Course Extinct

< Prev 1 2 3
 A real Gem

2-4    11/14/2009   11/19/2010
Review By: coyotepower
Pros: Urban DG! Great variety of holes. Nice folks around town, awesome vibes. Some elevation change, some water - but not too much! Love it!
Cons: Few if any - trash/litter was there but thats everywhere. Pack out what you pack in people!
Other Thoughts: A shining example of how DG can integrate with current surroundings. This park has been there for far longer than DG has but yet DG gives it the love it deserves. Synergy!

Way too much fan

1    6/15/2010   9/14/2010
Review By: Chain_Smoker
Pros: -Beautiful Course
-Very Good Variety of Shots
-Shaded

I have to say that this is probably one of the best courses around. This is exactly what you would expect when you hear someone say that. It's a great course, covered in trees, which is good considering you'll be walking quite a bit. It's got some WIDE open holes where you can just let it rip and it's got some really technical holes for the strategic and accurate players. Definitely one of my favorites.
Cons: -Long
-Difficult Disc Locating
-Semi-Difficult Navigation

The cons in this course are really determined by the player and their expertise. For instance, this is a very long course and on a hot day you are definitely going to feel it afterward. For those that deal with the heat regularly without issue, this shouldn't be a concern. As I mentioned above, it is still pretty shaded. On some of the holes, especially #3 or #4, you will be throwing into a mix of terrains from creeks, hills, rocks, etc. It can be difficult location your disc on some of these holes IF you don't throw accurately. Just like most, I have the occasional throws that soar off in the wrong direction. As a beginner, this course was difficult for me but I never lost a disc. I was out with a group of about 8 people and only 2 people lost discs simply because they tried some extreme throw that distanced them far from where they needed to be. Most of the holes are pretty easy to see where your disc lands but there's just a certain few that aren't. Finally, the navigation of the course is a little difficult but pretty simple for the most part. If it were me, I'd find a friend that's played there before to help navigate and instruct on where to throw in some spots.
Other Thoughts: Like I said, this is one of my favorite courses and last I heard they were actually thinking about shutting it down. I hope that's not the case, I'd hope to be playing there for a long time to come.

Please save Pease!

5+    6/27/2010   7/8/2010
Review By: dreadlock86
Pros: This gem of a course is located in an awesome park in the Shoal Creek Greenbelt right near downtown Austin. The course meanders around the creek and through the oaks and cedars that dot the hillside.

The course has a great flow through the park. The 1st tee and 18th basket are right next to the parking lot, along with a practice basket as well. There are only a few navigational trouble spots but the signage is excellent so it shouldn't really be a problem. Great Houck signs with distances, map, and arrow to next tee (#13 missing) and Mach 3 baskets in decent shape.

Austin being the door to the hill country, there are a couple great elevation changes and much hilly terrain. Throw downhill to a basket near a small cliff with the stream below on #9. #11-15 play through a nice wooded area. Throw across the creek on #3, #11, and #15. The water comes into play on around 5 holes, maybe more if you have some real bad shots. There are many challenging holes here with a wide variety of distances and multiple pin placements. There are a variety of shots: some are tight windows through the trees, some are wide open bombers; but it mostly favors RHBH.
Cons: The course shares the park with walkers and bikers using the trails and there are often people hanging around (including bums under the bridge between #6 & 7).

The parking lot is very small for such a popular course, and you're sharing it with the other park users.

I am not usually not bothered by dirt tee pads and the ones here aren't that bad but it is a heavily used course. Some are in poor shape.

It is not obvious where to go after #11, 14, or 17. Follow the paths and remember to look at the maps on the previous hole's sign.
Other Thoughts: This is a beautiful and challenging course and I have a blast every time I play here. At 22 years old, it is a shame that this jewel is going to be removed by the city. The course will be removed this year as part of the Lower Shoal Creek Channel Stabilization Project and as of now there are no plans to reinstall it at a later date. (More info here: http://www.facebook.com/#!/pa...fo&ref=ts)

Hopefully, Austin disc golfers will take it upon themselves to do what they can to save the course. It seems that putting together a report with recommendations on an ecologically sustainable course plan is necessary.

This is a fantastic course with a lot of history. Get here while you still can and have the opportunity to play this fine course before it is gone. Time to plan those trips!

**Like this review? Hate it? Message me and let me know why! I want to make them better!**

Pease Please!

