Savannah (Pooler), GA
Tom Triplett DGC Share
Uploaded By: Cgkortz Hole #18 (Taken 5/2015)
3 / 195ft.   3 / 200ft.   3 / 280ft.   3 / 280ft. Par / Distance:
Hole #18 White/Red Tee

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5
A little something for everyone

2-4    5/1/2015   5/8/2015
Review By: Jiggy202
Pros: -Kiosk/Mailbox at #1 stocked with scorecards/course map & a practice basket!!
- Course starts and ends right near the parking lot
-Three different tees on every hole with great tee signs at each
-Course is pretty easily navigable with the next tee signs and decent walking paths guiding you along the way. Only had to use the map twice to confirm where I needed to go around holes 13-15.
- Mix of Wooded and Open holes
-Unique pin placement, particularly on #4 and #15
-Benches available at almost every hole.
Cons: -Tee pads were a little disappointing The concrete ones were a little too short and some of the rubber/carpet/natural ones were on pretty uneven ground.
-Course is mostly flat but it's not major negative, although many areas still had standing water from rain a few days before I played. I couldn't play 14 because it was almost totally under water.
- #18 is a little too close to the playground. I experienced other park users wandering around the fairway not realizing they were on the course.
-Quite a few blind shots to the basket from some tee pads, more than I prefer during a round, but with the great signs at every hole it adds to the challenge.
Other Thoughts: This is a really great course in a nice little park. This course has great re-playability with the three different tee pad choices, you get 3 quite different approaches to each basket. The harder tee boxes are a lot more than just added distance to the easier tees. The holes in the wooded areas offer quite the challenge with tight fairways lines and heavily wooded rough areas. The more open holes had a very different challenge with the lake and paved paths as out of bounds. The signs and path to the next tee were pretty good. The toughest holes to find from the previous holes were 13-15 but with the map they were easy enough to find. This was a really well maintained course. I expected the tee pads to be a little better quality than they were, but they were all easily recognizable with the wooded colored posts. Overall I enjoyed my round at this course and I would definitely play the course again. It offers a great variety for all different skill levels of player.

My Local Course

5+    3/18/2015   3/19/2015
Review By: terryduthu
Pros: Every hole has 3 different ways to play giving a lot of shot variety and variable play experiences depending on the format you choose. Good mix of wooded and open shots. Baskets are reachable from most pads (except some Gold) making for several long fun ace runs. Nice park with gorgeous sunsets over the lake. The occasional train passing on hole 15 makes for a fun experience. The local club does a good job keeping up the course and providing several weekly events open to everyone.
Cons: Tee pads are a concern on several of the holes. Some pads are slick and dangerous while other pads have drop offs right in front and could cause potential twisted ankles. Baskets are solid, but showing age. Hole 6 basket is slowly leaning down hill and needs to be reinforced.
Other Thoughts: New information board and disc drop box would be nice improvements. Hole 18 can be tricky with park visitors/children wandering the fairway, so be careful before you throw. New tee pads and this course is a 4.5-5 all day. Bring bug spray and watch out for snakes in the summer. Hole 14 can be a swamp after a hard rain.

Consistently Challenging

5+    2/22/2015   2/23/2015
Review By: djtripp20
This review was updated on 3/20/2015
Pros: Easily the best course in the area. The SDGC has recently put up new bridges connecting the fairways on 2 and 17. The shrubs and brush have been cleared on the left side of 4... making it easier to find your lost drive. Most of the paths between the holes have been remarked using logs/branches.

TTP is a very challenging course, and it has a unique way of staying fresh for locals like myself who don't have many places to play. Five tee colors offer more than just different distances, but completely different lines to the basket. Many holes do not even share the same fairways from the the different tee pads. A day playing reds is completely different from playing blues for example.

The course itself is very wooded. Unless you've been playing for years and have your drive sighted in, expect to hit trees all day long. A handful of holes open up allowing you to rip it pretty hard, but some also bring water into play so throw cautiously.

