Austin, TX
South Course - Hole #1

This course is great!

5+    8/25/2012   8/25/2012
Review By: blake918
Pros: Really you get 2 separate courses with different character, one side of the street is short and the other side longer holes. Fun ,easy to play, doesn't require a lot of discs or experience. popular, easy to pick up a game. convenient location, quick rounds.
Cons: can get crowded, sometimes large groups slow up the curse, but nothing is too bad a the holes are short. course terrain is very worn down and flat, this course gets used. parking can sometimes be inconvenient, if all else fails park under the Mo- Pac bridge across the street.
Other Thoughts: I always considered this course to be like the municipal disc golf course, it gets very heavy use and is in a great location. the fun factor is defiantly there for this course, and it's a quick fun round that wont challenge you too much. Terrain wise its a dog track golf course, but defiantly get to this one as it is a great round where you'll enjoy yourself.

Short course but I love it

5+    7/3/2012   7/4/2012
Review By: gamblor01
Pros: Zilker is a great place to bring beginners as there are very few long holes. Many birdie opportunities if you can accurately throw 250-300ft drives, especially on the front 9. The course is generally very forgiving, allowing you to recover a bad drive with a well placed second throw. There are only a few holes where you might get stuck in the woods and they are all on the front 9.

It is also mostly flat with a few hills, so it is a great place to bring the family. I have brought my kids in the stroller along with me and have no problems getting around.
Cons: Difficult to navigate if you haven't played it before. Some of the holes are close to each other so beware of stray throws -- and try not to throw any yourself. :)
Other Thoughts: I love this course but work very close to it so I often play a round over my lunch break. Even with a group of 2 or 3 we can still finish in about an hour. If there are large groups in front of you, it's quite easy to skip ahead on the back 9.

Note that they charge $5 for parking on weekends, holidays, and special events (as of April 2012). You can park on the west side of Mopac (there is a little picnic area on the south side of Rollingwood Dr) and walk under the bridge if you don't want to pay. I have heard that parking under the bridge is no longer allowed and can result in getting your car towed.

One final note, this site seems to label the course as two 9 hole courses, but it was redone a few years ago and is now labeled as a full 18. So the "south" course is the front 9 and the "north" course is the back 9.

Zilker Park

1    6/17/2012   6/17/2012
Review By: 3OrangeWhips
Pros: Short but sweet, Zilker Park is one of those old school courses without a lot of bells and whistles but overflowing with character and charm. Despite its lack of length, every hole seems to be tucked into just the right nook or cranny to maximize the difficulty. The challenges mostly come from trees in the fairway blocking the direct route to the basket or trees off the fairway with very low overhanging canopies. Experienced players will have lots of birdie opportunities, but they will have to carefully place their drives to do so. Novice players and even families with kids will have a blast because there aren't any hazards that will lead to frustration. The tee pads are concrete, huge, and have concrete blocks that serve as benches and concrete markers that serve as tee signs. The concrete makes navigation a snap since you can easily spot the next tee from afar, and the orientation of the blocks leave no doubt to the direction to the basket. This is a very nice touch and seems to be a staple of the Austin area courses. The terrain is mostly flat, even though the few gentle hills factor in beautifully.
Cons: There is no signage and finding the first tee pad can be tricky without a map. The crowds on the course forced my twosome to jump around to avoid long backups caused by groups of six or more. Because the layout is so tight, this was actually pretty easy to do. The tight layout did cause some stray drives to come dangerously close to us. The baskets on the north course (see below) are really showing their age and I had some trouble with them not catching well. The navigation from 4 to 5 on the south course (see below) is not marked and there are two trails--the one to the left leads to the next tee while the one to the right leads to, well, we never found out. Take the trail to the left. Other than roads that are OB, there are not a lot of hazards to increase the level of difficulty.
Other Thoughts: Zilker Park actually has two separate nine hole courses (north and south) that make up the entire 18 hole course. It appears the south course is intended to play as 1-9, then the north course plays as 10-18. The south course appears to be the newer of the two, although both are quite mature and have aged well. The park itself is the centerpiece of Austin recreation and is maintained meticulously. If there was even a spot of trash on the ground, I never saw it. The park is easily accessible from the Mo-Pac freeway and all downtown surface streets, and there is plenty of parking on-site and under the freeway underpasses. There are many food offerings in the surrounding neighborhoods that are off the chart. While there are other more championship caliber courses around town, I chose Zilker Park as my first Austin course and was glad I did. It is a great introduction to the Austin disc golf scene and is sure to be enjoyed by many.

