San Marcos, TX
TxState Campus West Park Share
Uploaded By: MacGyver214 Hole #9 (Taken 3/2009)

A solid, diverse course

1    8/2/2013   8/4/2013
Review By: tfrank
Pros: This is a very good use of the available land. The down and back looks like it would be monotonous but the use of trees and elevation make all of the holes very different.
There are large elevation changes. This course is a lot harder than the map would indicate. It is also physically demanding.
There is a good variety of holes with some wide open holes and some very, very tight wooded holes.
Cons: Bring a map. The holes are not well marked. Some of the holes are tee signs and some don't. I don't know if they were taken or not installed. It resulted in lots of scouting to find the baskets.
The tees are just boxes of dirt and rocks. Wear shoes. The tees scraped up my feet in sandals.
Bring lots of water. I see now that there is a fountain by tee 9 but I didn't bring a map so it was a death march.
There are few opportunities for a long drive. Most holes are under 300'.
Other Thoughts: Currently there is construction that forces you to walk back up 6 and 5 to get to tee 13.
The holes should not all be par 3. The 3's that should be 4's make up for the 3's that should be 2's so it probably evens out in the end.
Since you can't park on campus, give some thought to where you park in the neighborhood. My mile walk after 2+ hours hiking in the sun wasn't the best plan.

Disc in the Drain

1    10/8/2011   10/11/2011
Review By: gek76
Pros: A variety of holes. A few long open holes so you can really see how far you can throw. Some tight and technical holes that will test your accuracy and control. Course was easy to find and park was convenient to first and last hole. Baskets where in good shape. Some interesting mandatory obstacles.
Cons: Dirt tees that were very uneven and filled with water or turn very slick after a rain. No signs at tees, there were some some small temporary Disc Craft flags stuck at the tees with a number written on them but due to the rain these where hard to read or missing. It was hard on hole 2 to know what basket to throw. Turns out you throw over the basket for 14( Safety Hazard? ). Getting from 12 to 13 was a chore. A majority of the holes are laid out in the drainage area for the college. Seeing as how it had just rained this meant there was tons of mud and squishy ground.
Other Thoughts: I will admit that playing a course right after or during the rain is not the best time to see a course for the first time. However there were things missing from this course that were not caused by the rain. Tee pads where some of the worst I have played on. If I hadn't printed off a map before coming I would have been lost and since they moved a couple of holes I still had to do some searching. This course is not stroller or cart friendly. Being that is runs next to and crosses roads I would guess it isn't very dog friendly.

I had high hopes for playing a course on a college campus. I figured I would find a course that was taken care of and a source of pride for the school. What I found was a course that felt like it was just throw onto some useless land by some guys trying to hide it from the rest of the school. With great courses like Circle C Metro just a few minutes north I very much doubt I will ever play this course again.

Nice elevation changes

5+    8/5/2010   8/10/2010
Review By: Guru10
This review was updated on 12/12/2010
Pros: Being a San Martian, I consider this my home course. Everytime I go, which is at least twice a week, there is no one there and parking is right next to hole 1.

I really like the elevation changes, as it reminds you that you are in the hill country. Hole 1 is unrelenting if thrown too far right, something like a 50' hill side with terribly tall grass (6'+!). But the others are not so punishing...unless you are nervous about the busy street next to most of the front 6 holes and last 4 holes.

FAVORITE HOLE: hole 9. Its on the top of a hill next to one of the campus eating halls, from where a nice soaring shot will waver down and around a to the pin, located behind a single, solitary tree in the bottom of the hillside. Runner up would be hole 8, again on top of a hill, this time higher but shorter and a blind shot downhill. Listen for the *ching*
Cons: First few holes can really spoil a decent course, due to the huge hillside (hole 1) and the busy road alongside the next several holes. Too many times has my disc come close to nailing a moving car or crossed the street. But now that I've gotten better, the cars are just part of the course.

Mosquitos and other hungry bugs are everywhere on holes 5, 6 and 7. Bring some spray.
Other Thoughts: UPDATE: some holes have been redesigned (hole 5 and 6 are combined with a new basket placement. Bonus hole 19 is new 18. Also practice basket is installed.

The unfinished yet finished course.

1    4/16/2010   4/27/2010
Review By: srm_520
Pros: TxState Campus West Park biggest pro may be the number of memorable holes that combine elevation, good foliage, and even some buildings. There truly is a good blend of diverse hole set ups to make you use all the disc in your bag. Although, I'm not a huge fan of banking a driver off the parking garage wall to make my shot. Being on a college campus you'll have access to facilities and normal amenities usually found in a classic college town. There is also a lot of good tree cover for those hot Texas summers.

Holes #5 - #11 feel like the bread and butter of this course, and would be the main reason to make a return trip. The more I play - the more a fan I am of short and tight technical holes, and with a little elevation in play I went from a near ace to a bogey due to a rolling putt. It's frustrating, but oh so good. Hole #7 is a fantastic down hill pitch 157' forcing you to cut an anhyzer through a grouping of trees. One other cool hole worth mentioning is #18 on the map as it's a deceptively easy line to the pin, with a sixty foot drop if you over shoot or go right more than 15'.

