Savannah (Pooler), GA
Tom Triplett DGC Share
Uploaded By: solomon.trenton Hole #1 (Taken 4/2010)
3 / 230ft.   3 / 310ft.   3 / 310ft.   4 / 317ft. Par / Distance:

One of Georgia's finest

1    1/14/2010   1/15/2010
Pros: 1)Framed rubber or carpet tees are generally in good shape. They are a little lumpy but that does not affect confidence when planting your foot for your drive. A few of the pads are deteriorating also with rubber pieces chipping off the teepads but generally are in overall good condition.
2) Scorecards and maps available in the mailbox at the first tee. This is a welcome site because it shows the locals care about visiting players.
3) Kiosk is at the first tee shows tournament info and other postings. The local club also has a lost and found box for lost discs. This is a great idea, that you can say what disc you might have lost and they can open up the box anytime they are there to help people retrieve older lost discs. Just another thing that shows the locals are good and serious.
4) Locals obviously care about their course. It is well groomed and the little things are definitely done by the locals to help out the parks maintenance crews. I saw the maintenance crews trimming trees and doing branch cleanup. I was thrilled because I rarely if ever have seen maintenance crews on any of the courses I have played. I think that the strong local club probably is assisted by the fact that there are only a few courses within 50 miles of Savannah. Obviously this is a fairly large city but with only a few courses to play the group has to unite and be strong. If I were to compare it to Milwaukee, there are even multiple small clubs and even within clubs there are little cliques that don't see eye to eye and there are plenty of courses for us to spread out and take advantage of. Just something I notice when playing other good courses.
5) 3 sets of tees make for 3 different courses. Almost all tees really change the holes, they aren't simply just a longer hole. I love it when they create different courses with different tee locations. Most courses don't do this because it means further tree removal and maintenance. Just another thing that shows the locals take care of the course or the park would not have 3 sets of tees. They also recently made 5 tee colors. In general, I think many of the tees are for multiple colors, but they do have 5 colored markers set on 3 tees per hole.
6) Signs are in great shape. They are laminated and in color. They show Hole #, par, distance and they show an adequate hole layout diagram.
7) Every hole has a bench by it which is positive since I can imagine some slow play on this course when it is busy. Not only are there multiple tees and some that require backtracking, but also because you can get off the fairways and require some disc searching.
8) Course is extremely well designed. It uses wonderful features including some rolling hills, tight wooded areas, the pond comes into play on a few holes including 2 forced carries from the back tees. The front tees diminish the challenge and the risk which is a truly good design concept. It is playable by all skill levels, but beginners may struggle to score well because of how tight most of the holes are.
9) Practice basket is available at the first tee.
10) This is a positive even though I assume it is specifically because of the upcoming "Savannah Open". I wish I would have known I could have played in this tournament as I am sure I would have enjoyed it. Anyways they clearly were doing improvements like adding the 3rd tees, and adding the colored stakes for tee differentiation, painting a pink line around the 30' diameter for putting.
11) This was a really fun and challenging course. I love courses that make me think and I love courses that challenge me to execute tough shots. This is the only way I will get better so I can always appreciate it when a course makes me play better "or else".
12) Bathrooms are available but not in the parking lot by the course. You have to drive southeast of the first tee to another building and find the bathrooms.
13) This course has a good balance of different shaped shots. There are a lot of anhyzers and a lot of hyzers, and almost no holes that are dead straight.
14) The baskets are Innova Discatchers. They are easily found because of the bright yellow. They are in good shape and catch well.
15) This course has an incredible distance variation. It ranges from about 170 all the way up to 975. That is awesome and by far the biggest swing I have ever seen. Most holes are over 300 from the back tees, and the average is somewhere around 400. That makes for a long day especially considering most holes are in some tight woods.
16) It is obvious that this course has a ton of potential. Once they straighten out the whole multiple tee colors and areas get resolved, they will then be able to focus on adding more holes. I think there seems to be tons of vacant property. Perhaps this will one day be a 3 or 4 course property. How awesome would that be?!

