Course Extinct
Hole 10 Sign

Please no more Pease

2-4    4/24/2009   5/21/2009
Review By: sam_puck
Pros: Beautiful park. Relaxing walk. Baskets in decent shape. Practice basket.
Cons: Tee boxes gravel and rough at times. Kinda confusing layout and missing a basket. They have changed it up since last time I played, which was a few years ago. Lots of people and dogs on a few shots. Water likes to reach up and suck my discs in. Always has!
Other Thoughts: This course has always ate my lunch and this time it did as well. I no longer enjoy this course, now that I have found others like the course in Manor.

liked it

2-4    4/18/2009   4/27/2009
Review By: RRDiscgolfer
This review was updated on 6/8/2010
Pros: really loved this course. there is 1 hole, 6, that is missing, so you have to walk past it but it gives time to talk disc golf and view the scenery. LIke the mandatory lefts and rights on some holes, make for some interesting holes. there is a creek that runs through it and makes you either lay up or get out your cannon and go for it.
Cons: no real cons, truly a great course
Other Thoughts: would be nice if they had concrete tee boxes, other than that, great course.

One of my favorites

2-4    4/12/1999   4/12/2009
Review By: tmahan
Pros: Previous reviewers have already done a great job describing this wonderful course, but I just have to get my chops in. I have a weakness for well done downtown parks and this certainly is one. Lots on interesting looks playing along side and across the creek. A couple shots tee from the street to add some elevation but you have to be careful to tuck your shot in under the tree canopy. One hole had the pin located almost inside of a tree trunk which added dimension to an otherwise short hole. The cliff shot and a couple of classic woods holes makes pretty diverse mix. There used to be a guy there (Moody?) that had a little Pro Shop in his van with some nice discs.
Cons: The crowds and the fact that some of plays along a walking/jogging path, but that is some times a plus too.
Other Thoughts: When i first came here many years ago Pease was described as kind of an also-ran amongst Austin's course, this is my personal favorite here.

In the heart of the city

5+    3/23/2009   4/2/2009
Review By: Dude
Pros: It's downtown. You can play a round then easily grab a drink or food at any number of places and hop back on the course for a second round.

Most courses have that one hole that everyone seems to remember as being the signature hole for the course. Pease has a bunch of those. It's just one of those courses where, when you stand on the tee pad the first time, you just say "wow. what a cool hole."

This course is amazingly designed and pretty much sums up the concept of risk/reward. The cliff hole is really the perfect example of this because if you throw a big hyzer over the side you have to take the wind into account or you'll end up down by hole 18...and have to work your way back up the cliff.

I do miss the old Capitol hole but with the new cleaned up hill holes I'm starting to come around to the new ones a bit more.

Pretty much every hole has a number of different pin placements so you can go throughout the year and there will be different shots needed. This course will challenge your entire game. You'll need to watch the mandos and throw over water a few times. There's a huge cliff down the side of one of the holes and you have to be careful of the wind there. There's a good deal of elevation changes and there are plenty of holes with trees obstacles.
Cons: It's downtown and right by campus. It really isn't a beginner's course and a lot of people start here which can be a bit frustrating since they don't know to let people play through when fishing discs out of the creek or if they're playing in large groups. And since many of these newer players will throw 4-5 times per hole they might not know that many others can get there in 2-3. But if you can play early in the day instead of the post UT class crowd then you'll avoid this con 90% of the time. Just be wary of trying to get in an after work round here.

It's a park. There are sidewalks along the course and there are many people hiking, riding bikes, walking/playing with dogs, sunbathing, playing volleyball, throwing softballs, playing kickball, etc. They don't know anything about disc golf. But we just need to realize that we're ambassadors for the sport so politely tell them what's going on and most of the time they're happy to move.

If it rains the creek will flood in a hurry and it makes it extremely difficult to play for a few days because it's hard to cross the creek...which can have snakes so if your disc goes into the water or near the water keep an eye out.

Due to the traffic in the park there are long wait times to tee off on hole one...and you'll have people jumping ahead to other tees which only makes things worse. It also makes for a lot of wear and tear on the teeboxes which are always in need of repair.

Traffic. To get downtown after work you're going to spend some time waiting on Mopac or Lamar. It's just something to weigh when going here in the afternoon.
Other Thoughts: I would play this course more often if I lived closer. However, living up north and having more options in the last couple years with Wilco and Cat Hollow and now Manor and Brushy, my trips here are a lot less frequent. Great course overall but the crowds and traffic tend to make it more trouble than it's worth for me most days.

