Austin, TX
Zilker Park Share
Uploaded By: TejasKajun Hole #1 (Taken 7/2015)

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5
DG @ZilkerPark

5+    6/25/2016   6/26/2016
Review By: Davesdisc
Pros: Location = Central Austin, most folks know where ZilkerPark is but locating the #1 teebox and parking may be an issue.
Easy = Not a challenging course for intermediate to advance players.
Tee box and layout = all tee boxes have pads and have very good signage. Course is easy to follow if you pay attention.
The view of downtown Austin TX is great.
Cons: You now have to pay for $5 for parking. The lot parking meter only takes plastic and coins. The parking pass gets you all day parking up until 9:59pm.
Other Thoughts: We played this course in the spring after an overnight rainstorm and the course drained very well. Little mud on our shoes and hardly any standing water. Tee boxes and cage surrounding all were damp but not wet.

A Little Bit of Everything

1    5/14/2016   5/15/2016
Review By: jackybaby72
Pros: Beautiful course. The tee pads are great. Hole plaque on each hole, though #10 was covered by a bush. Enough trees for shade. For a beginner, most holes are short. No water holes, again for beginners. Fast course to play. Good course for beginners to start and get better. Enough of a challenge to be encouraged by a good shot, for a beginner.
Cons: For the more experienced, the course is short. No real obstacles to throw around. Did I mention the course is short? No holes to let loose a drive. The lack of distance can become boring.
Other Thoughts: There are signs to tell where everything is in the park, except the course. There is parking right by #1. The day we played it started raining by #4. We played on and had a blast. We are already planning a weekend to come back and play again. My wife was challenged. I thought the grounds were beautiful.

Great Austin Disc Golf Experience

1    3/24/2016   3/25/2016
Review By: SimonCarr
Pros: This course was a pleasant surprise based on the previous reviews that I had read.

I was unsure about the kind of topography or wooded area in this part of Texas. However, I thought this course did an excellent job of using the lay of the land to weave between trees and across fields.

- Really good mix of shots, most of which required control.
- The flow of the course worked well, with the parking in the middle.
- The location of this course was really great. I spent a lot of time in Zilker park with my family, so the location was very convenient. And the backdrop of downtown Austin is great. It made the park feel very accessible.
- Quite a few birdie opportunities to make it exciting.
- Oh, and I thought the stone benches were super awesome. They seemed to be somewhat randomly spaced, but top quality benches.
Cons: I didn't find and major cons with this course, just a few things that could be improved upon.

- Some of the baskets and teepads were placed within close proximity on the front 9.
- A lot of the short hook shots seemed to favor lefties or a sidearm shot. Not necessarily a con, but worth noting.
- The course was moderately busy around 3pm on a weekday. With that said I only had to wait on 2-3 holes during my round.
- This course was not the most challenging, but I knew that going in to it.
Other Thoughts: I somehow managed to get 4 birdies on the back 9 and none on the front 9. Not sure how that happened. The front 9 plays quite a bit shorter.

Around hole 7 I caught up with a couple local players. We talked for a bit and they let me play through the remaining holes with them. Its a good thing when you have a friendly disc golf community. I can see why the park is popular and the folks in Austin made disc golf enjoyable too.

Nice urban course

1    11/10/2015   11/10/2015
Review By: KenanFlagler01
Pros: I played Zilker while on a business trip to Austin. This was my first disc golf experience in Texas. I thought the course was average/typical, but my experience, and the fun factor, were well above average. I walked from my hotel in downtown Austin to the river walk and a system of parks with a nice hike and bike trail. The beautiful river and city views added to my experience actually playing the course. If I could rate the greenway walk plus the course, I'd give it a solid 3.5! Now, on to the course...

