Layout Extinct

3 / 208ft.   3 / --   3 / 208ft.   3 / -- Par / Distance:

Great Beginner course.

2-4    5/14/2010   5/14/2010
Review By: adjohnson2008
Pros: There is a pretty good mixture of hole. Some are pretty short. And there a a few longer holes. Most of the holes are on the shorter side. The are some wide open holes and some holes good obstetrical. Over all a great course for beginners.
Cons: There are not any holes to really let loose on. The first few hole are way to easy. The course was soggy but playable. Some holes have high wind, but it makes it interesting.
Other Thoughts: Overall it was a good course to have a good time one. Pretty good scenery as well.

Nice beginner course

5+    1/16/2010   2/8/2010
Review By: esjaygee
Pros: - Very beginner friendly.
- Good use of the land, especially on the wooded holes
- Good signage, though a few are missing. Some have been replaced recently.
- Open year round.
- Can play a round quickly.
- Has a practice basket.
- Good course to play night disc golf.
- Many ace and birdie opportunities
Cons: - Shares its parking lot with a baseball field. On game days it gets very crowded and it's tough to find parking.
- The first five holes. While being great for a beginner and warming up, after playing the course many times, they do get a little boring.
- Ivy, thorny trees and mosquitoes in July.
- Tees are dirt with woodchips. They are fine in the spring, but come late summer many turn into big ditches and in winter they turn into small ice ponds.
- Can be crowded sometimes, especially after school and on Friday nights. The Sports complex down the road is never crowded and I'll often go there during those hours.
- Some areas can be very wet after a rainfall, especially the first four holes and the area around hole 10.
- Garbage cans are overflowing often.
Other Thoughts: If you're in the area and interested in playing a round, send me a message. Abendschein Park is the park were I cut my teeth into the world of disc golf. While it's not a huge course, I feel it does succeed in what it's meant to be, a beginner course - and still has a few challenging holes for the intermediate player.

Walkthrough:
It was nice to learn to drive on some wide open holes, and you get five of those to start, save some trees on the right of hole two. They vary in distance with the 4th hole being the longest. You go into the woods for holes six through nine, six you have to throw around a tree but it's a birdie hole. Hole seven requires a hyzer and is surrounded by woods. Hole eight requires an anhyzer or throwing it over the trees, I've been tossing a thumber with good success on that one. Nine plays out of the woods with trees on the left and way off on the right. The best part of the course is the back nine. 10 is slightly uphill with woods behind it. 11's basket is protected by trees but there's an opening to right that seemed pretty darn narrow for a beginner. 12 is a longer hole with woods on the left and right and some free standing trees along the way. 13 still gives me fits, it is a straight shot with woods on the right and the basket is tucked between woods and a huge pine tree. If you have a super straight shot, it shouldn't be a problem, but I haven't mastered that art yet. 14 is perhaps the easiest hole as I've carded many birdies on here. A low hanging branch makes it a lot tougher in summer than in winter and fall. There is a river on the right that could eat a disc if it catches a tree as I lost one there early on. 15 is another short hole with a handful of trees to make it a bit trickier. 16 is the longest and probably toughest hole on the course for me. The basket it protected by a wall of trees so you have to have a big hyzer to reach it. There are some shrubs on the right of the hole as well so if you miss right, you could have some trouble. 17 sits atop a hill with woods on your left and a big tree on your right, one of the easier holes on the course, where I got my "almost" ace. 18 plays back down the hill 10 came up and outside of a few trees it's fairly easy.

Overall, it's a great beginner course and I can get a round done in less than an hour. You'll often find a few guys (jpaceman on youtube) filming themselves trying to get aces here, but I tend to choke with the camera on me. This course has been rumored to be taken out sometime soon, hopefully I get another year here because it's the closest to my house and I enjoy playing here.

Put-put disc golf. Fun little course.

5+    10/20/2009   12/3/2009
Review By: timmi_g
Pros: Well thought out little course just south of Milwaukee a few miles.There's only a couple of longish shots, & some nice little ace runs all over this course. Usually ample parking right at the start/finish area of the course. OK signage, but could use some updating.
Cons: -signage needs to be updated.
-poison ivy on the back side of the course.
-Mosquitoes are insane on this course. BRING THAT BUG SPRAY!!
Other Thoughts: This is one of my favorite courses to go play on a late afternoon. It is short enough that you can get 2 sometimes 3 rounds in after a day of work before you run out of light. On the down side, I'll surely have some brain malady from all the bug spray I've used here.

