Savannah (Pooler), GA
Tom Triplett DGC Share
Uploaded By: solomon.trenton Hole #4 (Taken 4/2010)
4 / 520ft.   5 / 760ft.   5 / 760ft.   5 / 975ft. Par / Distance:

< Prev 1 2 3
Enjoyable

1    8/22/2014   8/24/2014
Review By: gvdg jake
Pros: Played this course early in the morning during a week with a heat wave going through the south. I liked how there is a great deal of parking near by and a disc catcher practice cage near hole 1. Had a very nice kiosk also.

Plenty of benches and trash cans

I played the reds (since it was hot as hell and I was on a family vacation). I found the layout to be a fun but challenging layout. Most pads were concrete pads but some were a carpet type that still had great grip. I noticed on most holes they had next tee signs that were fairly large. GREAT tee signs, some of the best I've ever seen.

Course had a good flow to it which ends at the parking lot/hole 1 area. First 3 holes were in the small patch of woods along the lake. Then it got to a few straight holes of wide open shots with tons of road and path OB in play. Made for a great challenge. It went into wooded holes after that. Tons of ace runs on the course. This is a course that will make you use every shot you have at some point.

Cons: Got lost after 13 and finally found 14 near hole 5 pad in the woods. Never found hole 15 though. Still curious where it was. But from 14 to 16 it was a longgg walk back towards the last 3 holes near the parking lot

Only safety issue I had on the entire course was hole 18. There was an older couple in a gazebo to the right of the tee box, I gave warning before throwing but it still made me nervous if a grip lock or bad kick would occur. Also, long of 18 is a playground, luckily with it being hot and kinda early kids weren't there.
Other Thoughts: I thought this was a great course. Good flow for the most part and a lot of fun holes. Course was well taken care of. Very glad I could break away for a hour or two to play this course. If you're ever in the area it's a must play!

Love this course

5+    7/5/2014   7/23/2014
Review By: Barneybboy
Pros: This course has a little bit of everything. You go from moderately wooded areas to open throws. Then you go to water hazards to dense wooded areas. The signing on this course is present and very clear to understand. You don't get lost because signs tell you right where to go for the next hole. Even in the hot summer there is enough trees to block out the sun most of the holes keeping it less hot.
Cons: The big lake that is there can be a beast. Hole 4 will eat up your discs if you swing them to far to the left. Also the basket for hole 4 has a lot of bees around it. I would recommend playing a different target for that hole unless you like braving the swarm of bees by the basket.
Other Thoughts: This is a great course. I have been multiple times and even when it is crowded the flow is smooth and you don't find yourself waiting hardly at all. One of my favorite courses that I have played.

Very Good Course

2-4    7/9/2014   7/14/2014
Review By: jeffboi
This review was updated on 7/28/2014
Pros: Some wide open shots, some technical play - a nice mix! Multiple tee boxes, well maintained and all in good condition. I highly recommend you give it a try!
Cons: Certain parts of the course could be better marked to make following along to the next tee easier.
Other Thoughts: You probably won't loose too many discs here, but you will always find a great challenge. A good course worth playing for the first time or multiple times per week - every week.

An Old Friend, an Old Enemy

5+    7/29/2013   8/11/2013
Review By: reposado
Pros: Before I say anything else, I should note that this course is my nemesis. It's one of the three courses that I have played the most, and it always manages to break my heart. I can't count the amount of times I have gone into the woods playing on fire, thinking I would finally get the better of old Tom, only to fall apart on the back nine. Not that I've never aced the back nine. I've often rallied from a disastrous beginning to end on a run, but somehow, Tom never lets me put together a solid round.

I hope that's a testament to the course. There's a lot of challenge here. Most of it is provided by the trees. There are several holes here pulled right of North Carolina. If you land off course, you're likely spending at least one shot getting back on course and if you are tempted to drive out, you might be in for a long day of thunk-thunk-thunk. The obstacles at Triplett are the trunks, not teh underbrush. Expect errant throws to be easiy found, but expect them to cost you at least a stroke. Many a bad round here has begun by hitting first one tree, then another until finally, the will is broken. Behind on the scorecard, it is tempting to attempt to much. But playing reckless here isn't going to get you much. That just what Tom wants.

