Layout Extinct

Orlando, FL
University of Central Florida - Old Layout Share
Uploaded By: stsren Hole #18 (Taken 5/2010)

Technical course, or just plain tedious?

1    12/12/2009   12/12/2009
Review By: stsren
This review was updated on 6/5/2010
Pros: Baskets are labeled with hole numbers.
Black tee pads are relatively easy to find for most holes.
Most tee boxes now have brown wooden signs with numbers on them, often with a sheet of paper that has a blurb about some local flora / fauna.
Garbage or 2 available on the course.
Cons: No on-site facilities.
Spotter is mandatory unless you are incredibly brave or your average throw is 10ft. If you don't have a spotter, you will almost certainly lose plastic.
Short tee pads, rubber tee pads.
Could not find all Gold Tee Pads.
Generally cannot see basket from tees, forcing you to walk ahead to find the pin to confirm you're on the right path.
What the course refers to as a "fairway" would pass for a wide cart-path for most holes, forcing you to play very conservative, use very brightly colored disks, and often go trekking out into the unpopular scrub palms. There are several areas where the bushes and palms are too thick to enter, which means lost discs are a high probability.
Not enough garbage cans (this is contributing to lots of trash on the course).
Not enough benches along the way.
Other Thoughts: There may have been a fire within the past year, because some of the undergrowth was gone and it was pretty easy to find my disks that I regularly tossed into the "rough." I also had a very good and dedicated spotter with me.

I can't see this course being much fun on a regular basis with the narrow paths and unpopular (not to mention uncomfortable to walk in) palms...

Overall the course IS playable, but with the restrictions due to the nearly complete lack of open spaces, I don't think the course is enjoyable.

You could probably play the back 9 without a spotter, because it is more open.

***Update*** I added photos of the UCF course. Hopefully they tell the tale that my words cannot convey.

I give up.

1    10/6/2009   10/9/2009
Review By: LoneGraffitist
Pros: there are free plastic course maps and score cards at the pavilion
Cons: this is not a course. it is a trail thru waist-deep saw-palmettos, with periodic baskets along the way. Great shots are unplayable unless they fall within the 8 foot wide trail. i lost a disc one foot or so off the trail, couldn't find it after 20 min of looking. After 3 holes, i had lost a favorite disc, cut my leg, and saw a snake. i decided not to lose the rest of my bag by continuing.
Other Thoughts: do not play this course.

NOT for the Fun of It!

1    6/25/2009   6/28/2009
Review By: Roller Coasters
Pros: There are 18 holes with baskets in good condition. We also saw the same gopher tortoise fight the the other reviewer saw. It was the best part of the round.
Cons: This "course" is so overgrown that it has made it nearly unplayable. There are only 3 holes on the course that are in the open. The others have trails as fairways. We are talking barely 10 feet wide. Anything else will put you in either saw palmettos or heavy scrub that is even more impossible to find discs in than the palmettos.
Other Thoughts: I lost my favorite Buzzz no more than 20 feet from a basket. 20 FEET! Maybe I'm a bit elitist, but I subscribe to the theory that if you have a good approach shot that lands within 20 feet of the basket, you should be able to find the disc. There was no point during the round that I had any fun playing. In fact, it was a painful experience, both mentally and physically. I shot 4 over par, but it felt like the course beat us up. If this were the only course around, I would have to hang it up or invest in more portable baskets and set up my own. Do yourself a favor and go to the other great courses that Orlando has to offer. As for this one, I have no intention of playing a second round and, unless you are trying to play them all, save yourself the pain and your discs and stay away.

Its a trap, don't do it!

1    6/25/2009   6/26/2009
Review By: BILL7718
Pros: There are 18 holes. I saw two gopher tortoises fighting each other at the pavilion at the start of the course, which actually was very cool.
Cons: The maps at the holes don't have a "you are here" indication, so I didn't really know where I was going. The course must have been built when the vegetation was low, because the course is almost completely unplayable now. Even if you could see where your disk went, you could not wade through the saw palmettos to get to it. I haven't played DG in a long time because of a shoulder injury, and this was my second outing after discovering I could play again. I was desparate to play, and still left after 3 holes and 1 lost disk.
Other Thoughts: Since the tees are shredded rubber just laying on the path between palmettos, the course should be relocated to somewhere playable.

Check here for lost disc

2-4    12/23/2008   12/23/2008
Review By: crouchingwombat
Pros: The course can be very nice in some reasonable weather with long pants on. If you have a decent amount of accuracy there less of a chance of loosing your discs. The black tees are not bad, most players can get it to the basked making for an easy par and birdie on some holes. The golden tees will go under cons... The last few holes 10-18 are pretty fun and can be very rewarding with a nice drive. The last 3 holes go around a lake and you don't really have to worry about the lake. It's a nice change of scenery. Course can be fun if you don't have to go into the blood sucking thorns and palmettos.
Cons: Blood sucking palmettos and thorns.
A cypress dome that can get pretty wet for holes 3-6.
Most holes don't really have anywhere for you to lay it up. The drives require great prescision or you'll be searching the brush for quite a bit. It's Fla so it can be a bit hot during the summer months. The parking isn't great, I think you have to pay if you play during the school days.
Other Thoughts: It's more of a hike than a DG course but it's close to my house and some of the holes are quite fun. I'll just stick to the black pads so I don't have to bomb any throws and loose my discs.

Beg to differ

1    1/3/2008   4/27/2008
Review By: denny ritner
This review was updated on 6/29/2009
Pros: Located on the UCF campus.
Cons: The "fairways" are nature paths. Off the paths is nasty, nasty disc-eating blood-sucking saw palmettos. Some of the baskets are completely blind from the tee over vast fields of saw palms. Consider yourself lucky if you only lose a few discs and not an arm or a leg in the process.

Parking is easy - as long as you don't mind paying the $5.

The tee pads are recycled rubber similar to the mulch type stuff they have on kid's playgrounds. They will wear very quickly if the course gets any play and are very lumpy.
Other Thoughts: Course doesn't pass the "sandals" test and doesn't even pass the "shorts" test, which kinda sucks considering it's located in FLORIDA! If you absolutely cannot resist the urge to go and play every new "course" then be sure to bring spotters and leave your favorite discs at home.

bring a spotter

4/1/2008   4/9/2008
Review By: mschmi02
This review was updated on 6/24/2008
Pros: Great equiptment, good location. We needed a good course in E Orlando! Lots of challenging holes. Easy access, easy parking (parking is free on weekends)
Cons: You have to bring a spotter in order to play most of the holes.
Other Thoughts: This course will get better over time, but for now it is best to bring a partner to watch your disc while you hrow... otherwise you'll lose a bunch of them. It is basically a course that follows a naturepath... lots of switchbacks means a lot of hunting for the next hole. None of the signs are painted yet but there are maps displayed pretty frequently.