Tallahassee, FL
Tom Brown Park Share
Uploaded By: ILER Hole #6 (Taken 4/2011)

< Prev 1 2 3
Great course

2-4    6/20/2014   6/20/2014
Review By: Loomis
Pros: The course has brand new tee signs for both long and short tees. It also has signs guiding you around the course. Fun. Challenging. Fair. Safe. Has bathrooms. No security issues. Course looks well maintained.
Cons: The open holes are fun but they lack any challenge other than distance.

Fire ants are everywhere so bring a stool to put your bag on while you throw.
Other Thoughts: I read the reviews and was unsure if I wanted to play the course given all the negative comments regarding tee signs and course navigation. However, we found the course to be well marked and easy to navigate. Granted the walk from hole 9 to hole 10 is long and awkward it's still not that hard to find.

Great course with a great selection of shots. The visual distances will fool you. It's bigger than it looks.

The water holes are nothing you need to worry about. It's a shallow creek. If you find the creek with your shots you'll get the disc back. The real threat is the thick brush on the course that will swallow any bad shot. Don't get cocky and try a sky hyzer. Keep it on the fairway or you won't see your disc ever again.

1    8/4/2013   8/4/2013
Review By: myroomisajunkyard
Pros: Cement tees
Big space
first 9 holes
Cons: didn't know where to go after I crossed the road. I saw all the tee's found few with signs, saw baskets but no numbers. Some basket apparently was gone, I went in the winter so I'm not sure if they took it down for the season, thinking it was Florida it'd be up all year round.

Signs

1    4/18/2013   4/18/2013
Review By: westflagator
Pros: Can't say much different then Notverygood. He describe everything about the course perfect.
Cons: Agree with him about signs. I was very lost trying to find my way around. I also think that there needs to be more garbage cans around the course and the baskets need to be painted or cleaned so they could be seen easier.
Other Thoughts: I did meet a cool guy named Mr. Gill who helped me alot.

Overall a great course

5+    2/20/2013   2/23/2013
Review By: Notverygood
Pros: Challenging, but not too tough. Enough tight, low ceiling shots to make you mad, but enough wide open long bomb holes to even it out.

Relatively well maintained. Concrete tee pads at all 24 holes, and most have tee signs.

The layout is convenient, hole 9 ends up back near the parking area, as does hole 18. Makes it easy to play a quick 9 holes after work, or play all 18-24.

A decent amount of elevation change for a Florida course. I'm sure nothing compared to others, but compared to some courses further south in Fla, it's nice.

Extra 6 holes! The regular 18 are fun, but the additional 6 are some unique, tougher shots.

Friendly regulars. Always willing to let you play through, offer help or shoot the bull.

The park that the course is in is awesome! Tons of sports fields, top notch r/c track, some of the best mtn biking in Florida, a huge playground, a dog park, etc. etc. etc. plenty of other things to do aside from disc golf there!
Cons: Outdated, poor condition signage at some holes.

Although I know the way now, the trek from hole 9 to 10 got me lost and wasn't marked very well.

Unfortunately being in such an active/awesome park, you'll often encounter runners, bikers, idiots, picnickers, and people not aware they're in the way.

Aside from thick woods and roads, it lacks some OB obstacles. No real water holes. Again, hardly a con!
Other Thoughts: Overall, I'm lucky to have such a great course so close to home. If you're passing by on I-10 or in town, I highly recommend throwing a round or two here! And with all the other great things to do at the park, don't be afraid to bring the family

So close to being so awesome.

1    3/22/2012   8/22/2012
Review By: Connor Jones
Pros: Nice baskets.

Uniform teepads as far as I can remember, a good length and width.

The bonus six holes are awesome and allow you to throw all sorts of fun lines.

There is some really excellent elevation out here, I think hole 11 is the huge downhill one, that is a freaking excellent hole with a fun teeshot.

Huge park, a ton of things to do here with some really massive playgrounds for kids.

Two sets of tees that actually do provide a different look, they did extremely well in this department.

The teesigns get the job done.
Cons: There is only one con, but it is kind of a big one, for me personally I felt as if a lot of these holes just sort of run together, kind of monotonous in flavor. This is why I really appreciated the letter holes because I felt as if they spiced things up quite a bit. A lot of these holes are just really open though and didn't offer a ton of variety.
Other Thoughts: This is a great course, I personally prefer something a bit more wooded but this was really fun none-the-less. If I had to just pick one course though, it would be Jack McLean because I believe that is the better balanced course.

Regardless, play this one if you have time for both, it still is a very good course and I'll play it again when I return.

My favorite course

5+    5/19/2012   6/21/2012
Review By: knightmare0101
Pros: Will require all the shots in your arsenal from the tee box--backhand, flick, distance, accuracy shot through trees, high to low, low to high, etc. Good variety of holes, from wide open to tight woods holes. The bonus six holes are played through the woods, and one time I saw three owls. Locals are very friendly and park feels extremely safe. This course is my favorite.
Cons: Sometimes gets crowded on the weekends or has tournaments.

