece of flat land). There are also minimal amounts of shade, but again, for AZ, I'd say there's enough.
Other Thoughts: Conveniently, near the 11th-12th hole, there is a bar (Duke's) and a store that's become somewhat of a landmark for disc golfers, Spinners. Please go in and take a look around and support this one-of-a-kind establishment. They have a huge selection of discs/gears and are ultimately knowledgeable about what they offer.

Vista Del Camino

5+    8/15/2010   8/20/2010
Review By: hangwind
Pros: Well marked grass park course with concrete tees (maps) and multiple basket placement. There is water on the course for challenging throw, trees are a factor on many holes, room for new players to develop throw. Drinking water is available, pro shop at 12th hole. Skatepark near by as well as a food and drinking establishments.
Cons: Can be busy with cycling, skating, dog and pedestrian traffic. Sprinkler system set for 5-6a in summer when course is bearable for summer heat.
Other Thoughts: Another must play grass park that is easily played casually and or seriously with some technical basket placement under canopy of trees. One hole uses slight elevation. Water becomes a factor on a couple of holes.

Beautiful Course

- Beautiful landscape
- Multiple pin positions
- High Risk/Reward shots
- Variety of distance
- Good signage for the most part
- Spinners pro shop
- Duke's Sports Grill
Cons: - Some navigation issues on where the next tee was.
- Multiple pin positions were kind of confusing the first time out. Would have liked to have someone who has played the course and knows the course with me.
- Multi-purpose park watch out for other park users especially bikers and runners.
- If you fear the water there are a couple risky holes, but for the most part it is easy to play it safe.
Other Thoughts: This is a beautiful park. As stated in the cons, my group had trouble figuring out which pin placement was in the ground on some holes. Despite that problem we still had an excellent round of golf. The course is designed and maintained beautifully. Spinners is a great stop right before heading out. They are well stocked and the man that helped my family was very knowledgeable. My group made an afternoon of it, hit Spinners on the way out, played the course and hit Duke's after. It was a memorable afternoon and course. If you are in the area or willing to make the trip, definitely check this course out.

***UPDATE***
After playing some additional courses this is not quite as good as the very best. It needs better tee signs and navigational help, but is still a great course, I changed my rating from 4.5 to 4.

UPDATE - As of 03/06/2015
- After expanding my disc golf horizons and returning to Vista Del Camino after 5 years since the first time I played it, I feel obliged to lower my rating. I was not quite so enamored with this course the second time around, see reasoning below.

- Holes felt repetitive and lacked the need to shape lines. Bring your hyzer game and you will score well.
- Holes lacked distance variety. I felt like I was just smashing a bomb hyzer off every tee pad
- The park was significantly dryer and less beautiful than the first time I played here (it is Arizona after all)
- The course flow is really lacking. Beyond the slight navigation issues, numerous holes had us playing past the next tee pad, which forced us to have to walk backwards to the next tee pad. This could be due to the fact that the course was in the long set up post-Memorial, but I still see this as a design flaw. Walking backwards after a hole to the next tee is worth it if it sets up a great tee shot or fun disc golf line, but the design simply didn't seem to do that here.

Overall, it is simply a good park style course that makes exceptional use of the water. Thus I have dropped my rating from 4 to 3.5

My first course

5+    9/1/2006   7/21/2009
Review By: BigA31640
This review was updated on 7/24/2009
Pros: This is a great open course to play. Multiple basket positions. Very easy lay out to follow, except crossing from 3-4, cross the bridge to your right 4's pad is by the basketball court. Great signage. Locals are very friendly and easy to approach. Spinners On The Green pro shop located at the park. Great water holes. Course plays extremly long when it is set up in the Memorial layout. The club is working on getting more trees planted. Bathrooms and water on the course is always a plus.
Cons: Monsoon storms have taken their toll on the few trees that this park has and has left many hole scarred. Very soggy in the summer when the park is being watered.

It is a multi use park with many walkers, bikers, and runners in it because it is located on a green belt but that shouldn't affect your play.
Other Thoughts: This was my home course for the whole time I lived in Phoneix and I love playing it. Meet at hole 12 for doubles and handicap league.

For those that dis this course because it is too open I say this. Courses are different all over the country from extremely wooded to open fairways. Just because a course may be too open for you doesn't mean that it is not how a Disc Golf course should look or be. Variety is the spice of life.

home course

5+    6/29/2009   6/30/2009
Review By: grube.fresh
This review was updated on 9/9/2010
Pros: year round play, water,food, bathrooms,bar,pro shop spinners all within steps of hole 12. water on 4 holes add challenge. multiple pin placements. flat and grassy.
Cons: flat and grassy, not enough trees, must be able to throw 325 plus to cross water. they water during the day in the summer wich makes for wet tee boxes.
Other Thoughts: this course is a 4.5 during the winter when its cooler/no sprinklers/ temps below 110f.

Solid Course in Scotty

5+    4/14/2009   4/14/2009
Review By: pokamitch
This review was updated on 4/4/2010
Pros: Great course that doesn't favor lefties or righty. Water in play, you can get wet.... Some pretty long hole placements. Decent flow, challenging for all skill sets. Very well maintained course.

I refuse to rate water hazards as a con, so that is why I will list it here. I personally love throwing over water. Good risk, reward factor!!

Great local scene. Regular tournaments. Very nice park, with plenty trash cans to keep it that way. The signage is pretty good. Nice tee pads, all concrete and large. Chains are still in decent shape

Spinners is the pro shop with a great staff. Duke's is there too and is cool to hang at to eat/ drink. (both at the N. end of the park)
Cons: Can get crowded with other people in the park. Not disc golf exclusive. Restrooms are scarce. Pretty flat, but the "rim" of the park was used to give some depth to the course

The new layout is a big down grade to the old one. Had better mix of holes, more technical. Even an island green on the original course (I think it was #8 0r #9)

This course has a few holes where you feel like you just played that hole (#12 thru #17 are basically the same holes).
Other Thoughts: Great place to play if your in Scottsdale. Nice area. One of the 3 "Must Plays" in Phoenix. 1st course I played in AZ 18 yrs ago.

Nothing to rave about, but no real complaints either. Just a solid course that can challenge you everytime you play it. Could and was better (changes due to fairways across walking paths), but still very good for a fix

***Favorite Holes***

Front
#1- right to left over the water, with a large area to land. It is a great challenge for me to start off with a gnarly anyhyzer, and with so much at stake....

Back
#18- left to right over the water, pin just 10' off waters edge. My LHBH is over water the entire flight....GO FOR IT!!!