17) This course has some wonderful tree selection. There is almost no underbrush and the lower shrubs and plants seem to be well taken care of.
Cons: 1) Some of the carpet and rubber tees are slightly bumpy. I don't feel that they affect the tee shot tremendously, but it is worth noting that they could be in better shape.

2) It is clear this course would be tough in summer. Not only will there be a ton of mosquitos but it has been said there are a lot of fire ants on this course. When I played (January 14th) there were neither so maybe I am just lucky the time of year I travel and play DG.

3) Water although visible is only in play on a couple holes and only then from the long tees. I know hitting the water on Hole #4 could be possible from a forward tee but I would rather have seen a couple baskets tucked right up near the water. There is no reason this isn't possible to do to create some more challenge. They certainly have the land to play a little bit.

4) The bridges that are created for this course are telephone poles laid across the drainageways and trenches and ditches that may or may not have a lot of water in them. I played during what would normally be called the dry season, and there was water in a few of them, and others were still soft and muddy, while the couple on the first and last few holes were bone dry. The bridges are not level, some have seams between poles and could lead to some injuries of those with no balance.

5) The walk path around the park is in play in a few places and forced throws across the path and maintenance path create some chances for danger of innocent bystanders. I don't fault them for the tees on the other side of the road and path because it truly makes those holes better, but nevertheless it could be an issue.

6) With the current setup of having 3 tees (and 5 colors on those 3 tees) there was a lot of confusion. I have no problem with 3 sets of tees, but why do they need 5 colors on 3 tees? It isn't as if they have 5 sets of tees each with their own color. Most of the tees have 2 colors and some have 3 colors per tee. Perhaps this is going to be resolved down the road as they keep expanding. Not only are the tees confusing, but they also used dissimilar colors from time to time. I swear I saw Gold, Black, Blue, White, Yellow, Red, Maroon, and Orange colors. I do not know what all of them mean, especially when there are NO MORE than 3 tees per hole. I cannot take off big points because of this complaint but it is worth mentioning for the time being. Because of these changes it is obvious the tee signs need to be changed, but right now they show only 2 colors of tees Blue and yellow.

7) Course is not beginner friendly because of distance and tightness. The wooded shots are not always just straight away for the forward tees, so it takes a little skill to make the corners appropriately. The course will challenge all skill levels, but it may be a little too tough for a lower rated player.

8) I ran into some barbed wire in a few spots that is a little disturbing. That is something that should be taken care of before anyone goes into certain areas.
Other Thoughts: I am going to forgo this area where I normally summarize because the rest of the review was already very long. Just be sure to play this course when passing through Savannah. I really wanted to give this a 4.5 but because of the tee confusion, old tee signs not giving all information, and the fact that it seems to remain wet for a long time. I could only imagine just how many mosqitos would be there. I will reevaluate this course next time I get through Savannah.

get off 95, but bring a change of clothes

1    8/4/2009   8/12/2009
Review By: prerube
Pros: Easy to find and convinently close to 95.
Great variety in landscaping and in distances, never monotonous. Multiple tee pads many are rubber some are carpeted. Course was fairly easy to navigate with out map with benches at every hole.
many nice holes like hole 11 which taunts you with a possible ace attempt and the difficult hole 14 which makes you decide if you are going to risk your disc with a 300 ft toss over the water.
Cons: Many of the baskets can not be seen until after the first or second throw. Course was very muddy. Fire ants swarm your disc the second it hits the ground. Some holes play dangerously close to the road and traffic.
Other Thoughts: Course is long, playing alone and jogging from hole to hole will still take you over 45 minutes so plan for a nice long game.
The First 3 holes are played near the playground and it gives the illusion that this is a short course, then you pop out of the wooded area to a risky hole 4 along the water. There are mandos on hole 7 and 13.

There is a chance of disc loss into water, not so much into thorns and foliage.

To find hole 15 you have to go out of the woods, walk between both tees for hole 5, cross the street and find a small trail by the rail road tracks.Tracks are OB. For 16 go behind number 4 and cross the path.

