Scottsdale, AZ
Vista Del Camino Park Share
3 / 266ft.   3 / 366ft.   3 / 400ft.   3 / 475ft. Par / Distance:

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5
overrated courses must be a thing in PHX

1    8/3/2014   9/2/2014
Review By: dreadlock86
Pros: -a couple of small, interlinked ponds that come into play on some holes
-a few holes make use of the extremely limited elevation changes
-tons of alternate basket placements is great for locals and replay value but difficult for the traveler to ascertain in which placement the basket is currently located
-some trees to provide shade and an obstacle or two
-concrete tees, older but decent baskets
Cons: -few obstacles on the course other than some sparse trees and the water. there are usually just one or two trees to avoid on each fairway but nothing that demands a certain line.
-tricky navigation spot: cross the creek after hole 3 to get to hole 4
-no marker system on the tees for the basket positions
Other Thoughts: This course is situated in a decently sized city park with a few small ponds running through the middle. The course makes decent use of the land but the land doesn't have much to offer. I found the only fun holes to be the ones next to the water and the elevated ace run on hole 8.

A great feature of this course is the many basket positions on every hole. Most holes have 5 or 6 positions and it is a nice way to keep the course interesting for the locals that play here. Unfortunately it makes it difficult for the traveler to determine which location is currently being used. There are all visible from the tee but it would be nice to know the distances on some of the longer holes where it is harder to eyeball off the tee.

A nice looking course with mediocre golf, saved from being completely boring by the water in play on holes 1, 9, 11, and 18. Seems like it is unfortunately one of the better options on the east side of the Phoenix metro area.

**Like this review? Hate it? Message me and let me know why! I want to make them better!**

A Scottsdale Favorite!

5+    5/4/2014   5/17/2014
Review By: Outdoor Craziness
Pros: The water: there are only a few courses in Arizona with water in play, and Vista del Camino has plenty of it. #1, 9, 10, and 18 involve throws over water, so be careful.

The terrain: a course in Arizona with grass?? It's a great change of pace for AZ disc golfers.

Spinners on the Green: the BEST disc golf shop in AZ, hands down! The shop is about a 2 minute walk from #11. Even if you're not looking to get a new disc, you should stop by. They also have a great lost-and-found system for discs - if you happen to lose a few in the water, check with Spinners later in the week!
Cons: The pedestrians: don't get me wrong, they aren't doing anything wrong. But some of the baskets require throws that are close to the Indian Wash Greenbelt, so watch out for cyclists and walkers.
Other Thoughts: I'm in Phoenix about once a month, and this is the course I always play!

nice park

1    3/14/2014   3/15/2014
Review By: a.sorensen
Pros:
- large concrete tee pads
- good signage showing all relevant hole info
- well maintained grounds
- good use of water hazards
Cons:
- sign missing on hole 18
- just one set of tee boxes
- while the signs say there are 4 pin locations for each hole, it does not appear that the baskets have been moved in a very long time
- it can be difficult to find the next tee pad
Other Thoughts: The course is nested inside a very nice park. Give your self and extra hour and take a bike, skateboard, volleyball, horseshoes or etc. and spend some time hanging out after your round. Also, visit the disc golf shop (Spinners) near the tee for hole 12.

Easy course with "risk factor"

2-4    10/6/2013   10/7/2013
Review By: stratedge
Pros: Nicely maintained course/park that is well used with a disc golf shop nearby. Really enjoyed my day here hitting up the shop for a couple new discs, testing them out during a round, break for lunch/beer at the bar, then another 18.

The fact that the course is very easy is a "pro" for beginner/intermediate players. If you can throw in the 300-350 ft range, every hole becomes very deuce-able. I want to go back because I'm mad at myself for not throwing under par here.

The water holes are very interesting and make the game challenging on a psychological level; the challenge being to ignore the water and throw your normal shot. Not something I see in my home city so I enjoyed that. I actually had one disc go into the water after hitting a tree on hole 11, but it was at the edge so I just grabbed it.