5+    7/3/2010   7/6/2010
Review By: blake918
Pros: very challenging with orgionality, some long open holes to use your arm but shot tight holes theres something for everyone here.
Cons: dirt pads are really worn down can be easily over looked, just tee off to the side thae hole doesnt change this way. trash but city doesn't maintain course so locals do a cleanup.
Other Thoughts: this course cdan give you some of the best rounds, it definatly will be missed

Bring all your shots

2-4    12/31/2009   12/31/2009
Review By: vince
Pros: Well rounded; you'll need a deep bag of tricks to put up a good score. In town. Uses the water on some holes.
Cons: dirt tees. a few janky baskets.
Other Thoughts: I love Pease more and more every time I play it. You'll need you side arm, roller, tomahawk, thumber, floater and everything else...creative shots make for a fun day.

An Old Favorite

1    11/24/2009   11/24/2009
Review By: austoroc
Pros: A lot of variety in your shot-making decisions will be required. This makes for a challenging and fun round. All types of shots can be used here.

In my opinion, few of the best holes on the course is #5, #9, #11, and #14.
Pease Park is one of the more enjoyable course to play on and I still love the fact that it's right in the city.
Cons: The baskets. After playing at other courses with new baskets, I found Pease's old baskets to be a bit unpleasant. They have a tendency to spit discs out a bit too easily for my taste.

I still think the #6 hole is a bit too close to the road. That's my least favorite hole even though it's very short.

All of you locals should have Pease Park as your #1 course to take your out-of-town visitors.
Other Thoughts: When I played this course, it's been several months since my last round, and #6 basket is finally back in play.

If you showcase this course to your guests, then you should take them to Gingerman for a pint or two, or perhaps the Flying Saucer afterward.

A creek runs through it!

2-4    10/22/2009   10/25/2009
Review By: sub ceroh
Pros: Tees are clearly marked and im a big fan of water shots and I love the creek that comes into play on several holes.Good elevation changes and trees in play.I enjoyed the scenery of Austin in the back ground. Multiple baskets for each hole made for a fun game. Great course and I will play again when in the Austin area!
Cons: No Concrete pads but I really don't think that is a con due to the fact that the course was so enjoyable. There where a few tree limbs down and some time of construction going on. It is possible to get lost or loose your way so bring a map.
Homeless guy under the bridge followed me till I finally gave him a cigarette.
Other Thoughts: If you are in Austin this course is a must!!!

Great in the winter

1    6/24/2009   10/6/2009
Review By: chalos13
Pros: great layout. I'm an average player, not awesome, and none of these holes felt impossible. I wasn't at par, but I never got the feeling that the hole was poorly laid out.
Cons: Played in june. i had to stop after nine, could not stand the heat. going back in the winter for sure.
Other Thoughts: someone else said this, but watch out for the homeless guys under the bridge. the creek isn't really deep, but looked like it might give you some kinda disease if you had to get in it.

Excellent course

5+    7/16/2009   7/17/2009
Review By: Buzz
Pros: This course was the first course I ever played and it is hard! Although I have now played this course countless times, I feel I always have room to improve here. There is a ton of variety with the holes. Each hole can be tackled using a bunch of different techniques, be it a Scooby, hammer, flick, etc.... Every round here shows as my friend put it " even though there is more air than tree...you are going to hit the tree!"
Cons: Hole number 11.
Other Thoughts: With Concrete Tee Boxes this course would be a 5 for sure!

Pease Park

1    7/7/2009   7/7/2009
Review By: sgb118
Pros: This course is really well designed, and is a really enjoyable round of disc golf. I went in the hottest part of the day, so there was no trouble with any other golfers or park-goers. Tee signs are the best, Houck design. The course is laid out winding around the creek that meanders through the park, and a few holes give you a small window to fly the creek to the basket on the other side. Every hole offers something new and fun; one thing I particularly liked about Pease was that it made me use shots I am less comfortable with. This was nice because I don't see how you could lose any discs out there, so you can throw those shots, and not have to worry about a potential mess-up. There were some really fun elevation holes that were nicely wooded, and there were also a couple of flat, open holes. Lots of shade made it a pleasant round, even in the heat of the day. All around great course...A must play in the Austin area.
Cons: Tee pads were heavily worn, and many had pretty good sized holes forming in them. You have to tee of next to some of them... All of the holes are fun, but it is a difficult course at times, and some newer players will take a while on them, luckily they all let me play through them today.

Unfortunately some jerk broke the sign on #13, so it is the only hole without a sign.

This isn't a course con, but take plenty of water... I ran out fast in the heat of July.
Other Thoughts: Wonderfully laid out course for the narrow strip of land the park is on in downtown Austin. I will definately play it again in the future.

< Prev 1 2 3