Great Course

2-4    7/13/2009   7/13/2009
Review By: I3ooI3oo
Pros: 3 Tee pads per hole change the course a good deal. There is a nice mixture of open long holes and shorter tighter wooded holes. There are 2-3 holes where water can come into play. The holes that play through the woods are well laid out so you need both accuracy and distance to birdie any hole. There is enough shade to stop and cool off in the heat of the summer.
Cons: Lost a disc in the water on 4. Not really the course's fault though. When it says par 5 don't try to get there in 2 you might no make over the water as I didn't.
Other Thoughts: There could be some more maintenance done to keep the signs in better shape. The locals I ran into let me play with them the first round and showed me where the pins were when they were blind shots. I would recommend this course to anyone going up I-95 past Savannah as the course is only 3 minutes from the interstate.

Challenging Little Gem

1    7/4/2009   7/7/2009
Review By: Kurt Hodges
Pros: Tom Triplett DGC is very conveniently located just off I-95 and it set in a nice 200 acre park with a lake. There are three sets of tee pads that not only change distance, but they give you a completely different look (very different in some cases). The baskets, benches and seating are all very nice and above average. Even on my first trip to the course, I had no real problems navigating the course. The local disc golfers are also very friendly and active. Heck they even have a little mailbox with score cards and an information kiosk.
Cons: The shortest set of tee pads (white) are only staked on natural terrain. The other tee pads are a mix of carpet and rubber and some are getting a little worn, but I am just being nitpicky here. Other reviewers have said there is a bug problem and it can be a little marshy, but I didn't experience that at all so I can not validate that.
Other Thoughts: Tom Triplett DGC is a really nice DGC that gives you tons of options. From the back tees you get a 7,887' course (average of 438' / hole) that plays fairly long and really brings water into play on a few holes. From the intermediate tees, the course is a medium length course that plays around 5,590' (average of 310' / hole) and is challenging, but not overly tough (I am a 840-860 player and shot at +1 first time on the intermediate tees). The intermediate tees also remove any really threat of water except on hole 4 where a backhanded drive (RHBH), that is allowed to hyzer out, will get you wet. The other option is to flirt with OB on the right hand side (walking path). The shortest tees are really only beginner tees as they only play around 4,633' (average of 257' / hole). They wouldn't be that much of a challenge to an intermediate or better player (850+ PDGA rating), but still gives newbie's a chance to have fun and also provide intermediate golfers with a "quick 18." I really like Tom Triplett and would say that is well worth playing and even a short drive to get to. I had a blast and wish I could take it with me to Tallahassee.

When in Savannah...

2-4    11/11/2008   6/13/2009
Review By: ibekent
Pros: This is the first course I ever played, and it made me want to play more. It also frustrated me because I lost my shiny new disc in the lake on #4. That pretty much sums up the course: it is full of interesting and tricky holes. (I love #15.) The tees are not concrete, but they're flat and (mostly) well marked. The signs are fine, and benches are at most holes. The locals are friendly and, if you can take the summer heat in Savannah, the course will challenge you without exhausting you. The alternate tees do not just add distance, they add major risk/reward decisions.
Cons: Mosquitoes the size of airplanes. I could actually hear the impact when they landed on my bag. You should bring a servant to carry Citronella buckets if you play near dusk. Any other cons are minor: some alternate tees are hard to find. There are few trash cans. Some of the tees and signs are worn, and some fairways can get marshy when it rains (which exacerbates the mosquito issue).
Other Thoughts: I try to play this course whenever I visit Savannah. For other visitors: it's a 20 minute drive from the touristy part of Savannah. Give yourself some extra time. Also, in a town crammed full of spacious parks, this is the only course - lucky thing it's a good one.

Great course

2-4    5/10/2009   6/6/2009
Review By: SmittyDisc
Pros: Good variety of holes, lots of scenic charm, easy to find, multiple tees offer different challenges to every skill level, easy to navigate, well maintained with signs at every tee.
Cons: Close proximity of baskets at the front/back of the course offers a bit of confusion
Other Thoughts: great course with lots of different types of holes, definitely make the stop if you're traveling I-95 through the Savannah area.