Tallahassee has a winner

1    6/16/2012   6/18/2012
Review By: flyingdisc
Pros: -Great variety of holes
-Plenty of open and wooded areas to play
-Signs at every hole
-Benches at a lot of the holes
-Concrete Am and Pro tee pads at most holes
-Beautiful park
-Playground area for families looked well maintained
-Shaved ice vendor (day we played)
-Beginner friendly
Cons: -Couple of baskets looked aged
-Newer signs at some tee pads needed
-No maps of course that I could find
-Parking lot at hole 1 could be bigger
Other Thoughts: Finally got to play here! Drove almost two hours to come play here and Jack McLean after hearing so much about each park. I do have to say it was worth the drive. A really nice combination of interesting holes. A little something for everyone no matter what your skill level. A great course for beginners and pros alike. I really enjoyed how the course plays in and out of the woods in at least two different areas, with an average of three or four holes in each section, with open sections in between. I do believe you could try just about every shot in your arsenal here, from long bombing drives and technical shots, to rollers on a couple of holes. A beautiful park with Am and Pro tees on just about every hole. No water hazards on the day we played as it was all dried up (Florida heat). Benches at certain holes. There is a nice play area for kids, where there was even a shaved ice vendor. Park was busy the day we were there, but not enough to slow you down as the park is big enough to support all types of groups. A really nice park for all ages. There is even a RC and BMX track next to hole #2. Holes A-F are located once you reach hole 14, making the course a total of 24 holes. With elevation on both slopes, woods, open long drives and dog legs to the left and right you really can't find much here you cannot play or even enjoy. Something for everyone at this course.

Getting Better and Better

5+    3/15/2012   3/21/2012
Review By: fsunjm08
Pros: Unbelievable Variety, esp. for a course in FL, great mix of
-Uphill / Downhill
-Backhand / Sidearm
-Open / Wooded
-Short / Long

Improvements are constantly being made on this course to make it more and more interesting. A year ago they added a 600ft plus bomb of a tee shot par 4 that I look forward to every time I play. A week ago they added an elevated basket that sits 8 feet off the ground.

Beautiful Park and Friendly Locals

Multiple Pins and Pads to make for a fun and challenging course for all skill sets
Cons: They are working on getting better signage out there because right now it is not the best.
Other Thoughts: Really picky disc golfers need to stop whining about the par 3.5s on this course and throw a good tee shot. The hilliest disc golf course in Florida

Strenuous Round for Florida

1    11/17/2011   2/28/2012
Review By: ZMan44
Pros: Tom Brown Park has 24 fairly unique holes. The additional 6 holes blended in with the rest of the course very well. The design loops back to the parking area after 9 holes.

There are some wooded holes that are definitely challenging, though most of the course is open.

This course used elevation better than any other course in Florida that I have played. Usually, there is not much elevation available for use, but there is at Tom Brown Park, and the designers used it well.

There are plenty of trees to provide shade, but it can still get rather hot.
Cons: Occasionally it was very difficult to see the pin from the basket, or to identify the ideal line. Hole 1 stands out. I remember throwing my drive and then looking for the basket. After finding the basket, I thought "how the heck do you get over there?" I honestly took a fairway driver and threw it low to the ground as hard as I could from about 80 feet out. It cut through the underbrush and made it safely to about 10 feet…though this should not be the ideal path.

There are a couple of holes that are in the open areas where multiple baskets are visible from the tee. If you've never played there, you kind of have to scout them out because it's easy to pick the wrong one. Contacting a guide would be helpful.

For a park that didn't seem to have a whole lot of other things going on, there were a number of non-disc golfers. Maybe many folks use it for walking. There was one young couple having a picnic in the middle of a fairway on the back 9. Another young lady was reading a book within 30 feet of the basket on a back 9 hole. The lady moved, but the couple refused so we just threw over them…they were only about 200 feet away so we cleared them pretty easily.
Other Thoughts: Wind plays a major factor at this course. In the open areas, gusty winds can make it difficult. This is neither a Pro nor a Con given that it is an element of the game.

When I see "moderately hilly" for a Floridian course, I don't get too worries…but this round was a workout. There is some significant elevation change on the holes and traversing hillsides can wear you out quickly, especially in the Floridian heat. My suggestion is to down size your bag. You don't need 20+ discs to play this course well, and lugging that many around will affect you here. I played with my fully loaded Lat64 Pro Bag…and boy did I regret it. My calves were on fire.

Try to stop and refuel after 9 holes. You will probably feel fine, but the extra 6 holes are on the backside, and that part of the course has the most hills. In essence, you won't be back to the car for 15 holes, which is almost a regular course. Be prepared, it gets hot and the hike is much more strenuous.

Tom Brown Park is an above average course. It has some solid design elements. I didn't really get a feeling of repetition, even though the course is mostly open. It doesn't really have that "wow" factor or couple of amazing holes that would push it to "excellent" status, but it is a really solid course. I am an FSU student studying online and had the opportunity to play while I was in town for a scholarship dinner. I got there early in order to play some disc golf, and was not disappointed. This is a good spot, and worth checking out if you are in the area.

TBP Review

5+    9/3/2011   9/5/2011
Review By: scottgopre
Pros: -This course offers a good deal of different holes to play on.
-Well maintained course.
-Free to play.
-Good for all levels of players, whether your first time playing, or seasoned pro.
-Some short holes to test CTP abilities.
-Some long holes to test your distance power.
Cons: -You might get behind a big slow group.
-Stand a chance to be searching for a disc in the woods.
-Not every hole has signage to show layout of the hole.
-Pedestrians and cyclists may stroll through during play.
Other Thoughts: Tallahasse Parks & Rec. is working on the signage problem.
The course changes from time to time to keep you on your toes (several holes have multiple pin placements).

< Prev 1 2 3