Scottsdale, AZ
Vista Del Camino Park Share
3 / 290ft.   3 / 365ft.   3 / 400ft.   3 / 441ft. Par / Distance:

What? Is This Desert Golf?

1    5/27/2013   6/16/2013
Pros: Vista Del Camino is a sprawling city park which at the end of May was green and lush and beautiful. At 7 am on an absolutely gorgeous Arizona morning, it was also a beehive of activity with joggers, walkers, bicyclists, disc golfers, families and all sorts of folks out enjoying this lovely oasis in the city. And therein seems to lie the problem for many reviewers. That is, that we have to share this park with others.
The course utilizes the canal and small ponds as much as possible with several throws forcing you into risk/reward decisions. The park is mostly flat with scattered trees although the small areas of elevation are used to the fullest.
The tee pads are great. They're painted blue and have a house number on them so you know you're on the right pad. The signs are informative with all the pertinent info including next tee. I was able to navigate the course by myself the first time with very little difficulty. There are usually five baskets positions indicated on each sign; A-B-C-D-E. A problem is the player doesn't know which of the five positions the basket is currently in. Some kind of a system would be helpful here. Perhaps a colored washer bolted next to the letter indicating which is the basket placement. Many courses use this system effectively. Some of the baskets have the little yellow plastic next tee arrow at the bottom like they have at Fountain Hills.
For a Rec/Intermediate player such as myself, there were a few semi-scary throws over water. # 1 will make your "okole" pucker. # 11 looked scary until I threw and realized that it was just a routine hyszer. And finally # 18 for me. With my noodle arm, it was easier and less stressful, to throw far right around the water, and I still managed a fairly comfortable three. And that's probably one of the main problems with the course. It's a little on the easy side. On # 18, a very average REC player like me shouldn't be able to to par the hole by playing it like a scared little girl.
Cons: The back nine became a little redundant to me. These mostly long, open holes all started to blend together in my mind, Drive-Pitch-Putt.

Definitely a course where you'll have to be aware and possibly wait at times for other park users.

Advanced to pro players won't find the challenge here. I understand the layout for the Memorial is much more challenging.
Other Thoughts: I know early in the morning is not prime golfing time for many disc golfers but on a lovely Phoenix morning with not a cloud in the sky, this place was glorious. Unfortunately a few other folks in the city have discovered this too. Fortunately, this park is easily big enough to share.

My biggest problem was when I stepped up to the # 1 tee pad, it was occupied by this 5 foot tall gray bird of some kind (a crane? a heron? a pterodactyl? ). I don't mind, snakes, spiders, lions, tigers, alligators, bears, bulls, the dark, heights, or most anything else but I absolutely hate any kind of bird with a sharp beak. So having a 5 foot tall menacing bird with a razor sharp long beak eyeballing me like I was a giant minnow he was to going fillet and gobble down for his breakfast probably threw me off my already sorry ass game. Luckily for me, he ambled off in the opposite direction (possibly to carry off some smaller park patron) and I tried to vainly to compose myself enough to avoid the water on # 1 and carry on with my round.

1    2/4/2013   2/4/2013
Review By: Treedestroyer9
Pros: Some nice long nice holes some trees in the way make fun obstacles also the water hazards add a little butt pucker factor fun overall course!
Cons: stupid people yelling at you to put your dog on a leash and hoodlum kids cursing all over the place.
Other Thoughts: good course for phoenix. Ill play it again!

5+    9/24/2012   10/10/2012
Review By: Psicko
Pros: good signage and concrete tees
multiple pin placement
fun course
waterhazards come into play on a few holes
restrooms and water available
shop in the plaza next door
Cons: multiuse park, can be busy
Other Thoughts: I like this course. The water holes can be intimidating for the new player. Not much else to add to the other reviews. The tourney set up is really fun.

3 out of 5

2-4    8/20/2012   8/20/2012
Review By: Loomis
Pros: I would rate this higher if there were grass on the whole course.

In the Memorial layout this course is a doozy. I would go as far as to give it a 4 out of 5. I enjoyed it more than Fountain. However, when it's out of tournament layout, it's so-so. The shots are "use of space" and learning to use the land to make shots i.e. Skip shots, rollers, flairs, etc. This course will make you a better player on harder courses.
Cons: It won't be that tough to play on the third or fourth time through. It's a trainer course.
Other Thoughts: It says something about disc golf that this tournament - and this course specifically - got lit up during the 2012 Memorial. The courses need redesigning and there needs to be more emphasis placed on the mental aspects of the game to make it harder, not just adding distance. It's a fun course for a casual round. But you won't need much of a bag to play it.

