Leander, TX
Williamson County DGC Share
Uploaded By: timg Hole #14 (Taken 3/2013)

Nice Course

1    5/14/2011   5/14/2011
Review By: slicemaster
This review was updated on 6/9/2012
Pros: - Excellent tee boxes. These were the best have played on.
- The fairways and rough are well defined. Also nice that the rough doesn't eat your disc a la East Metro.
- I saw some one said it was hard to navigate but I thought the total opposite. I had a local tell me to just follow the rock path and I never had trouble finding my way.
- Challenging tree lines that really test your accuracy. I have also seen this as a complaint but seriously play North Town if you really want some ridiculous lines.
- You are pretty much guaranteed not to lose a disc at this course, if you do you are just lazy.
- Good variety of distance from hole to hole. Nothing too short or long but a good mix.
- Baskets are in great shape, no loose tops or excessive graffiti.
Cons: - No water. To me this alone should make this course less than 4 stars. I'm sure some people like not having to lose disc in a creek or pond but it is an essential to any 4 star rated disc golf course imo.
- The amount of rocks and roots really take away from the enjoyment of this course. I had many shots stop dead upon hitting the ground when normally they would get an extra 15-30 ft. Don't plan on throwing any rollers out here.
- Very crowded park in terms of disc golf and everything else going on at least on the weekends. Not many secluded areas to do your business, whatever that may be.
- Very flat, elevation is never a factor here.
Other Thoughts: For a pay to play and a 4 star rating this course did not deliver for me. It isn't all that challenging and without water or elevation changes it gets a little repetitive. As I said above it was very crowded and the wait on each hole took away from the flow of the game. For instance I was on a two hole birdie run then had to wait almost 10 min on the next hole and lost my mojo and my arm got a little tight considering there are so many flick shots. This course does have its good points but imo it should considering it takes in more money than any other surrounding course. With that kind of funding I kind of expected a few more memorable holes and a few less rocks. I'll play it again but not very often. The people rating this 4 or more need to really compare it to the rest of the Austin area courses and realize this course is just average.

Favors sidearmers

5+    4/13/2011   4/16/2011
Review By: cris4422
Pros: Lots of great holes, great challenges and great distance variety.
Cons: Way too many holes going right. This is the only course I've played that costs money. Seems rather greedy. Even courses far better than this in Austin don't charge to play. I don't recommend this for anyone who throws strictly backhand as it will be difficult for you on most holes.
Other Thoughts: Very very difficult to find your way to the next hole. If your playing for your first time you won't survive without a map. Also teeboxes lack the distances of the holes. Course could be much much better if the holes were in order and there was more variety in between sidearm and backhand.

A Wonderful Course

1    3/16/2011   3/16/2011
Review By: thshistory
Pros: Great course in terms of shot selection and hole variety. Hole one may have been my favorite. It gets a little heavy on the trees but a course in great condition. It is obviously cared for.
Cons: Needs more trash cans. The thing I hate to see is trash on a course. Common' disc golfers. take care of your courses even if you have to carry your trash a few holes.
Other Thoughts: Fantastic course, well laid out. Worth the drive and one dollar fee. There is little elevation if you like that kind of thing.

Worth the Dollar. For sure.

2-4    1/7/2011   1/9/2011
Review By: C-Van
Pros: Excellent course, lots of different styles of holes. There was obviously a lot of trees in the course, but there were 3 or 4 holes that had a limited number of trees on it and that allowed you to just rip the disc. Really challenges you and forces you to work many kinds of throws.
Cons: Only one trash can, I had to carry my cup about 9 holes before I could throw it away, this made for some litter in some of the trees along the course, which bothers me. Maybe they don't need a trash can at every hole, but at least every other hole. There are about three holes there in the middle of the course that are very similar, which makes one wish for some variety.
Other Thoughts: Absolutely wonderful course that really challenges you, and makes you a better disc golf player. Easily worth the dollar.

