Leander, TX
Williamson County DGC Share
Uploaded By: timg Hole #1 (Taken 3/2013)

One of the best in the area

5+    9/19/2009   10/7/2009
Review By: 4thechains@gmail.com
This review was updated on 10/18/2013
Pros: Concrete tee boxes and cool rock tee signs. This course requires great control over your disc. A good variety of short and long shots are required.
Cons: Some Tee boxes are too short for a good run up that is needed on some of the longer holes. Better tee signs would be great, with distances and par.
Other Thoughts: Probably my favorite course in the North Austin area. I highly reccomend this to anyone and everyone.

The Oak Canopy Course

2-4    8/13/2009   8/13/2009
Review By: skurf
Pros: -very nice, long concrete tees flush with the ground

-excellent variety of hole types-- long, medium and short; left, right, straight or a combination of every direction

-Difficult, but still manageable if you can keep composed. The short holes offer birdie ops, but require extreme precision, but not to a ridiculous level. You will be saying "Man, wish I had another shot on that one," a lot. The lines are there for you to hit. One thing I like is the difficulty scales with the length of the hole-- the tightest holes/fairways are on the shorter holes, but when you get to the longer holes it opens up a little, but still presents a multitude of obstacles, twists and turns.

-It flows well with rock lined paths between holes and a little rest area in the shade after Hole 9. You're going to need to gather your strength for the behemoth 800' Hole 10.

-Everything from the fairways to the baskets to the large rock mounds with tee box numbers to the dirt (yes, the dirt) to the trees (limbs that would block fairways are trimmed) are all in excellent condition

-I just love the property that this is on. It's like a small little Oak forest nestled in the heart of Texas. It's very well kept and every hole offers shade. Parts of the course you hardly see the sky during multiple hole stretches. There's just this nice oak canopy over a good portion of the course.
Cons: -there's only 2 trashcans on the course. One at the start (or maybe it was even in the parking lot) and one at the rest area between 9 and 10. However, most people seem to recognize what a jewel of a course this is and keep their trash with them till they reach one of the trash cans. It's probably the cleanest course in the Austin area...hmm maybe this stuff should have gone in the Pros section...

-lack of signage: no park sign telling you where the course is, no overall course map at the start and no tee signs with hole layouts.

Other Thoughts: It is a definitely a flat course and there are no water obstacles, which some people would knock for those reasons, but I don't consider them cons. Not every course can be built along a creek or on the side of a mountain. You couldn't have possibly designed a better course on this property (and what beautiful property it is), and this is truly one of course designer's John Houck's best works.

Overall, it's a pretty long course and will take some time to play so give yourself a good 2.5 to 3 hours to play it. It's a great summer course as its copious amounts of shade will block out the blasting Texas sun.

If you keep going straight after Hole 3 you'll come across the only sign on the course-- an ominous looking old cedar sign with the words "Knuckle Cave" painted on it and pointing down some crazy-tight looking limestone cave. Good luck with that.

Awesome Heart of Texas course, playing through mixed woods, rocks and hill country underbrush

2-4    5/15/2009   5/20/2009
Review By: t i m
Pros: An incredibly well-balanced and enjoyable course just outside of Austin. Nestled in a beautiful, newly built park near upscale neighborhoods, I was surprised a park like this included a disc golf course, but I was very grateful for the time and attention to detail demonstrated in putting this course into the ground.

Before the first hole, you pony up to the big welcome board, put your $1 in an envelope (honor system), check out the course map, and mosey on your way. Though they were out of maps and scorecards when I was there, according to locals, maps/scorecards and usually available at the kiosk.

I had the fortune of meeting up with two locals who showed off the course -- a pair of brand new UT grads -- who were enthusiastic about being out there. My thanks to them both. It made the round a lot more fun, but I think that with the map I would have found my way between holes, even without their help (though signage is lacking).

The course offers a great mix of par 3s and 4s, with all kinds of distances and twists and turns. It does favor forehand/lefty shots by a slight margin on total holes overall (by my count, 5 holes favor lefty, 4 holes favor righty, 9 holes are straight or have both L/R options). As someone who prefers forehand shots, its nice to see a course that is well-balanced (or even slightly favors lefty shots), since most courses tend to be designed in favor of RHBH shots... or are so open that it doesn't matter at all what you throw.

Williamson Country DGC (WC) is incredibly balanced and well-laid out. paths between holes sometimes overlap but there is minimal walking between holes and you are never throwing at someone. Excellent flow throughout the course, and exceptional use made of available land from what I could tell.

Virtually zero elevation to speak of anywhere on the course, but natural fairways are maximized and course is incredibly well maintained. Most of the paths between holes are wide, rock-lined and freshly mulched, which adds a sense of professionalism and style to the course.

Underbrush is thick enough to harshly penalize errant shots, but isn't so leafy and dense as to lose discs. A very nice balance, IMHO. Trees are fair throughout and fairways are well-defined. Luck isn't really a factor out here, and this course should play well to all skill levels.