Course is well used, which I like, it's nice to meet other people playing and exchange pleasantries.

Drinking water fountains came in handy as it was super hot when I was here.

The signage, tee pads, and baskets are all quality and well maintained. I was easily able to tell which basket placement was in use simply by looking at the basket relative to the trees around it, and then relating that to the map.
Cons: Primarily, the course is flat and sparsely treed, and so most of the holes play the same way and are very simple: long throw around the 1 big tree in play, upshot/long putt, putt out. It would seem to get boring rather quickly if you were to play it a lot.

The Sunday afternoon I was there, the park was really busy and human obstacles were a very big issue. Early in the afternoon I was able to play all 18 by just waiting for people to pass at times. But when I came back after lunch, I couldn't play hole 1 as a family had set up shop right in the sweet spot of the fairway. Then hole 2 was an issue as a bunch of guys were playing football right in that fairway. And waiting for people walking through the fairways, sometimes VERY slowly, was happening quite a bit. A couple holes play pretty tight to the pathway OB, such that you have to wait a few minutes for a break in traffic to throw comfortably. As seems to be the case everywhere, it's often comical how oblivious people can be to the disc golf happening around them.
Other Thoughts: If I was a Phoenix area local, this is a course that would be in my weekend rotation, but I don't think I'd be playing it too much.

As a visitor, this isn't a "destination" course by itself, but taken as a package with it's convenient location, the disc shop, and the bar which had good food... I had a great day here and would recommend it as a 4-5 hour excursion. The selection at "Spinners" is awesome, it was my first time in a dedicated disc golf shop and browsing through all the discs I'd read about online was interesting.

A good warm up course.

1    9/20/2013   9/22/2013
Review By: Doofenshmirtz
Pros: The lake. Without the lake, this course would not be worth playing. Of course the lake is there and adds a certain risk/reward factor to many of the holes, especially 1, 9, 11 and 18. What elevation there is is used well. The park is clean, the tee pads are concrete and there are multiple baskets on most tees.

Also a big plus is the location in the shopping center near hole 12 of "Spinners on the Green," a great disc golf shop. Stop by and give them some business before, during or after your round.
Cons: There are multiple baskets on some holes and multiple basket positions on all the holes. But there is no way to tell at the tee pad which of the 4-5 positions are being utilized, which defeats the distance marking at the tees a little bit. This is only a minor con.

The holes tend to be wide open with only sparse trees and occasional OB to add some complexity.
Other Thoughts: This is a pretty easy course. More advanced players aren't going to get much of a challenge out of this course. But this course has a certain fun factor because of the layout of the holes that use the lake for OB that makes it a great choice if you are in the Phoenix area and looking to play a round.

What? Is This Desert Golf?

1    5/27/2013   6/16/2013
Pros: Vista Del Camino is a sprawling city park which at the end of May was green and lush and beautiful. At 7 am on an absolutely gorgeous Arizona morning, it was also a beehive of activity with joggers, walkers, bicyclists, disc golfers, families and all sorts of folks out enjoying this lovely oasis in the city. And therein seems to lie the problem for many reviewers. That is, that we have to share this park with others.
The course utilizes the canal and small ponds as much as possible with several throws forcing you into risk/reward decisions. The park is mostly flat with scattered trees although the small areas of elevation are used to the fullest.
The tee pads are great. They're painted blue and have a house number on them so you know you're on the right pad. The signs are informative with all the pertinent info including next tee. I was able to navigate the course by myself the first time with very little difficulty. There are usually five baskets positions indicated on each sign; A-B-C-D-E. A problem is the player doesn't know which of the five positions the basket is currently in. Some kind of a system would be helpful here. Perhaps a colored washer bolted next to the letter indicating which is the basket placement. Many courses use this system effectively. Some of the baskets have the little yellow plastic next tee arrow at the bottom like they have at Fountain Hills.
For a Rec/Intermediate player such as myself, there were a few semi-scary throws over water. # 1 will make your "okole" pucker. # 11 looked scary until I threw and realized that it was just a routine hyszer. And finally # 18 for me. With my noodle arm, it was easier and less stressful, to throw far right around the water, and I still managed a fairly comfortable three. And that's probably one of the main problems with the course. It's a little on the easy side. On # 18, a very average REC player like me shouldn't be able to to par the hole by playing it like a scared little girl.
Cons: The back nine became a little redundant to me. These mostly long, open holes all started to blend together in my mind, Drive-Pitch-Putt.

