Savannah (Pooler), GA
Tom Triplett DGC Share
Uploaded By: solomon.trenton Hole #13 (Taken 4/2010)
3 / 258ft.   3 / 325ft.   4 / 571ft.   4 / 571ft. Par / Distance:

< Prev 1 2 3 4
Triple T(r)ees at Triplett

1    12/22/2013   1/6/2014
Review By: BogeyNoMore
This review was updated on 1/12/2014
Pros: Nice course in a busy, well maintained, multi-use park.
• Variety: Reasonable mix of fairway shapes and lengths. Predominantly well to very well-wooded, but starts out with a few lightly wooded and semi-open holes to let you warm-up. Provides at least a few chances to use most shots in your repertoire.
• Pretty solid design for the most part. The very little elevation present is used to its potential to provide rollaway potential on a couple of holes. Water in play on a 1+ holes (depending on the tees you play from).
• Equipment: Tees and baskets were all in good condition.Nice signage (graffiti free!) and scorecard/maps keep you moving the right direction. Except for a few spots that are a bit confusing, routing/navigation is pretty good for the most part - I was able to finish my round without much trouble. Regardless of the good signage, be prepared to walk a few fairways to spot blind baskets and find the line you want to take.
• 3 separate tees for every hole sometimes offer different looks, sometimes only change distance. Interestingly color coded to provide up to 5 pre-defined lay-outs to accommodate varying skill levels and variety. Seems more confusing at first than it actually is (see Other Thoughts).
• Little underbrush to obscure discs (and leaves weren't as big a problem as I've seen on other well wooded courses).
Cons:
• Holes 8 (blue) and 15 seem rather poke'n'pray'ish, with scores being due more to luck than to skill… 15 particularly so. I'd say it was just a throwaway hole to connect 14 and 16, but it doesn't even do that job well - simply doesn't fit in at all.
• Terrain is quite flat. Kudos for making good use of it where possible to create some rollaway potential on 4 and 6, but elevation simply makes courses more interesting to play IMO.
• Some nice water carries from a couple of the longs, but I'd have liked to seen a couple of the short/med tees bring the water into play as well.
• While the holes have varied shapes and lengths, they lack decent variety in terms of fairway type, and begin to feel a bit repetitive towards the end of a round. The longest set of tees provide a couple more chances to air it out on the water carries. Fairly well executed overall, but nothing really stood as exceptional and while it's a good course, it simply didn't leave me with any real desire to return.
Other Thoughts: If finesse is your game, Triplett might be your cup of tea, but if grip'n'rip is your idea of fun round, stay away - Triplett will have you playing lumberjack.

5 color coded "layouts": 3 sets of tees are color coded to accommodate five different skill levels; white is always the easiest, blue in the middle, and gold offers the most challenge. In actuality, there are no additional tees for "Red" or "Black" layouts. Red is simply a pre-defined mix of short and medium tees to to provide an intermediate challenge, while black is a similar pre-defined mix of med and long tees offering a more advanced challenge. Hence, they've created 5 pre-defined, color-coded "layouts" to accommodate varying skill levels using 3 sets of tees. This could be useful for standardizing scores for local league play and tournaments.

Reasonably well executed for the most part, I'd say any of the individual layouts is good as a stand-alone course (3.0), and feel 3.5 is in order given the variety afforded by the 2 extra sets of tees, but think the course falls a bit short of excellence.

I don't necessarily regret stopping here, but can't help but wonder if my time on the road wouldn't have been better spent playing a different course. Triplett seems like it'd be great for league play, but didn't quite strike me as a destination worthy course.

That said, it's only 2 miles off I-95, so it's incredibly convenient to add to your courses played list if you're passing by.

An Old Friend, an Old Enemy

5+    7/29/2013   8/11/2013
Review By: reposado
Pros: Before I say anything else, I should note that this course is my nemesis. It's one of the three courses that I have played the most, and it always manages to break my heart. I can't count the amount of times I have gone into the woods playing on fire, thinking I would finally get the better of old Tom, only to fall apart on the back nine. Not that I've never aced the back nine. I've often rallied from a disastrous beginning to end on a run, but somehow, Tom never lets me put together a solid round.

