Leander, TX
Williamson County DGC Share
Uploaded By: timg Hole #12 (Taken 3/2013)

1 2 3 4 Next >
 Summer Teeth -Wilco

1    1/25/2009   2/9/2009
Review By: DGtourist
Pros: WIlco has a top level touch of class in all the maintenance aspects of this course, for instance, the numbered rocks throughout the course are nicer here than 95% of the courses I have played. I also like how the rocks have been gathered up and line the walkways and fairways. It really puts the fairways into perspective and helps you understand how the course flows while you play. The teepads are great, since most Austin area courses don't have cement it makes this course all the better. They achieve all these classy touches without selling out its natural beauty! They have maps available at the kiosk which I would gladly pay two dollars for the keepsake, but I only needed to consult it a couple of times. They charge a buck to play but as nice as this courses is, you could pay five and still get your moneys worth.

The people in Austin are friendly all around, every group or person I encountered on this course were all very polite, helpful and knew proper golf etiquette. The attributes of the holes are long and open with wide fairways. Or the holes are tight and technical with ranging shot selection needed to make your way through. There is a well balanced mix of hole types throughout. The park has the disc courses in its own section and has left it mostly un-manicured. This course is a must play if you are in Austin. I imagine that it is a good shade course for hot days.
Cons: It's closed when it rains, they say its for maintenance and to keep erosion at bay. For me, a lot of the fun is being out in the wild (See my love for natural courses) and in the elements. I guess its for the greater good but the player in me wants to be out in the rain. There was a part or two in the middle that I got turned around from basket to tee, and needed to consult the map. The distances are a bit of a mystery because they are not on the scorecard or on the signs. When you print off the map from here you can add the distances from the hole info if you must. The path from basket to tee on 17 to 18's tee, walks you right in front of tee as you come around a big bush. I could see that cause an accident, I would block that path off and build another one that goes to the back of that tee box. As others have said the course is very flat and lacks signature obstacles such as creeks and ponds.
Other Thoughts: I like that people call this place Wilco because I like the band of same name very much. I scored really well here, I think it was because I was seasoned at East Metro and had my practice levels up a notch before I played here. In truth I imagine this is a tough course where scores can climb quickly. Like I said before, I would have no problem paying five bucks to play here. I wish I could give this course a 4.25. I was on the fence between 4 and 4.5, I say its better than all the fours I've played but not quite as good as the 4.5s. But hey, its all just a matter of preference and opinion, right? This is the type of course that I wish were my home course.

Fun course; very rough

1    12/20/2008   1/6/2009
Review By: cc0049
Pros: This is a challenging and technical course with long fairways carved into the trees and low ceilings. It is very beautiful here and makes for a very pleasant round. The concrete teepads were nice (and new from what I hear) and the baskets were in good condition. This course was very easy to navigate my first time out. There were scorecards available at the entrance where you pay your $1 fee to play.
Cons: The signage only gives you the hole number and not par and distance. The biggest con for me is that the whole place is riddled with rocks in the fairways. Not rocks that can be moved, but the kind that are stuck in the ground and project out. There is nothing that can be done about this really, so you just have to deal with it, but it stinks getting your discs all shredded...especially since a lot of the holes are doglegs left or right and require skip shots under a low tree ceiling.
Other Thoughts: They close the course after a rain to maintain the grounds. The course is seperated from the rest of the park so there isn't much traffic other than other disc golfers. It was very cold when I went to play so that put a damper on things and made me play in a bit of a rush. I'm looking forward to going back out and playing it again sometime when it is warmer.

Wilco

1    12/28/2008   12/28/2008
Review By: milow369
Pros: Easily accessible, plenty of parking. Well maintained paths, baskets and concrete tee pads. Every tee pad (and basket) is marked clearly with the hole number. Diverse design requires player to use many different shots.
Cons: No maps of holes at the teeboxes. No identification of par for the hole - unless you are lucky enough to get a card - didn't happen to be any available when I played. While most holes are intuitive it's easy to get a little lost when you're on one of the par 4s or the par 5. If you follow the clearing that is the hole you will eventually run into a basket.
Other Thoughts: Lots of tunnels to shoot through, most holes have plenty of trees to deal with but also offer lines to the basket. Pretty country, some opportunity to lose a disc if one is yanked hard right/left but for the most part just a technical course. I am looking forward to giving it another try now that I have some idea how the holes are laid out.

Awesome South Texas Course

2-4    11/26/2008   11/26/2008
Review By: discinator
Pros: This course is the most well taken care of course that I have played. It has nice rock lined paths between holes. Nice cement tees which is rare for the Austin area. There is a course map at the bulletin board and score cards are provided.

The fairways are all mowed which helps identify which way the holes go- this is needed because a few of the holes have multiple doglegs with blind shots.
The shot variety is tremendous. Nearly every hole has more than one narrow line to the basket. There are both right and left hand turns. Numerous tight tunnel shots off of the tee- this is a pretty technical course. There were a couple of holes where you could really let loose but the rest required more control. There are a lot of trees but if you miss the fairway you will usually have some sort of shot.