Great Course!

5+    5/9/2012   6/8/2012
Review By: longhornpowerlifter
Pros: a very well and maintained course. The course has a good balance of lefts and rights.
Cons: Can get a little crowded on the weekends, but if you go during the day on a weekday, it is really nice!
Other Thoughts: This is the very first course I ever played, and got me into this wonderful sport! It holds a very dear place in my heart! lol I love this place and it is not too difficult for beginners yet is very fun for more advanced and skilled players. Definitely a great place to play in the Austin area.

Zilker

2-4    4/12/2012   5/12/2012
Review By: ColinB
Pros: Nice open layout
Concrete pads and stone benches
Well maintained course
Good mix of lefts and rights and elevation chages
Fun and well layed out course, not overly difficult, but still challenging
Cons: The park can be crowded and at times you may have to pay for parking

I think I'm home

5+    1/6/2012   1/7/2012
Review By: Soulfire75
Pros: A fun course for players of all levels, alot of long open shots with some nice technical shots mixed in. A Beautiful Park in the heart of ATX!!
Cons: Can be very busy on the weekends and theres a park fee (Saturdays and Sundays only).
Other Thoughts: Zilker Park DGC is a very fun and a moderatley challenging course that is great for all levels of player. The front 9 is shorter and somewhat technical. The back 9 is longer and shots must be thought out well to be succsecful (big trees). The best thing about Zilker for me is that it's "FUN and Short" I can play a solo round at Zilker in less than an hour if I need a quick fix. Perfect for busy people who can't get enough. Zilker is also a great confidence builder. The holes are fun, challenging, but Not Impossible. The perfect course to get your "groove back".

Fun course

1    1/3/2012   1/4/2012
Review By: Le4385
Pros: Very nice concrete tee boxes on all 18 holes. Easy to navigate, especially if you have a map. Fun holes, one where you throw from behind an old outdoor amphiteatre. Catchers in good shape. Easy, fun, and fast play through.
Cons: Road traffic can get annoying. Huge groups of new players everywhere get annoying fast. No tee signs at all.
Other Thoughts: You can do most of the holes with just a mid range if you wanted to. Parking is free unless you park near barton springs.

Interesting Beginner Course

1    5/1/2011   5/3/2011
Review By: gek76
Pros: Mostly open holes making the course beginner friendly. They now have concrete tees on all holes. They also have large stone blocks at each tee for those waiting to throw to sit on. The few wooded hole didn't have tons of underbrush so very hard to lose a disc here. Friendly locals. Some of the tees where very large giving you freedom in how you tee off.
Cons: No Tee signs though one of the people I talked to who was part of the Worlds Biggest Disc Golf Weekend Event( WBDGW.com ) said tee signs would be in soon. Some of the holes are just to close for my comfort. I am not comfortable having disc shoot by with in 20 feet of me. This wasn't because I had thrown bad or the other people had it is just that some of the baskets and fairways are very close to each other. There may have been more trees in the past that helped prevent this. They are having a drought and you can see where trees have died off and they had to cut them down.
Other Thoughts: I really enjoyed attending the WBDGW event. Everyone was friendly.
This course is very beginner friendly. Easy to see most baskets from the tees. No overly long holes, no thing I have learned is beginners hate throwing 10 times on just one hole cause of how long it is. Little or no underbrush makes recovering from a bad throw easy. I will defiantly be bring my in-laws who are very much beginners to play here the next time I am in town. Layout if cart/stroller friendly. Saw people pushing baby strollers around the course. Saw a few dogs. Not sure if the park rules allow for off leash or not.

Should be 2 courses!!!

1    3/12/2011   3/13/2011
Pros: 1) One of the most unique tee areas I have ever seen on a course. If it wasn't raining miserably when I played here I would have taken a picture, but you literally seem to br throwing a tee shot from the alter of an old outdoor church. Holy Lord bless this drive!

2) Beginner friendly course because it is fairly open. There is a little bit of challenge on a few of the holes, but it is still pretty simple.

3) I am sure this place is crowded which I actually consider a positive . . . not because I want a crowd, but because I want this course to absorb a lot of people so the other courses in Austin are less crowded. DISCLAIMER: This does not mean this is a good course or one I would return to offten!

4) Teepads on the other nine are nice. They are kindof hexagonal and really allow you to take any angle of approach you want on each hole.

5) The technical holes on this course are fun. There are some shots you need to bring to the table which is always nice.
Cons: 1) One of the nines the tees are dirt and mud not even grass and dirt. These are some of the worst tees I have ever encountered.

