Brighton, UT
Solitude Mountain Resort Share
Uploaded By: filmwalrus Hole #3 (Taken 10/2010)
Hole #3 (Timberline Drop) Tee: Steep drop with slight dogleg right.

WOW

1    7/17/2011   7/22/2011
Review By: samsung3384
Pros: I don't even know where to start. This is a very excellent course for all kinds of players. Taking the lift is the easy way to get to hole one. If the lift is closed just hike it. Its not that bad. Wide open fields with easy navigation. This course comes with amazing views of the moutains surrounding the area and that amazing fresh moutain air.
Cons: Very easy to loose a disc. Keep an eye on where your throw goes. A downside is that if the lift is closed you either come back another day or hike to the top, which is what i did.
Other Thoughts: It definitely helps to have people spotting for you. I had 3 people on the hike with me to help look and watch where my discs' went. So bring your friends!

Solitude Mtn Resort

2-4    6/25/2010   5/25/2011
Review By: JDee
This review was updated on 5/3/2012
Pros: -Your dream Mtn Course. This is what Utah is all about. I wish every Mtn resort had a course just like this one. This is absolutely beautiful! You can't go wrong taking time out of your summer to come play this course.
-Trees, animals, birds, hikers, bikers, water, and discs! You will see everything on this course. You will see all sorts of animals Deer, eagles, squirrels, sasquatch etc... Watch for hikers and bikers. They are not in the way at all, but sometimes you might want to wait til they pass before you throw. Because this is a wooded forest you may lose a disc. But you will also find one or two or four as well.
-Lot's of challenge from uphill to downhill on 18, this course is soooo fun. There is even one hole that the best way to get it through is to hammer toss over the trees and it drops right by the basket. (maybe 13 not sure)
-Bring water and snacks. This is also a day hike.
Cons: -Depending on the winters in Utah, this course may only be available June - September. So make time to go play.
-Very few cons on this course except probably the hike to hole 1 if the tram isn't running, or the tram itself is never fun to pay. However, it is only $6. See below how we worked around the hike, and the tram.
-Can be cool in early summer or late fall, bring a sweater.
Other Thoughts: I give this course a 4 and it is probably more then that to most people. I like to give a tough review though, therefore would have to be pretty spectacular to get a better then 4 rating in my book. This course is pristine! Hard course, big challenge, but so so beautiful and fun!
-Here is what we do so we don't have to hike straight up the mountain side or have to pay $6 for the tram. We take 2 cars up the canyon. Park one car at solitude and all get in the other car and head up to Brighton resort. Park there walk around the right side of the lake about a quarter of the way, then hike in towards solitude and you pop out at hole one. This is not a hike, it's a day walk through. Better then the hike straight up! Then when you finish your round, go pick up your other car. Easy, quick, free!
Most importantly, have fun. This is a fairly difficult course so if you are new, don't get frustrated. Just make sure you have extra discs. :-)

Excited for the snow to melt so I can get up to Solitude this year 2012!! Anyone know when the snow will be gone??

Solitude

1    7/9/2010   8/19/2010
Review By: Forrest
Pros: Great mountain course. Taking the lift gives you a beautiful view and then the hike down the course shows you the rest. The course is well maintained and challenging. All markers are up and the tee pads are in good shape. Hole 18 will blow you away and you will definitely want to throw more than one disc when you can visually appreciate the distance.
Cons: Be ready to hike. Five of us went and only took one bottle of water (not smart) and we were all wearing tennis shoes. I would recommend some shoes with traction and take lots of water. The course will take around 4-5 hours if you're in a group.
Other Thoughts: Best course I've been to in Utah. I can't wait to go back before the winter.

Want to see a disc go 1200 feet?

5+    7/9/2010   7/13/2010
Review By: Valktastic
This review was updated on 7/29/2010
Pros: - Views, atmosphere, and scenery (it is an amazing hike that happens to have a disc golf course!!!!!)
- Elevation changes
- Big, well maintained tee pads
- Easy to navigate, here is a link to a Map
And here is a link to hole descriptions
- Great use of natural obstacles
- Alternate basket placements
- People and Solitude staff are very friendly
- Course design forces a variety of throws
- Hole 18 is a great experience, last time we didn't have anyone behind us so we threw a bunch of discs off the 1200' drop. It is amazing!!
Cons: - High brush and trees sometimes eat discs, but we typically use a spotter on most holes and have no problems.
- The lift only operates certain days and times, here is a link to the Lift Schedule
- Closed when there is snow
Other Thoughts: Take water and wear good shoes. Not really little kid or beginner friendly. Beginners will spend a lot of time searching for discs. You can get a scorecard and map where you buy your lift ticket by the parking lot. Here is a link for a really good Scorecard

$6 for the lift ticket is worth it and much more reasonable than the Canyons Resort charging $15. You can play both courses in a day by driving over the top of the mountain to Park City. This makes for a great day of mountain disc golf.

If you are in Salt Lake and can only play one course then cruise up the canyon and play Solitude. Not many places in the US can offer such an awesome location for disc golf.

THE BEST MOUNTAIN COURSE!

