Savannah (Pooler), GA
Tom Triplett DGC Share
Uploaded By: prerube Hole #1 (Taken 8/2009)
3 / 230ft.   3 / 310ft.   3 / 310ft.   4 / 317ft. Par / Distance:
Course Info Board

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5
Enjoyable

1    8/22/2014   8/24/2014
Review By: gvdg jake
Pros: Played this course early in the morning during a week with a heat wave going through the south. I liked how there is a great deal of parking near by and a disc catcher practice cage near hole 1. Had a very nice kiosk also.

Plenty of benches and trash cans

I played the reds (since it was hot as hell and I was on a family vacation). I found the layout to be a fun but challenging layout. Most pads were concrete pads but some were a carpet type that still had great grip. I noticed on most holes they had next tee signs that were fairly large. GREAT tee signs, some of the best I've ever seen.

Course had a good flow to it which ends at the parking lot/hole 1 area. First 3 holes were in the small patch of woods along the lake. Then it got to a few straight holes of wide open shots with tons of road and path OB in play. Made for a great challenge. It went into wooded holes after that. Tons of ace runs on the course. This is a course that will make you use every shot you have at some point.

Cons: Got lost after 13 and finally found 14 near hole 5 pad in the woods. Never found hole 15 though. Still curious where it was. But from 14 to 16 it was a longgg walk back towards the last 3 holes near the parking lot

Only safety issue I had on the entire course was hole 18. There was an older couple in a gazebo to the right of the tee box, I gave warning before throwing but it still made me nervous if a grip lock or bad kick would occur. Also, long of 18 is a playground, luckily with it being hot and kinda early kids weren't there.
Other Thoughts: I thought this was a great course. Good flow for the most part and a lot of fun holes. Course was well taken care of. Very glad I could break away for a hour or two to play this course. If you're ever in the area it's a must play!

Tom Triplett has something for everyone

1    7/12/2014   7/25/2014
Review By: chainedwraith
Pros: Beautiful park with a proper balance between open, semi-wooded, and densely wooded holes. The course is right on the right side as soon as you come into the park entrance so very easy to find hole 1 and get started.

Hole 7 brings you into the woods and from there until hole 14 you have that sense of peaceful seclusion which I always appreciate.

Multiple tees with good separation providing excellent diversity in play ability by skill level.

Tee signs are adequate. I had no issues with navigation. I had glanced at the map online before leaving my hotel which may have helped, but otherwise I never got lost or ended up in the wrong place. It seemed like most next tees are visible from the previous basket and the course had a nice flow to it and the holes have good separation from one another.

The holes all seemed fair and challenging with the only debate being hole 15 which is a little tighter than I would prefer to see on a filler hole.
Cons: Nothing major.

Might not be too big of a deal for some, but I'm not a fan of natural tees but these are adequate even though it was wet and a little muddy. I would still prefer concrete but if you are used to natural tees these are as good as any.

If your local courses loop back after 9-holes like most of mine do, it becomes something you notice on courses that don't. Tom Triplett does not loop back so remember to bring what you need with you for the entire round.

There seems to be lacking a true signature hole, but for the most part its not too big of a deal since most of the holes are pretty solid anyways.. just no real "wow" factor that I can recall.
Other Thoughts: I was there at the crack of dawn and had the whole course to myself. It was drizzling the entire round so not many pedestrians either. I didn't see another disc golfer until I was walking to hole 15 and someone was putting on hole 4. I encountered a couple of young deer foraging in the woods just off the fairway in the area of holes 8 - 10. That was pretty cool.

Normally I wouldn't feel fair reviewing a course in which I played the entire round in the rain, but in this case I made an exception because A) the light rain was annoying but bearable and once I got in the woods it was more like getting dripped on than actual rain. B) I was actually shooting a great round from blue tees and I think most disc golfers would agree that when you are playing well, most other things such as the weather don't necessarily detract from the experience as much as they would if shooting bad. I had a good time here despite the relentless drizzle.