Flatter and Tougher than you'd Think

1    9/4/2010   9/9/2010
Review By: srm_520
Pros: Williamson County DGC is tough - nuff said. This Houck design left no angle unexplored and no path ungroomed. He did however leave just about every tree in the area started with. Holes range from 210' to over 800' if you measure from the distance on the hole markers. Hole #10 is especially brutal, taking most players three decent throws just to have a look at the basket.

The course looks perfect, with mulched covered, rock lined pathways. The tight fairways are very well defined and the overlapping design wasn't bad to navigate for the first timer because of this fact. The tees are concrete and marked with huge rocks and a metal hole number attached, which are great looking and easy to spot from a distance.

The course is also dead flat, so families or people pushing strollers won't have a difficult time getting through it. Plus, this is part of a larger park complex, so there are things to keep the family busy while you hit a round. Finally, the ample trees provide a great shade barrier in the hot Texas summer.

BEST HOLE/S: #10
Cons: For being so well groomed - I was surprised at the lack of seating and trashcans. Given the entry fee, you'd think trashcans would have been a priority. There was a lot of trash by most tee boxes, and there were multiple times I wished there was a large rock to rest on like you'd see at Circle C Metro Park @ Slaughter Creek.

I think John Houck has never met a tree he didn't like. I love a tight and technical course, it keeps things interesting, but more than once I found myself thinking one or two more trees gone from the fairway would have been a good thing. I think a line down the fairway should be more about skill than luck because I'm not a fan of pinball golf.

Although the length, foliage density, and varied lines keep things interesting, there is nothing unique or defining about this course as there is with many Austin courses. The place is dead flat and bone dry. Also, the layout intertwines on itself many times, so even though things are well maintained - a first timer should still print a map.

Finally, a dollar isn't a big deal, and I was happy to contribute, but I know many people get turned off by having to pay to play. It's on the honor system, so I'm sure you could get away with not paying, but the money goes back into making the course better so just pay up and enjoy your round.

WORST HOLE/S: #16
Other Thoughts: No one can argue that Wilco presents a significant challenge to most disc golfers with its tight lines and unforgiving rough. However, with the lack of elevation, water, or any other defining features, most holes felt forgettable. I had a great time playing, my abilities were pushed, and by the time it was over - I looked back to couldn't tell you much of what I just did.

Usually, I can close my eyes and picture each hole played, but here you just picture a rugged tree-filled landscape. This isn't really a pro or con as much as it is simply an interesting observation about Austin courses. I suppose a person can get so spoiled playing East Metro Park, Circle C, Twin Parks, the Circle R courses, and various other Austin area disc golf beauties, that often times things simply meld together into one atypical hill country course. It's just that here - it was all country and no hills.

Home Course

5+    6/28/2010   7/12/2010
Review By: puttinhutton
This review was updated on 7/14/2010
Pros: This is a beautiful Houck design. It's a heavily wooded tract that requires careful shot shaping and accuracy.The course is well shaded and, except for two holes, each hole is unique.

There are several features of this course that make it exceptional in my opinion.
1. Most of the holes have multiple alleys or multiple options making course judgment critical. The par 4 and 5 holes have a number of different route options.
2. It will test your shot making ability. The alleys are tight enough to make accuracy more important than length on most of the holes. But they are not too tight that you feel confined. If you rated it on an open to tight scale of 1-10, most of the holes are in that very desirable mid-range of 4-6.