1    3/31/2012   6/25/2012
Review By: crystal haze
Pros: Nice open plan with combination of distance and some placement to do well. Water comes into play on a number of holes more psychologically than because of distance, but that adds to the fun. The layout has great pin placement to increase the challenge on a mostly open course. Definitely recommend to visit. Spinners on the Green is right next to the course and worth stopping by before or after to load up on some discs. Good chance to rip some long throws on a couple of holes.
Cons: If you like tunnel shots and trees, it's not the course for you. Can't really think of any others.
Other Thoughts: When I saw the layout originally and photos I was not particularly interested. I only went since it was next to Spinners. But after playing doubles there with locals on a beautiful day with a very welcoming bunch of folks I was definitely sold on this course. Nice use of multi-use park with running/walking/biking trail weaving through. That in itself has me considering other parks I visit for possible DGC viability.

5+    3/23/2012   3/23/2012
Review By: Poiball
Pros: With the course runs around a little pond which is nice, and adds a bit of difficulty and diversity to the course. The signs on each hole are detailed enough so that it is hard to not be able to find a hole.
Cons: This course is not difficult by any means. The variety of shots are very limited, so if you are an intermediate or better the course is a little monotonous. There are no obstacles, other than the pond, to force a certain type of shot.
Other Thoughts: This course has two layouts, one long course for tournaments, and a shorter more boring course for everyday ams. I have only ever played the short, recreational course. So maybe when the course is set to its tournament layout it is better.

What exactly makes this course good?

1    2/8/2012   2/8/2012
Review By: Natedoog
Pros: Long shots, plenty of challenge with water. Signs that show pin placement are kept up pretty good.
Cons: this course has absolutely no flow to it. I've never played a course where it took time to find the next tee pad. People everywhere. I understand that there are 3 apartment complexes right on this course but people riding bikes with kids everywhere, people walking dogs in the middle of the course (most should have common knowledge to go along the side.)
Other Thoughts: I don't see why people would like this course at all. it's my least favorite of the ones I played while I was out there. Only bright side was finding a disc with no name on it and giving it to my friend who is just starting

Nice Course

2-4    1/29/2012   1/29/2012
Review By: ManU
Pros: I would call this a nice intermediate course. The land space has been used well. Difficulty is added with the placement of a few baskets quite close to the water's edge or on a hill side. Throwing over water always adds that little extra "spice".

There are a few trees on the course but for the most part the course is flat and open. By open I mean that the fairways are not narrow and defined by lanes of trees. As such, most holes should be parred or, if you have above average distance (say 350 to 375) you should be able to put yourself in with a very strong chance of a birdie.
The tee pads are very nice, and the tee signs are helpful and informative pointing you in the right direction to the next tee pad after you hole out.
Cons: This is just a personal opinion and it my "con" is perhaps quite minor. The course is not overly challenging. Unless you throw into water there isn't really any punishment for a misplaced shot. There aren't what I would call actual fairways (as it is quite open) so you can pretty much take any line to a basket.
Other Thoughts: The park itself is attractive with nice walking paths. There are garbage cans available. This is a course you could play with your family and take a baby stroller to.

Nice park course

1    10/26/2011   10/31/2011
Review By: BeauRoch
Pros: Great park setting. Holes were set up to make the most of the available space they have available.
Cons: Maps need updating. Players always need to watch for other park users to ensure they don't hit them during play.

Lets see, Vista Del Camino...

2-4    10/8/2010   7/5/2011
Review By: DiscNoid
Pros: VERY nice course situated in a public park with plenty of challenges. I really enjoyed this course with it's creek running through the middle, sloping greens. well placed layout through and around the trees (the trees make this a very comfortable course during mid-day heat), and nice grass throughout. Well maintained and played regularly by golfers also helps to divert regular park traffic to the other half across the road. Nice distances/challenges to each hole make this a great course for beginners and pros alike. Highly recommended.
Cons: Just the occasional pedestrian and a couple sticky OB areas. I managed to land a disc in the fenced off culvert off hole #8 which made an interesting retrieval..
Other Thoughts: Not very much privacy so be careful. Especially if your having one of those games. While I was there I saw a few families with children...