Savannah has a great course here and I would certainly recommend it to anyone passing through. I know I will be back someday for sure!

Love this course

5+    7/5/2014   7/23/2014
Review By: Barneybboy
Pros: This course has a little bit of everything. You go from moderately wooded areas to open throws. Then you go to water hazards to dense wooded areas. The signing on this course is present and very clear to understand. You don't get lost because signs tell you right where to go for the next hole. Even in the hot summer there is enough trees to block out the sun most of the holes keeping it less hot.
Cons: The big lake that is there can be a beast. Hole 4 will eat up your discs if you swing them to far to the left. Also the basket for hole 4 has a lot of bees around it. I would recommend playing a different target for that hole unless you like braving the swarm of bees by the basket.
Other Thoughts: This is a great course. I have been multiple times and even when it is crowded the flow is smooth and you don't find yourself waiting hardly at all. One of my favorite courses that I have played.

Very Good Course

2-4    7/9/2014   7/14/2014
Review By: jeffboi
This review was updated on 7/28/2014
Pros: Some wide open shots, some technical play - a nice mix! Multiple tee boxes, well maintained and all in good condition. I highly recommend you give it a try!
Cons: Certain parts of the course could be better marked to make following along to the next tee easier.
Other Thoughts: You probably won't loose too many discs here, but you will always find a great challenge. A good course worth playing for the first time or multiple times per week - every week.

Good Course in Busy Park

1    7/2/2014   7/8/2014
Review By: DGLobo999
Pros: Lots of variation in layouts. Good mix of technical and long shots. Good course to hone your control and shot shaping.
Cons: Disappointed. Had read reviews and heard about how great the course was. Tees were a bit sloppy and signage was fair at best. Very grown up and seemed that maintenance was a bit lacking. Had no idea on the route or where the basket was located on several holes without walking and scouting ahead. Not easy to navigate for a visitor and the constant searching diminished the fun. Lots of back and forth in the pines at the beginning and end of course. Seems it could be easy to get hit by errant shots.
Other Thoughts: Of the two, I feel The Sarge is the better course in the area. If traveling, play the Sarge.

Triplett

1    4/26/2014   5/5/2014
Review By: Peter S
Pros: The many tee boxes per hole allow players to chose the challenge level they want to play. Playes in a free park with restrooms by parking area. Some water carries from long tees by a large lake. Short tees play along side of lake but no over water carries for the beginners. A small ravine may hold water on 18 adds fun and challenge to finish. Great mix of some tricky open shots with water or o.b. and tight woods.

Southern hospitility. Although we were a group of 3 plus a dog slowing us down a group of 4 playing leagues let us play through and later kept us on course when we were about to make a wrong turn.
Cons: Rubber tees were very slippery after only a short light sprinkle. No indication of next tee area on some holes.
Other Thoughts: No indication here that dogs are not permitted. Dogs are allowed in the park. However, they are strict about dogs not being allowed in the d/golf & other common areas in the park. The park care taker saw we were from out of state and allowed us to keep dog by road during first few holes in shared area and then told us when we get to woods not to worry.