5+    3/29/2009   3/30/2009
Review By: BabyTBird
Pros: This course is very pretty, easy to follow, and is in downtown Austin. You can play a round then go shopping or grab a bite to eat without a long drive. It has nice tee signs on every hole. You can play this course despite its length and difficulty and feel like you could go right back out and play it over and over again. This course is challenging if you are new to disc golf or used to playing bland courses with limited shot selection. This course will require your A game. I have played a good majority of the courses in Texas that are worth playing and I have to say this course is the best practice course i have ever played. It has a perfect balance of hole types, you get a little bit of everything when you play this course. This course can prepare you for any Tournament you are training for. There is a water hazard and/or some kind of O.B on 80% of the holes, in my opinion that is Golf! If you shoot par on any of the pin placements you played a great round. Once you have improved your game and feel like Pease isn't as hard as it once was, try playing it with the same O.B's that are played during the Capitol Of Texas Open held each year. Also as far as wanting to improve your game, this course is a haven for talent. There are many pros and talented players that play this course frequently, you guys stuck with the same stagnant talent pools at your home courses should take a trip to Austin, to get a fresh taste of what can happen if you master your skills. Also Austin has 18 plus courses in a 45 mile radius.
Cons: Pease Park is a park, people don't know or care that they are running and/or lounging about in the middle of the nicer holes. Pease is located 4 miles from the Heart of UT campus, if the weather is nice this park will be maxed out with people. You can have up to 5 people on each hole from 12am to 4pm every day. The course is hard if you are not a skilled player, with many water hazards. Long backups waiting for people fishing discs out of the creek. Most of the students and young people come out to play just to have a place to smoke and socialize. They don't care about how to play or the etiquette of finishing the hole and moving along. They are frequently talking and standing around on holes oblivious to the people they just talked to on the previous hole that are waiting to tee. The City doesn't want to put in concrete tee's and you are left to tee in terrible boxes.
Other Thoughts: There are plenty of time slots to play this course at a good pace. You just have to figure them out, ask a local. Bring a water disc that you don't mind losing. Hole 2 plays hard with the mando. Try to be patient with the idiots that flood the course, best thing to do is bring a friend or two so you can talk or play hacky sac with while you wait between holes. It will keep you loose at least.

A Challenging, Unforgiving, and Unique Course

1    3/29/2009   3/29/2009
Review By: SpringDgLover
This review was updated on 8/4/2009
Pros: This course is the epitome of what Austin disc golf is all about. Honestly every hole is unique, multiple pin locations, beautiful park, nice scenery and some good elevation changes. All details of what makes Austin disc golf great.
Cons: I know this course gets alot of love but it is far from perfect. It is very crowded on weekends. Hole six no longer exists and there is no signage telling you this. The T-Boxes are decent but far from good. This course is very difficult at times, if you are a beginner, recreational, or amateur player prepare to get your A handed to you. There are some holes like 2 and 8 that are more about flat out luck then skill. Finally as people have said there are people who go to this park and have no idea it is a disc golf course. They will stand right in front of you forever and admire the scenery. I remember one instance where a woman was sitting right in front of a T-Box on her phone and would not move or even listen when asked to move.
Other Thoughts: This was my first time playing Pease. I live in Houston and it is rare that I get out to Austin. With that being said I had read the reviews of others who have played this course and was intrigued to see if I enjoyed it as much as they did. First of all unless you are either very good or very lucky dont expect to shoot well here the first time or even your tenth time. For someone like myself who might visit Austin once a year it really wasn't alot of fun and was more stressful than anything. Regardless of that, I trully believe you will not find a course that is more loved by the people who play it and maintain it, which says alot more than this humble reviewer's opinions. (A few months after playing this course I realized, that I enjoyed myself alot more then I thought I did. I think this course is one of the finest I have ever had the honor to have played.)

5+    2/14/2009   2/22/2009
Review By: biggio1
Pros: Beautiful, water, trees, elevation. A very tough course that is always buzzing with players. Shady with some open holes. Some of Austins best disc golf holes.
Cons: some very worn out tees. and whole six closed.
Other Thoughts: Lots of beautiful ladies and gents for the ladies. Many dogs, close to UT and just a beautiful park all around.

Austin's Signature Course

5+    1/18/2009   1/19/2009
Review By: skurf
Pros: This course is amazing in it's diversity. The entire course pretty much meanders back and forth across a creek that has a few deep spots that I'm sure have gobbled up thousands of discs by now.

To birdie Hole 2 you have to throw your disc out over the creek (the creek runs parallel with the hole) and have it come back just in time to land on solid ground. It's a tricky hole until you get the hang of it and one that I've lost many-a-disc on in my younger days.

Hole 3 then goes across this creek and is one of the more likely holes to receive an ace (for a right hander) as it bends naturally to the left.