Definitely a course where you'll have to be aware and possibly wait at times for other park users.

Advanced to pro players won't find the challenge here. I understand the layout for the Memorial is much more challenging.
Other Thoughts: I know early in the morning is not prime golfing time for many disc golfers but on a lovely Phoenix morning with not a cloud in the sky, this place was glorious. Unfortunately a few other folks in the city have discovered this too. Fortunately, this park is easily big enough to share.

My biggest problem was when I stepped up to the # 1 tee pad, it was occupied by this 5 foot tall gray bird of some kind (a crane? a heron? a pterodactyl? ). I don't mind, snakes, spiders, lions, tigers, alligators, bears, bulls, the dark, heights, or most anything else but I absolutely hate any kind of bird with a sharp beak. So having a 5 foot tall menacing bird with a razor sharp long beak eyeballing me like I was a giant minnow he was to going fillet and gobble down for his breakfast probably threw me off my already sorry ass game. Luckily for me, he ambled off in the opposite direction (possibly to carry off some smaller park patron) and I tried to vainly to compose myself enough to avoid the water on # 1 and carry on with my round.

1    2/4/2013   2/4/2013
Review By: Treedestroyer9
Pros: Some nice long nice holes some trees in the way make fun obstacles also the water hazards add a little butt pucker factor fun overall course!
Cons: stupid people yelling at you to put your dog on a leash and hoodlum kids cursing all over the place.
Other Thoughts: good course for phoenix. Ill play it again!

5+    9/24/2012   10/10/2012
Review By: Psicko
Pros: good signage and concrete tees
multiple pin placement
fun course
waterhazards come into play on a few holes
restrooms and water available
shop in the plaza next door
Cons: multiuse park, can be busy
Other Thoughts: I like this course. The water holes can be intimidating for the new player. Not much else to add to the other reviews. The tourney set up is really fun.

3 out of 5

2-4    8/20/2012   8/20/2012
Review By: Loomis
Pros: I would rate this higher if there were grass on the whole course.

In the Memorial layout this course is a doozy. I would go as far as to give it a 4 out of 5. I enjoyed it more than Fountain. However, when it's out of tournament layout, it's so-so. The shots are "use of space" and learning to use the land to make shots i.e. Skip shots, rollers, flairs, etc. This course will make you a better player on harder courses.
Cons: It won't be that tough to play on the third or fourth time through. It's a trainer course.
Other Thoughts: It says something about disc golf that this tournament - and this course specifically - got lit up during the 2012 Memorial. The courses need redesigning and there needs to be more emphasis placed on the mental aspects of the game to make it harder, not just adding distance. It's a fun course for a casual round. But you won't need much of a bag to play it.

1    3/31/2012   6/25/2012
Review By: crystal haze
Pros: Nice open plan with combination of distance and some placement to do well. Water comes into play on a number of holes more psychologically than because of distance, but that adds to the fun. The layout has great pin placement to increase the challenge on a mostly open course. Definitely recommend to visit. Spinners on the Green is right next to the course and worth stopping by before or after to load up on some discs. Good chance to rip some long throws on a couple of holes.
Cons: If you like tunnel shots and trees, it's not the course for you. Can't really think of any others.
Other Thoughts: When I saw the layout originally and photos I was not particularly interested. I only went since it was next to Spinners. But after playing doubles there with locals on a beautiful day with a very welcoming bunch of folks I was definitely sold on this course. Nice use of multi-use park with running/walking/biking trail weaving through. That in itself has me considering other parks I visit for possible DGC viability.

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5