Parking is plentiful right in front of the practice basket. Hole 1 starts a few yards from the practice area, and hole 18 ends a few yards in the other direction. Very flowing layout with not much walking between baskets.

Most of the teepads are in great shape. Signage is excellent... and very helpful to find the correct tee pad/line for your tee color.
Cons: Snakes! I'm not a fan of snakes and boy I've seen my share of them out here. Best thing to say is watch your step and make loud noises when your drive ricochets into the deep woods.

The water on hole 4 is deep... quick. If you lose your drive in the drink here, don't expect to get it back unless you dive in. While you're in there expect to find another dozen or so though.

There used to be a lot of trash cans around the course, but there weren't many out there the last time I played. I had to carry trash with me for quite a few holes before using the bin after 16. Due to this, you will see quite a bit of trash (cans, bottles) near the teepads of some holes.

People - TTP is a big park with lots of people visiting it every day. The pedestrian path weaves down the right side of hole 4. Also there is a playground right behind the basket on 18 that could potentially cause an interesting situation if your drive makes it back there. Also a gazebo near the teepad on 18 can attract kids who like to run around the fariways. Just watch out where you throw.

My only true gripe about TTP would be that because this is one of the few courses in the area, it attracts a lot of different types of golfers to play here. Most folks are friendly, but inevitably there are some that can be flat out rude. I regularly come across players out here who have absolutely no regard for families sharing the park with them. Please keep in mind that not everyone at this park plays disc golf, nor knows anything about the game. Be careful and watch out for kids near 1 and 18 in particular.
Other Thoughts: In the summer, bring bug spray and a towel. Watch out for standing water after rain showers. Bring some bright color discs and have a blast!

Enjoyable

1    8/22/2014   8/24/2014
Review By: gvdg jake
Pros: Played this course early in the morning during a week with a heat wave going through the south. I liked how there is a great deal of parking near by and a disc catcher practice cage near hole 1. Had a very nice kiosk also.

Plenty of benches and trash cans

I played the reds (since it was hot as hell and I was on a family vacation). I found the layout to be a fun but challenging layout. Most pads were concrete pads but some were a carpet type that still had great grip. I noticed on most holes they had next tee signs that were fairly large. GREAT tee signs, some of the best I've ever seen.

Course had a good flow to it which ends at the parking lot/hole 1 area. First 3 holes were in the small patch of woods along the lake. Then it got to a few straight holes of wide open shots with tons of road and path OB in play. Made for a great challenge. It went into wooded holes after that. Tons of ace runs on the course. This is a course that will make you use every shot you have at some point.

Cons: Got lost after 13 and finally found 14 near hole 5 pad in the woods. Never found hole 15 though. Still curious where it was. But from 14 to 16 it was a longgg walk back towards the last 3 holes near the parking lot

Only safety issue I had on the entire course was hole 18. There was an older couple in a gazebo to the right of the tee box, I gave warning before throwing but it still made me nervous if a grip lock or bad kick would occur. Also, long of 18 is a playground, luckily with it being hot and kinda early kids weren't there.
Other Thoughts: I thought this was a great course. Good flow for the most part and a lot of fun holes. Course was well taken care of. Very glad I could break away for a hour or two to play this course. If you're ever in the area it's a must play!

Tom Triplett has something for everyone

1    7/12/2014   7/25/2014
Review By: chainedwraith
Pros: Beautiful park with a proper balance between open, semi-wooded, and densely wooded holes. The course is right on the right side as soon as you come into the park entrance so very easy to find hole 1 and get started.

Hole 7 brings you into the woods and from there until hole 14 you have that sense of peaceful seclusion which I always appreciate.

Multiple tees with good separation providing excellent diversity in play ability by skill level.

Tee signs are adequate. I had no issues with navigation. I had glanced at the map online before leaving my hotel which may have helped, but otherwise I never got lost or ended up in the wrong place. It seemed like most next tees are visible from the previous basket and the course had a nice flow to it and the holes have good separation from one another.