BEST HOLE/S: #1; #5; #7 (MAP)
Cons: As much as I loved certain holes, holistically this course has a lot of glaring issues that will prevent it from ever becoming a destination location. Signage, tee box areas, navigation problems, and space limitations are all issues you'll have to contend with.

First navigation - for first timers, directions leading to the course go by the middle of the course, and our natural instinct was to just jump on. And of course, I forgot the map I printed as I preach so many times to bring. We played #11 and moved onto #7 since it looks to be a natural progression. Instead, don't miss your trip across the road to #12. Experienced players to the course aren't going to have an issue, but just be warned and bring your map!

Second, after the redesign, there are small rocks with numbers spray painted onto them. Some are legible and some are not. Interesting note here - there is an extra hole. Past #17 on the map, there is a dogleg right at the crest of the hill that has been spray painted #18. Keeping this in mind, keeping your score on this site is a challenge since #18 on the map is actually #1, so #1 is #2 and so on. The markings on the course compensate poorly for this by marking #16 and #17 on the map as two #17's spray painted on the rocks. Confused yet? In essence, you have 19 holes you can play, but it's a confusing bonus.

Not much to mention about the tee boxes except that I'm not a fan of crushed gravel. At this point, if there's not concrete, then I'd rather just throw from the grass. On top of this, some boxes i.e. #2 on the map are abnormally huge, while holes like #12 don't give you much room to work. To me, it's always these finishing touches that separate a good course from a great course.

Finally, the space limitations are worth a mention. There is a very busy road on the west side of most holes and then building hugging the other side. Cars, people, and concrete walls - they are all subject to an errant throw on this course. My brother threw from #1 on the map and literally put it in the back of the bottom parking garage. His second throw glided right between to passing cars on the street. That's a lot of potentially dangerous golf if you're not conservative.

WORST HOLE/S: #2 (MAP)
Other Thoughts: Please note that all of the hole numbers reference are based on the map under links and not the spray painted markings on the course. After the redesign and the additional hole, this course is extremely hard to track your score accurately. You'll just have to pick your preference and go with it.

I really enjoyed this course considering the land space and route limitations. Basically, they have carved the best possible course out of the leftover strip of land not being used for parking or buildings. There are a few overlap issues like #1 versus #13 and a busy day could find some people in your fairway, but overall it's still a great experience. This is a very solid three disc course, and would go up at least half a disc if just the signage was fixed.

A Nice Surprise

1    11/29/2009   11/29/2009
Review By: austoroc
Pros: There's some variety in layout design on this course which makes it more fun to play.

When I played today, there wasn't a soul in sight. But then I realized the students probably haven't gotten back from their Thanksgiving break/trip.
Cons: There are few weaknesses that I think detracts from the overall experience one could have gotten more out of this course.

The first thing I have noticed is the confusing lack of proper markers. I came here with a friend who is a student at Texas State, which helped tremendously. The signs doesn't exist, which is a shame. (I didn't print out a map...)

The second thing is that, I was told that the parking lot next to the #1 hole (as shown on the map here on the site) is restricted to students only. I parked across the street from one of the holes and played from there instead of starting on #1.

The other thing I found slightly awkward is the proximity some of the holes are to the busy roads alongside the fairways. The same can be true about the parking garage, and I can't imagine how many discs have struck the cars. I'd be nervous about possible stray shots I'd throw toward the cars...
Other Thoughts: I would come back here again at different times of the year to see how the course play out....

Windy Hills

5+    4/9/2009   4/10/2009
Review By: texasemt13
Pros: This course is literally 2 minutes from my house (walking). It's a very challenging course but you better be prepared to climb some hills. Good mix of long & short, wooded & open, hyzer & anhyzer shots.
Cons: Almost every basket is on the side of the hill (almost forces you to lay up and play conservative) and we all know that rotating objects like to stand up and roll...

Tee boxes aren't that great as well, some at least have some crushed gravel and boards but a lot are just the worn spots (watch out for muddy tee boxes after a rain).
Other Thoughts: Wish this campus would get some REAL intramural sports (not just football and softball)... they have hundreds of disc golfers and not one damn sign showing where hole # 1 is.

