Brighton, UT
Solitude Mountain Resort Share
Uploaded By: filmwalrus Hole #6 (Taken 10/2010)
Hole 6 (Southstar/Northstar) Tee: Basket is behind the patch of tall pines in the center of the photo.

Pretty, but painful

1    8/14/2011   8/18/2011
Review By: mrbigtoughguychris
Pros: Beautiful setting, clean air, not overly busy, long course (plan for 3 hrs or so).
Very Challenging.
Trees are easy to climb to retrieve your disks.
Cons: Bring your mosquito repellant, it will make the game 100% more fun when you not being eaten by the swarm of helicopter sized blood suckers.
In the summer the foliage is knee to waist deep and because of the intense down hills and up hills you are VERY likely to be looking for your disk for an extended period of time, if you don't lose it all together (we lost 2).
A very bright pink or orange disk of solid color is almost a must here. Everything else blends into the flowers or grass or weeds.
Course is really rough on your disks, I lost some chunks out of mine for sure.
Other Thoughts: Chairlift was $7 this year and I don't think you would really want to make the walk. The course is about 2 miles long on steep trails, up and down.
We fortunately met some very nice folks up there that were willing to share some of their Off with us, but up to that point it was miserable. I had 5 bites on my head, a couple on my neck and one on each limb. And that was in the first 3 holes.
This is not a very good beginner's course, it can be very frustrating and is somewhat strenuous walking up and down the mountain. I would not bring my girlfriend on her first outing, unless you want to permanently ensure she will never play again.
Wear good shoes and long pants, searching for your disk in the brush can really scratch you up.
I know I have complained a lot, but this is a truly great course, it is extremely challenging. Holes are very long, but still parable. Bring extra disks.
I shot 10+ (ouch), afterwards we went to the University Course and shot the front 9 twice, just to rebuild our crushed egos (we both shot par for 18 there).
A guy who goes to this course frequently said early summer/late spring, just after the snow melts is the best time to come, before the plants take over.
Definitely worth a shot.

1    8/15/2011   8/17/2011
Review By: freerider156
Pros: This was my first time playing this course and I never want to play anywhere else in Salt Lake again! All other courses i play will now be compared to Solitude, and I doubt they will match up to it's quality.

One of my favorite things about the Solitude course is it's location! Nestled into the most beautiful canyon in the Salt Lake Valley, it combines two of my favorite activities; hiking and...disc golfing! The course layout is superb, forcing throws of all kinds. Keep a close eye on where your disc falls and you shouldn't have too much trouble finding it. I'm a rookie player and, although I lobbed my disc into oblivion once or twice on my first run at the course (mainly because of the transition to steep downhill throwing), I didn't lose a single disc.

Another thing I really enjoyed is that, being a mountain course, which is not as easily accessed as say the Creekside course in the valley, you won't see a lot of disrespectful, drunken idiots on this course that taint your disc golfing experience (one of the biggest cons about Creekside). The other groups I saw up there were much more friendly and willing to share the course.

All in all, a well maintained, interesting, exciting, and fun-filled experience. Bring plenty of water, especially if you plan on hiking to the first teebox.
Cons: The only thing I can say that might be a negative is the time you could potentially spend searching for your disc. Judging distance/wind speed when throwing downhill is much more difficult than when throwing on flat terrain. Therefore, your disc may bolt out of the fairway a few times, making it very hard to find in the tall thick vegetation.
Other Thoughts: Go play this course!!...unless you are still learning how to throw, in which case you should probably start off at the U course (about ten times less difficult).

1    7/17/2011   7/22/2011
Review By: samsung3384
Pros: I don't even know where to start. This is a very excellent course for all kinds of players. Taking the lift is the easy way to get to hole one. If the lift is closed just hike it. Its not that bad. Wide open fields with easy navigation. This course comes with amazing views of the moutains surrounding the area and that amazing fresh moutain air.
Cons: Very easy to loose a disc. Keep an eye on where your throw goes. A downside is that if the lift is closed you either come back another day or hike to the top, which is what i did.
Other Thoughts: It definitely helps to have people spotting for you. I had 3 people on the hike with me to help look and watch where my discs' went. So bring your friends!

Solitude Mtn Resort

2-4    6/25/2010   5/25/2011
Review By: JDee
This review was updated on 5/3/2012
Pros: -Your dream Mtn Course. This is what Utah is all about. I wish every Mtn resort had a course just like this one. This is absolutely beautiful! You can't go wrong taking time out of your summer to come play this course.
-Trees, animals, birds, hikers, bikers, water, and discs! You will see everything on this course. You will see all sorts of animals Deer, eagles, squirrels, sasquatch etc... Watch for hikers and bikers. They are not in the way at all, but sometimes you might want to wait til they pass before you throw. Because this is a wooded forest you may lose a disc. But you will also find one or two or four as well.
-Lot's of challenge from uphill to downhill on 18, this course is soooo fun. There is even one hole that the best way to get it through is to hammer toss over the trees and it drops right by the basket. (maybe 13 not sure)
-Bring water and snacks. This is also a day hike.
Cons: -Depending on the winters in Utah, this course may only be available June - September. So make time to go play.
-Very few cons on this course except probably the hike to hole 1 if the tram isn't running, or the tram itself is never fun to pay. However, it is only $6. See below how we worked around the hike, and the tram.
-Can be cool in early summer or late fall, bring a sweater.
Other Thoughts: I give this course a 4 and it is probably more then that to most people. I like to give a tough review though, therefore would have to be pretty spectacular to get a better then 4 rating in my book. This course is pristine! Hard course, big challenge, but so so beautiful and fun!
-Here is what we do so we don't have to hike straight up the mountain side or have to pay $6 for the tram. We take 2 cars up the canyon. Park one car at solitude and all get in the other car and head up to Brighton resort. Park there walk around the right side of the lake about a quarter of the way, then hike in towards solitude and you pop out at hole one. This is not a hike, it's a day walk through. Better then the hike straight up! Then when you finish your round, go pick up your other car. Easy, quick, free!
Most importantly, have fun. This is a fairly difficult course so if you are new, don't get frustrated. Just make sure you have extra discs. :-)

Excited for the snow to melt so I can get up to Solitude this year 2012!! Anyone know when the snow will be gone??

