Leander, TX
Williamson County DGC Share
Uploaded By: timg Hole #4 (Taken 3/2013)

Newbie that always plays

2-4    4/18/2012   4/18/2012
Review By: coachhart25
Pros: 1. I do like the shade and trees. I also like that the holes are not more than 1000 feet like I have been used to playing at old settlers. The paths for the most part are great that lead you from hole to hole especially early on. There was some minor confusion from like holes 4-8 the first time we played, but it was resolved fairly quickly. I do like how even though it is pretty compact the trees appear to be slimmed out some. This means for us newbies that the odds are good that even with you thorns into the trees you will be able to find it and it should come down.
Cons: I would have loved to seen maybe a water jug somewhere on the course, and maybe some some more benches. At old settlers they have nice signs at the tee boxes that show the par and distance Andy at wilco we have rocks. The dollar to play? Not bad, but I always get wary it's going to turn Ike gass prices... 1dollar a gallon? cool. 2bucks? Ok not bad, and the price keeps climbing... It is very rocky, which is not terrible but I do play will a baby jogger, so it is tough at times, but not as bad as brushy creek(cat hollow)
Other Thoughts: Please note that I am new to disc golf and this review is mostly for people like me that are starting to play more and really like to play...I might not have the technical background and am trying to keep it simple stupid on purpose!

Overall I think it is funniest course of three that I have played, with old settlers, and cat hollow. If I was just playing first though I would go to old settlers and just skip the water holes because I know I wouldn't lose my discs!

5+    11/26/2011   11/27/2011
Review By: Turner512
Pros: Excellent technical course. From hole 1 to hole 18 its a battle between you and the trees. Most holes are narrow passages between trees and brush but a few holes have some open fairways (mostly on the back 9). Distances vary. A few short under 300 foot holes and goes all the way to 600 foot holes. Water never comes into play. A decent variety in straight holes to right and left legged holes. This course will strain your accuracy and shot selection. If you only throw RHBH you might need to pull out a RHFH or really work on you anhyzer and hyzer. No holes are the same so you are having to analyze every hole before throwing. This course is challenging but fun. If you only play open courses or you enjoy a challenge you need to come play Wilco
Cons: This course is pay to play (1$) which is no big deal. Nobody makes you pay but be a good golfer and pay to toll. My biggest complaint on the course is the amount of dog leg rights. The course heavily favors RHFH or LHBH which can be good because it tests the player but in my opinion there are too many and courses should favor none but be neutral. There are no elevation changes and no water hazards. Gets a little crowded on weekends. Might get stuck behind families or large groups but they will usually let you play through if you put some pressure on them.
Other Thoughts: This course is fun and definitely worth your time. If you are in the North Austin area I would recommend playing it. Will test your skills and demand consistency.

I like it, I really do, since it is the closest nice course to my house....

5+    7/26/2011   7/27/2011
Review By: jasperpipestone
Pros: Some rewarding holes. I play this course because of #3(long S curve),4(somewhat wooded, right turning dogleg),6(somewhat wooded, right turning dogleg),10(long arduous placement hole),14(hard to birdie Par 4), and 18(dead straight long hole-my nemesis). 4 and 6 are pretty much the same hole so 5 interesting challenges out of 18 is pretty good compared to most forgettable fling and putt courses out there. Several of the other holes require a decent turnover drive, forehand, or precise up shot; so other than rolling, any noticeable elevation change, or having to clear a big pond you get a pretty good workout of your dg skill-set. There are trees in some fairways, but not to the extent that there is no line or you have to battle to get out of the woods if you are knocked down early on a drive. Also trees or canopy near the tees reduce the ability to defeat the layout of the course with huge hyzers or thumbers. There are also 2 - 3 other courses somewhat nearby if absolutely need to get in that quick 72-90 holes of dg in. I often times play Wilco a couple times and then what's on this site as Brushy Creek Sports Park DGC or Brushy Creek MUD DGC. But if you are travelling through and only have one day in Austin I'd play Wilco and Circle C Metro @ Slaughter Creek. I don't rate this course as highly as some because it is quite subjective and I've played courses that were indeed world class or left warm fuzzy feelings because of their combination of challenge/environment/amenities. This course is definitely promising if it gets further amenity development/expansion. There are bathrooms, a train ride for the Thomas addicted kiddees, playground, tennis, and jogging trail if your significant other or family isn't into DG.
Cons: Just 18 holes and one layout(pin positions). I wish there was a 6-9 hole tight and wooded section to break up the monotony and make you happy that the course opens up again when you emerge. Currently no water available near the actual course or parking lot. Fountains aren't really working and the water that is in the bathrooms is a little funky tasting so bringing your own is advised. No benches on any holes, even the ones commonly prone to back-ups. Need at least 6-8 more trash cans on the course. There can be a bit of drinker/smoker trash on the course and broken bottles near tees; although not near as bad as any major city city park courses I've played.