5+    4/5/2009   4/6/2009
Review By: rkell87
Pros: scenic and challenging
Cons: bad teeboxs
Other Thoughts: i live here in san marcos and play this course 4+ times a week and its a very diffacult course for noobs but its not as hard too navigate as everybody makes it out to be. if its your first time out have somebody tell you where tee 1 is look left and thats the basket for hole 118 and the course completly circles back on itself.

car are not supposed to drive out the parking garage just in on hole 1 they go out the other side so just wait till the car is in the garage. there are no out of bounds just try not to throw on the road but the cars are always coming so you just deal

hole 9 is steep down hill and and i always throw over the railing where students are always walking and the kids that walk that path know whats up a simple HEADS UP! is fine.

hole 16 the creek bed is always dry cause it flows to the pond which has water in it 8 of 12 months they have let a branch grow over the water in the straightest path from tee to basket which i know is claming discs cause when it robbed my best shot at my first ace i found 4 disc in the spot where mine was floating.

the small parking lot ericj refers to is dirt whre txst maintince and construction workers park and half way to a short basket and easily avoidable if you want to

also some holes have you walk past the next tee when playing the previous hole just look around

the right curve down a steep hill the side winder refers to is hloe 7 and is also my favorate also the people that live in the home at 17 dont care just dont break a window they have left an opening in the side of the fence by the pin to get your disc

all baskets are from pre 2000 except hole 10 which is brand new yellow top because the original was taken out by a drunk driver but we had a pole with a make shift basket and chains welded to a car rim on top for a while that someone did that was nice.

hole 18 is is dry dirt with 2 rocks to mark the tee currently

side arm rh do well here.

the tee is short on most holes and are now mostly dirt with big divits i always feel im gonna roll or break my ankle buts thats my only beef but i really like this course

Heartbeat or Heartbreak?

1    3/29/2009   3/31/2009
Review By: MacGyver214
Pros: Beautiful course and well balanced including Shade vs. Sun. Very open for the most part.

The holes are addictively challenging - make sure you are prepared for rock climbing on holes 4 & 5.

Holes #8 - #11 encircle a nice outdoor ampitheater.

#16 is a nicely designed water hole.

#17 is quite unique with the 90 left turn around a private residence.

I would play this course again! Online course map is very accurate & informative.

As for most any DGC, some improvements (starting with concrete tees) could render this course above-par.
Cons: This course was extremely busy. I played on a Sunday during the college semester & it seems a lot of weekend college residents play. I can't imagine trying to play while school is in session during the week!!

#1 & #13 are often almost always confused (even I did) unless you've paid attention to the accurate course map provided (Advised since there is no signage).

Holes #1, #2, #3, & #14 are in play very close to busy road, so make sure you're insured when you drive on Moore St. :) Discs are regular road kill here.

The baskets seem to be custom made & are not standard quality. In fact some baskets are bent & misshapen (i.e. Hole #4). It's like playing basketball with a bent rim. Be careful when putting!
Other Thoughts: I had no idea the exact condition of this course, but I knew it was worth trying out - a risk that was worth taking & driving 30 miles to play. As it turns out, I am glad to have completed a challenging & scenic course!

5+    3/17/2009   3/18/2009
Review By: sidewinding
Pros: From a design standpoint this course has almost everything I look for in a course:

Scenic Beauty. Since it's on campus it is has pretty terrain with large trees and plenty of shade.

Amazing elevation changes. Of the 50 courses I've played (all in Texas) this one has the funnest elevation changes. Hole #1 is like throwing off the top of a four story building. #5 ( I think) was my favorite. It's a 216' right curve down a very steep hill. The basket is hidden by the canopies of some large trees. Many of the holes have the teepad terraced into the side of a hill and the pin placement on the side of the hill so after your disc lands it can stand up and roll very far down the hill.

#16 has you throwing directly over a small pond. You may want to go around it to the left. It is well placed and is a hungry little pond.

#12 and #18 are unusual holes in that they have steep drops off the side of their fairways. If you go off one of these you'll have to walk out of your way to get down to where you can recover your disc.

The variety of shots is high from open to heavily wooded, from straight to left or right curved, from 200' to 426'

Even though the tee pads are not great someone did a great job of framing them, especially the ones that are terraced into the side of the hills. What's nice about the frames is they help you navigate the course.
Cons: The tee pads are very uneven crushed granite.

There are no signs. If the tee pads were not framed this course would be almost unplayable due to being un-navigable (is that a word?) I could not get the entire course map to fit to one page for printing so I had to just wing it without a map. For this reason I did not know #9 was a right curve so I threw to #10's basket which is straight from #9's teepad.

#17 is a left dogleg around someone's home and the basket feels like it's in the side yard of the house. It's not a bad hole, I just don't feel comfortable throwing that close to someone's home.

There is a very busy road that you throw parallel to on a couple of holes. Not only is their a slight potential to accidentally throw into the road but the sound of the cars going by so fast takes away from the enjoyment of being out in nature.

There is a long walk between a few holes #12-#13, #17-#18.

Since it plays around a campus there are many obstacles and potential safety issues. It is our responsibility as disc golfers to not throw if we believe there is any potential to endanger pedestrians. So be prepared to skip a hole or two depending on how busy it is when you play.

Not my favorite

5+    12/13/2008   1/13/2009
Review By: Forbes
Pros: The only pro I have for this course is that I litteraly am 3 minutes away from it.
Cons: Its confusing because there are no signs. If you are not with someone who has played it before you would not be able to figure out how to play it.
Other Thoughts: Be careful on the first hole. Ive seen several cars get hit on this first hole.