I hope that's a testament to the course. There's a lot of challenge here. Most of it is provided by the trees. There are several holes here pulled right of North Carolina. If you land off course, you're likely spending at least one shot getting back on course and if you are tempted to drive out, you might be in for a long day of thunk-thunk-thunk. The obstacles at Triplett are the trunks, not teh underbrush. Expect errant throws to be easiy found, but expect them to cost you at least a stroke. Many a bad round here has begun by hitting first one tree, then another until finally, the will is broken. Behind on the scorecard, it is tempting to attempt to much. But playing reckless here isn't going to get you much. That just what Tom wants.

The real devil of the course is 4. After a few holes in the trees. (And how much do I love 2 with dense tree cover but a sweet line coming in from either direction. Where was I? Right, back to 4.) A sharp early dog left then a looooong run to the pin, with a lake to your left the hole way. This prompts a decision that I start thinking about in the car. Play it backhand with a Dragon, hugging the lake and minimizing distance while risking landing in the water. Or flick it straight as far as I can past where the fairway turns, and play along the OB line, away from the water. The former is more reliable on the scoreboard. The latter can allow my best number and my worst.

After that there are two chances to air it out over 300 feet before heading into the deep woods. There won't be another chance for a free drive until 16.

These, "pros" might sound like complaints, but they aren't. They are what I love about this course. Despite all these challenges, I know someday I will defeat Tim Triplett. And if it takes a hundred rounds, it will be all the sweeter.
Cons: The biggest flaw here is the imbalance in direction. Far more holes go right to left, putting RHFH or LHBH players at a distinct disadvantage. (Oh, maybe that's why the course always seems to beat me.) I've only seen one other course with the disparity as high as it is here.

The only hole I actually dislike is 15. It's a straight shot down what is actually a running trail. It's a bit much, and doesn't really fit thematically with how the course has gone. There's not another way to do it, since the railroad tracks prevent them from expanding any more in the direction expansion would be needed. Still not a good hole in my opinion.
Other Thoughts: I think my feelings on my old friend have been summed up. It's a love hate relationship, clearly.

I should also note that though I play the blue tees 90% of the time, there are three tees on every hole, and five color alignments, that allow you to play different styles. The far tee offers a lengthy water carry across an attractive lake,(the same from 6) that while the major point of the park, is not seen too often from the course.

Of course, I doubt many people need much encouragement to visit my old enemy. It's the only decent course for a long way in any direction.

1    6/8/2013   6/28/2013
Review By: DavidSauls
Pros: Very nice, mostly wooded course with lots of variety and interesting angles in shots. Nothing repetitive.

The course starts with a few holes in open woods (little underbrush), plays a few open holes, then goes into denser woods for much of the round. It returns with a couple of open shots and finishes back in the open woods.

The 3 tees on each holes give lots of choice and variety; for the most part they offer not just a change of distance, but very different routes.

The scenery is very nice, working around a lake and then into a subtropical forest.

Very convenient to I-95, for travelers to take a break heading to or from Florida.
Cons: It's mostly a wooded course so if like airing it out, there are only a few open holes to do so.

The gold tees are not only long, but have involve some extremely tight lines in places.

It's all solid, but not a lot of "wow" factor or signature holes.
Other Thoughts: I played the blue tees but took a peek at the others. I'd rate the blue tees alone a 3.5, but the variety designed in the multiple tees bumps up my rating.

I played a day or two after a tropical storm passed through, yet standing water was only a minor issue. I mention this only because I've heard stories of its I-95 partner, The Sarge, being a bit of a swamp after heavy rains. Though it was a humid summer midday in the woods, bugs weren't a particular problem, either.

Georgia Gem

2-4    6/10/2013   6/11/2013
Review By: nygfaninva
Pros: Wow. I was surprised at how great this course is. At first approach from the parking lot, it looked like a simple pitch and putt course, but looks can be very deceiving.

Let me get some bonus stuff out of the way. This park is beautiful. The course begins near a great playground for the family and has a building with restrooms and .......wait for it.....a working water fountain! The park it self is gorgeous and has a small lake with a wonderful running/walking path and playing courts. I list these things only because many Dgers have families that don't play and can bring the whole gang out. Much to do besides the course itself.