- Very well-maintained, especially for an urban park.
- When I say "urban park," this is a legit urban park. It's situated in a large, open, downtown park near the river. A major highway boarders one edge of the park. Skyline views from most of the course. Neat setting, minus the traffic noise on the handful of holes closest to the highway.
- The tee pads are fantastic. Very big. There's also a stone/rock border around the concrete pads, so they look really nice too. Good tee pad signs.
- Brand new baskets.
- There wasn't much variety in terms of elevation and obstacles, but there's a good mix of long and short holes, hyzer, anhyzer, and dead straight.
- No underbrush and no risk of losing a disc.
- Lots of ace run and high fun factor.
- This is a nice, open course with well-placed baskets and guardian trees. I'm used to wooded North Carolina courses, so it's a lot more open than I'm used to, but I think the course is laid out well with the existing trees, while also giving you plenty of opportunities to bomb.
Cons: - I can't overstate this: the mosquitos were out of control when I played. I was swarmed form the minute I got to the park. I played on a cool fall morning and assumed this downtown park wouldn't be a mosquito hot spot like heavily wooded courses I've played. WRONG. Those suckers attacked and tried to carry me away. Stupid move not to wear deet. Don't repeat my mistake.
- I thought this was a nice, fun course, but there aren't any memorable, standout holes. It's pretty repetitive. Decent mix of long/short, hyzer/anhyzer. But no real standouts.
- There were maybe 2-3 slight downhill holes and 1-2 slight uphill holes. Otherwise it's all flat.
- Two holes are laid out right beside the highway. I wouldn't say they're dangerous, but a newbie or an exceptionally bad player could potentially hyzer a drive right into the highway. More than anything, this part of the course is just loud. Most of the course, maybe 12-14 holes, are peaceful and quiet, but these few holes near the road are the opposite of that.
- Navigation is fairly straightforward, this being a compact, park style course, but I had a hard time finding hole 1 and then going from 9 to 10. Arrows pointing to the next hole, when it's not obvious, would be nice.
Other Thoughts: I understand there are better courses in and around Austin, but if you're downtown, this is definitely worth playing. I felt like I got a good taste of Austin.

Zilker Park has returned to its glory

5+    7/12/2015   7/13/2015
Review By: TejasKajun
Pros: + the entire course has been renovated to make defined fairways and elevation improvements that are eco-friendly for a very busy course
+ baskets are all brand new
+ distances are accurate
+ heavy duty tee boxes that give any style of thrower the room they need
+ tee signs and marker (including drop zones) are now installed
Cons: - none that can be noted at this time
Other Thoughts: The recent year long improvement and total renovation was on behalf of the Waterloo Disc Golf Club, Austin Parks and Rec Dept., Austin Watershed Protection, Disc Nation, Innova Disc Golf, Houck Design, Amazing Locksmith, Pro Serv, Austin Parks Foundation and great volunteers.

The course now has sustainability for many more years to come as it is a highly active course for all levels of players.
The kiosk will soon be getting a course map and rules/etiquette sign installed.

This course is always a gem to play because it caters to all skill levels. The front 9 holes tend to be shorter and the back 9 are longer with more challenges like mando & OB's.

If you are in Austin, this is a great casual course to experience that "Austin" feel with.

Fun Metro Course

1    12/4/2014   5/13/2015
Review By: mndiscg
Pros: +High fun factor here. There are ace runs, some quick greens, just enough obstacles.
+Course was still under construction when I played but what was done was great. Lots of erosion control and other measures being put in to make this course look and play better.
+Can't lose a disc here.
+Lots to do in this park but it didn't feel crammed at all.
+All the tees are nice. They aren't uniform but the unique ones add to the character of this course. Nothing dangerous or too small.
+Easy to navigate.
+Safe and a great place to take new players or kids.
+Lots of fun places nearby to eat, drink, and see. Austin is a cool place.
Cons: -Pay to park
-Others have said that this course gets crowded. I played on a December morning and had no issues.
-Can be Texas hot during the summer.
-Fairly short and lacking a ton of variety
Other Thoughts: +This course is a casual course. It isn't a tourney course. No real hazards.
+An easier option that should take less time than Roy G which isn't too far away. Could be used as a warm up for Roy.
+For me, this course had a high fun factor and the park had a great atmosphere. The disc golf wasn't the greatest but it was better than nothing.
+Thanks to the City of Austin for doing necessary upkeep.