2) There is nothing that indicates where the tees are or what tee you are standing on. This is a really old course so I assume this is because they do not expect outsiders coming to their course. Little did they know one of the top 25 traveled DGCR users was staying 4 miles away! You gotta be prepared.

3) Lots of picnic tables set in the middle of the course. This could be a positive for those picnicking but a negative for those trying to play their disc golf rounds as I am sure there would be kids running around.

4) Old discatcher baskets have rusty chains and definitely have seen better days.

5) The turf out here is really in rough shape. This is fo rsure one of the holdest most played courses in town. It probably is played a lot even in its current condition because of its central location to Austin. This would simply mean it would be near impossible to ever make turf repairs or upgrades to the course.

6) No signs available on this course which definitely helps the traveling disc golfer find where they are going.

7) Dangerous in a few spots where the next tees are too close to the previous baskets.

8) Not enough variety from hole to hole in terms of distance. They all seem to be very similar. I would rather play a 150' hole and a 300' hole than two 225' holes and all seem to be in that range of 225'-275'.

Other Thoughts: Overall this course only suffers in my rating because it is missing some of those things that courses typically need to keep me excited about coming back. One set of tees are horrendous the others are awesome. The baskets are old and rundown and could use an upgrade. The turf on a lot of this course are All of the issues are certainly fixable, I'm just not sure that there is a plan to improve the maintenance. The course really is two different nines and I almost feel like I should be able to give two ratings here. The older more technical shorter course would get about a 1.5 the other more parklike with the large older trees would get about a 2.5-3.0, but I need to decrease the course because it just feels like two courses.

Two Nines; Too Repetitive

1    4/14/2010   12/7/2010
Review By: Olorin
Pros:
*Tees on North course are nice large concrete hexagons
*There are some nice trees in places
*The map online at DGCR is basic, but essential. DO NOT go there without it!
*Convenient to get to, even on the bus.
Cons:
-Tee signs: There are no tee signs so navigation would be a nightmare without the course map. Make sure to get a map online and bring it with you!
-No hole lengths available because no signs.
-Road noise: On the North course several holes are way too close to the loud and busy Mo-Pac Road. The road is only 80 ft from hole 2, tee 4 is only 10 ft from the road, and tee 9 is only 15 from the road! The noise, road, and cars seriously detracted from my enjoyment of nature.
-Lack of fairway shape variety. There are too many straight holes and only 1 left to right, so it feels repetitive. On the South course every hole is straight. As a combined 18: 13 St/ 4 Left/ 1 Right
-Elevation variety is very limited. The South 9 are all flat. The elevation changes on the North course are minimal with the greatest elev. change only 8 ft. As a combined 18: 11 Flat/ 3 Up/ 4 Down.
-There's very little length variety. All 18 holes are rather short and very similar in length, so this gets repetitive.
-Terrain: I thought the terrain was OK, but below average. I thought the Texas type trees were nice, but other than that there wasn't much about the course beauty that stood out to me. There's not that much terrain variety with all 18 holes of grass mixed with scattered trees; this repetitiveness numbed my enjoyment.
-Tees on South course are only dirt and not very well marked.
-Lacking most amenities: No restrooms, no score cards, no warm up basket, no message board.
Course Level = Probably White (most suited for Intermediate players rated 875-925) but maybe Red (most suited for Juniors and Intermediate players rated 825-875). Without hole lengths I can't be more definitive.

~Since there are 18 holes why don't they renumber the course from 1-18? It doesn't make sense to me to keep it numbered as two nine hole courses.
~Baskets: most are only single chain Discatchers but there are some double chains. Many are old, though, and some are rusty.

With the lack of signs and the ensuing problems navigation problems, combined with the lackluster design, the repetitive holes, and the loud traffic noise on the North course my desire to play again at Zilker is not that much greater than zilch. (OK, that's a little harsh, but I was looking for a way to use that word here.) To put it another way-- with so many courses to choose from in Austin Zilker's enjoyment factor is near the bottom of my list, so if I had limited time I'd play elsewhere.

A note about my rating: My rating is a subjective measure of my enjoyment of the course, on the day I played it, and it is NOT intended to be a measure of the quality of the course. My Enjoyment Ratings are given "on the curve" in relation to all other courses I've played.

Look in the "Links/Files" section for my files with Hole-by-hole ratings and a more detailed Overall review. You can also read more of my review philosophy and rating notes at Disc Golf Course Reviews