Now on to the course....So many Pros. There are three tee boxes (real not natural), maps on each box! Very first time friendly! The longs are long enough and placed at different positions for different looks! Challenging longs and fun enough from shorts. It has a great mix of open and long shots as well as short and technical. Many types of shots, BH/FH you will need them all. This course was slightly wooded, then open, the heavily wooded. Long enough for a great hike as well as a challenging game of disc golf. Just all you could want from a course. They even have a stand that included a course map, a drop box for found discs (it states it is open on certain dates should you want to show up hopeful to get your disc returned) and they even had printed score sheets available!
Cons: Not many. If I had to nitpick, I would say the deep woods were covered by huge spider webs and the inhabitants thereof. Bugs and ticks were many. Some areas of the park could get crowded with non DGers and some errant throws could cause some issues, but these are very small cons. This is a top rate time of disc golf!

Awesome Round

2-4    5/26/2013   5/28/2013
Review By: DNewq
Pros: - Some of the best tee signs on a course that I have come across. As others have mentioned there are 3 sets of tee pads throughout the course, which sounds confusing. The tee signs match up to the layout of each hole almost perfectly, making it alot easier to figure out.
- I played the blue tees and enjoyed my round. Would like to take a stab at the Gold tees next time I play here. It truly looks like a top notch layout from Gold.
- I personally thought the holes had a near perfect variation in terms of distances, woods/open. Plenty of challenges with the treelined narrow fairway. Forces you to play smart. Only minor comment from the blue tee layout was that the course seemed to favor doglegs to the left, only remember one dogleg right on the whole course.
- Sometimes this is overlooked, but ZERO litter on this course. That too me indicates that local players look after the course and make sure it doesnt become an eyesore of a multiple use park facility.
Cons: - You get the sense that when this course is busy, it really feels busy. The walking path is quite close to several holes, which could require you to wait on throws. I also get a sense that discs could be easily lost here, which would slow up play as well.
Other Thoughts: - All in all I had an awesome experience here. I went super early in the morning and the temps were perfect for late May, (I got lucky). The gate was open at that hour, so I wouldn't hesitate going at that early hour if that is your preference.
- Overall impression was fantastic. It seems as though the Savannah Disc Golf Club, really has it together, which makes me hopeful that they can get one or two more course installed in the Greater Savannah area, crossing my fingers.
- Fun challenging round, and have hence marked this course as a favorite, check it out.

Quite a course

1    3/12/2013   3/12/2013
Review By: ervin
Pros: The tees are varied, and not just longer. They are truly set up in a way to challenge those who want the challenge and play a lot easier for beginners or folks who would rather just take it easy and work on short game. The shots are varied, and the water comes into play a couple times. The drive from the gold tees on 14 is kind of daunting as it goes right over a pond into an alley with a mondo on the right. If you miss your shot, you're not going to part that one. Really an enjoyable round.
Cons: The back three holes were a little hard to find, but that's such a minor concern. I guess the lack of shifting elevations might be a con, but with so many fun shots why complain abou that? I really enjoyed this course.

Decent challenge

1    11/28/2012   12/30/2012
Review By: lukejones
Pros: This seems to be a solid semi-pro caliber course with plenty of challenges to keep the round interesting. If I played the course often, I could also see where the multiple tee locations would give a nice variety. Nice to have true par 4's and 5's vs. all pitch and putt par 3's
Cons: Navigation was a bit challenging for our first time playing the course, but we managed decently

Snakes!

Not as many memorable holes as at The Sarge, Trophy Lakes, Honey Creek, and W.R. Jackson course in Appling, but still challenging enough.
Other Thoughts: I wouldn't go out of my way to play the course again compared to others we played on our trip, but if I were in the area, I'd definitely stop by as it was fun and decently challenging.