Nice Course

1    5/14/2011   5/14/2011
Review By: slicemaster
This review was updated on 6/9/2012
Pros: - Excellent tee boxes. These were the best have played on.
- The fairways and rough are well defined. Also nice that the rough doesn't eat your disc a la East Metro.
- I saw some one said it was hard to navigate but I thought the total opposite. I had a local tell me to just follow the rock path and I never had trouble finding my way.
- Challenging tree lines that really test your accuracy. I have also seen this as a complaint but seriously play North Town if you really want some ridiculous lines.
- You are pretty much guaranteed not to lose a disc at this course, if you do you are just lazy.
- Good variety of distance from hole to hole. Nothing too short or long but a good mix.
- Baskets are in great shape, no loose tops or excessive graffiti.
Cons: - No water. To me this alone should make this course less than 4 stars. I'm sure some people like not having to lose disc in a creek or pond but it is an essential to any 4 star rated disc golf course imo.
- The amount of rocks and roots really take away from the enjoyment of this course. I had many shots stop dead upon hitting the ground when normally they would get an extra 15-30 ft. Don't plan on throwing any rollers out here.
- Very crowded park in terms of disc golf and everything else going on at least on the weekends. Not many secluded areas to do your business, whatever that may be.
- Very flat, elevation is never a factor here.
Other Thoughts: For a pay to play and a 4 star rating this course did not deliver for me. It isn't all that challenging and without water or elevation changes it gets a little repetitive. As I said above it was very crowded and the wait on each hole took away from the flow of the game. For instance I was on a two hole birdie run then had to wait almost 10 min on the next hole and lost my mojo and my arm got a little tight considering there are so many flick shots. This course does have its good points but imo it should considering it takes in more money than any other surrounding course. With that kind of funding I kind of expected a few more memorable holes and a few less rocks. I'll play it again but not very often. The people rating this 4 or more need to really compare it to the rest of the Austin area courses and realize this course is just average.

First time playing Wilco

1    5/8/2010   5/8/2010
Review By: Davesdisc
Pros: For a seasoned disc golfer, this was one heck of a course. Front 9 is brutal yet fair. Love the cement pads to tee off on. Layout makes sense and is easy to find the next hole. Plenty of shade.
Cons: Needs secondary tee boxes for intermediate or advanced players who don't have big arms. Needs more trash cans throughout the course.
Other Thoughts: Played it for the first time today in the wind. More difficult than Circle C or Brushy Creek with the wind. Did not lose a disc which is nice. A very well thought out course but needs two sets of tee pads. Beginners should play elsewhere.

Long and challengin

1    4/3/2010   4/15/2010
Review By: breakingday
Pros: This is definitely a professional course. The distance of the holes coupled with the treeline makes for some surprisingly difficult shots. It's not overly technical though, and can be played at your leisure. Very well maintained course, with distances and hole instructions provided.
Cons: LONG. Wilco's a pretty unforgiving course, and it can be difficult to find the balance between distance and not getting lost in the bushes.
Other Thoughts: Make a day of it, this is a great course to bring some lunch along if you feel like taking a break.

Fun course; very rough

1    12/20/2008   1/6/2009
Review By: cc0049
Pros: This is a challenging and technical course with long fairways carved into the trees and low ceilings. It is very beautiful here and makes for a very pleasant round. The concrete teepads were nice (and new from what I hear) and the baskets were in good condition. This course was very easy to navigate my first time out. There were scorecards available at the entrance where you pay your $1 fee to play.
Cons: The signage only gives you the hole number and not par and distance. The biggest con for me is that the whole place is riddled with rocks in the fairways. Not rocks that can be moved, but the kind that are stuck in the ground and project out. There is nothing that can be done about this really, so you just have to deal with it, but it stinks getting your discs all shredded...especially since a lot of the holes are doglegs left or right and require skip shots under a low tree ceiling.
Other Thoughts: They close the course after a rain to maintain the grounds. The course is seperated from the rest of the park so there isn't much traffic other than other disc golfers. It was very cold when I went to play so that put a damper on things and made me play in a bit of a rush. I'm looking forward to going back out and playing it again sometime when it is warmer.

Wilco

1    12/28/2008   12/28/2008
Review By: milow369
Pros: Easily accessible, plenty of parking. Well maintained paths, baskets and concrete tee pads. Every tee pad (and basket) is marked clearly with the hole number. Diverse design requires player to use many different shots.
Cons: No maps of holes at the teeboxes. No identification of par for the hole - unless you are lucky enough to get a card - didn't happen to be any available when I played. While most holes are intuitive it's easy to get a little lost when you're on one of the par 4s or the par 5. If you follow the clearing that is the hole you will eventually run into a basket.
Other Thoughts: Lots of tunnels to shoot through, most holes have plenty of trees to deal with but also offer lines to the basket. Pretty country, some opportunity to lose a disc if one is yanked hard right/left but for the most part just a technical course. I am looking forward to giving it another try now that I have some idea how the holes are laid out.

Tough, well maintained course

1    10/30/2008   10/30/2008
Review By: metis314159
Pros: Nice, long cement pads - a rarity for Austin courses. Good mix of distances for the holes along with many holes requiring challenging shots through relatively dense woods. Several more open holes towards the end if woods aren't your thing.

Cons: Virtually no elevation changes or water so all the hole variety only comes from trees and distance. Also, it would have been nice to have diagrams (and distances) of the holes at each hole. Why, on such a well-maintained course, there was only one trash can is beyond me.
Other Thoughts: This course will challenge intermediate players since most holes require distance and accuracy. Some of the holes have actual "roughs" which complicate your shot if you end up in them; other holes merely have dense forest which results in a penalty stroke to get out. After heavy rains the course is closed to protect the ground from getting too torn up.