All in all, an incredibly fun place to play -- challenging enough to keep someone coming back, but not overly frustrating.

Cons: * Tee signs need hole distances. This is a great drawback -- no distances on scorecard either. I need to know how far I'm throwing.

* Better signage needed between tees. Locals and map help, but it still wouldn't hurt to have a few more arrows.

* $1 course fee is annoying -- totally worth it (I'd pay $5 easy to play this course, maybe $10), but with all the free courses, this is still worth mentioning. Though $1 will never stop me from playing a course. I'd be happy to pay $1 per round everywhere in the country if all the courses were this good.

* Flat is a drawback for me -- I wish there was some elevation on the course, as it would add another dimension to play.

* Course doesn't circle back to the cars until 18, so take everything you need for the round when you start.

* Course lacks secondary tees or baskets, which could increase replay value and add options. An excellent one-layout course, but could be improved with secondary teepads or pins.

Other Thoughts: Truly one of the most fun courses I've played in a long time. I enjoyed every hole on this course and way grateful to get to play it twice. Scores of 59/62 weren't great, but weren't too embarrassing. Lots of birdies to be had if you're game is on for the short precision holes.

This is just an awesome course -- especially for Texas. Possibly the most pure fun to play of any of the Austin courses. East Metro Park (Manor) is a better tournament course, but this is more fun for everyday play. Can't wait to get back down here.

Nice course

5+    4/12/2009   4/14/2009
Review By: RRDiscgolfer
This review was updated on 4/21/2009
Pros: Very nice course. Its is a pay course and i dont mind paying for this course. course is laid out well and has many challenges. I consider this my home course and i play it at least 3-5 times a week. The trees reach out on some holes and make them challenging. The trees also make for some tight fairways. There are also so wide open holes like 14-18 which can also be windy. There are some aceable holes so it gives you something to work for and makes it interesting.
Cons: The only cons i have is all the loose, big rocks on some holes. could sprain an ankle if your not careful. I also have to put in a complaint about the cactus.
Other Thoughts: Great course, would recommend it to any beginner or pro.

Wilco

5+    3/30/2009   4/2/2009
Review By: Dude
Pros: Wilco is an extremely well designed course. It's hard enough so most pros will find challenges yet fair enough so newer players can stay on the fairway and get there eventually.

As a right handed player, Wilco has really forced me to learn how to throw a long forehand (or flick) shot.Yet there are times when you have to throw an anhyzer.

The best thing about Wilco is that you will get to work on every aspect of your game. You will have to maintain some accuracy to work around the trees in some of the fairways. There are both left and right skip shots that can come into play. The aforementioned RH forehand shot is key. I find that a roller works extremely well on hole 5. And you have to show some restraint on many of the holes...yet there are a good number of holes where you can let em rip.

Very protected from wind for the most part so on those windy days where it would be brutal trying to play some of the other parks, Wilco provides a nice respite...though when you get to the last 5 holes it opens up a bit so you get to face some wind challenges as well.

One of the things I love the most is that the short and long holes, for the most part, alternate so it almost eases you into the round. Then after the Beast (i.e. hole 10) there are 3 short holes that give 3 ace run opportunities, or hopefully birdies. We like to call these the turkey run holes b/c you very well could get 3 birdies in a row...which after 10 might bring you back down to an acceptable score. lol

Extremely flat terrain and there are no water hazards (also both a bit of a con as well.) Although it seems to be more crowded lately the players out here seem to be knowledgeable and respectful. Large groups tend to let people play through a bit more willingly than some of the other courses in town.

Very well maintained.
Cons: These are all very minor complaints for the most part and they don't really detract from the play in any way.

No distances at teeboxes. Lack of scorecards. Too few trashcans on course. Closed if it's rained in the last couple days...though it does get muddy so it's not too bad. Though it would be nice if there were some way to check online before committing to the drive.

Extremely flat terrain and there are no water hazards (also a pro if you're not looking for these things)
Other Thoughts: This was my favorite course in town prior to East Metro in Manor. It is challenging and it really forces you to become an overall better player.

Concrete teepads. $1 fee for course maintenance is well worth it. Close enough to Cat Hollow and the newer Brushy Creek course to get in a lot of rounds in on a single day.

Top Notch Course

5+    3/9/2009   3/9/2009
Review By: Flat Armadillo
Pros: I always have fun on this course. It was well designed and it's very challenging. Most of it is covered by trees. The concrete tees are nice and well labeled.
Cons: From parking to the course, it's kinda janky. First you need to travel some man made paths, then you need to cross 4 lanes of traffic without a crosswalk. The median is landscaped, so you either need to go around it, or tiptoe through it. The first time we visited it, we couldn't even find it. Everything else in that park is well labeled, just not the DGC. First timers: Park in the first lot you can get to. The course is across the street that you just drove in on.