The real devil of the course is 4. After a few holes in the trees. (And how much do I love 2 with dense tree cover but a sweet line coming in from either direction. Where was I? Right, back to 4.) A sharp early dog left then a looooong run to the pin, with a lake to your left the hole way. This prompts a decision that I start thinking about in the car. Play it backhand with a Dragon, hugging the lake and minimizing distance while risking landing in the water. Or flick it straight as far as I can past where the fairway turns, and play along the OB line, away from the water. The former is more reliable on the scoreboard. The latter can allow my best number and my worst.

After that there are two chances to air it out over 300 feet before heading into the deep woods. There won't be another chance for a free drive until 16.

These, "pros" might sound like complaints, but they aren't. They are what I love about this course. Despite all these challenges, I know someday I will defeat Tim Triplett. And if it takes a hundred rounds, it will be all the sweeter.
Cons: The biggest flaw here is the imbalance in direction. Far more holes go right to left, putting RHFH or LHBH players at a distinct disadvantage. (Oh, maybe that's why the course always seems to beat me.) I've only seen one other course with the disparity as high as it is here.

The only hole I actually dislike is 15. It's a straight shot down what is actually a running trail. It's a bit much, and doesn't really fit thematically with how the course has gone. There's not another way to do it, since the railroad tracks prevent them from expanding any more in the direction expansion would be needed. Still not a good hole in my opinion.
Other Thoughts: I think my feelings on my old friend have been summed up. It's a love hate relationship, clearly.

I should also note that though I play the blue tees 90% of the time, there are three tees on every hole, and five color alignments, that allow you to play different styles. The far tee offers a lengthy water carry across an attractive lake,(the same from 6) that while the major point of the park, is not seen too often from the course.

Of course, I doubt many people need much encouragement to visit my old enemy. It's the only decent course for a long way in any direction.

1    6/8/2013   6/28/2013
Review By: DavidSauls
Pros: Very nice, mostly wooded course with lots of variety and interesting angles in shots. Nothing repetitive.

The course starts with a few holes in open woods (little underbrush), plays a few open holes, then goes into denser woods for much of the round. It returns with a couple of open shots and finishes back in the open woods.

The 3 tees on each holes give lots of choice and variety; for the most part they offer not just a change of distance, but very different routes.

The scenery is very nice, working around a lake and then into a subtropical forest.

Very convenient to I-95, for travelers to take a break heading to or from Florida.
Cons: It's mostly a wooded course so if like airing it out, there are only a few open holes to do so.

The gold tees are not only long, but have involve some extremely tight lines in places.

It's all solid, but not a lot of "wow" factor or signature holes.
Other Thoughts: I played the blue tees but took a peek at the others. I'd rate the blue tees alone a 3.5, but the variety designed in the multiple tees bumps up my rating.

I played a day or two after a tropical storm passed through, yet standing water was only a minor issue. I mention this only because I've heard stories of its I-95 partner, The Sarge, being a bit of a swamp after heavy rains. Though it was a humid summer midday in the woods, bugs weren't a particular problem, either.

Georgia Gem

2-4    6/10/2013   6/11/2013
Review By: nygfaninva
Pros: Wow. I was surprised at how great this course is. At first approach from the parking lot, it looked like a simple pitch and putt course, but looks can be very deceiving.

Let me get some bonus stuff out of the way. This park is beautiful. The course begins near a great playground for the family and has a building with restrooms and .......wait for it.....a working water fountain! The park it self is gorgeous and has a small lake with a wonderful running/walking path and playing courts. I list these things only because many Dgers have families that don't play and can bring the whole gang out. Much to do besides the course itself.