Under necessary construction

5+    7/16/2014   7/17/2014
Review By: SigLane
Pros: Downtown Austin course near all of the great benefits of beautiful Zilker park. Other pros...right now... not many. You can get a margarita at one of the many amazing restaurants near by... :) Seriously though, this course is normally a lot of fun but it's half closed and under very necessary construction. It is a great course to introduce someone to disc golf. It's also a good course to practice some of your basic shots. It's not hard and the lengths of the holes don't exceed 370'. You'd have to try and lose a disc out here. No tall grass. Trees are pretty tall so unless you are throwing super high shots, which are unnecessary, the majority of the holes force you to shoot under the trees. I like this course as a relaxed change of pace from the crowded Marie Moore or the difficult and long Guerrero or Circle C courses. I more often than not play championship courses but this is the perfect course for a relaxed round with friends who may be new to the sport.
Cons: Front 9 (which are the best holes) are closed for construction. Apparently the city plans on shutting all 18 down in a couple of weeks. Terrible erosion issues. According to parks and rec a decent amount of money ($40k) is going to be spent to get this course in good shape again. Looks like it'll be a heck of a project though. The back 9 have no hole markers. You have to follow groups in front of you to make sure you follow the course flow because it's not exactly obvious. Tee boxes are covered in eroded soil.
Other Thoughts: We'll see how it looks and plays in the fall when construction and erosion management have been completed. I'll put together an updated review then. For now, I hate saying this because this course does hold a special place in my heart, you'd be better off going a bit further south to Marie Moore (when looking for an introductory/ intermediate course).

Decent design but outdated (North 9)

2-4    6/22/2014   6/25/2014
Review By: IsThisThingOn
Pros: -Good course flow
-easy-ish to follow
-decent use of opportunities for elevation changes
-good seating at tees
Cons: -VERY outdated baskets: rusted, some with no inner chains
-tee boxes not well maintained
-no signage
-lack of variety in shot selection
-NO WORKING WATER FOUNTAINS IN A CITY PARK?
Other Thoughts: *This review is only for the north 9

This is a good course for casual players, or if you want a little tune up. Good place to bring newbies

The drives are all pretty straightforward. No real risk/reward. No blind shots. Nothing really turns right.

All in all worth it for getting in your fix and crossing one off your list, but it isn't super memorable.

Zilker Park

5+    1/1/2014   1/22/2014
Review By: lowrie4
This review was updated on 3/14/2015
Pros: As the title says, great course for beginners. Some variation in holes, but none are too challenging for beginners and most are fairly short (only two over 300 ft I think). Also, the entire course has recently undergone renovations and it looks wonderful now. New tee pads and tee signs.
Cons: Sadly there is only one hole on this course that is even moderately challenging. I love playing this course with friends that haven't played disc golf before, but aside from that this course isn't great compared to others around Austin.
Other Thoughts: There are many challenging courses around Austin which makes an easy course like Zilker a welcome to Austin disc golf. If you're introducing people to the sport, this is a great first course to take them to, but if not I would recommend playing somewhere else.

Needs help

1    12/1/2013   12/15/2013
Review By: nightwing
Pros: Awesome location near downtown.
Huge and varied park setting.
Some good shots on the northside.
Also some decent pin locations.
Boring southside nine.
Cons: Hideous baskets on the better nine.
VERY short layout.
Little elevation...typical park course
Other Thoughts: Zilker Park is due for an overhaul. I will change or delete my review if it improves but it has really been let go and that's just kind of depressing. It does function as a close by practice course to downtown Nashville, but with so many great courses nearby, I would skip it unless it is on your way or you just want a quick 'grab a few discs and go for an hour' kind of round.

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5