Tallahassee, FL
Tom Brown Park Share
Uploaded By: ILER Hole #6 (Taken 4/2011)

So close to being so awesome.

1    3/22/2012   8/22/2012
Review By: Connor Jones
Pros: Nice baskets.

Uniform teepads as far as I can remember, a good length and width.

The bonus six holes are awesome and allow you to throw all sorts of fun lines.

There is some really excellent elevation out here, I think hole 11 is the huge downhill one, that is a freaking excellent hole with a fun teeshot.

Huge park, a ton of things to do here with some really massive playgrounds for kids.

Two sets of tees that actually do provide a different look, they did extremely well in this department.

The teesigns get the job done.
Cons: There is only one con, but it is kind of a big one, for me personally I felt as if a lot of these holes just sort of run together, kind of monotonous in flavor. This is why I really appreciated the letter holes because I felt as if they spiced things up quite a bit. A lot of these holes are just really open though and didn't offer a ton of variety.
Other Thoughts: This is a great course, I personally prefer something a bit more wooded but this was really fun none-the-less. If I had to just pick one course though, it would be Jack McLean because I believe that is the better balanced course.

Regardless, play this one if you have time for both, it still is a very good course and I'll play it again when I return.

My favorite course

5+    5/19/2012   6/21/2012
Review By: knightmare0101
Pros: Will require all the shots in your arsenal from the tee box--backhand, flick, distance, accuracy shot through trees, high to low, low to high, etc. Good variety of holes, from wide open to tight woods holes. The bonus six holes are played through the woods, and one time I saw three owls. Locals are very friendly and park feels extremely safe. This course is my favorite.
Cons: Sometimes gets crowded on the weekends or has tournaments.

Tallahassee has a winner

1    6/16/2012   6/18/2012
Review By: flyingdisc
Pros: -Great variety of holes
-Plenty of open and wooded areas to play
-Signs at every hole
-Benches at a lot of the holes
-Concrete Am and Pro tee pads at most holes
-Beautiful park
-Playground area for families looked well maintained
-Shaved ice vendor (day we played)
-Beginner friendly
Cons: -Couple of baskets looked aged
-Newer signs at some tee pads needed
-No maps of course that I could find
-Parking lot at hole 1 could be bigger
Other Thoughts: Finally got to play here! Drove almost two hours to come play here and Jack McLean after hearing so much about each park. I do have to say it was worth the drive. A really nice combination of interesting holes. A little something for everyone no matter what your skill level. A great course for beginners and pros alike. I really enjoyed how the course plays in and out of the woods in at least two different areas, with an average of three or four holes in each section, with open sections in between. I do believe you could try just about every shot in your arsenal here, from long bombing drives and technical shots, to rollers on a couple of holes. A beautiful park with Am and Pro tees on just about every hole. No water hazards on the day we played as it was all dried up (Florida heat). Benches at certain holes. There is a nice play area for kids, where there was even a shaved ice vendor. Park was busy the day we were there, but not enough to slow you down as the park is big enough to support all types of groups. A really nice park for all ages. There is even a RC and BMX track next to hole #2. Holes A-F are located once you reach hole 14, making the course a total of 24 holes. With elevation on both slopes, woods, open long drives and dog legs to the left and right you really can't find much here you cannot play or even enjoy. Something for everyone at this course.

Getting Better and Better

5+    3/15/2012   3/21/2012
Review By: fsunjm08
Pros: Unbelievable Variety, esp. for a course in FL, great mix of
-Uphill / Downhill
-Backhand / Sidearm
-Open / Wooded
-Short / Long

Improvements are constantly being made on this course to make it more and more interesting. A year ago they added a 600ft plus bomb of a tee shot par 4 that I look forward to every time I play. A week ago they added an elevated basket that sits 8 feet off the ground.

Beautiful Park and Friendly Locals

Multiple Pins and Pads to make for a fun and challenging course for all skill sets
Cons: They are working on getting better signage out there because right now it is not the best.
Other Thoughts: Really picky disc golfers need to stop whining about the par 3.5s on this course and throw a good tee shot. The hilliest disc golf course in Florida

Strenuous Round for Florida

1    11/17/2011   2/28/2012
Review By: ZMan44
Pros: Tom Brown Park has 24 fairly unique holes. The additional 6 holes blended in with the rest of the course very well. The design loops back to the parking area after 9 holes.

There are some wooded holes that are definitely challenging, though most of the course is open.

This course used elevation better than any other course in Florida that I have played. Usually, there is not much elevation available for use, but there is at Tom Brown Park, and the designers used it well.

There are plenty of trees to provide shade, but it can still get rather hot.
Cons: Occasionally it was very difficult to see the pin from the basket, or to identify the ideal line. Hole 1 stands out. I remember throwing my drive and then looking for the basket. After finding the basket, I thought "how the heck do you get over there?" I honestly took a fairway driver and threw it low to the ground as hard as I could from about 80 feet out. It cut through the underbrush and made it safely to about 10 feet...though this should not be the ideal path.

There are a couple of holes that are in the open areas where multiple baskets are visible from the tee. If you've never played there, you kind of have to scout them out because it's easy to pick the wrong one. Contacting a guide would be helpful.

For a park that didn't seem to have a whole lot of other things going on, there were a number of non-disc golfers. Maybe many folks use it for walking. There was one young couple having a picnic in the middle of a fairway on the back 9. Another young lady was reading a book within 30 feet of the basket on a back 9 hole. The lady moved, but the couple refused so we just threw over them...they were only about 200 feet away so we cleared them pretty easily.
Other Thoughts: Wind plays a major factor at this course. In the open areas, gusty winds can make it difficult. This is neither a Pro nor a Con given that it is an element of the game.