5+    7/3/2010   7/11/2010
Review By: ryan ranes
Pros: awsome awsome course with downhill holes that are 400 feet and u can throw a putter on and look like a big time thrower the best part is hole 18 is the funnest hole and the furthest hole i have ever played
Cons: bring lunch and food its 6 dollars for a lift ticket al the restraunts at sloitude are way overpriced and u can and u will lose discs
Other Thoughts: when ur done come play creekside
there is a lost and found for discs at solitude

Solitude, the best Utah has to offer

1    6/13/2009   10/4/2009
Review By: NothinButChing
Pros: The course is on a ski resort during the summer hours, and includes everything that you think comes with that.

Mixture of downhill and uphill shots. Holes are challenging enough for pros and offer a lot to learn for beginners.

Easy to navigate thru course, dont remember getting lost, and we went late enough into the summer that paths were already formed from previous discers which was convenience.

Cons: Lost discs can take up some of your time up on the hill, be prepared to look for some discs! Bring something to knock discs out of trees, there are some tall SOBs on this course.
Other Thoughts: Be ready for a day of hiking and disc! As long as you are prepared to be up on the mountain for a couple of hours you'll enjoy every minute. Bring food and water too.

Lift ticket worth it!

Remember 1 ft. downhill is equivilant to 10 ft. when throwing a disc ;)

Solitude

1    7/30/2009   7/31/2009
Review By: successwarrior
Pros: The atmosphere is wonderful. We went on a Thursday when the lift wasn't running. We had to hike up but we had the whole course to ourselves. It was fantastic. We had hawks screeching to each other on the way up and tons of chipmunks and prairie dogs running around checking us out.

The severe elevations changes (down or especially up) really changed the game. A disk thrown too high went severely off-track and a disk thrown too low was a wasted opportunity. With baskets of 500+ feet, you really had to figure in the fade on your disk and try to find a way to navigate the distance, elevation, and trees (all at the same time on some baskets).
Cons: Like so many have mentioned before, the tall grass and trees can make it hard to find a disk even when it's well thrown.

We hiked up and I wouldn't really recommend that. I don't regret it but the next time I play Solitude, I'm going to ride the ski lift. I want to spend my energy throwing disks, not hiking straight up a ski run.
Other Thoughts: We wore hiking boots/shoes and I would recommend the same, even if you are riding the ski lift. Some of the descents are steep and there are plenty of holes, branches, and loose rock.

You'll also want to bring water or a sports drink. It took us about 3 hours to hike to the top and play down.

Amazing,,,

1    7/5/2009   7/13/2009
Review By: Bohica1010
Pros: Amazing scenery! Massive changes in elevation and distances. Technical enough to challenge a good thrower, and yet still fun for someone just starting. More trees than you can shake a stick at (bad joke, I know)!
Cons: Fairways are 1 to 2 feet of vegitation, which makes it tough to find your discs, even on great shots. If you are new, it is a hike and can take it out of you. Being up in the mountains, you don't notice how drained you really are.
Other Thoughts: It was packed because it was a weekend, but it moved pretty well. The $6 to take the lift up is worth it (keep your bag zipped or you might lose your stuff).

The Monster

1    7/1/2009   7/3/2009
Review By: TalbotTrojan
This review was updated on 7/13/2009
Pros: This is a great course set in an amazing setting at Solitude. The views are spectacular and the course itself will eat you alive. There are great tee signs and the information posted around the course is good. The design of the course is amazing and takes full advantage of the terrain. The baskets and tee pads are in great condition and for the standard 18 it is super easy to navigate the course. There is a lost and found at the welcome center, where they also sell snacks and discs. Every tee has a palce to sit and a few have picnic tables.
Cons: The course does play accross some hiking trails but with the number of people there it should not be much of an issue. Even when you see where a disc lands you may be searching forever for the disc. The course starts at the top of one of the lifts so you have to pay to get up or hike. I never saw anything pointing me to the temporary 9 holes that makes this a 27 hole course. It will take you forever to play this course, mostly because of time spent looking for discs.
Other Thoughts: This was a great experience but a very frustrating one as I spent so much time looking for my discs and so little time playing. I lost three discs, one on hole 18 and two on hole 6, all of which I would like to get back. I also found three discs, all of which I turned in to the lost and found so lost discs is defiantely a problem here. At the end of play I felt beat up, yet at the same time I knew that it was a great experience. Everyone should know that you can play this course when the lift is not running. It is about a 45 minute hike straight up underneath the chair to get to the top. Just remember that you are hiking back down as well.

PACK A LUNCH!

1    7/15/2003   5/14/2009
Review By: Scott Van Dyke
Pros: Scenery. I've never experienced views like this before. You are literally in the middle of the mountains with no signs of civilization. This course will occupy most of your day. This is a must play. Bring water instead of beer however. This philosophy is completely new to me.
Cons: No cell phone coverage. You will basically be detached from the outside world for 3-4 hours.
Other Thoughts: While visiting family here in SLC, I asked my brothers-in-law to join me in a round of disc at a place called Solitude. Told the wife I'd be back in a couple of hours. Well, it was over four hours of play time with these guys, as they'd never played before. This course is like no other that I know of...