Very Solid Course In Savannah

2-4    5/13/2012   5/13/2012
Review By: sillybizz
Pros: This is a very solid course in the outskirts of Augusta. There is a practice basket near hole one as well as a course kiosk and drop box bin which looks like it gets some use. The first couple of holes have some trees and don't look to be easy layup holes, but not pound you into submission holes right off the bat; I like a course that warms me up to the nasty stuff like this one does.The tee signs are incredible and a must in this park or things could get confusing fast. The color coding works well here with painted concrete pieces or wood stumps letting you know which pad you are at and gives you a 'you are here' type of sign and from there you can figure out which tee pad you want to play. Being that you have three different tee pads for each hole you have lots of options for what you can do to make the course interesting every time you come here to play. The designer(s) did an excellent job of making sure each tee pad challenged the skill level of the desired level; usually when multiple tee pads come into play the shorter tee pads are just put in to make something easier but here not so much. The other thing I love here is that there are different tee pads to some holes instead of just long, middle and short tee pads which is a breathe of fresh air to some of us.

I really love the punishing rough here; a lot of courses I've seen in Georgia have the same style of punishing rough that is so needed to challenge approach shots in a necessary fashion. Most of the ground cover is clear ON the fairway and then off the fairway is where you run into the thicker stuff which is the way it is supposed to be.

The mix of trees as an obstacle in an extreme way is used here but still keeping with being fair and though there is luck (there is always luck) it doesn't get to the point where you just throw and pray you make it through; there is a distinct line (or two or three or more) that you need to hit in order to be successful. After that you have the open holes which are trickier than they look. Most of these holes involve out of bounds in the form of paths or water and if thrown in the fairway could result in the disc going too far or skipping somewhere crazy with the rolling hills and drops off near or around the baskets.
Cons: Having multiple tee pads can get confusing to people who don't know their way around and if the course is busy the multiple tee pads can work against you in the form of speed of play. The tee signs helps out but you can still get lost. My second time playing I figured out just about all of the locations of the tee pads but I'm a course bagger and it's kind of my job. :)

When I played hole number six was either missing or taken out for some reason. We searched and searched and searched but never found it or even a sleeve or any evidence of where the hole would be even with the sign telling us distance and where the basket should be.
Other Thoughts: If you get a chance to get to Tybee Island there is an excellent seafood restaurant called "The Crabshack". There they have live alligators that you can feed with a bamboo pole and let's face it how many times can you say you did that in your lifetime? Also you can sit right on the water outside and eat amazing seafood with amazing ambiance. It gets busy on weekends but it is an amazing place.

5+    2/21/2012   2/21/2012
Review By: tiger5
Pros: Best course I've played in GA. Tons of signage and 5 different course layouts makes for a multitude of shots. There's not a boring hole on the course, the par 3's require a little distance or shaping depending on the hole, still makes you work for a birdie. You have pretty much every kind of shot on this course from long wide open fairways to really tight alley ways in the woods. I've never played a round and not found something to go home and work on for next time. Certainly a test for any disc golfer.
Cons: The only complaint I have is from the first time I played and it was a little tricky to figure out some of the tee locations (allow they are all on the signs at the tee pads) there weren't directional arrows pointing to the next tee just pathways. It's not hard to figure out but I could see how playing it for the first time you could get a little turned around. Other than that it's the best course within 50 to 100 miles.
Other Thoughts: This course is maintained by the people who play it and that says a lot when you see how nice everything is from the tee boxes to the painted signs, they've put a lot of work into this course and it shows!

Pooler

1    12/4/2011   12/5/2011
Review By: BobStutts
Pros: Absolutely great designed course. 3 different tees on every hole. The layout of the tees make it more than just distance but a completely different shot between the gold, blue and white tees. Baskets held discs well. Great open shots for the long distance guys and many shots in the words for a finesse player. Both left and right dog legs. Sometimes different on the same hole depending on the tee you chose.

Located in a great park with plenty of other things for those not playing to do. Very easy to get to.
Cons: Almost hate to write a con as much as I enjoyed the round. The tees could be very slippery when wet. I found one just that way. A few tees are just grass.
Other Thoughts: The players in that area should be proud. Simply a must play course if you are in the area. What a great design and tee signs. All three tees had information for the hole.

I would pay a entrance fee to watch someone using only the gold tees shoot par as marked. If you think you are a go for it banger you have got to play the course and challenge the lake.

The park signs say it opens at 8AM but I was there at 7:15 and it was open. The early morning wild life were great to observe.

< Prev 1 2 3 4