When I see "moderately hilly" for a Floridian course, I don't get too worries...but this round was a workout. There is some significant elevation change on the holes and traversing hillsides can wear you out quickly, especially in the Floridian heat. My suggestion is to down size your bag. You don't need 20+ discs to play this course well, and lugging that many around will affect you here. I played with my fully loaded Lat64 Pro Bag...and boy did I regret it. My calves were on fire.

Try to stop and refuel after 9 holes. You will probably feel fine, but the extra 6 holes are on the backside, and that part of the course has the most hills. In essence, you won't be back to the car for 15 holes, which is almost a regular course. Be prepared, it gets hot and the hike is much more strenuous.

Tom Brown Park is an above average course. It has some solid design elements. I didn't really get a feeling of repetition, even though the course is mostly open. It doesn't really have that "wow" factor or couple of amazing holes that would push it to "excellent" status, but it is a really solid course. I am an FSU student studying online and had the opportunity to play while I was in town for a scholarship dinner. I got there early in order to play some disc golf, and was not disappointed. This is a good spot, and worth checking out if you are in the area.

TBP Review

5+    9/3/2011   9/5/2011
Review By: scottgopre
Pros: -This course offers a good deal of different holes to play on.
-Well maintained course.
-Free to play.
-Good for all levels of players, whether your first time playing, or seasoned pro.
-Some short holes to test CTP abilities.
-Some long holes to test your distance power.
Cons: -You might get behind a big slow group.
-Stand a chance to be searching for a disc in the woods.
-Not every hole has signage to show layout of the hole.
-Pedestrians and cyclists may stroll through during play.
Other Thoughts: Tallahasse Parks & Rec. is working on the signage problem.
The course changes from time to time to keep you on your toes (several holes have multiple pin placements).

Close to home

1    8/3/2011   8/4/2011
Review By: w8nforhim
Pros: I am visiting from Virginia, and was pleasantly surprised to play a course very similar to Bryant Park back in Richmond, VA. Playing Tom Brown, you can tell that great thought went into designing the course, with the different layouts and hole designs. This course offers a little of everything. There are a couple of monster 400+ holes that really give you an opportunity to see what your favorite driver can do. Hole #9 is particularly memorable as you tee off from the top of a hill and watch your disc soar below. The course also offers a wide variety of straight in front, dog leg left and dog leg right designs. There are also a few shorter holes to give your midrange discs a feel. The course has concrete pads for all of the holes almost every hole has a pro and Am tee pad.
Cons: The course could benefit from better signs, showing you the hole layout and possibly pointing you towards the next tee pad.
Other Thoughts: An excellent course that is worth playing again and again. I only wish it were closer to home!

Great Locals

1    6/4/2005   5/30/2011
Review By: Sandman01
Pros: I was on the road and stopped by this course on a Saturday morning and was lucky enough to play the weekly mini. A great group of friendly golfers.

Liked most of the holes as plays in a very active public park (con as well). The friendly club was more then enough to make up for any cons. Good mix of open and wooded shots with some low ceiling drives if my memories serve me right.
Cons: Active public park so have to watch out for walkers/joggers/picnics etc.

When I played the course was still being worked on and had tone baskets in the woods but were still fun to play.
Other Thoughts: Would like to come back and throw this park again to see all the improvements and hopefully be able to play the mini again. Thanks to the club for allowing me a chance to play in your mini.

In a word - FUN!

1    6/13/2010   6/13/2010
Review By: stsren
Pros: 1 - Good use of elevation changes (Baskets located uphill, downhill, on hillsides, with drop-offs just past basket or before basket)
2 - Variety of shots required (hyzer, anhyzer, turnovers, flicks, even opportunities for well executed hammer throws or thumbers)
3 - Variety of distances to throw (ranging from a paltry sub-200' hole to 400'+ holes, with majority in the 250-350 range.)
4 - Beautiful park with plenty of other activities make it great for families (great playground, bike trail, BMX track, R/C car track, athletic fields, and more)
5 - Very fun to play, due to wide open nature of most fairways.
6 - Good tee boxes (most are cement, some carpet)
7 - Decent tee signs at most holes (see cons)
8 - Park has restroom facilities (may have to walk a ways to get to them)
9 - Great course for beginners (and fun for all skill level players)
Cons: 1 - Slight lack of difficulty (some fairways are "too open")
2 - Not enough benches and garbage cans (yes, this may seem lame to some, but I like a trash can at every other hole and benches at every tee box)
3 - Tee signs do not all have correct distances (or basket locations) on them, especially the holes back in the woods.
4 - Awkward transition from hole 9-10 (across fairway of 18, I think)
Other Thoughts: I only had the opportunity to play this course once, but there's no doubt that it was really FUN to play. I had a great time, got the chance to go all out on a number of drives without fear of losing my disc, and also had the chance to throw a few technical shots. I enjoyed the more heavily wooded portion of the course, as it forced me to throw some tight lines and face some uphill and downhill conditions that I just don't get to see often, playing in central Florida.

After playing Jack McLean (another fantastic courses!), this course was a breath of fresh air!

If you are in the area, do not miss this course!

Great Variety!

1    5/20/2010   5/24/2010
Review By: CubbieBlue
Pros: Decent variation, wide open holes, tight fairway holes, short holes and a couple of long holes. Baskets were nice and there was a local who played a round with me and a friend who was very friendly and a great guide around the course, thanks Dave!
Cons: Needs a couple more longer holes, there was really only one hole I couldn't reach off the drive. The holes in the woods were great, but the holes in the open were really open and did not have much to them. The pads definitely need some work too.