You won't lose discs on this course due to the meticulous grooming.
Cons: This course is flat- absolutely no elevation changes. No water obstacles.
There need to be signs with the hole layout at each tee since there are times that you are throwing blind. The scorecards do have a map, but with a course this nice you would think they would just fork out the cash and put some signs up.
It is pay to play, but its only a dollar. It is well worth the dollar.
Other Thoughts: Overall this is one really great course. Its fun and not so difficult that you feel beat down at the end. It isn't the most difficult course in Austin but it definitely is one of the best.

Tough, well maintained course

1    10/30/2008   10/30/2008
Review By: metis314159
Pros: Nice, long cement pads - a rarity for Austin courses. Good mix of distances for the holes along with many holes requiring challenging shots through relatively dense woods. Several more open holes towards the end if woods aren't your thing.

Cons: Virtually no elevation changes or water so all the hole variety only comes from trees and distance. Also, it would have been nice to have diagrams (and distances) of the holes at each hole. Why, on such a well-maintained course, there was only one trash can is beyond me.
Other Thoughts: This course will challenge intermediate players since most holes require distance and accuracy. Some of the holes have actual "roughs" which complicate your shot if you end up in them; other holes merely have dense forest which results in a penalty stroke to get out. After heavy rains the course is closed to protect the ground from getting too torn up.

no ivy

1    9/15/2008   9/15/2008
Review By: Innovadude
Pros: -Even though in tight, thick woods often, I found no poison ivy.
-Cement tee pads.
-Well marked in that the tees and baskets are numbered, large map at hole #1, and scorecard/maps provided. Also, rock lined paths between each hole mean you never have to look at the map.
-Tough, tight technical shots that can be punishing, but you get your disc back and can usually throw out, unlike many other Texas woods courses.
-Extremely well manicured and clean, professional looking fairways.
-1$ is cheap for pay-to-play, and here it keeps it well maintained and clean.
Cons: -Too many low ceilings for my taste, I like to let my disc actually fly.
-I found it to be VERY lefty/righty sidearm favoring, too biased and not well balanced in that regard.
-No distances listed on the map, scorecard or holes- you just have to guess.
Other Thoughts: Worthy of being a destination course.

Fantastic course...

8/9/2008   8/10/2008
Review By: justinmjames
Pros: New concrete tee boxes make it really nice. Great signage to mark tees, paths are relatively easy to follow. No elevation change or big hills or anything, so great for a stroller or cart. Everything from a long par 5 and 4s to ace runs. Def in my top 3 around austin.
Cons: No distance signs. Would be nice if it were mowed sometimes on a few of the open holes.
Other Thoughts: Well worth the 1.00 to play. Quite possibly my fav course period. I dont agree with the description that this is one of the hardest in texas. As long as you can throw low and straight, this course is pretty average if you can avoid the trees.

5+    9/9/2008   7/17/2008
Review By: sidewinding
This review was updated on 10/31/2008
Pros: "Wilco" is a heavily wooded technical course with beautiful fairways. Even the most technical holes seem fair.

It is very difficult requiring both distance and accuracy to score good. The shot variety required here far surpases most other Austin Courses.

They just put in concrete tee pads which really took this course to the next level.
Cons: It costs $1.00 to play, but you get a map and scorecard (which they were out of the last time I played).

There are no elevation changes or water hazards. The challenge comes from the various curving fairways through dense woods.

Beginners will not like a few of the holes because they are just too long.

You can lose discs in the tall grass and cedars that line some of the fairways.

There are no distances posted anywhere, even on the scorecard and map. I think hole #10 is about 1000' but who knows? If they would fix this problem I would seriously consider giving this course a 5 disc rating.
Other Thoughts: This is a great course for a hot Texas summer day because there is a huge amount of shade. It is also good on a windy day because the trees block the wind.

Good Course

6/14/2008   6/14/2008
Review By: DctrJ
Pros: There is a good mixture of long range and short, technical holes. I had lots of fun.
Cons: It's a bit difficult to find hole 1 if you've never been to the park.
Other Thoughts: When you first come in look for a green steel bridge to the left right before the rotary intersection. Over that bridge you will find a hole 1.

Very nice course

1    1/20/2008   3/26/2008
Review By: ERicJ
This review was updated on 11/18/2008
Pros:
Very nice course with a wide variety of distances. Paths from hole to hole are lined with rocks making it very obvious how the course flows. Zero possibility of pedestrian interference.
Cons:
Needs better signs in the main part of the park to find the disc golf course. Could use another trash can. I heard rumors of a nasty bee hive on #18. Pretty muddy after any rainfall.
The course is closed after heavy rains to protect the ground from getting too torn up.

I didn't mind paying the $1 to play this course at all; money well spent. This is one of the better and most challenging courses I've played. At the time I played I was very much a novice and the course kicked my butt. I look forward to getting back one day to see what I can do now.

I've since heard that they have installed concrete tee pads. Which, if true, could up my rating as the mud on this course was one of its detractors.

1 2 3 4 Next >