Savannah (Pooler), GA
Tom Triplett DGC Share
Uploaded By: solomon.trenton Hole #16 (Taken 4/2010)
3 / 335ft.   3 / 356ft.   3 / 356ft.   4 / 562ft. Par / Distance:

Tom Triplett has something for everyone

1    7/12/2014   7/25/2014
Review By: chainedwraith
Pros: Beautiful park with a proper balance between open, semi-wooded, and densely wooded holes. The course is right on the right side as soon as you come into the park entrance so very easy to find hole 1 and get started.

Hole 7 brings you into the woods and from there until hole 14 you have that sense of peaceful seclusion which I always appreciate.

Multiple tees with good separation providing excellent diversity in play ability by skill level.

Tee signs are adequate. I had no issues with navigation. I had glanced at the map online before leaving my hotel which may have helped, but otherwise I never got lost or ended up in the wrong place. It seemed like most next tees are visible from the previous basket and the course had a nice flow to it and the holes have good separation from one another.

The holes all seemed fair and challenging with the only debate being hole 15 which is a little tighter than I would prefer to see on a filler hole.
Cons: Nothing major.

Might not be too big of a deal for some, but I'm not a fan of natural tees but these are adequate even though it was wet and a little muddy. I would still prefer concrete but if you are used to natural tees these are as good as any.

If your local courses loop back after 9-holes like most of mine do, it becomes something you notice on courses that don't. Tom Triplett does not loop back so remember to bring what you need with you for the entire round.

There seems to be lacking a true signature hole, but for the most part its not too big of a deal since most of the holes are pretty solid anyways.. just no real "wow" factor that I can recall.
Other Thoughts: I was there at the crack of dawn and had the whole course to myself. It was drizzling the entire round so not many pedestrians either. I didn't see another disc golfer until I was walking to hole 15 and someone was putting on hole 4. I encountered a couple of young deer foraging in the woods just off the fairway in the area of holes 8 - 10. That was pretty cool.

Normally I wouldn't feel fair reviewing a course in which I played the entire round in the rain, but in this case I made an exception because A) the light rain was annoying but bearable and once I got in the woods it was more like getting dripped on than actual rain. B) I was actually shooting a great round from blue tees and I think most disc golfers would agree that when you are playing well, most other things such as the weather don't necessarily detract from the experience as much as they would if shooting bad. I had a good time here despite the relentless drizzle.

Savannah has a great course here and I would certainly recommend it to anyone passing through. I know I will be back someday for sure!

Triplett

1    4/26/2014   5/5/2014
Review By: Peter S
Pros: The many tee boxes per hole allow players to chose the challenge level they want to play. Playes in a free park with restrooms by parking area. Some water carries from long tees by a large lake. Short tees play along side of lake but no over water carries for the beginners. A small ravine may hold water on 18 adds fun and challenge to finish. Great mix of some tricky open shots with water or o.b. and tight woods.

Southern hospitility. Although we were a group of 3 plus a dog slowing us down a group of 4 playing leagues let us play through and later kept us on course when we were about to make a wrong turn.
Cons: Rubber tees were very slippery after only a short light sprinkle. No indication of next tee area on some holes.
Other Thoughts: No indication here that dogs are not permitted. Dogs are allowed in the park. However, they are strict about dogs not being allowed in the d/golf & other common areas in the park. The park care taker saw we were from out of state and allowed us to keep dog by road during first few holes in shared area and then told us when we get to woods not to worry.