1    7/9/2010   8/19/2010
Review By: Forrest
Pros: Great mountain course. Taking the lift gives you a beautiful view and then the hike down the course shows you the rest. The course is well maintained and challenging. All markers are up and the tee pads are in good shape. Hole 18 will blow you away and you will definitely want to throw more than one disc when you can visually appreciate the distance.
Cons: Be ready to hike. Five of us went and only took one bottle of water (not smart) and we were all wearing tennis shoes. I would recommend some shoes with traction and take lots of water. The course will take around 4-5 hours if you're in a group.
Other Thoughts: Best course I've been to in Utah. I can't wait to go back before the winter.

Want to see a disc go 1200 feet?

5+    7/9/2010   7/13/2010
Review By: Valktastic
This review was updated on 7/29/2010
Pros: - Views, atmosphere, and scenery (it is an amazing hike that happens to have a disc golf course!!!!!)
- Elevation changes
- Big, well maintained tee pads
- Easy to navigate, here is a link to a Map
And here is a link to hole descriptions
- Great use of natural obstacles
- Alternate basket placements
- People and Solitude staff are very friendly
- Course design forces a variety of throws
- Hole 18 is a great experience, last time we didn't have anyone behind us so we threw a bunch of discs off the 1200' drop. It is amazing!!
Cons: - High brush and trees sometimes eat discs, but we typically use a spotter on most holes and have no problems.
- The lift only operates certain days and times, here is a link to the Lift Schedule
- Closed when there is snow
Other Thoughts: Take water and wear good shoes. Not really little kid or beginner friendly. Beginners will spend a lot of time searching for discs. You can get a scorecard and map where you buy your lift ticket by the parking lot. Here is a link for a really good Scorecard

$6 for the lift ticket is worth it and much more reasonable than the Canyons Resort charging $15. You can play both courses in a day by driving over the top of the mountain to Park City. This makes for a great day of mountain disc golf.

If you are in Salt Lake and can only play one course then cruise up the canyon and play Solitude. Not many places in the US can offer such an awesome location for disc golf.

5+    7/3/2010   7/11/2010
Review By: ryan ranes
Pros: awsome awsome course with downhill holes that are 400 feet and u can throw a putter on and look like a big time thrower the best part is hole 18 is the funnest hole and the furthest hole i have ever played
Cons: bring lunch and food its 6 dollars for a lift ticket al the restraunts at sloitude are way overpriced and u can and u will lose discs
Other Thoughts: when ur done come play creekside
there is a lost and found for discs at solitude

Solitude, the best Utah has to offer

1    6/13/2009   10/4/2009
Review By: NothinButChing
Pros: The course is on a ski resort during the summer hours, and includes everything that you think comes with that.

Mixture of downhill and uphill shots. Holes are challenging enough for pros and offer a lot to learn for beginners.

Easy to navigate thru course, dont remember getting lost, and we went late enough into the summer that paths were already formed from previous discers which was convenience.

Cons: Lost discs can take up some of your time up on the hill, be prepared to look for some discs! Bring something to knock discs out of trees, there are some tall SOBs on this course.
Other Thoughts: Be ready for a day of hiking and disc! As long as you are prepared to be up on the mountain for a couple of hours you'll enjoy every minute. Bring food and water too.

Lift ticket worth it!

Remember 1 ft. downhill is equivilant to 10 ft. when throwing a disc ;)

1    7/30/2009   7/31/2009
Review By: successwarrior
Pros: The atmosphere is wonderful. We went on a Thursday when the lift wasn't running. We had to hike up but we had the whole course to ourselves. It was fantastic. We had hawks screeching to each other on the way up and tons of chipmunks and prairie dogs running around checking us out.

The severe elevations changes (down or especially up) really changed the game. A disk thrown too high went severely off-track and a disk thrown too low was a wasted opportunity. With baskets of 500+ feet, you really had to figure in the fade on your disk and try to find a way to navigate the distance, elevation, and trees (all at the same time on some baskets).
Cons: Like so many have mentioned before, the tall grass and trees can make it hard to find a disk even when it's well thrown.

We hiked up and I wouldn't really recommend that. I don't regret it but the next time I play Solitude, I'm going to ride the ski lift. I want to spend my energy throwing disks, not hiking straight up a ski run.
Other Thoughts: We wore hiking boots/shoes and I would recommend the same, even if you are riding the ski lift. Some of the descents are steep and there are plenty of holes, branches, and loose rock.

You'll also want to bring water or a sports drink. It took us about 3 hours to hike to the top and play down.

1    7/5/2009   7/13/2009
Review By: Bohica1010
Pros: Amazing scenery! Massive changes in elevation and distances. Technical enough to challenge a good thrower, and yet still fun for someone just starting. More trees than you can shake a stick at (bad joke, I know)!
Cons: Fairways are 1 to 2 feet of vegitation, which makes it tough to find your discs, even on great shots. If you are new, it is a hike and can take it out of you. Being up in the mountains, you don't notice how drained you really are.
Other Thoughts: It was packed because it was a weekend, but it moved pretty well. The $6 to take the lift up is worth it (keep your bag zipped or you might lose your stuff).