Now on to the course....So many Pros. There are three tee boxes (real not natural), maps on each box! Very first time friendly! The longs are long enough and placed at different positions for different looks! Challenging longs and fun enough from shorts. It has a great mix of open and long shots as well as short and technical. Many types of shots, BH/FH you will need them all. This course was slightly wooded, then open, the heavily wooded. Long enough for a great hike as well as a challenging game of disc golf. Just all you could want from a course. They even have a stand that included a course map, a drop box for found discs (it states it is open on certain dates should you want to show up hopeful to get your disc returned) and they even had printed score sheets available!
Cons: Not many. If I had to nitpick, I would say the deep woods were covered by huge spider webs and the inhabitants thereof. Bugs and ticks were many. Some areas of the park could get crowded with non DGers and some errant throws could cause some issues, but these are very small cons. This is a top rate time of disc golf!

Awesome Round

2-4    5/26/2013   5/28/2013
Review By: DNewq
Pros: - Some of the best tee signs on a course that I have come across. As others have mentioned there are 3 sets of tee pads throughout the course, which sounds confusing. The tee signs match up to the layout of each hole almost perfectly, making it alot easier to figure out.
- I played the blue tees and enjoyed my round. Would like to take a stab at the Gold tees next time I play here. It truly looks like a top notch layout from Gold.
- I personally thought the holes had a near perfect variation in terms of distances, woods/open. Plenty of challenges with the treelined narrow fairway. Forces you to play smart. Only minor comment from the blue tee layout was that the course seemed to favor doglegs to the left, only remember one dogleg right on the whole course.
- Sometimes this is overlooked, but ZERO litter on this course. That too me indicates that local players look after the course and make sure it doesnt become an eyesore of a multiple use park facility.
Cons: - You get the sense that when this course is busy, it really feels busy. The walking path is quite close to several holes, which could require you to wait on throws. I also get a sense that discs could be easily lost here, which would slow up play as well.
Other Thoughts: - All in all I had an awesome experience here. I went super early in the morning and the temps were perfect for late May, (I got lucky). The gate was open at that hour, so I wouldn't hesitate going at that early hour if that is your preference.
- Overall impression was fantastic. It seems as though the Savannah Disc Golf Club, really has it together, which makes me hopeful that they can get one or two more course installed in the Greater Savannah area, crossing my fingers.
- Fun challenging round, and have hence marked this course as a favorite, check it out.

Quite a course

1    3/12/2013   3/12/2013
Review By: ervin
Pros: The tees are varied, and not just longer. They are truly set up in a way to challenge those who want the challenge and play a lot easier for beginners or folks who would rather just take it easy and work on short game. The shots are varied, and the water comes into play a couple times. The drive from the gold tees on 14 is kind of daunting as it goes right over a pond into an alley with a mondo on the right. If you miss your shot, you're not going to part that one. Really an enjoyable round.
Cons: The back three holes were a little hard to find, but that's such a minor concern. I guess the lack of shifting elevations might be a con, but with so many fun shots why complain abou that? I really enjoyed this course.

Must Play In the Lowcountry

2-4    4/22/2011   4/27/2011
Review By: VB Chains
Pros: I play this course every time I go to HHI. Great mix of tees and varying holes. Very fun and challenging cousre for all skill levels. I love holes 2 & 4
Cons: Would be 5 rating if there were concreate tees.
Other Thoughts: If you have the choice between the Sarge or Tom Triplet pick Triplet. It worth the extra few miles. Bring bug spray.

Well maintained and fun course!

1    4/4/2011   4/4/2011
Review By: JMac
This review was updated on 4/7/2011
Pros: A great mix of dense and lightly wooded holes with a couple of holes to BOMB it on. The best signage I have seen with multiple tee locations and plenty of seating. Most tee's are spread apart so that you get a completely different look at the hole. A great course with good flow and scenery.
Cons: This park is very popular for good reason, so you will need to pay attention to what's around the bend before you RIP IT! Could use a few more trash can's and some of the tee pad's could use some work, like maybe concrete. The course holds a lot of water so give it some time after a good soaking or plan to putt from a puddle.

< Prev 1 2 3