Triple T(r)ees at Triplett

1    12/22/2013   1/6/2014
Review By: BogeyNoMore
This review was updated on 1/12/2014
Pros: Nice course in a busy, well maintained, multi-use park.
• Variety: Reasonable mix of fairway shapes and lengths. Predominantly well to very well-wooded, but starts out with a few lightly wooded and semi-open holes to let you warm-up. Provides at least a few chances to use most shots in your repertoire.
• Pretty solid design for the most part. The very little elevation present is used to its potential to provide rollaway potential on a couple of holes. Water in play on a 1+ holes (depending on the tees you play from).
• Equipment: Tees and baskets were all in good condition.Nice signage (graffiti free!) and scorecard/maps keep you moving the right direction. Except for a few spots that are a bit confusing, routing/navigation is pretty good for the most part - I was able to finish my round without much trouble. Regardless of the good signage, be prepared to walk a few fairways to spot blind baskets and find the line you want to take.
• 3 separate tees for every hole sometimes offer different looks, sometimes only change distance. Interestingly color coded to provide up to 5 pre-defined lay-outs to accommodate varying skill levels and variety. Seems more confusing at first than it actually is (see Other Thoughts).
• Little underbrush to obscure discs (and leaves weren't as big a problem as I've seen on other well wooded courses).
Cons:
• Holes 8 (blue) and 15 seem rather poke'n'pray'ish, with scores being due more to luck than to skill… 15 particularly so. I'd say it was just a throwaway hole to connect 14 and 16, but it doesn't even do that job well - simply doesn't fit in at all.
• Terrain is quite flat. Kudos for making good use of it where possible to create some rollaway potential on 4 and 6, but elevation simply makes courses more interesting to play IMO.
• Some nice water carries from a couple of the longs, but I'd have liked to seen a couple of the short/med tees bring the water into play as well.
• While the holes have varied shapes and lengths, they lack decent variety in terms of fairway type, and begin to feel a bit repetitive towards the end of a round. The longest set of tees provide a couple more chances to air it out on the water carries. Fairly well executed overall, but nothing really stood as exceptional and while it's a good course, it simply didn't leave me with any real desire to return.
Other Thoughts: If finesse is your game, Triplett might be your cup of tea, but if grip'n'rip is your idea of fun round, stay away - Triplett will have you playing lumberjack.

5 color coded "layouts": 3 sets of tees are color coded to accommodate five different skill levels; white is always the easiest, blue in the middle, and gold offers the most challenge. In actuality, there are no additional tees for "Red" or "Black" layouts. Red is simply a pre-defined mix of short and medium tees to to provide an intermediate challenge, while black is a similar pre-defined mix of med and long tees offering a more advanced challenge. Hence, they've created 5 pre-defined, color-coded "layouts" to accommodate varying skill levels using 3 sets of tees. This could be useful for standardizing scores for local league play and tournaments.

Reasonably well executed for the most part, I'd say any of the individual layouts is good as a stand-alone course (3.0), and feel 3.5 is in order given the variety afforded by the 2 extra sets of tees, but think the course falls a bit short of excellence.

I don't necessarily regret stopping here, but can't help but wonder if my time on the road wouldn't have been better spent playing a different course. Triplett seems like it'd be great for league play, but didn't quite strike me as a destination worthy course.

That said, it's only 2 miles off I-95, so it's incredibly convenient to add to your courses played list if you're passing by.

An Old Friend, an Old Enemy

5+    7/29/2013   8/11/2013
Review By: reposado
Pros: Before I say anything else, I should note that this course is my nemesis. It's one of the three courses that I have played the most, and it always manages to break my heart. I can't count the amount of times I have gone into the woods playing on fire, thinking I would finally get the better of old Tom, only to fall apart on the back nine. Not that I've never aced the back nine. I've often rallied from a disastrous beginning to end on a run, but somehow, Tom never lets me put together a solid round.

I hope that's a testament to the course. There's a lot of challenge here. Most of it is provided by the trees. There are several holes here pulled right of North Carolina. If you land off course, you're likely spending at least one shot getting back on course and if you are tempted to drive out, you might be in for a long day of thunk-thunk-thunk. The obstacles at Triplett are the trunks, not teh underbrush. Expect errant throws to be easiy found, but expect them to cost you at least a stroke. Many a bad round here has begun by hitting first one tree, then another until finally, the will is broken. Behind on the scorecard, it is tempting to attempt to much. But playing reckless here isn't going to get you much. That just what Tom wants.

The real devil of the course is 4. After a few holes in the trees. (And how much do I love 2 with dense tree cover but a sweet line coming in from either direction. Where was I? Right, back to 4.) A sharp early dog left then a looooong run to the pin, with a lake to your left the hole way. This prompts a decision that I start thinking about in the car. Play it backhand with a Dragon, hugging the lake and minimizing distance while risking landing in the water. Or flick it straight as far as I can past where the fairway turns, and play along the OB line, away from the water. The former is more reliable on the scoreboard. The latter can allow my best number and my worst.