Holes: This is how I plan to play it, but sometimes the trees have other thoughts. Shot descriptions are for a "rightie".
#1, par 3 has birdie possibilities with two approaches to the hole, a gentle annie from the left or a slight hyzer from the right. I prefer the hyzer with a skip up to the hole when I'm lucky enough to thread the trees about a 120 feet from the tee. I usually throw my Valk.
#2, par 3 has ace possibilities if you go at it straight, but you have to negotiate horizontal limbs that make it a bit of a crapshoot. Sometimes I'll just go for it straight on with a Sidewinder. I prefer a hyzer to the right with a Wraith or Katana kept low under the tree canopy turning a hard left with a skip to the basket.
#3 is a lazy S par 4 with birdie only possible for the long throwers, if your lucky. I'm happy with par. The drive needs to be a slight hyzer as long as you can throw it and still hit the fairway. Left is death in the cedars. Right makes your next shot a more difficult throw with more left to right action. A juniper on the right guards the approach to the hole and if it eats your disc, good luck. It can put you in jail. A large oak tree guards the left approach to the hole.
#4, par 4 can be real trouble. You need a slight annie low and straight under the tree canopy and missing the tree guarding the landing area to the right. A forehand is also a good shot if you have the length. The hole then sharply doglegs to the right. If you can pull off another low straight shot and avoid the trees guarding the hole, you may have a putt for birdie 3. You will be happy with a par, especially if your drive is less than ideal. I like my Sidewinder or Valk off the tee and my Valk or Sirius Orion LF for the second.
#5, par 3 is a birdie hole with two options to the hole. I prefer the right hyzer shot between the two trees just off the tee. You need to miss the tree guarding the alley at the turn to the left and skip it up to the hole. I use my Katana. The straight alley is a tight shot all the way to the hole.
#6, par 4 is a low, gentle annie threading the needle all the way and avoiding the tree guarding the middle of the landing area. Or you could take the right alley which is tighter for me. I like the Valk or Sidewinder. If you have this shot, you are at the turn on this hard dogleg right, and the next shot is straight through another tree alley with a late fall back to the left to the basket. Again, I like the Valk or Sidewinder. If you can pull off two really good shots here you have a chance for birdie. You will be happy with par 4.
#7, par 3 is a slight annie to an open fairway but preferably to the left side of the fairway tree. If you have a long drive you may have a birdie opportunity. Otherwise you have a short forehand flip or backhand annie to the hole.
#8, par 3 is reachable, but relatively tight, with the tightest area near the hole. I like the Sidewinder here.
#9, par 3 is a straight drive to an open area with a sharp dogleg to the right at the hole. Unless you have some long putts in your bag, or maybe a long forehand drive that skips hard right up to the hole, you are happy with par. I like my Valk here.
#10, par 5 is the signature hole and will bring you back for retribution. Most likely, the hole will have the retribution. It is a long "S" and you need a long straight drive through the tree tunnel if you expect to par. I like the Valk, or maybe the Sirius Orion LF if the wind is up a little. If you can pull this off, your next shot is a low hyzer that must take a fairly sharp left turn and still avoid two trees in the fairway. I like the Katana or Wraith. Then a backhand with a Sidewinder (or hard forehand for those who can) as the fairway falls back right. But you need to stay to the left side and avoid trees on the left and right. If you have pulled off these shots successfully, its a relatively short approach and putt for a par 5. I can't imagine making a birdie on this hole, but I know it's been done.
#11, 12 and 13 are birdie holes and you need to make two out of three to expect to score well out here.
#11, par 3 is a relatively short forehand flip with trees guarding both sides of the alley. I flip the Surge or Wraith.
#12, par 3 is straight away, moderately tight, not long and aceable. But don't overshoot or you may end up in jail. To go for it or not to go for, that is the question. Sometimes I go for the ace. But I usually let it skip up to the hole for a birdie try.
#13, par 3 is a low backhand hyzer that will hopefully skip up to the hole which is guarded by small trees. Rocks in the fairway and the tight alley make skipping a challenge. I like my Sirius Orion LF.
#14, par 4 is a long, relatively open drive hopefully close to two oaks with cedars at the base (heinous) framing the approach. I usually throw the Wraith for the drive because of the prevailing headwind on this relatively open hole. The approach to the hole is a blind backhand annie, or forehand flip. If my drive is positioned right, I usually go with the Sidewinder annie. If you've got these shots, birdie is a possibility. But par is welcome.
#15, par 3 is like #9.
#16, par 3 is straight away and more difficult than it first appears. It's not particularly tight, but if you miss the fairway you will pay for it because of some strategically located cedars and mesquite trees(watch out for the thorns). There's a small tree in the middle. If you have a monster arm you may have a birdie opportunity, but I can only dream of that. I throw the Sirius Orion LF up the right alley and hope it misses the small cedar on the right side about 260 feet down the fairway before it breaks back to the fairway. Be careful with the approach because the cedars on the right can grab it and turn your anticipated par into bogey very quickly.
#17, par 3 is a sharp dogleg left with an open fairway, a large tree on the right, and two alleys to the hole, one short and one long. If you have a gorilla arm, I expect you have a chance for birdie by going the long route with a backhand hyzer skipping to the hole. But the reality for most of us is to set yourself up for a clear approach to the hole and hope for a short putt for par. I like the Katana for the drive.
#18, par 4 is another truly phenomenal par 4 hole. There are two alleys off the tee, one straight and one to the right. I prefer the straight shot with a Valk. If you have a long straight drive, and another long straight and low second between or around several trees including two trees guarding the landing area, you may have a long putt for birdie. Most of us will be happy with a par.