The holes all seemed fair and challenging with the only debate being hole 15 which is a little tighter than I would prefer to see on a filler hole.
Cons: Nothing major.

Might not be too big of a deal for some, but I'm not a fan of natural tees but these are adequate even though it was wet and a little muddy. I would still prefer concrete but if you are used to natural tees these are as good as any.

If your local courses loop back after 9-holes like most of mine do, it becomes something you notice on courses that don't. Tom Triplett does not loop back so remember to bring what you need with you for the entire round.

There seems to be lacking a true signature hole, but for the most part its not too big of a deal since most of the holes are pretty solid anyways.. just no real "wow" factor that I can recall.
Other Thoughts: I was there at the crack of dawn and had the whole course to myself. It was drizzling the entire round so not many pedestrians either. I didn't see another disc golfer until I was walking to hole 15 and someone was putting on hole 4. I encountered a couple of young deer foraging in the woods just off the fairway in the area of holes 8 - 10. That was pretty cool.

Normally I wouldn't feel fair reviewing a course in which I played the entire round in the rain, but in this case I made an exception because A) the light rain was annoying but bearable and once I got in the woods it was more like getting dripped on than actual rain. B) I was actually shooting a great round from blue tees and I think most disc golfers would agree that when you are playing well, most other things such as the weather don't necessarily detract from the experience as much as they would if shooting bad. I had a good time here despite the relentless drizzle.

Savannah has a great course here and I would certainly recommend it to anyone passing through. I know I will be back someday for sure!

Love this course

5+    7/5/2014   7/23/2014
Review By: Barneybboy
Pros: This course has a little bit of everything. You go from moderately wooded areas to open throws. Then you go to water hazards to dense wooded areas. The signing on this course is present and very clear to understand. You don't get lost because signs tell you right where to go for the next hole. Even in the hot summer there is enough trees to block out the sun most of the holes keeping it less hot.
Cons: The big lake that is there can be a beast. Hole 4 will eat up your discs if you swing them to far to the left. Also the basket for hole 4 has a lot of bees around it. I would recommend playing a different target for that hole unless you like braving the swarm of bees by the basket.
Other Thoughts: This is a great course. I have been multiple times and even when it is crowded the flow is smooth and you don't find yourself waiting hardly at all. One of my favorite courses that I have played.

Very Good Course

2-4    7/9/2014   7/14/2014
Review By: jeffboi
This review was updated on 7/28/2014
Pros: Some wide open shots, some technical play - a nice mix! Multiple tee boxes, well maintained and all in good condition. I highly recommend you give it a try!
Cons: Certain parts of the course could be better marked to make following along to the next tee easier.
Other Thoughts: You probably won't loose too many discs here, but you will always find a great challenge. A good course worth playing for the first time or multiple times per week - every week.

Good Course in Busy Park

1    7/2/2014   7/8/2014
Review By: DGLobo999
Pros: Lots of variation in layouts. Good mix of technical and long shots. Good course to hone your control and shot shaping.
Cons: Disappointed. Had read reviews and heard about how great the course was. Tees were a bit sloppy and signage was fair at best. Very grown up and seemed that maintenance was a bit lacking. Had no idea on the route or where the basket was located on several holes without walking and scouting ahead. Not easy to navigate for a visitor and the constant searching diminished the fun. Lots of back and forth in the pines at the beginning and end of course. Seems it could be easy to get hit by errant shots.
Other Thoughts: Of the two, I feel The Sarge is the better course in the area. If traveling, play the Sarge.

Triplett

1    4/26/2014   5/5/2014
Review By: Peter S
Pros: The many tee boxes per hole allow players to chose the challenge level they want to play. Playes in a free park with restrooms by parking area. Some water carries from long tees by a large lake. Short tees play along side of lake but no over water carries for the beginners. A small ravine may hold water on 18 adds fun and challenge to finish. Great mix of some tricky open shots with water or o.b. and tight woods.