Everything in the rough area seems to have some sort of thorn attached to it: cacti, thorn bushes, and thorn vines.
Other Thoughts: There's now a trash can at the end of hole 9. I'd like to see a few more of these along the way. It's such a beautiful course, my heart breaks every time I see litter scattered about. I'd help pick it up if there was a trashcan around the corner.

5+    1/11/2009   2/22/2009
Review By: biggio1
Pros: One of the best Austin area courses. Lots of shade for the hot summer days. Great cement tees. Many trees. Beautiful year round. Well maintained. Lefty and righty holes.
Cons: No water, but that might not be a con for you. No elevation. All shots are flat.
Other Thoughts: A fun lefty or sidearm course. In my top 5 Greater Austin Courses.

Summer Teeth -Wilco

1    1/25/2009   2/9/2009
Review By: DGtourist
Pros: WIlco has a top level touch of class in all the maintenance aspects of this course, for instance, the numbered rocks throughout the course are nicer here than 95% of the courses I have played. I also like how the rocks have been gathered up and line the walkways and fairways. It really puts the fairways into perspective and helps you understand how the course flows while you play. The teepads are great, since most Austin area courses don't have cement it makes this course all the better. They achieve all these classy touches without selling out its natural beauty! They have maps available at the kiosk which I would gladly pay two dollars for the keepsake, but I only needed to consult it a couple of times. They charge a buck to play but as nice as this courses is, you could pay five and still get your moneys worth.

The people in Austin are friendly all around, every group or person I encountered on this course were all very polite, helpful and knew proper golf etiquette. The attributes of the holes are long and open with wide fairways. Or the holes are tight and technical with ranging shot selection needed to make your way through. There is a well balanced mix of hole types throughout. The park has the disc courses in its own section and has left it mostly un-manicured. This course is a must play if you are in Austin. I imagine that it is a good shade course for hot days.
Cons: It's closed when it rains, they say its for maintenance and to keep erosion at bay. For me, a lot of the fun is being out in the wild (See my love for natural courses) and in the elements. I guess its for the greater good but the player in me wants to be out in the rain. There was a part or two in the middle that I got turned around from basket to tee, and needed to consult the map. The distances are a bit of a mystery because they are not on the scorecard or on the signs. When you print off the map from here you can add the distances from the hole info if you must. The path from basket to tee on 17 to 18's tee, walks you right in front of tee as you come around a big bush. I could see that cause an accident, I would block that path off and build another one that goes to the back of that tee box. As others have said the course is very flat and lacks signature obstacles such as creeks and ponds.
Other Thoughts: I like that people call this place Wilco because I like the band of same name very much. I scored really well here, I think it was because I was seasoned at East Metro and had my practice levels up a notch before I played here. In truth I imagine this is a tough course where scores can climb quickly. Like I said before, I would have no problem paying five bucks to play here. I wish I could give this course a 4.25. I was on the fence between 4 and 4.5, I say its better than all the fours I've played but not quite as good as the 4.5s. But hey, its all just a matter of preference and opinion, right? This is the type of course that I wish were my home course.

Fun course; very rough

1    12/20/2008   1/6/2009
Review By: cc0049
Pros: This is a challenging and technical course with long fairways carved into the trees and low ceilings. It is very beautiful here and makes for a very pleasant round. The concrete teepads were nice (and new from what I hear) and the baskets were in good condition. This course was very easy to navigate my first time out. There were scorecards available at the entrance where you pay your $1 fee to play.
Cons: The signage only gives you the hole number and not par and distance. The biggest con for me is that the whole place is riddled with rocks in the fairways. Not rocks that can be moved, but the kind that are stuck in the ground and project out. There is nothing that can be done about this really, so you just have to deal with it, but it stinks getting your discs all shredded...especially since a lot of the holes are doglegs left or right and require skip shots under a low tree ceiling.
Other Thoughts: They close the course after a rain to maintain the grounds. The course is seperated from the rest of the park so there isn't much traffic other than other disc golfers. It was very cold when I went to play so that put a damper on things and made me play in a bit of a rush. I'm looking forward to going back out and playing it again sometime when it is warmer.

Wilco

1    12/28/2008   12/28/2008
Review By: milow369
Pros: Easily accessible, plenty of parking. Well maintained paths, baskets and concrete tee pads. Every tee pad (and basket) is marked clearly with the hole number. Diverse design requires player to use many different shots.
Cons: No maps of holes at the teeboxes. No identification of par for the hole - unless you are lucky enough to get a card - didn't happen to be any available when I played. While most holes are intuitive it's easy to get a little lost when you're on one of the par 4s or the par 5. If you follow the clearing that is the hole you will eventually run into a basket.
Other Thoughts: Lots of tunnels to shoot through, most holes have plenty of trees to deal with but also offer lines to the basket. Pretty country, some opportunity to lose a disc if one is yanked hard right/left but for the most part just a technical course. I am looking forward to giving it another try now that I have some idea how the holes are laid out.