Cons: The land is very flat and there are no elevation changes. The rough areas are generally very dense with a few too many junipers for my taste. Despite the good efforts of the Williamson County parks crew, a number of oaks have died likely due to soil compaction (with disc hits also taking their toll).
Other Thoughts: The course is closed during wet weather to help avoid soil compaction. This is one of my favorite courses in the entire Central Texas area and I am happy to call it my home course. Being that it is on the outskirts of Austin, it is not as heavily played as other Austin courses which keeps it in better shape. There is a $1 fee on the honor system.

First time playing Wilco

1    5/8/2010   5/8/2010
Review By: Davesdisc
Pros: For a seasoned disc golfer, this was one heck of a course. Front 9 is brutal yet fair. Love the cement pads to tee off on. Layout makes sense and is easy to find the next hole. Plenty of shade.
Cons: Needs secondary tee boxes for intermediate or advanced players who don't have big arms. Needs more trash cans throughout the course.
Other Thoughts: Played it for the first time today in the wind. More difficult than Circle C or Brushy Creek with the wind. Did not lose a disc which is nice. A very well thought out course but needs two sets of tee pads. Beginners should play elsewhere.

Long and challengin

1    4/3/2010   4/15/2010
Review By: breakingday
Pros: This is definitely a professional course. The distance of the holes coupled with the treeline makes for some surprisingly difficult shots. It's not overly technical though, and can be played at your leisure. Very well maintained course, with distances and hole instructions provided.
Cons: LONG. Wilco's a pretty unforgiving course, and it can be difficult to find the balance between distance and not getting lost in the bushes.
Other Thoughts: Make a day of it, this is a great course to bring some lunch along if you feel like taking a break.

5+    11/16/2009   1/16/2010
Review By: Scoot_er
Pros: Very good variety including 4 challenging par 4s and 1 very tough par 5.

There are plenty of chances for 2s as well if you have a well rounded game and your accuracy is on as there are a few linked birdie holes under 300ft. These include 1-2, 7-8, and 11-13.

The course ends with the moderate difficulty par 4 14th then the tough but birdiable 15-17 with a nice technical par 4 to finish on 18.

Overall the course offers both variety in hyzer/anhyzer holes but also in the use of short technical and long more open shots that require accurate placement. Every Hole on this course could see a 2 stroke swing and that is what makes it so great.
Cons: Thorns can be a little rough if you get off the fairways and the course could use some more trashcans.

Also a few Olse holes that favor a short sidearm over a controlled anhyzer with an angled line.
Other Thoughts: This is a great course that is not too brutal for someone of intermediate level but also sees few rounds under par even from Pro players.

tite

5+    11/30/2009   11/30/2009
Review By: WhoMikeDank
This review was updated on 9/23/2012
Pros: this course has cement tees and challenging fairways. long and short shots plus many right turning fairways. tees are numbered and paths easy to see
Cons: needs more trashcans
Other Thoughts: $1 to play and course closes when it rains