TTT-tight Tom Triplett

2-4    3/5/2009   3/6/2009
Review By: Mando
This review was updated on 6/14/2009
Pros: Easy access if you find yourself ever traveling on I-95 and need to stretch your legs. You can even combine a round with a sidetrip into Savannah on the same exit. The next thing you know, you are staying at the MicroTel and playing a second round in the morning.
This is one of those courses that begs to be played twice.
I loved the challenge and variety from the blue tees. The course has a bunch of really tight wooded holes, but I loved each and every one of them. From the blues, the wooded holes were longer and tighter than any other wooded course that I've played. Staying in the fairway is a real challenge.
The long, open holes around the lake were unique featuring a narrow ridge sandwiched between water and a walking path. They were a blast to play as well. The t-pads constructed with carpet were the first I encountered. For someone who likes a level pad, with some give, they were the best I've played on, but they were in the process of converting to rubber which I didn't like as much. Friendly locals.Full amenities.
Cons: Walking path is a little close in places.
Other Thoughts: Reminds me of another Duval design-Rankin Lake. I suspect that this course is more enjoyable during the cooler months when bugs are not an issue in March. It was great fun !

Modern Typical

2-4    1/11/2009   1/23/2009
Review By: Redneck Machismo
Pros: Course is very challenging and several holes are adjacent to a nice pond. The course requires a wide variety of shots and course management ability. The fourth hole is a well designed par four.
Cons: Sadly hole four and only a couple of others could really be considered "good" holes on the course. The seventh hole from both tee pads as well as eight are absolutely horrendous designs. Actually holes 2,3,7,8,9,10,12,13,14,15 and 18 are all very poorly designed and require way too much luck. Playing this course is like playing a game of poker; sure skill is the most important factor but you have to get lucky too. Shots that are 90% perfect can be met with a triple bogey or worse. Overall the course is just not very much fun.
Other Thoughts: This course is typical of so many courses now-a-days. I will never understand why some course designers look at a corpse of misty undergrowth, flood plain, forest and think "I can build a disc golf course here." As I said the course is challenging but just not fun.

Great course, even better than expected

2-4    12/10/2008   12/11/2008
Review By: jdawg24
Pros: *Two teepads per hole, very challenging from the blue tees that i played - the yellow tees still look like fun although i didn't throw them
*Fair fairways - lots of tight holes, but almost all had viable routes to the basket
*Not a pitch n' putt course - all of the par 4's and the par 5 required placement to score a birdies
*Great variety of fairways: some straight, some left, some right - some tight, some open
*Hole 4 is an awesome par 5... i had read about it before playing and it lived up to its stellar reputation
*Plenty of seating & easy to follow for first timer
*Course kiosk/map stocked with scorecards & pencils
*Less than 5 minutes off I-95
Cons: *As mentioned in previous reviews, it gets wet in spots. I threw 5 drives on #5 (fun hole)...and spent 20 minutes looking for 2 of them that were within 30' of the basket but submerged in a ditch
*Teepads aren't concrete, but seemed to work ok - some are getting very worn/muddy
Other Thoughts: I've been hearing about this course forever and finally got the chance to play - totally worth it and I made time to come back for a 2nd round on my way back through.

I played the blue tees and shot 64 & 62. Yellow tees will be fun to try on my next way through. Blue tees were VERY challenging, especially with gusty winds.

I'd rate this a 4.25 - higher than the other courses I've given 4's but not quite a 4.5 - must play if you're passing through, good compliment to the Sarge

Best in the South East

1    12/5/2008   12/8/2008
Review By: Jonny_Dread
This review was updated on 1/14/2011
Pros: Great club members. (I'm one of them). Signage and benches at every hole. Two tee pads for each hole. Short and long drives. Great variety and awesome scenery. Kept in great shape. New permanent rubber tee pads will be installed next week. Best course in this area with a close second to "The Sarge"
Cons: A little wet near the putting green after rain.
Other Thoughts: Try to play this course during the "Savannah Open" or "Mosquito Madness" tournaments. Always a good turn out and a bunch of fun. You will need the whole bag of discs for this course.