Triple T(r)ees at Triplett

1    12/22/2013   1/6/2014
Review By: BogeyNoMore
This review was updated on 1/12/2014
Pros: Nice course in a busy, well maintained, multi-use park.
• Variety: Reasonable mix of fairway shapes and lengths. Predominantly well to very well-wooded, but starts out with a few lightly wooded and semi-open holes to let you warm-up. Provides at least a few chances to use most shots in your repertoire.
• Pretty solid design for the most part. The very little elevation present is used to its potential to provide rollaway potential on a couple of holes. Water in play on a 1+ holes (depending on the tees you play from).
• Equipment: Tees and baskets were all in good condition.Nice signage (graffiti free!) and scorecard/maps keep you moving the right direction. Except for a few spots that are a bit confusing, routing/navigation is pretty good for the most part - I was able to finish my round without much trouble. Regardless of the good signage, be prepared to walk a few fairways to spot blind baskets and find the line you want to take.
• 3 separate tees for every hole sometimes offer different looks, sometimes only change distance. Interestingly color coded to provide up to 5 pre-defined lay-outs to accommodate varying skill levels and variety. Seems more confusing at first than it actually is (see Other Thoughts).
• Little underbrush to obscure discs (and leaves weren't as big a problem as I've seen on other well wooded courses).
Cons:
• Holes 8 (blue) and 15 seem rather poke'n'pray'ish, with scores being due more to luck than to skill… 15 particularly so. I'd say it was just a throwaway hole to connect 14 and 16, but it doesn't even do that job well - simply doesn't fit in at all.
• Terrain is quite flat. Kudos for making good use of it where possible to create some rollaway potential on 4 and 6, but elevation simply makes courses more interesting to play IMO.
• Some nice water carries from a couple of the longs, but I'd have liked to seen a couple of the short/med tees bring the water into play as well.
• While the holes have varied shapes and lengths, they lack decent variety in terms of fairway type, and begin to feel a bit repetitive towards the end of a round. The longest set of tees provide a couple more chances to air it out on the water carries. Fairly well executed overall, but nothing really stood as exceptional and while it's a good course, it simply didn't leave me with any real desire to return.
Other Thoughts: If finesse is your game, Triplett might be your cup of tea, but if grip'n'rip is your idea of fun round, stay away - Triplett will have you playing lumberjack.

5 color coded "layouts": 3 sets of tees are color coded to accommodate five different skill levels; white is always the easiest, blue in the middle, and gold offers the most challenge. In actuality, there are no additional tees for "Red" or "Black" layouts. Red is simply a pre-defined mix of short and medium tees to to provide an intermediate challenge, while black is a similar pre-defined mix of med and long tees offering a more advanced challenge. Hence, they've created 5 pre-defined, color-coded "layouts" to accommodate varying skill levels using 3 sets of tees. This could be useful for standardizing scores for local league play and tournaments.

Reasonably well executed for the most part, I'd say any of the individual layouts is good as a stand-alone course (3.0), and feel 3.5 is in order given the variety afforded by the 2 extra sets of tees, but think the course falls a bit short of excellence.

I don't necessarily regret stopping here, but can't help but wonder if my time on the road wouldn't have been better spent playing a different course. Triplett seems like it'd be great for league play, but didn't quite strike me as a destination worthy course.

That said, it's only 2 miles off I-95, so it's incredibly convenient to add to your courses played list if you're passing by.

Decent challenge

1    11/28/2012   12/30/2012
Review By: lukejones
Pros: This seems to be a solid semi-pro caliber course with plenty of challenges to keep the round interesting. If I played the course often, I could also see where the multiple tee locations would give a nice variety. Nice to have true par 4's and 5's vs. all pitch and putt par 3's
Cons: Navigation was a bit challenging for our first time playing the course, but we managed decently

Snakes!

Not as many memorable holes as at The Sarge, Trophy Lakes, Honey Creek, and W.R. Jackson course in Appling, but still challenging enough.
Other Thoughts: I wouldn't go out of my way to play the course again compared to others we played on our trip, but if I were in the area, I'd definitely stop by as it was fun and decently challenging.

Welcome to the Jungle

2-4    6/5/2011   6/7/2011
Review By: johndhjr71
Pros: This course is gorgeous! Great Tee Pad signs at every tee box. Multiple Tee Pads. I've played the from the Blue and the Red and both were challenging and fun. Good Flow. Practice Basket. I liked the variety of open holes, to tight fairways, to hyzer and anhyzer shots in the woods/jungle.
Cons: Snakes!!! The course has a good flow but could use more directional signs. I had to follow a local to get to the next hole several times. Make sure you bring insect repellant. Can't bring a dog!
Other Thoughts: This is a great course to play when its dry. I really enjoyed this course. The first time I played it I wasn't that big of a fan. Played during the Mosquito Madness Tournament and loved, loved, loved it.