Variety

1    9/30/2009   9/30/2009
Review By: clipnfly
This review was updated on 7/27/2010
Pros: Nice park and good overall set up. Signage and flow are good. Park is clean. Good variety of holes, lenghts and experiences here. Course does not cross other use areas, but does cross road between 4 and 5. baskets are all in good shape. garbage cans at many tees for pop cans and such. Nice. Played here again. Like it even better in summer. Rough areas are not too rough. Almost wildflower meadows. Not too deep, but rough enough to know you lost the fairway. Woods were not buggy at all, but I did not have to ge very deep. I pared all holes 'cept for birdies on 6 and 15... which was nice... but could have done much better had I not been first timing it with a number of brnad new discs.
Cons: A few tee signs are missing. The one let down here are the tee pads. The teeing areas are well worn. more like tee troughs. The ground is worn bare and the depressions can be muddy at the centers. In many cases I was forced to tee off from along side the pad... disturbing the original intent of the design of the hole. In some cases this does alter play esp. on the shorter holes. The need to work from the side alters the approach a bit. In others, not so much. This time of the year (late July) this tee pad thing was zero issue as it is hot as He** and all were dry... and... dry, they were just fine. With the right shoes, grip was just dandy.
Other Thoughts: I really like the variety here and the way it flows. First 4 holes are wide open grass area. Distances are middle of the pack (for this course) so these serve as a nice warm-up. Get the arm loose and get a feel for how you are throwing for the day. The next few head towards and into the more wooded/wild portion of the course. These holes are shorter but a bit more technical. You will need to make disc and shot selections here more so than 1 through 5. There are dog legs to both left and right. Many slightly wayward shots put you into the rough. Small trees provide nice challenges/options. There are a piar of par 5 on the back 9 making for some added length (comparitively). Bottom line... All good fun. Now that I am back with nearly a year of experience I can say this course is a lot shorter than I remember... No real big arm opps here... I guess my arm is getting bigger. overall... I will play here every chance I get.

Short

5+    9/13/2009   9/13/2009
Review By: TheDGWizard
This review was updated on 8/19/2011
Pros: -Quick course to play. Takes my friend and I about 45 minutes.
-You'll get some low scores, making you feel better about your game.
-It's not usually too crowded (at least when I go)
-Lots of potential to get an ace
-Fair variety of hole setups (after the first 5).
-Easy layout to follow
Cons: -Worn out tee boxes.
-Not much of a challenge. Even as a beginner, There's good potential for a birdie or ace on basically every hole.
-The first 4 holes are in a flat, open field. Boring.
-It's very short. The longest hole is only 373, and the shortest is 136.

Other Thoughts: Despite its shortcomings, it's still fun to play. It's probably a very good course for beginners or children to play.

Of the courses I regularly play, this one is my least favorite. But I'll continue to play it because it's the only one available when I'm in that area.

5+    8/25/2009   8/25/2009
Review By: DarthErikUWRF
Pros: -Easy to follow design.
-Nice relaxing course to play
-Some challenging shots but still fun to play for all range of abilities of disc golfers.
Cons: -Very popular course, leads to long waits to throw.
- When it rains more water hazards appear around the course
-the Thornapple Trees cause problems.
Other Thoughts: It is a fun course to play for everyone, no matter what your ability is. Beware of some trees, otherwise there is no problem with this course.

5+    8/13/2009   8/16/2009
Review By: lynne302
Pros: -easy layout to follow, you don't spend your time trying to figure out what hole to go to next.
-it is great for beginners, not a lot of risk of losing a disc or getting frustrated
- it is great for all ages and capabilities, I've played with a 6 year old and a 60 year old and everyone in between.
- the back 9 are my favorite holes
Cons: - some holes are missing signs (#13 and #15)
- tee boxes are wood chips
- it is in a flood plain so be careful when it rains
- the river on #14...could be potentially bad
Other Thoughts: It may not be an extremely challenging course, but it is great to just get out and play and have fun. We play the course, with a large group, regularly just to unwind after work.

Cool little course

2-4    7/15/2009   7/16/2009
Review By: Unsourced
This review was updated on 1/4/2010
Pros: -Practice basket.
-Very nice course to bring beginners out on.
-About four or five very nice holes.
-Easy to navigate.
-Scenery is pretty nice once you get into the wooded holes.
-Nice ace opportunities.
Cons: -First four holes are kind of boring
-Tee pads!!!
-Wooded areas there still are next to no obstacles.
-Missing two signs.
-Airplanes overhead and police sirens half the time. (not too secluded)

C- = a little below average for a 9 holer

1    4/29/2009   6/7/2009
Pros: What I personally like and how this course stacks up:
1) Holes with good risk/reward. Fair, but harsh punishment for bad decisions or execution. == C-
2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities for me. I throw 300' accurately, 360' max. == C+
3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography == C+
4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion. == B-
5) Bonus points for multi-shot holes with defined landing zones, good risk/reward and multiple options to play them. == N/A

Fun, Well Laid Out

2-4    5/31/2009   6/2/2009
Review By: Doctor Faustus
Pros: Back 9 are fantastic, lots of fun. Well Laid Out Course makes it easy to pick and choose holes you want to play.
Cons: Lots of Airplanes overhead, First Five holes are kind of boring, can get busy. Not maintained as often as should be.
Other Thoughts: Watch out for the Thornapple trees!!!