Hole 4 runs parallel with the creek, but this time you're on the right hand side of it and there's a low hanging oak tree about half-way down the fairway which means you can do a big right bending shot around it and out over the creek or you can try to line drive it under the tree.

A few holes down is Hole 9, which has a large cliff on the right hand side, but again, to get max distance on your shot you have to throw out over the cliff and have your disc come back at the end of its flight.

The rest of the holes go through woods, open fields, down hills, and across the creek a couple more times, making for the most diverse, and most excellent course I've ever played.

Hole

Cons: Unfortunately, they reversed 3 of the holes (12-14) which took out the best view of any course in Austin. On hole 13 (only par 4 on the course), when you're about 3/4 done, look back and you will have a stunning view of the Capitol.

This course is laid out the best I can possibly imagine for being in such a narrow park, but there are still some design flaws that will have you ducking your head to incoming discs. Just yesterday as I was at tee 10, 3 discs landed within a few feet of me from errant tee drives of hole 9.

Other than that, the tee boxes are really rough and many times I will tee off next to the box because of how rough it is.
Other Thoughts: Wouldn't recommend playing this course unless you have a little experience under your belt. Otherwise it may turn into a fishing trip rather than a disc golf outing.

Eeyeore’s Turf

1    12/17/2007   1/9/2009
Review By: DGtourist
Pros: Pease Park is one of the most fun courses I have played. I have it listed in my favorites. Right off the bat, my first impression of Pease Park is that disc golf is popular in Austin Texas because I had to wait awhile to get on the tee. The next stand out, is the park signs, take a look at the pictures, it's the famous Houck Design signs, top quality, if I'm ever lucky enough to put a course in the ground, its getting Houck Design signs! There does seem to be a few problem areas here and there that a person could get lost, but I had no problem following along the course because I was just following the herd. Seriously, Austin has an awesome disc golf scene. Plus, the tee sings tell you everything, you just have to remember to look and remember which direction the next tee arrow was pointing.

I wouldn't call the course hard. Its creative, yet open enough to be fun. There are different challenges on each hole. I feel like a wide variety of skill levels would have fun here. Some of the memorable things to me at Pease are; a creek to go fishing for discs in, a slightly elevated and tree guarded basket, disc eating cedar trees and the famous capital hole which has a direct view to the capital dome from the basket. I remember a cliff that I was told not to throw into and promptly did. I snapped one out into Larmar Blvd. too, yes I consider that a pro, it was scary and fun to have traffic as an obstacle. Mostly I remember how the challenges were each their own and the next hole would not be the same, it resonates in my memory like a disc golf roller coaster.
Cons: I want to give this course a 4.5 but it has dirt tee pads. It baffles me how one of the most played courses I've ever been to doesn't have concrete. There is a big long turn around at number six. Some holes are close to one another. I saw a ton of joggers but I don't remember if they were in they way. When I walked under the bridge a few homeless people playfully (I hope) razzed, "welcome to the people under the bridge!" I laughed at them but I could imagine my daughter might have gotten scared.
Other Thoughts: A month after I played Pease I wrote in my blog, "I loved my mid December time here so much that I have decided that this is the place I want to live. Not Austin, but right at the picnic tables by the 18th basket and the number one tee box."

Disc golf at Pease, for me, feelt like a celebration of the sport. A few here have mentioned how the parks proximity to the university and the fact that its in a downtown location invites undesirable golfers such as frat boys and chuckers etc. In my opinion it adds to the perception of Austin being such a disc golf accepting community. Its one of the only towns I've been to where disc golf is known, accepted and supported by nearly everyone. In my hometown I still get a lot of "Disc golf, what's that?" I have a brochure of Things to do in Austin and they even have disc golf listed. I don't think most other communities would add our beloved sport to a travel brochure.

amateur review

5+    12/14/2008   12/19/2008
Review By: jdawg2008
Pros: challenging holes that require experience and accuracy to par. for beginners and amateurs, there are paths to the basket that are accessible and will get you close to par (except for 13). austin is a great city and this is in the heart of it.

the out of bounds risks are great and teach a newbie how to control their shot.
Cons: foot traffic is a hassle, since there are those who dont realize there is a course. watch out for unleashed dogs and be prepared to let people know that you need them to control their animals. in the mornings, you might have to wake up homeless folks between holes 6 and 7.

tee pads are pathetic.
Other Thoughts: this is the course that i started playing on, and it will always have a special place in my disc golf heart. it is a challenging course that is sometimes unforgiving. there are holes that give a beginner or amateur confidence, and there are holes that remind them that they have alot of work to do.