After that there are two chances to air it out over 300 feet before heading into the deep woods. There won't be another chance for a free drive until 16.

These, "pros" might sound like complaints, but they aren't. They are what I love about this course. Despite all these challenges, I know someday I will defeat Tim Triplett. And if it takes a hundred rounds, it will be all the sweeter.
Cons: The biggest flaw here is the imbalance in direction. Far more holes go right to left, putting RHFH or LHBH players at a distinct disadvantage. (Oh, maybe that's why the course always seems to beat me.) I've only seen one other course with the disparity as high as it is here.

The only hole I actually dislike is 15. It's a straight shot down what is actually a running trail. It's a bit much, and doesn't really fit thematically with how the course has gone. There's not another way to do it, since the railroad tracks prevent them from expanding any more in the direction expansion would be needed. Still not a good hole in my opinion.
Other Thoughts: I think my feelings on my old friend have been summed up. It's a love hate relationship, clearly.

I should also note that though I play the blue tees 90% of the time, there are three tees on every hole, and five color alignments, that allow you to play different styles. The far tee offers a lengthy water carry across an attractive lake,(the same from 6) that while the major point of the park, is not seen too often from the course.

Of course, I doubt many people need much encouragement to visit my old enemy. It's the only decent course for a long way in any direction.

1    6/8/2013   6/28/2013
Review By: DavidSauls
Pros: Very nice, mostly wooded course with lots of variety and interesting angles in shots. Nothing repetitive.

The course starts with a few holes in open woods (little underbrush), plays a few open holes, then goes into denser woods for much of the round. It returns with a couple of open shots and finishes back in the open woods.

The 3 tees on each holes give lots of choice and variety; for the most part they offer not just a change of distance, but very different routes.

The scenery is very nice, working around a lake and then into a subtropical forest.

Very convenient to I-95, for travelers to take a break heading to or from Florida.
Cons: It's mostly a wooded course so if like airing it out, there are only a few open holes to do so.

The gold tees are not only long, but have involve some extremely tight lines in places.

It's all solid, but not a lot of "wow" factor or signature holes.
Other Thoughts: I played the blue tees but took a peek at the others. I'd rate the blue tees alone a 3.5, but the variety designed in the multiple tees bumps up my rating.

I played a day or two after a tropical storm passed through, yet standing water was only a minor issue. I mention this only because I've heard stories of its I-95 partner, The Sarge, being a bit of a swamp after heavy rains. Though it was a humid summer midday in the woods, bugs weren't a particular problem, either.

Georgia Gem

2-4    6/10/2013   6/11/2013
Review By: nygfaninva
Pros: Wow. I was surprised at how great this course is. At first approach from the parking lot, it looked like a simple pitch and putt course, but looks can be very deceiving.

Let me get some bonus stuff out of the way. This park is beautiful. The course begins near a great playground for the family and has a building with restrooms and .......wait for it.....a working water fountain! The park it self is gorgeous and has a small lake with a wonderful running/walking path and playing courts. I list these things only because many Dgers have families that don't play and can bring the whole gang out. Much to do besides the course itself.

Now on to the course....So many Pros. There are three tee boxes (real not natural), maps on each box! Very first time friendly! The longs are long enough and placed at different positions for different looks! Challenging longs and fun enough from shorts. It has a great mix of open and long shots as well as short and technical. Many types of shots, BH/FH you will need them all. This course was slightly wooded, then open, the heavily wooded. Long enough for a great hike as well as a challenging game of disc golf. Just all you could want from a course. They even have a stand that included a course map, a drop box for found discs (it states it is open on certain dates should you want to show up hopeful to get your disc returned) and they even had printed score sheets available!
Cons: Not many. If I had to nitpick, I would say the deep woods were covered by huge spider webs and the inhabitants thereof. Bugs and ticks were many. Some areas of the park could get crowded with non DGers and some errant throws could cause some issues, but these are very small cons. This is a top rate time of disc golf!

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5