Southern hospitility. Although we were a group of 3 plus a dog slowing us down a group of 4 playing leagues let us play through and later kept us on course when we were about to make a wrong turn.
Cons: Rubber tees were very slippery after only a short light sprinkle. No indication of next tee area on some holes.
Other Thoughts: No indication here that dogs are not permitted. Dogs are allowed in the park. However, they are strict about dogs not being allowed in the d/golf & other common areas in the park. The park care taker saw we were from out of state and allowed us to keep dog by road during first few holes in shared area and then told us when we get to woods not to worry.

Triple T(r)ees at Triplett

1    12/22/2013   1/6/2014
Review By: BogeyNoMore
This review was updated on 1/12/2014
Pros: Nice course in a busy, well maintained, multi-use park.
• Variety: Reasonable mix of fairway shapes and lengths. Predominantly well to very well-wooded, but starts out with a few lightly wooded and semi-open holes to let you warm-up. Provides at least a few chances to use most shots in your repertoire.
• Pretty solid design for the most part. The very little elevation present is used to its potential to provide rollaway potential on a couple of holes. Water in play on a 1+ holes (depending on the tees you play from).
• Equipment: Tees and baskets were all in good condition.Nice signage (graffiti free!) and scorecard/maps keep you moving the right direction. Except for a few spots that are a bit confusing, routing/navigation is pretty good for the most part - I was able to finish my round without much trouble. Regardless of the good signage, be prepared to walk a few fairways to spot blind baskets and find the line you want to take.
• 3 separate tees for every hole sometimes offer different looks, sometimes only change distance. Interestingly color coded to provide up to 5 pre-defined lay-outs to accommodate varying skill levels and variety. Seems more confusing at first than it actually is (see Other Thoughts).
• Little underbrush to obscure discs (and leaves weren't as big a problem as I've seen on other well wooded courses).
Cons:
• Holes 8 (blue) and 15 seem rather poke'n'pray'ish, with scores being due more to luck than to skill… 15 particularly so. I'd say it was just a throwaway hole to connect 14 and 16, but it doesn't even do that job well - simply doesn't fit in at all.
• Terrain is quite flat. Kudos for making good use of it where possible to create some rollaway potential on 4 and 6, but elevation simply makes courses more interesting to play IMO.
• Some nice water carries from a couple of the longs, but I'd have liked to seen a couple of the short/med tees bring the water into play as well.
• While the holes have varied shapes and lengths, they lack decent variety in terms of fairway type, and begin to feel a bit repetitive towards the end of a round. The longest set of tees provide a couple more chances to air it out on the water carries. Fairly well executed overall, but nothing really stood as exceptional and while it's a good course, it simply didn't leave me with any real desire to return.
Other Thoughts: If finesse is your game, Triplett might be your cup of tea, but if grip'n'rip is your idea of fun round, stay away - Triplett will have you playing lumberjack.

5 color coded "layouts": 3 sets of tees are color coded to accommodate five different skill levels; white is always the easiest, blue in the middle, and gold offers the most challenge. In actuality, there are no additional tees for "Red" or "Black" layouts. Red is simply a pre-defined mix of short and medium tees to to provide an intermediate challenge, while black is a similar pre-defined mix of med and long tees offering a more advanced challenge. Hence, they've created 5 pre-defined, color-coded "layouts" to accommodate varying skill levels using 3 sets of tees. This could be useful for standardizing scores for local league play and tournaments.

Reasonably well executed for the most part, I'd say any of the individual layouts is good as a stand-alone course (3.0), and feel 3.5 is in order given the variety afforded by the 2 extra sets of tees, but think the course falls a bit short of excellence.

I don't necessarily regret stopping here, but can't help but wonder if my time on the road wouldn't have been better spent playing a different course. Triplett seems like it'd be great for league play, but didn't quite strike me as a destination worthy course.

That said, it's only 2 miles off I-95, so it's incredibly convenient to add to your courses played list if you're passing by.

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5