2-4    11/6/2010   11/8/2010
Review By: john david
Pros: awesome layout and design! three tee pads catering to all levels of play! i played all three tees; golds 60, blues 48 and whites 47! scorecards at the main station with a map on the back. loved the main sign with the history of the course with all those who contributed. the course looked really groomed in the grassy areas not so much in the wooded areas-
Cons: tee pads blew. some were rubber, carpet, and natural that all needed help. really loved the carpet but it looked a little ghetto- there were no next tee signs to help navigate---thank goodness for the map on the back. i would never have found some of the tee pads. there were tee signs but some of the distances were way off- #15 in particular. speaking of 15, the entire hole looked forced (design lingo) but there looked like an outside tee which was really neat (just a marker) then there was the gold tee that looked totally out of sink with the rest of the layout. it was so worng they even had to have a double mando to justify it. not enough trash cans-trash and dead limbs in the wooded areas. they had three tees but 5 markers. i'm guessing it was a mixture but you have to ask why! it was confusing.
Other Thoughts: i've heard alot about the course and was excited to play esp. after a long drive-it's right off I95. tee pads were the biggest let down. i took .5 off my score for that, .25 for lack of next tee signs, and .25 off for trash and dead limbs in the wooded areas. looked like the county cut the grass and nobody groomed the wooded areas...?
a note to whoever controls the course, keep it simple! 5 markers on your tee pads?? stick with three and rate them accordingly, get signage that informs you not confuses.
all in all i would rec. the course esp. for those traveling-just get a score card with the map on the back to get where you need to go.

beautiful course

1    5/22/2010   7/29/2010
Review By: douglat2
Pros: beautiful course, at least three tees on every hole. love the shot over the lake. the pin on top of the mound is iconic.
Cons: some tees could be marked more clearly, and some of the wooded shots are pretty congested.

Great Course

2-4    7/13/2009   7/13/2009
Review By: I3ooI3oo
Pros: 3 Tee pads per hole change the course a good deal. There is a nice mixture of open long holes and shorter tighter wooded holes. There are 2-3 holes where water can come into play. The holes that play through the woods are well laid out so you need both accuracy and distance to birdie any hole. There is enough shade to stop and cool off in the heat of the summer.
Cons: Lost a disc in the water on 4. Not really the course's fault though. When it says par 5 don't try to get there in 2 you might no make over the water as I didn't.
Other Thoughts: There could be some more maintenance done to keep the signs in better shape. The locals I ran into let me play with them the first round and showed me where the pins were when they were blind shots. I would recommend this course to anyone going up I-95 past Savannah as the course is only 3 minutes from the interstate.

When in Savannah...

2-4    11/11/2008   6/13/2009
Review By: ibekent
Pros: This is the first course I ever played, and it made me want to play more. It also frustrated me because I lost my shiny new disc in the lake on #4. That pretty much sums up the course: it is full of interesting and tricky holes. (I love #15.) The tees are not concrete, but they're flat and (mostly) well marked. The signs are fine, and benches are at most holes. The locals are friendly and, if you can take the summer heat in Savannah, the course will challenge you without exhausting you. The alternate tees do not just add distance, they add major risk/reward decisions.
Cons: Mosquitoes the size of airplanes. I could actually hear the impact when they landed on my bag. You should bring a servant to carry Citronella buckets if you play near dusk. Any other cons are minor: some alternate tees are hard to find. There are few trash cans. Some of the tees and signs are worn, and some fairways can get marshy when it rains (which exacerbates the mosquito issue).
Other Thoughts: I try to play this course whenever I visit Savannah. For other visitors: it's a 20 minute drive from the touristy part of Savannah. Give yourself some extra time. Also, in a town crammed full of spacious parks, this is the only course - lucky thing it's a good one.

Give it a try

12/17/2007   12/25/2007
Review By: mactavius
Pros: Well marked and challenging course with tight fairways in the woods. Great variation in distance from tee to basket.
Cons: Grass tees. Hard to put in words, but the course just didn't wow me.
Other Thoughts: I lost my favorite disc on #4 in the lake. Not the course's fault though.